Page Thirty Eight

Untold Pages

Her brother was very much relieved to see her still breathing and in one piece. She did not relayed the details of what had happened, only minor ones and diverted the conversation on the matter at hand.

 

No matter how she insists, Kyoung Jae made her sleep earlier and assured her that he will do anything to provide all the necessary information tomorrow. He got paranoid when she did not go home yesterday and Xiumin’s call arrived just right after breakfast that morning. What she had made him agree on is to let her go out right after dinner to buy something on the 24-hour shop mart nearby.

 

She grabbed a few bottles of milk, the one she and her demised sister loves to drink, some chips and bars of chocolates. She included a few cans of beer for her brother and some sweet treats for Sooyoung’s kids tomorrow.

 

She pulled her jacket as she puts on the hood of it and started her journey back to their place. She was startled to see Lay by their gate, leaning on the wall and looks like he had been waiting for her.

 

The memory of what had happened on the Decks flashed in her mind by bits. Despite all her effort, the blush still evaded her cheeks.

 

“Hyoyeon,” he called out as he moves to get near her.

“What do you want?” she asked, thankful that the shadow of the hood on her head hides the blush on her face.

“I’m sorry,” he started, looking like he had just forgotten his well rehearsed speech.

“For what?” she asked, acting like she doesn’t know anything.

“For doing it that night. I should have stopped myself before it gets out of control. I took advantage of your drunken state,” he said.

“What night are you talking about?” she feigned a questioning tone and thankful it did not falter.

 

He looked at her like she had just spoken some alien language.

“Look, I don’t know what night you are talking about. Lay, I am tired and I really need a good sleep right now. I miss my bed and you should be heading home already,” she sounded exasperated and tired.

“That night on the Decks. I know that you know it was us that night, don’t deny it,” he replied.

She let out a sigh, a real tired one, “Look, I don’t know anything about that. And what if it is us? What would I do after accepting your so-called apology?”

 

“Why are you doing this?” he asked, suddenly backing down like he doesn’t know her already.

It’s like the roles had been reversed. She should be the one insisting things like this before and he would be the one refusing its existence, but now, they changed places.

She needs to win this mission and she needs to be free of distraction. Even if it hurts and the damage might be permanent, she would take the risk. She has to do it to protect him and all that she had. She has to say this lie and keep a straight face.

“Because there were never us that night. So please, stop this.” Then with all her strength, she walked past him.

“Then what about that night before Soohyun’s accident?” he asked again, hopeful.

“I was just tired that day and I cannot remember ever returning the same phrase,” she replied and turned around even before he could think of a reply.

 

She was aware of his eyes boring on her back, but she did not turned around to take back what she had said. If being selfish will not bring harm on him then she will do it, so as lying. She knows that sooner or later, enemies will use him to lure her. She was only able to notice tears on her cheeks when she is already inside the gate.

 

**********

 

The night is deep already but Lay waited by the deserted park for Min Ah. He has to break things with her. He has to tell it to her straight on with no double edged words that she may misunderstand.

 

After waiting for fifteen minutes, here comes Min Ah with her car. She was so glad and looks so blooming with just the thought of meeting him. They had been going out for months already and he can’t find any suitable circumstance to break it on the woman. Min Ah had assumed far longer that they really are a couple.

“Oppa,” she waved and kissed him on the lips.

“Why did you call me? It’s late already, can’t it wait for tomorrow?” she asked after parting.

 

Lay sighed, “Min Ah, we have to stop this,” he started, “There were never us to begin with. I like you, yes, but not more than that. You are more like a friend to me, nothing more. You just assumed what I had told you before. What I meant before is for us to stop these dates and all. I didn’t court you and I don’t have the little interest of letting you be my girlfriend. It’s not that you are ugly or like that, but I love someone and you just count as a friend only. I am sorry; please stop calling me or sending me messages. I need space,” he let out a sigh after his calm outburst.

 

Min ah was just frozen on the spot; her face registers pure shock that soon transpired to sadness. Lay had nothing to do anymore. With one last squeeze on her hand, he turned around and started to leave.

 

After a few good steps away, he heard her speak.

“I don’t share what I already have and you are already one of those.”

He turned around and was startled to see her holding a gun at gunpoint on him. Her very feminine and innocent features turned very dangerous and glaring at him.

“I will not allow you to be with her. You are mine, and only mine,” then fired it on him.

 

The gun did not let out a loud bang, but more like a spitting sound. Two spitting sounds were all that it takes to wrap up Lay’s world in complete darkness.

 

**********

 

Hyoyeon woke up after hearing her phone getting wild. She grabbed it and dismissed the so-called call from her brother. She pulled herself up and was startled to see a black folder on her bedside with a note. She reached for it and saw the profiles of the sixteen members within. Two of them were marked already with ‘SECURED’.

 

After doing a few stretches, she pulled herself out of her bed and went down to grab some breakfast. As she waits for the oven to warm up her toasts, the encounter last night with Lay invaded her mind again and she has to curse herself from feeling guilty all over. With a heavy heart, she grabbed her phone and dialed his number. She doesn’t know why she is calling him but she just want to get assured that he is fine and all.

 

The other line started ringing and she waited till it leads to his voicemail. She tried again for two or three more times but it all lead to his voicemail. When she tried for the fifth time, the call was answered but she only heard shuffling then the line went off. She tried again but the line on the other line is dead already.

 

‘He is mad,’ she thought and gave up trying to reach for him. She has to wait for him to cool down and sane so they can sort out things clearly.

 

**********

 

After a quick breakfast and shower, she dressed up and went to the provided address from her brother. She sets up her GPS tracker on her car because the address is new. When she got nearer the place, it was leading to a port. ‘A transaction?’ she thought and maneuvers her car furthermore. As she tries to look for a parking space, she saw a group of men in black running after two guys who look familiar to her. She killed the engine and stepped out, locking the car and ran after the chasing group.  

 

Her hunch was right; she knew those two; Taehyung and Jonghyun. Without much ado, she pulled her gun and mounted a silencer to muffle the sound and started shooting those men behind, trying to get near the two lads.

When she had taken down a good number, she took a turn and ran parallel to them, hoping those two will see her and follow her suit. The large deposit tanks around the pier blocks her view once in awhile and the short gaps between those towering things is her only way to monitor them.

 

The two lads got a lead and were able to lose the crowd of men in black running after them as they took various turns on the deposit tanks around. They were startled to see Hyoyeon upon turning on a curve. She motioned them to follow them back to her car. As she starts to leave the place, she sent her brother a message telling him she can’t come because of an emergency.

 

She led them on her apartment.

“Why were the two of you in there?” she asked as the two lads gets inside her apartment.

“I was just going to the café house when JR met me on the way. He asked me to accompany him somewhere but when we started moving, those men pointed over us and then the chase started. I thought this guy had set me up on a trap,” V pointed over the tired JR on the couch.

“They even started calling me names and all,” he pouted and occupied the space beside the JR.

 

“But the distance between the café house and the pier is kilometers far, probably miles. Are you sure you two are telling the truth or you guys probably did that on purpose just for fun?” she eyed the two.

The two were defensive and it made her grin, “Guilty,” she giggled and resumed on her serious face.

“Now, with all that running, look how you did not notice that cut on your leg,” she sighed and moves to get her medicine kit.

 

Right after tending to the wounded guy, the two soon left apartment. Once out, they sighed in relief.

“Keep your mouth shut or I will strangle you myself. I didn’t know you were part of some sort of mafia group,” V said and placed her hands on his pocket as they walk on.

“Yeah, like you didn’t know I am part of it in the first place,” JR grinned at the glare he got on the other.