Page Thirty Six

Untold Pages

*Park Sun Young’s Reminiscence*

 

It was one of those dreaded nights when we have to hide again from people who had been tailing us endlessly because of our unpaid debt.

Those debts threatened the disbandment of our group but we don’t want to give up easily. We still have to prove something and the bankruptcy of our funds is just a test to how we will survive and fire back.

For some, they will probably leave the others to save their own soul but we held on to what we had promised. No matter what happen, no one will let go.

 

Some men started to chase me as I was heading back to our small rented room. Jia was sick so I have to buy off some medicine and food as well. It had been three days since she got sick and we cannot just rush to the hospital because our money is not even enough for our food. My parents are actually rich but I cannot risk on including them. As of now, what they know is that I am still abroad, studying.

 

I clutched the plastic bag as I willed my legs to bring me somewhere where I can hide till I lose those guys. Gunshots echoed around me till I felt one of it hit me on the shoulder, somehow slowing me down.

When I sensed them getting near, I tried to use all of my remaining strength to run. When I a corner, I felt an arm pull me into complete darkness.

I was pressed on the wall that I had to wince from the pain on the shot on my shoulder when my so-called savior pressed me further on the wall. He pressed his hand on my mouth to stop the cry that left my mouth from the pain.

 

I looked up at my savior, trying to recognize him. The faint light that touched his face when he looked outside made me see his handsome face. He had his cap twisted on the back making him look so child like. He must be either younger or older than me. He looked at me and smiled, “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you,” he whispered.

 

Hurried footsteps made him press his body again on me. I forgot already the pain on my shoulder as his scent overpowered me for the first time. It caught me in a trance as I look up to meet his comely eyes, looking down on me.

 

When the sound of those running footsteps disappeared, he released me. The sting of the shot on my shoulder made me wince. He got alarmed, “Are you okay? Did I hurt you?” he asked as he moves near to check on me.

I waved him off; I need to get back to Jia because she needs these medicines. I made a polite bow of gratitude and started to walk when he stopped me. “You are bleeding. I will only let you off when we finish tending to that wound of yours.”

 

I was not able to resist as the pain started to numb my left arm. He treated me on an isolated park. He had been asking me questions but I did not replied, acting snob just so he can work fast on it then I can go home. After securing the bandage, he handed me some bandage and cleaning set for my wound.

“It was good to see that the bullet did not venture deeper or else I will have to bring you on a hospital.”

 

I was speechless for a while before I stood up to bow again. I saw something emblazoned on his jacket, a pin, badge or something but I disregard it and started to go home. Shin Min Ah will surely scold me.

 

“Hey, where have you been? The boss had been looking for you?”

I turned to see him join another man in black which I recognized to be part of some mafia group.

 

**********

 

My second encounter on him was when I was sent to do a mission when we had already recovered. My target was just a few feet away from him on the bus stop. I had to admit that he really look good. A year had passed since that encounter. Will he remember me? I was distracted that I failed to see my target slip away. I got a good scolding from that.

 

*End of Park Sun Young’s Reminiscence*

 

“You mean you are that lady?” Chen asked in disbelief. They sought the refugee of the same isolated park where he treated her wound.

She gave a nod as she lay on the grass to relax.

“Wow! Look how fate made us meet,” he chuckled and lay beside her.

 

The sky is scattered with stars giving off that lovely sight. She did not notice herself close her eyes. It was his voice which woke her up.

“Luna, come one. Wake up sleeping beauty,” he coaxed.

The smell of grass made her wince as she opens a sleepy eye. The night sky had turned navy, sign of the coming dawn. He pulled herself up as he hands her his jacket.

The cold wind of the dawn made her accept it.

 

“Come, I want to introduce you to someone.”

She accepted his hand as they started their venture. She was startled to see themselves getting inside a cemetery. Not a sight to behold when you wake up from the bed of grass in the park.

“How long did I sleep?” she asked.

“Long enough to be considered a good night’s sleep,” he chuckled.

“You should have woken me up,” she pouted.

“I can’t afford to disturb your peaceful state,” he replied.

 

They stopped on a marble tomb. Chen lets go of her hand as he kneels on one knee on the tomb, wiping off the accumulated wilted leaves and grass.

“Seorin-ah, how are? It’s been a while,” he stated.

The inscriptions shows the name Go Seo Rin and the date of death was years ago.

“I am surprised to see myself not bawling my heart out now. I used to be like that whenever I visit you, right?” he added.

 

“Who is she?” the curiosity got the best of her.

“My first love,” he replied without looking up at her.

It somehow hurts her to hear those words.

“Hey, Seorin-ah, I want you to meet Park Sun Young. What can you say about her? Isn’t she cool?” he asked as if the said edifice will reply.

“I would want to court her, you know, to start anew, but do you think she will accept my proposal?” he asked again.

 

The statements made Luna turn her head on the kneeling guy.

Chen is still looking at the edifice, unaware of Luna’s eyes on him.

“Jong Dae?” she quietly whispered his name.

He looked up at her, “I can wait if everything is so sudden. We haven’t known each other for long. It has been days since that raffle date, three months since we met outside your place.”

 

The feeling overwhelmed her as tears brims her eyes. Not able to take it, she sits near him then she cups his face letting their lips meet. When she parted, his hands moves to hold hers which is still cupping his face as he leans forward to let their forehead touch.

“I can wait and I hope you don’t mind who I was,” he said, closing his eyes.

“That was before. Maybe this is the reason why I despise those dates before; why I refused those countless offers and broke those engagements,” she smiled.

He guided her up as he kisses her on the forehead before hugging her which she returned.

This will be a start for him, more especially for her.