Phrase 12

Song Of Love

“Gyaaaaa!!!! Why black out at the time like this?!!! Or is it only in our dorm?!”

“I’m recording the television series now!”

“Chanyeol!!”

Chanyeol got dizzy heard all the complaint from the students of Sky Dorm and yelled “Why it always happened” then he went to the basement where the informatics students stayed.

 

***

 

“Tell me about ‘Jung you’”

You shocked to hear that. Why Baekhyun knew your name before your mother got remarried.

“Hard to tell, huh?” Baekhyun said that and crossed his hands on his chest and looked at you “I heard you get hit, kicked, and hanged on the tree by your mother that hysteric because of her divorce”

“Haa? Don’t talk non sense thing! I don’t know where you heard all that inconsequential story from, but my mother is like a weak princess. She even can’t watch boxing program on television. I never get hit by her!”

After said that you pressed the elevator’s emergency button and talked to the administrator “Hellooo?! Anybody there?! We got trapped on the elevator!”

“But I heard there was a report from child protection commission” Baekhyun said that.

You gulped. You opened your mouth with stuttered voice “That… That was…” Then you shut your mouth. Didn’t want to tell him about that.

“Tell me. Or…” Baekhyun squatted down and palmed his mouth “I will puke at here” He threatened you.

“Hah?!! Don’t puke in this narrow place please!!!” You yelled at Baekhyun.

You sighed and talked to Baekhyun “I don’t know what you want to know. But parents that got divorced isn’t a weird thing, right?”

“Was the divorce have an acquaintance with the fact that your father is a pianist?”

 You surprised that Baekhyun knew about that too. You still not ready to spill the beans. But you decided to tell him a little.

“Yeah. My father was a very busy person, so he rarely in home”

You didn’t know when it started, but the ‘Appa was doing an important job’ words become ‘the most important for Appa is work’. When your grandmother started her piano lesson, you and your sister with your mother always quickly went out from the house.

“So, you become to hate music?” Baekhyun asked you.

“Hmm… You can say it like that”

You didn’t agree or reject Baekhyun’s statement. After the divorce, you lived with your mother only. And you didn’t knew when it started, the television never connected to the electric socket. The radio and was like that too and no CD at all.

“Only till there my bad life. After that we lived happily with my new father” You said that.

“You didn’t tell me about the child protection commission yet”

You turned your head away, avoiding Baekhyun gaze. Didn’t want to tell him about that. Then Baekhyun grab your hand and give you a gesture that he will puke at you.

“Gyaaa!! Wait! Hold it!!” You pushed Baekhyun’s head from your hand and you felt Baekhyun’s body temperature. His body was cold. “You really can’t stand in dark place?” You asked Baekhyun and let him continued to hold your hand.

“Nineteen hours”

“Ha?”

“It was in a Christmas party. There were many relatives and business partners that come, but didn’t realized one child disappeared from the party. In the next morning finally my parents realized it. They panicked, thinking that I was got abducted. I’ve found after 19 hours of being cooped up in a trunk on the warehouse” Baekhyun told you that and then looked at you “Give and take!”

You still didn’t want to tell him and Baekhyun opened his mouth again “After they found me, they…” You put your hands in Baekhyun’s mouth to stop him from tell you more further about him.

“Don’t tell me anymore!” You sighed and looked around the elevator “It is still not working?” You asked Baekhyun

“Last time, it need at least 4 hours to repair it”

“Eh?”

“Now Chanyeol must be walk around to check it”

You sighed “Why you must want to know about that?”

“Was it a big problem?”

“No, it is not like that. It was my fault. I got permission to sleep over at my friend house, but actually I hide it from my mother that I got invited to attend a musical by my friend’s parents. With my mother, I never heard a music, always confined in the house. When I touch the outside world, it was fun. On the way back home, I was singing with Ami. Ami and her parents complimented my singing. I was happy. Then I saw my mother stand in front of me. She asked me to go home with her. My mother held my hand tightly, I feel hurt. Then I apologizing to her and make a promised I will never singing again. I don’t know who saw that but a child protection commission came over my house a few days after that incident. Because it was not a big problem, so it ended here. But my mother was shocked because of that”

You finally told Baekhyun. You tried to see his expression but you can’t because of the darkness. Then you remembered you had your phone.

