Page Twenty Eight

Untold Pages

THE GOLDEN SPHINX

(EUNJI)

 

Eunji leaned on the swivel chair in her office after a tiring day. Papers here and there kept her busy till she finally notices her floor already dark. Her sub-ordinates had left already. She sighed and turned to look at the glass walls behind her, pulling up the draperies. The lights soon turn blurry as everything about how they came to this place rushes back to her memories. After all, she is the only one who kept on going back on those memories.

 

*Eunji’s Reminiscence*

 

Being highschool has always been fun for her and her friends Baekho and Himchan. Although they do not share the same year level, they would always leave school as one since they will only go home on one place, the orphanage.

 

They are orphans and the said institution pays for their school expenses even though they go to a public school.

“I wonder when we would get adopted,” seventeen years old Eunji mused as they stayed at their playground after finishing their chores.

“Sooner, but if we do not get adopted, as long as one of gets out, then it will be fine with me,” a fifteen years old Himchan replied.

“Aniyo! I don’t want us to get separated!” Thirteen years old Baekho stood up from his seat and protested.

The older two ones laughed at him.

 

“Of course, we will not get separated. Because if it really happens that one of gets adopted, then he or she will pull the other out right?” Eunji smiled at the two.

 

That pact was what keeps them bound together. They would dream endlessly about getting adopted and creating big with their own name.

 

It was during her prom when the most unexpected thing happened that made them homeless again.

 

Eunji had just returned after the school’s prom, together with Himchan and Baekho who escorted her. They were laughing along the way as Himchan carries Eunji’s heels. Baekho keeps on talking about the other students and imitates them just to have fun.

 

When the orphanage had been in sight, they noticed rows of black cars outside. Fear started to make them stop laughing and rush to get to the place but Himchan guides them to use the backdoor.

 

They went over the back of the institution and saw the commotion inside. The other orphans were held captives so as men in black interrogates the head of the orphanage. They cannot hear what they are talking about but looks like they are demanding something.

 

Eunji stepped forward to get inside, but Himchan stopped her.

“Do you want them to die in there?” she hissed.

“Then we will die as well. Eunji, this is not the time to be heroic. We cannot fight those men in there. They have guns! Can’t you see it?” he hissed back, holding her tightly.

Baekho had been trembling beside them, looking so scared and all.

 

They stayed there, hoping the men would leave. The children started to wail when their so-called mother got dragged.

The will to help them pushed Eunji to stand but she has nothing against Himchan’s strength so as Baekho who stops her too.

She started to sob when she can’t fight from the restrain of the two.

 

A loud bang echoed to where they are as they saw their ‘mother’ fall on the ground, the cries of the children echoed afterwards.

It is not just about the sight of seeing the old woman’s body fall on the floor but the sight of a young man, just her age, standing near the dead body with a sleek gun on his hands.

Then consecutive shots echoed as the other men joined the said young man in eliminating every child in sight, even the ones in the wheel chair and even the babies which Eunji takes care off.

 

The three of them stood frozen from where they are. It was so quick. Then the place started to be engulfed in fire that soon blows into pieces which sent the three on the ground, engulfing the three of them in complete darkness.

 

When she woke up, she saw Himchan and Baekho sprawled on the ground near the orphanage, cuts and bruises all visible in the two. Her gown had been tattered and torn. She pulled herself up and noticed the deep cut on her leg. She hissed and started to wake up the two.

After adjusting on their current situation, they staggered on their way out to the highway.

 

The sky is still dark as the two men helps Eunji in walking. They started to walk on the highways of the province till they got on the long roads that seem to be endless on their sense. They had been travelling all day and had to spent the night on the nearby forest, trying to shield themselves on the bight of mosquitoes and insects.

 

For two days, they had been walking with no food or water at hand. It was during noon on their second day when they caught the sight of the main city.

“Come on Eunji, just a few more steps and we will get you to a hospital,” Himchan helped her as she staggers.

Her pale lips stuttered, “I can’t take it anymore…” then her world soon got engulfed by darkness again.

 

When she woke up, she can’t pinpoint how long she had been out. Her eyes were welcomed by the sterile room of the hospital. A young man, probably years older than her is talking to a doctor by the door. She started to panic when she cannot locate Himchan and Baekho. She tried to sit up but cried in pain.

 

The two talking turned to see her struggle.

“Don’t move yet,” the said man rushed to stop her from injuring herself furthermore.

“Where’s Himchan? Where’s Baekho? Where are my friends?” she cried, getting hysterical again.

The doctor picked up a syringe from the tray beside her and injects it into her IV fluid. Sooner, her eyes get droopy as her voice falters into whispers till she finally lost consciousness.

 

When she woke up again, Himchan and Baekho is sitting on the bench near her together with the man she saw earlier.

“Eunji!” Baekho exclaimed as he reaches to hold her hand.

 

The said guy smiles at her then moves near her too.

“The cut on your leg was infected and you were pretty dehydrated and blood drained as well. I saw you guys on my way back to the main city. Don’t worry I won’t ask any money, just help me with my work and it will be fine,” he said.

“What do you do?” she asks.

“I pack and export things. Himchan already helped me in exporting things; Baekho is on securing important deals to get more stocks while I do the packaging and monitoring. By the way, my name is Nickhun. So is that a yes?”

Seeing a new future with this man so she agreed.