CHAPTER 1: Just Call Me Your "Boyfriend"

My On Flight Boyfriend

"We are now boarding flight A725 to Seoul, Korea."

 

That's my flight… Where was I going? Somewhere, where I can ignore and run away from all of my problems. I pulled myself off the chair and placed my bags into my hands, carrying them toward the gate desk. The attendant took my passport and ticket. She opened the passport to my embarrassing picture and then took a hard look at my face. 

 

"Flying solo?" she asked. Sadly, I nodded and took my passport and ticket back, pushing it towards the bottom of my bag. 

 

"Korea, here I come."

 

----------------------

 

 "God? Why did you have to create me so small? I mean, I'd totally be happy if you gave me a few more inches," I said as I continued to mutter to myself, 'tippy toeing' as I attempted to place my bags into the overhead storage. 

 

"Oh. My. Gosh. Can this chick hurry her up?" my life. I turned around to see an overly skinny girl, dressed clad in animal prints and designer name brands, rolling her eyes at me. I looked at her and smirked. "Honey, continue rolling your eyes. I hope they fall off," I thought to myself.

 

Behind the girl was an extremely long line of waiting people. They all looked at me with impatient eyes, yet some smiled sympathetically. I turned back to the carryon storage and sighed. This is what I get for flying by myself for the first time. Moments passed and someone finally felt sorry enough to help me. He took the bags from my hands, letting them travel from my hands into the carryon storage. 

 

I stepped into the seats, letting the line pass and the stranger followed suit. I turned around and looked at him to thank him. Oh God. Damn. The 'stranger' stood up about 5ft. 7. He had y brown/black sideswept bangs that rested right above his head. He han even ier jawline, one that was sharp. His smile was one that could kill. His smile brightened up the room with just a simple smirk. Mr. Handsome, a very suitable name I gave him, flashed his killer smile at me. 

 

"Ka-kasahaminda," I thanked him. A smile crept upon my face. 

 

He flashed me an enourmous smile that made his eyes curve into cresants. "AN EFFING EYESMILE, I could faint," I thought to myself. 

 

"It's no problem!" He replied as he looked at me, then to the floor, then back up at me. "Um, but there is one problem," he said. I couldn't help but frown; there's always a 'but'!

 

"H-huh? W-W-What's that?," I stuttered. Mentally, I slapped myself. 

 

I could tell by the smirk on his face that he thought my stuttering was funny. He opened his mouth, closed it again, then he smirked. "That seat is mine," he said as he pointed to the seat where my purse and other things were sitting on. I quickly pulled out my ticket from the bottom of my purse, swearing that it was the window seat, but the ticket read 24B (the aisle). Slowly, I turned to face him. 

 

"Mianhe," I mumbled, and let him take the seat. I then took my seat. I sat in the same row, the same side, one of the seats that sit only two people, not three but two. The seat next to his.

 

"Wait a second, I'm sitting next to Mr. Handsome! All this time, I thought God didn't like me, that he was just waiting to curse me.  But look, he's giving me all these gifts! I seriously have to start going to church again. Okay, I must relax," I thought. 

 

He settled into his seat and pulled out his phone. Guess he's sending some last minute texts before we leave. 

 

I pulled out my IPhone from my purse, which was on the floor, and checked my texts as well. I received several texts. I recieved a few from my parents, saying things like: "Have a safe flight", "Can't wait to see you!", and my favorite: "We made you tons of kimchi!… Literally, your mom made barrels of it." There were a few texts from friends, mainly saying that they'll miss me. Other old friends in Seoul couldn't wait to see me.

 

But there was one text that was still unread and it was from Onew. Who was Onew? Onew, was one of the sole reasons that I was leaving New York City and moving back to Seoul. Should I elaborate more on him? Nah, he's an , I'd rather not.

 

I opened the text and read it. "Hey, I am sorry about what happened with us. Just know, I'll miss you. Maybe I'll see you Seoul?" AH HELLS NAH! I pressed delete and placed my phone back into my bag. Hmph. Why would I ever want to see that again? 

 

"Miyoung? Is that you?"

 

It couldn't be. It's impossible. Hesitantly, I looked up. "… ."

 

There he was. Onew stood before me in all of his disgusting glory. "I told you I'd see you soon," he said with a smirk. That smirk was disgusting; It was dualsided, one second you had total faith in it, the next it was backstabbing you. The smile was evil. He looked at me then looked at Mr. Handsome.

 

"Oh, who's this, Miyoung?" he asked as he extended his dirty hand towards Mr. Handsome. My eyes widened at the stretched out palm before me. "Please, don't touch it. You'll have to burn your hand afterwards!" I thought.

 

Mr. Handsome, oblivious of my warning, grasped his hand and shook it.

 

"Kim Jonghyun," he replied. I looked at Mr. Handsome and smiled. He had a pretty y name! Kim Jonghyun, I like it! 

 

"So, are you two together?" Onew asked interrupting my beautiful thoughts.

 

Before I, or Jonghyun, could reply, the from before called for Onew. Two people I don't like together? It was a match made in Heaven, Onew looked at the girl and smiled a charismatic smile. "My girl is calling me. I'll talk to you guys later?" and with that he left for his seat, two seats behind us. 

 

. What am I going to do?! He has already moved on, I'm still single, and he thinks I'm dating Mr. Handsome, I mean Jonghyun! 

 

Wait, DING. An imaginary lightbulb began to float above my head, brightening all the other thoughts in my mind. A brilliant idea popped into my head. I turned to face Jonghyun.

 

"Mr. Ha-, I mean, Jonghyun right?" I asked.

 

He nodded his head. "And by what that guy said, your name is Miyoung?" he asked.

 

I nodded my head as well. "Yeah, um. I know you helped me enough today, but do you think you can do me a big favor?" He stared at me for a while. Pribably considering whether to say yes or not. After what seemed like an entiernity, he finally replied.

 

"… Sure. What's up?" 

 

Should I do this? Will he think it's weird? Will he think I'm crazy? Before I could finish my thoughts he spoke up.

 

"Let me guess, that guy plays a big factor is your favor?" he asked. I nodded in reply.

 

"And he-" He took a peek at Onew who was snuggling the disgustingly thin . "-Is an ex?" I nodded once again. "And I'm betting by the way that you were glaring at his girl that you haven't moved on."

 

"That, is something I'm not so sure about yet," I replied.

 

"Oh I see, so, I'm guessing you're needing a fake boyfriend?" he whispered. I opened my eyes wide, and frivolously nodded my head.

 

"Please," I begged, half whispering, half yelling. He turned his body towards me and looked me straight in the eye. After a few minutes he said something I thought would never come out of his mouth: 

 

"For the next sixteen hours, you can call me your boyfriend."

 Thanks, god!  

 


 

*somewhat edited on 7/31/12 - Wow, I had such poor grammar.