“Ah! Handphone! You can call Chanyeol sunbae, right? I’ll call Jondae oppa!” You started to dial Jongdae but Baekhyun snatched your handphone away from your hand.

“So, you can’t sing now because you thinking about your mother?” Baekhyun asked you

Your eyes got bigger “Wow. You rarely being nice to me like this” You said that to Baekhyun, tried to change the subject

“Thank your for the compliment. So? The answer?”

“Why I must answer your question?”

“You are really slow! Annoying!” Baekhyun scolded you.

Again. Baekhyun always said meanie thing to you and it always made you suffered. But you didn’t want it again. Enough till here.

“Who forbid you to sing?”

You gasped after Baekhyun said that. Then Baekhyun had his hands pinned on the wall on either of your side.

“Was your mother ever forbid you to sing? Since when you can’t sing? Should I talk to your mother and say ‘Because of you, your daughter become like this’?”

“NO! It’s not like that!” You shouted at Baekhyun but he didn’t stop his words.

“Your mother is happy with her second marriage. So that, she kicked you out from the house because she feel you were disturbed her and told you to shut your mouth like a fool. You can’t sing but you are in vocal class”

“This problem has nothing to do with my mother!!” You shouted at Baekhyun to stop him. Then he leaned his head closer to you. Your eyes met his.

“So? Who is it? Your father? Your twin sister?” Baekhyun asked you

“No… It was because of me…”

“If you continue being like this, you will never recover” You gasp to hear that and Baekhyun continue his words “ ’It’s fine’ While you said that, your face was really ugly. You must be didn’t realized that”

You sighed. Baekhyun let off his hands from your side. You felt your legs become weak, so you sit on the elevator’s floor without realized it. You didn’t understand why Baekhyun was like this. Actually, for what you told him about your story. Was it your fault that you ugly. And you think Baekhyun was a violence person, didn’t have manner and short tempered. What right he had to scold you.

“I’m tired talk with you. Why you want to know about me? Who told you about this actually?” You asked Baekhyun

Baekhyun squatted down and his eyes level now same with you. “You actually like music, right?” Baekhyun asked you but you only silent. Didn’t respond to it.

“You scared your mom will find it. You curious about music and it showed with you want to hear me playing piano. But you can’t let out your voice, can’t sing. It’s strange, right? Do you know why it’s strange?” Baekhyun asked you. You didn’t understand it so you just keep quiet and waited his answer.

“Because I’m like you before. Before the trunk closed, there was someone said ‘don’t make a noise. If you make a noise, something bad will happen with your family’. After they found me, they took me to the doctor. Even I know the person was lying, but I need one week before I can tell my parents about it.” Baekhyun told you and asked “And you, how many years since that incident happened to you?”

You thinking and turned your head to him. Still didn’t want to tell him. Then Baekhyun annoyed and pinch your cheek.

“How. Ma. Ny. Years ?”

You whinned in pain and started spill your story.

“After my parents decided to divorce, I and my twin sister heard each of them will take care one child. Then we run away. My sister that always stronger than me didn’t stop crying. I didn’t know what to say to her so I sing to her. Then we heard our father voice asked who was singing before and said the one that singing would go with him. Then my sister said it was her that singing and she asked me for never singing again”

“So it was her. Your sister really ”

“Yeah. But I already struggling with all my might to not singing again. Actually, till now I never intend to obey her words” You told Baekhyun and smiled sadly.

“But your voice still can’t out?”

“Yes. I don’t know why”

Baekhyun sighed and unlocked your phone “Finally you tell me your story. So, where’s your sister now?” Then Baekhyun searched something on your phone and say “I already know your mother’s address. If your sister isn’t abroad, I will find her in a week. And now better you asked your parents explanation and say ‘because of you my life become miserable’” Then Baekhyun put the phone on his ear. He called someone. You approached him, tried to snatch your phone back.

“Wait! What are you doing?!!”

“Ah, hello?”

“Nooo!!! You must know, I already struggling to…” You shouted at him but he stopped you by pined his hand on the wall behind you

“Struggling for what?! Struggling to make them happy? Or struggling for being patient all this time?! Stupid! Children can have their own problem too! It is impossible an elementary school hoard patience until couldn’t let out a voice!!” Baekhyun yelled at you.

