Page Three

Untold Pages

(Hyoyeon’s reminiscence)

 

**********

 

Hyoyeon stood near the bus stop, waiting for him to arrive. They had decided to just take the bus.

‘I hope he doesn’t realize how excited I am for being this early.’

A bus stop in front of her and a lone passenger she had been waiting for stepped down.

“Have you been waiting long?” he asked, moving to get near her.

“Aniyo, I just arrived a while ago,” she lied.

“So where would you want to go first?” he asked.

 

She blinked, finding it hard to hide the blush evading her cheeks as he looks at her.

“Would it be fine if we go to the arcades?” she asked.

“Arcades? Sure! I know a place where they give the best arcade games,” he smiled, pulling her hand to cross the street.

 

They took the very next bus that stopped and enjoyed the silence the ten minutes ride has to offer. When they arrived on the said mall, he unconsciously held her hand as he led the way to get to the arcades.

 

Even though it is still early, the place is already crowded. He pulled out his card.

“You play here often?” she looked at the card.

“Yeah, I love to hang out in here,” he smiled and moved to the counter to reload his card.

“So where would we start?” he asked after retrieving the card.

“Do you know how to dance?” she looked at him.

“Dance Rev?” he grinned.

She gave a nod and led the way on the said arcade.

 

There are a few people doing a battle on the said game as the small crowd around it cheers for their bets. She watched in awe and glee the ongoing match till it ends, the one on the left was declared the winner. When the two stepped down, she immediately pulled him up to get on it.

“Oh, it’s Lay!” a random guy exclaimed. Another group of viewers joined the present one by the mere mention of his name.

“Popular?” sh e grinned.

“I told you I play here often,” he replied as the music starts to play.

 

It was mild at first, few steps to start with but as the music lengthens, the patterns gets a bit harder as the two tries to match up the beat and the screen as well, tapping and stepping perfectly in synch with the music. For the first round it was a tie which made the crowd cheer. The next two rounds were divided into 1:1, one win each. The crowd gathered around them started to get thick as they moved to the last round. Hyo tied her hair up, removing her jacket as Lay removes his too.

“The loser pays for the meal,” Hyoyeon grinned at him.

“With pleasure,” he smiled back as the music starts again.

 

It was almost a tie, but on the very last part, Hyoyeon gets distracted by the way he smiles at her when they came face to face for a pattern, thus she lost her stepping, losing the game. The crowd cheered like it is some sort of tournament.

Lay reached for her hand as he pulls their jackets on the railing.

“Let us cool down first,” he offered, moving to the nearest bench as the crowd dissipates.

 

She tried to fan herself with her hands, a smile tugged on her lips when she felt the soft dab of cloth on the side of her head.

“You forgot your handkerchief,” he smiled, handing her his after a while.

She was tempted to keep it but since he is near her, she decided to use it.

 

**********

They took something to eat on the food court before they went out. It’s already two in the afternoon.

“Let’s get to the amusement park?” he offered.

“Sure!” she agreed and there he goes, grabbing her hand again as they took the bus.

The ride was done in silence as she enjoys the wind blowing on her on the open window. Sooner, she saw the tall rides and the massive structure of the gate of the said amusement park.

After they got down, he got both of them an all ride ticket.

 

“All ride? You are not dead serious about taking all the rides eh,” she looked at him.

“It’s an all ride so we will do all the rides as much as we can,” he smiled at her.

They started from those light rides before they soon leveled up on those scary rides.

He left the Ferris wheel for the finale.

“Should we just take it so we can do the arcades all in all?” she looked at him.

“Save the best for the last,” he smiled and pulled her again for a drink.

 

As they are going about the place holding their drinks she noticed a certain couple from afar.

“Hey, isn’t that Sooyoung and Kris?” she pointed.

Lay turned to the direction, still sipping on her drink. He gave a nod.

“What are they doing here? Are they dating?”She curiously looked up at him.

“It’s their first anniversary,” he replied looking around.

“Really? Omo! I never realized they will reach that far. I hope I get to see them with babies,” she sighed.

“Everyone wants that too. Let’s check that out,” he pointed over a small stand where plushies where hanged and displayed.

 

“Would you want anything?” he asked as he watches her marvel over the stuffed toys.

“They are so lovely,” she whispered, feeling a bit hesitant to touch them.

“Sir, if your girlfriend wants to have one, you just have to hit all these moving ducks,” the male tender of the stall gestured over the already moving yellow ducks.

“I just have to hit them?” he looked at the guy.

“Yep, but there’s a time limit of three minutes. Would you want to try?” he handed the paint ball gun.

“Ok,” he casually replied and positioned himself after paying as Hyoyeon watched him color all the ducks in more than a minute.

 

She was not surprised to see him exhibit that skill. After all, he had undergone same training with her. The male tender of the stall gaped at him as he handed him back the toy gun.

“Do I get to choose?” he asked as the guy gave him an absent minded nod.

“Pick whatever you want,” he turned to Hyoyeon.

She blushed as she went over the largest among the stuffed toys, a white fluffy unicorn.

“You like that? How about those teddy bears?” he looked at her, confused.

“This is the biggest and since you said I get to pick whatever I like so here it goes,” she hugged the stuffed toy, squishing it in her arms.

 

*********

(End of reminiscence)