Page Thirteen

Untold Pages

The hall is lighted with a large golden chandelier; five small ones surround it. The golden draperies hang and cover the hall somehow illuminating the whole room. The large floor length window opposite the stairs offers the sight of the marvelous garden and lighted fountains outside. The left side of the hall is where the rows of the table filled with foods and drinks. The quartet is on the right side, just near the stairs playing a joyful song.

 

The whole room is wide, so wide that three blocks of house can fit in. The people roam about, greeting people as they exchange pleasantries and handshakes. They all enjoy the anonymity each has from the mask they are all wearing.

 

“So who are the key people in here?” Lay whispered over Kris as they stand side by side, enjoying champagne, upstairs, looking down at the sea of people.

“Those who wear the gray masks were part of the Hollows,” Kris answered.

Lay looked around and spotted six where two of them were females; and he knows she’s one of them.

 

“The people who wear black were from the Black Empire,” Kris stated after awhile.

It was hard to look for them since in the very big hall; there are only two people who wear the color.

 

“There are three members of the Lux are wearing dirty one ones or milky white,” Kris pointed over the three people being huddled in a crowd.

 

“The members of the Octagon wears red,” Kris pointed over the group of people in red masks where there two of them are females.

 

“The members of the Paragon are wearing the orange color,” Kris pointed over some of them.

 Lay scanned the room and found out five of them.

 

“The Nymphs, the only group of female are wearing green or aqua green. I am not sure; I am weak in naming colors,” Kris pointed over.

Lay counted the ladies who have aqua green masks and there were six of them.

 

“The last group is the Golden Sphinx, four members and of course gold masks,” Kris grinned as he took his last champagne in one gulp.

 

“So how about the other colors?” Lay pointed over the other colors.

“Those are either individual holders or investors or party crashers,” Kris chuckled as the quartet slowly plays a low music as the host of the party stands near the stairs, taking a few steps up to elevate himself. The gray mask he is wearing made him be identified as a member of the Hollows.

 

“My friends, I am so glad you all made it tonight. This event is not just about strengthening our bonds but discovering new faces as well. I hope you don’t hesitate to enjoy the party till it lasts. May this event become another mark in our history,” he raises his glass as everyone follows suit, “To the success of our partnerships.”

Everyone gave their yes and joined the toast.

“Please enjoy the dance,” he said and stepped down to allow the quartet to play some nice mellow song as a male singer steps up on the elevated pedestal to sing. Every male started to move to find their partners.

“Get down in there and enjoy the dance,” Kris grinned and gave Lay a little push.

 

**********

 

As the music starts to give a start, men in black wearing different colored masks moves near Hyoyeon, offering her chance to dance. She was taken aback from the number and felt herself smirk a bit when she noticed the jealous glares from the other ladies.

“Can you grace us a dance, Miss Kim?” one of the men boldly asked, stepping forward.

She has to curse her blonde hair, giving them the chance to identify her.

 

She contemplates on the thought of gracing her first dance on this man wearing a blue mask when a voice made all of the present men to look at another guy standing behind them.

“She’s with me gentlemen,” he said as he moves within the group who parts.

She cannot be mistaken; that voice is very familiar because there could only be one voice that can make her knees grow weak.

 

The said man strode elegantly towards her, wearing this gray suit appearing to match her dress. His mask however made her conclude that he is in no particular group. The purple Venetian mask he is wearing stands out the most in his outfit.

 

He laid out his hand, “May I?” bowing a little.

She graced him with a sweet smile, accepting his hand as he led her to the dance floor.

 

“Acting like my knight in shining armor?” She smiled, as they sway into Eric Benet’s ‘The Last Time’ which the male singer brought back to life.

His hold in her waist made her blush but she was glad of the mask she is wearing.

“You are blushing,” he noted, smiling back at her.

“And how would you know?”

He tilts her head up, grinning, “I know who you are Hyoyeon. I know what will make you blush.”

“And the so-called Zhang Yi Xing claims to know me so well?’

“Why? Isn’t it the truth?” he raises a brow.

“We’ve only been together for a very short and fleeting time so how can you claim such statement?” she moved back as he twirls her before he pulls her back into his arms as they moves again.

 

There was silence.

 

“I am sorry,” Lay started as he holds her near, hugging her as they move with the song.

She was momentarily frozen but soon joined his lead. There were few murmurs on the moving couples around them.

“For what?” she whispered back.

“For everything.”

“Are you going somewhere?” she unconsciously tightens the hug.

“Nope, but I know I have done something that might count unforgivable and for some more things I might do in the future which may hurt you,” he nuzzles on her bare shoulder.

“Are you drunk?” she whispered, getting alarmed by his actions.

She felt him shook his head.

 

“Do you love her?” she asked.

“Who?” he whispered back, still holding her close.

The second song had started but they haven’t parted yet.

“That girl,” she replied.

“Oh, her? I don’t know,” he parted to look at her, “Why are you curious?”

She bowed her head, trying to hide her crimson red face.

“The last girl I said ‘I love you’ to was during my early years in the academy which was years behind,” he grinned at her.

“How about the girl you had kissed?” she asked, avoiding his probing and amused eyes.

“I had only kissed one lady; the others don’t count because I didn’t initiate it. If I am not mistaken, it was under the bus stop, after a date,” he stepped back and gave a gracious bow as she left her gaping at him in the middle of the dance floor.

 

 

(Note: The said date is on Chapter Forty One on Perfectly Imperfect Mr. and Mrs. Wu.)