Then your surrounding become bright. The elevator started working back. Then the door’s opened, showed Chanyeol and Jongdae there.

“Are you guys okay?” Chanyeol asked

Baekhyun stand up and walk out from the elevator “Why it took so long!” Then he disappeared from your sight. Chanyeol approached you and shock because you were crying.

“Hey? Are you okay?! Why are you crying? Is it because Baekhyun?”

“Ah… No… It’s no…”

“That bastard make you crying….” Jongdae make fist on his hand and run after Baekhyun

“Nothing. It’s nothing” You said to Chanyeol and wiped your tears with your hand.

“No! It must be something happened before!”

“Seriously. It’s nothing. I’m only shocked a little” You told Chanyeol.

Baekhyun’s words was really mean. But in your ear it heard like ‘I defend you’. You happy. It was a happy tears.

 

***

 

Baekhyun sat on the floor in the dorm’s music room. Then his surrounding become dark a while. He shocked but then it became bright again. He turned his head to the door and saw you there with your hand on the light switch. You grinned at him and approaching him.

“The innocent and cheerful Jung you

“Ha?” You didn’t understand with what Baekhyun said before

“The information seeker called you like that”

“Information seeker? I wasn’t like that actually” You chuckled lightly and continue your words “Maybe I looked a little enthusiastic, but I didn’t like that. My mother hate music and my sister forbid me to sing. It was not only that. By reason of loneliness, my parents divorced. My father and my sister left us. Because of that, if my mother had to be made of loneliness and confusion again, perhaps at that moment she would leave me. Maybe she would said ‘I didn’t need you anymore’. I always scared it will happen. I feel something bad will happen. Maybe because of that I’m scared to sing”

You finally told Baekhyun. He only heard your story carefully.

“But it is only my thinking though. It’s okay if you want to say ‘stupid’ or anything to me” You told Baekhyun.

Baekhyun smiled at you and say “I can’t imagine your feeling, but it makes sense. It is great process you’ve managed through, right?”

You smiled at Baekhyun. You think it was all because of Baekhyun. He defended you. All this time, he only pretend to not cared about you. You didn’t understand what was in his feeling. Before, you think all his harsh words showed his true character that bad and scary. But you found it wrong. You wouldn’t told him about this.

“You think something bad will happen if you sing, right? You think if that happened twice it will happen again for the third time, right? It is really stupid” Baekhyun told you. Then he grab your wrist pull you to come closer to the piano.

“Eh? Baekhyun sunbae!”

Baekhyun let go your arm and he sit on the piano’s chair.

“Try to sing. Come on!” Baekhyun started playing the piano.

“Ha?”

“Quickly! One, two, three!”

You started singing then suddenly Baekhyun stopped playing the piano and hit your head. He smirked at you.

“You say something bad will happen if you singing. Then, it is the third time. Thankfully. So nothing bad will happen again” Baekhyun told you then showed his grin.

You rubbed your pain head and give up to Baekhyun and say “Will it not happen again?”

“It won’t be easy though. Even I sometimes give up about something, I always can overcome with my problem”

After said that Baekhyun back to his piano. He played a song. Even he was a monster, now you can understand him a little. He heard all your story patiently even he said ‘stupid’ to you. You heard his biggest secret too. You finally changed because of him.

“It’s okay. You sing.” Baekhyun told you. You a little bit surprised to hear that and chuckled lightly.

“What song is that? My grandmother often played it before” You asked Baekhyun

“It’s Schubert” Then Baekhyun changed the song.

“Ah? If this? It is like the one in the ulcer medicine”

“Ha? Ulcer medicine? Oh? This?” Then Baekhyun changed the song again.

“Yes, this!”

“It is jazz”

You happily heard Baekhyun’s piano. It was really beautiful.

“Try to say it” Baekhyun suddenly asked you

“Say what? ‘stupid’?”

“No… try to say you are fine now”

You smiled to him and said you fine now with sincere. Baekhyun’s words always right and make you surprised that he knew about your feeling. As your feeling, you was weak in front of him. And maybe now his presence in your life a little different than before.

 

***

 

“School that create an independence and freedom, Seika High School. Hmm” A boy said that and smirked in front of your school entrance. “Finally I’ll meet you, you


 

Holla! Enjoying the new chapter? There's only you and Baekhyun there. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

I hope you like it! ^^