Family Time

Stay (넌 그대로 있어도 돼) Take My Hand Book 2 | Editting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What if we got married?"

"Go to sleep, Tuan."

Mark rolled his eyes, and threw the pillow he'd been hugging at Eunhye, who was lying on the other bed a good three feet away from his, with her back to him.

"Propose anhaeI'm not proposing," Mark assured her. "Not yet anyway. Keunyang saenggakhaebwaJust think about it. Kyeorheun hamyeon eodineun salkka?If we got married, where will we live?"

"Wae keureon saenggak isseo?Why do you have those kind of thoughts?"

"LA? Philippines? Hankuk?Korean? Eodi?" he went on. "Hey. I'm not asking you to marry me right away. Keunyang plans isseoya dwaeWe should have plans."

She turned to lie down facing him.

"I'll go where you go," she said.


***********

 

"Slow down." Mark held on to the seatbelt.

"Jangnan hae?You kidding? Igigo shipeoI wanna win." Eunhye shifted the gear before turning without slowing down. She never felt so exhilerated before. "Kachi kagoshipeun saram neoyaYou're the one who wanted to tag along." She stepped on the gas, amazed that she still knew the roads.

Mark, on the other hand, tightened his grip on the dashboard, staring at the unfamiliar highway straight ahead with trepidation. He had known his girlfriend loved cars. Her canary yellow sportscar back in Seoul was a good evidence of that. But he didn't know it was to the extent that she'd drive her cousin's Lancer EX in a race with two of her cousins. Yeah, sure, Mark would admit that she looked hot behind the wheel, but the glint in her eyes was almost manic, it sent shivers down his spine. Maybe he should have heeded Gaeil's advice and stayed with the family, who were going to a morning swim on the beach. The hiking she told him about the night earlier had vanished just as soon as a midnight blue Lancer pulled up their driveway at 5:30 in the morning.

"Nal midobwaTrust me on this," she told Mark, giving him a sideway glance.

"Just keep your eyes on the road."

She chuckled but did as she was told. Spotting the finish point, she smiled. Her cousins were behind her, and she wanted to keep it that way. She stepped on it, and within seven seconds, she pulled up on a familiar driveway of a church by the beach. Finally, Mark could breathe.

Eunhye smugly got out of the car. Mark could imagine her pulling a stick out of her pocket and lighting it. Good thing she didn't smoke. He stayed in the car as the other two cars pull up by the side of the road, next to the one Eunhye parked.

"I went easy on you," Ren told his cousin, putting a proud arm over Eunhye's shoulder.

"Shut up. I beat your ."

"And mine, too," MM, another cousin got out of the car. "Hey, Mark, you okay over there?"

Mark smiled and waved at him. "She won."

"That she did," MM remarked and opened his wallet. They betted hundred dollars that Eunhye would never win against them, and now he handed her the money.

"Nah, keep it," Eunhye said, smirking.

"Shut up, don't humiliate me that way," MM said and put the money in her hand. "Uncle Chris better not hear this."

"Oh, I'm definitely telling him," Ren remarked. "Maybe I'll save lives that way, someday."

"My life, for one," Mark said, sticking his head out the window, making Eunhye's cousins laugh. Eunhye got inside the car, and took the car out of Park. "Please, no more race on the way back."

When they got back, it was just 7 AM and so they went to eat breakfast and followed the rest of her cousins (she seemed to have ininite supply of cousins) to the beach just a few meters south of their house. It was an open beach, and so it was free. Her family was there, the kids were playing a game very much like tag along the shore.

"Keu game mwoya?What are they playing?" Mark asked her, curious.

"Patintero. Yeongo neun mollaI don't know what it's called in English." She explained to Mark the rules of the game. There was a big box drawn on the sand, divided into four, and five people walked along the lines as one team and another team tries to get past all five people and back to score. "Haebolkka?Wanna try it?"

Mark wiggled his eyebrows as a yes, and so Eunhye talked to the kids. Soon, they were playing with them, Mark on one team, Eunhye on the other. Eunhye was on the team along the lines, and Mark was with the one trying to get inside the box. The box was small for them, and so there was no way Mark was getting past Eunhye.

"I've been playing this since I was five," she boasted. "Igiji mothaeYou're not getting past me."

"Watch me."

Mark feinted running past her left, and then right, and stepped back. Eunhye followed his every step. One kid on Mark's team got past her, and Mark smirked.

"I let her through," Eunhye told him. "Keunyang neoman bolkkeI'll be watching just you."

"JohaI like that," he replied and gave her a wink, making her giggle.

