The Red Light

What happened to us?

"Oppa, I'm really going to get mad if you don't tell me where we're going."

He gulped. “I told you, we’re going to a schedule.”

“Then why don’t you tell me what schedule we’re going to?” Taeyeon snapped from the back seat. “You’ve never acted like this before and it’s annoying. Something’s fishy.”

“I-“He was going to explain that it wasn’t his choice, and that he was ordered to bring her there, when the GPS beeped. “Oh! We’re here.”

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at him as she glanced out of the window. “This is a freaking carpark beside a warehouse, oppa.” Now that she was looking around, she realized that there were no vehicles around other than a red convertible in the middle of the carpark.

Who would park here at night? She thought. That’s creepy.

Her manager swallowed as he recalled the orders that Kim Young Min had given him. Tell her to get onto the car, in the driver’s seat. And drive out of the carpark, but not too far, to ensure that she stays in the car.

He glanced up at the trees near the carpark wall and a chill went down his back. Reporters. He nervously looked at an oblivious Taeyeon at the back seat, and was filled with guilt. He was going to do something that would hurt her.

“Go out, and get into the driver’s seat in that car,” He said, and pointed to the red convertible. Taeyeon looked at him in bewilderment, and saw that someone was sitting in the front seat, but she couldn’t tell who.

“Huh?” She said. “You want me….to get into that car? Are you crazy? What kind of schedule is this?”

“You know the variety show, Taxi? Where they pick celebs up in the taxi and interview them on the road?” His heart was beating like crazy. Stop lying, his mind told him to. You’re going to hurt her.

Taeyeon nodded. Jessica had gone onto the variety show once, and she had watched it online. However, wasn’t it filmed in the day? And since when did the guest drive?

“Today…it’s a Christmas special. The guest drives and they’re filming at night.”

Taeyeon sighed. It was slightly unbelievable, but if it was a schedule, then she had no choice, right? Furthermore, she was tired, and figured that it would be faster to get it over and done with.

Walking out of the car, she was preparing her face to look all bright, radiant, and full of energy. It was getting harder and harder to fake happy expressions when all she wanted to do was to go home and sleep, but she was already used to it.

Taeyeon pulled open the door and slided into the driver’s seat. And there, looking at her with an extremely shocked expression, was Byun Baekhyun.

 

“Is she in the car already?”

“Yes, Kim Young Min-shi.”

“Good. Now, I want you to watch her, and when she gets out of the car, drove over immediately to pick her up. Baekhyun’s manager is also waiting at the other side of the carpark.”

“I understand, but-“

“Hold on, another call is coming.” Kim Young Min frowned, and put him on hold to pick up the other call. “Hello?”

“It’s me, Reporter Park.”

“Hello! I believe she’s already there?”

“Yes. I’ve brought along my team so that we can take pictures at different angles, all at once.”

“Good.” Kim Young Min rubbed his hands together gleefully. “Take the pictures carefully, and I will give you the sum of money that I promised.”

“Deal.”

 

“Taeyeon Unnie?”

“Baekhyun?”

Taeyeon and Baekhyun stared at each other, completely stunned. They weren’t stunned at the sight of each other (taking into consideration that they were friends), but stunned at the fact that there was no one else in the car than them alone.

“What are you doing here?” Taeyeon asked. “Are you a guest too?”

“Guest?” Baekhyun echoed. “My manager told me that I had a schedule. What about you?”

“Same…. But don’t you find this weird? What kind of schedule is this?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “I didn’t ask my manager – but now that we’re thinking about it, this seems weird…..”

Taeyeon looked around the car, looking for cameras installed- but there weren’t any. If it was a variety show, there had to be cameras around, right? This was fishy….

Just then, she caught sight of a red light blinking from the corner of her eye. It came from where her foot was, right beside the brake. She gulped as she inched her face closer and reached out her hand to see where the blinking red light came from….

It can’t be.

Taeyeon drew a sharp breath as she wrenched the black device out for a better look. It was a recording device.

“What’s that?” Baekhyun gasped. “It looks like a bomb. You know, the ones that they show in American movies? When they want to blow up a car or building? The bomb always has a red blinking light-“

“It’s a recording device.” She said, staring at the device. “Not only that, but it’s a special kind. Someone is listening to each and every word that we were saying, right from the start.”

“Are you sure?”

Taeyeon nodded. She remembered going for a talk with the rest of the members, and it was a safety talk. Especially since there were more and more saesang fans around. Saesang fans would break into hotels, dorms, and vans. The members had been introduced to different kind of devices, from spying cameras that fans would plant into little soft toys as a gift, to recording devices, just like this one.

“Oh my gosh, that means we are being-“

Taeyeon clasped a hand over Baekhyun’s mouth and leaned over to whisper into his ear. “Don’t say anything and get out of the car, but be careful. Someone may be watching us.”

And right at that very exact moment, they froze in horror as a white light flashed across the car.

“We’re being photographed,” Taeyeon shuddered, completely forgetting about the device. “Someone set us up.”