He feinted and she followed, apparently still had her reflexes in the game. Mark whispered something to Ann, her niece that was on Mark's team, and the girl giggled. Then, she and Mark went to get past her at the same time, and Eunhye reached for Ann just as the girl ran past her, and Mark got through. The place was filled with the children's laughter, Ann and Eunhye the highest pitch.

"Igyeosseo!I won!" Mark said, laughing at Eunhye. He gave the kids on his team high fives.

"C'mon!" Ann's mom(Eunhye's cousin) called them all. "We have to leave after lunch. You need to get ready!"

And so along with the others, Mark and Eunhye walked back to the house, hand in hand. 


*********


*Your love is like a river
Peaceful and deep (and deep)
Your soul is like a secret
That I never could keep
When I look into your eyes
I know that it's true
God must have spent...
A little more time on you...*

As three among her male cousins(with singing talents that humbled a Kpop idol, and seemed to run in their family) sang their own rendition of N' Sync's "God Must Have Spent", Mark leaned in and whispered on Eunhye's ear. 

"Neon norae anhaeYou're not singing?"

"Musun norae?What song?" she asked, a playful smile on her lips. "Don't say 'yes', run away now. I'll meet you when you're out of the church at the backdoor..."

Mark snickered along with some of her cousins standing on the side of the gazebo where the ceremony was held. There had been only a few chairs, and the younger generation had offered to give up their seats for the older ones.

"Smile," Gaeil told them, putting a DSLR camera in front of her to take a picture of Eunhye and Mark together. Gaeil had played the photographer part for the family's documentation aside from the professional photography team t4he wedding planner had booked. Eunhye kissed Mark's cheek for the photo, and Gaeil made a face while she studied it on her DSLR. "You've grown fat."

Eunhye aimed a whack at her and she ran to take some other pictures.

"Beach wedding hagoshipeo?Do you want a beach wedding, too? Animyeon garden wedding?" Mark suddenly asked her. What is wrong with the guy? He'd been talking way too much about weddings, it's starting to creep her out. Her cousins were no help, too, since they have been coaxing him up everytime she heard them talking.

"Naneun wedding themes wollae isseoI already have wedding themes in mind," she answered him honestly. "Duman isseoI got two."

"Mwonde?What is it?"

"Skydiving..."

Mark oohed. "JohaI like that. KeolDeal."

"Animyeon, Garden of Eden," she went on as if Mark didn't interrupt her.

Mark snorted. "Garden of Eden? Wae?!!"

"Wedding gown deul neomu pissaWedding gowns are expensive," she replied. "Keurigo bridesmaids-do neomu pissaAnd so are the bridesmaids' dresses. Keuraeseo, Garden of Eden."

"Niga neomu hisanghaeYou're so weird," Mark told her.

"Keuraeseo undong haeyadwaeSo you should start exercising." She patted his shoulders and arms meaningfully. "Jogeuman doJust a bit more."

"Narang kyeorheun hallae keureom?So you'll marry me then?"

In response, she pinched his nose and moved it from left to right. "You're so cute."

"Shush," they heard Ren say from behind them. "Wait for your own wedding."

 

***************


Good thing about being invited to a wedding:  you're also invited to the feast afterward. And feast was an understatement. There were three big buffet tables, and almost every dish was there. The bride's family was from Australia, and they were all vegetarians, and so were some of Eunhye's family were, too. And so one table was filled with vegetarian food to accommodate them. The two others were filled with almost all the dishes one could do with beef, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, lamb and goat.

Eunhye found Mark holding his empty plate and staring at the "meat tables" as if hesitating to take any. He might be shy, so she approached him.

"KeokjeongmaDon't worry," she whispered. "Catering yeosseoIt's from a catering. It's not our own farm animals."

Earlier in the day, on the way back to the house from the short trip to the beach, she had taken Mark to their animal house. He had never seen a live pig nursing a dozen babies, let alone two. He tried hard not to think about the fate of those poor animals when they grow up. She also showed him the stables, and bragged that she could ride them since she was ten. The hiking she planned didn't come, because they had little time.

"Jinjja?"

"Eung," she smiled at him. She showed him her plate which was already filled with food. Most were taken from the Vegan table. Mark figured she took Gaeil's comment earlier to heart and decided to reduce her eating. She wasn't actually fat, some side effects of her being asthmatic and anemic at the same time, so Mark wondered why she bothered. She could eat all she want and not gain more than a couple pounds.

"Do you know how to eat in a buffet?" she asked. "There's this best way. Take just a tiny amount of everything. JogeumanJust a bit. So when it's time to brag about what you ate,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter