The Tiger And His Prey

What happened to us?

Taeyeon nodded and released her from the hug, and swooped in for a kiss.

Jessica closed her eyes. Fighting with Taeyeon was hard to bear, but this moment made everything right. She felt complete and as they wrapped their arms tighter around each other, Jessica couldn’t help but think that Taeyeon was the one that she should always fight for and never let go.

All of a sudden, there were footsteps outside the studio. Someone was coming in.

! Taeyeon thought. I didn’t close the door!

They sprang apart from each other just to see Kim Young Min staring at them with a glint in his eye.

 

 

“Oho! What’s this that I’m seeing here?” Kim Young Min took a few steps towards them, causing Taengsic to back away in fear. Looking at the glint in his eye, it was like a tiger approaching his prey.

“Wow, I never imagined that something like this would happen in my company.” He remarked. “How disgusting and ungraceful.”

“This isn’t your company.” Taeyeon sneered. Since he had already made it clear that he didn’t like her from that talk they had the other day, she decided to go all out. What could he do to them if they loved each other? Love empowers over everything, and Taeyeon was determined to protect Jessica and herself from his menacing ways which he swore that he would carry out.

“What are you saying?” Jessica nudged her, but Taeyeon gave her a look. I’ll take care of this, Jessica.

“Not my company?” Kim Young Min laughed. “Why, you miss Soo Man? Then I suggest that you get out of here, but do take note of the fees and the lawsuit you’re going to have to go through if you really do that.”

Jessica paled. Breaking the contract meant that Taeyeon would have to pay millions of dollars, and Taeyeon didn’t have the money. She nudged Taeyeon again for her to calm down. Kim Young Min could be a total monster by forcing her out but still make it seem like she wanted to leave on her own.

Taeyeon heeded Jessica’s warning and tried to cool herself down. No matter how much she earned from Girls’ Generation, and even if they were to sell albums at high speed for the next 10 years, she still wouldn’t be able to pay the fee for breaking the contract. It was like a prison, it suddenly dawned on her.

“I haven’t seen anything like that since the TVXQ boys’ incident.” Kim Young Min went on. “And you know how I dealt with them, right?”

Jessica nodded in fear. She still could remember when two of the TVXQ seniors, Jaejoong and Junsu, announced their relationship in public during one of the mass meetings held. At that time, Kim Young Min was the temporary CEO as Lee Soo Man had gone away on holiday. Kim Young Min had forced the 2 of them out of the company when they refused to break up as well as YooChun whom strongly believed in human rights and rebelled against the company. The 3 of them were not only forced out, but Kim Young Min had smeared their name and sent word out that TVXQ had ‘internal conflict’. It was horrible and Jessica remembered that all the artists’ hatred for him started right there and then.

“Do you want to end up like them?” Kim Young Min snorted. “Knowing that Girls’ Generation has a ‘good bond’, I could easily make you all disband by smearing your name. All your fans will be disappointed and some may even kill themselves. Do you really want that?”

“No.” Jessica responded quickly. “We’re sorry.”

“Jessica!”

“I’ll leave it to you all to decide. If I ever catch you again,” he looked at Taeyeon, “you know what will happen.”

Kim Young Min stalked out of the room. Taeyeon looked at Jessica in bewilderment.

“Why did you apologize to him?” Taeyeon cried. “We don’t have anything to be sorry for.”

“You and I can’t afford to pay the millions of dollars.” Jessica said quietly. “And you know that.”

Taeyeon remained silent as Jessica sighed. “Your mother is getting worried because fans have been saying you look depressed lately. She called the dorm that day and she sounded so sick with worry that my heart ached even though she wasn’t my mother. What do you think will happen to her if she finds out that you have to pay millions because you broke the contract? Because you wanted to love and stand up for your own rights?”

“The only solution is to keep this a secret, Taeyeon-ah. Think about it. For your mother, for Girls’ Generation, and for me as well. We gave up our youth and lives for this, and is it going to end here?”

“Think about it, okay? I’m begging you. Don’t try to fight with Kim Young Min, He’s very dangerous, and we’ll never win.” Jessica pleaded.

Taeyeon sighed. “Okay. For my mother, for Girls’ Generation, and for you.”

“Gomawo, Taeyeon-ah.” Jessica reached up to her hair but suddenly put her hand down. “Let’s not go near each other in the company, okay?”

Taeyeon’s heart broke as she nodded and watched Jessica leave the dance studio first.

Pabo, she thought. You’re trying to sound like everything’s going to be alright but I know that you’re worried as well.

 

Jessica sighed as she returned back to the dorm. The thought of not being able to interact with Taeyeon in the company was heartbreaking. There were CCTVs everywhere, and it was nearly impossible to find a corner where the CCTVs did not cover.

Except for the toilet cubicles, Jessica thought. But what would everyone think when they see us getting out of the cubicle together…..

They hadn’t even announced their relationship to the group, although most of the members should be aware of it by now. By the way they act and were suddenly a lot closer to each other….

At least we have the duet album, Jessica thought as she took off her shoes. It will take months for recording, filming the music videos, promoting, and going to fansigns and variety shows together….

She felt a million times better. Kim Young Min couldn’t break them apart even if he wanted to.

“Sica! Dinner’s ready!” Sunny called from the kitchen.

“I’m coming!” Jessica squealed. She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she hadn’t realized how hungry she was.

Just then, the door unlocked and Taeyeon came in. She looked at Jessica as Jessica said, “Should we tell them about us today?”

Taeyeon’s eyes widened. “Today?!”

Jessica nodded. “It’s not like they haven’t noticed. Although Fany’s doing a pretty good job at keeping it a secret, but I’m sure that they have suspected us. Yoona probably knows.”

“You told her?” Taeyeon asked.

Jessica shook her head. “I asked for  ... uh… advice before we were together and told her that I…erm….liked you.”

Taeyeon laughed as Jessica covered in embarrassment. “Yah, shut up.”

“You like me? Say that again.” Taeyeon teased.

“No.” Jessica huffed and hurried to her dinner table.

Taeyeon slide onto the seat beside Jessica as Jessica gave her an annoyed look. “Go away.”

“Okay, I’m sorry.” Taeyeon tried to do aegyo but burst into laughter again. Jessica too couldn’t contain her laughter and started giggling at Taeyeon’s attempt to look cute.

“What, are you two flirting in front of us?” Sooyoung tsked as she looked at them.

“Come to think of it, Taeyeon unnie and Jessica unnie are no longer in a cold war and are talking to each other again! Yay!” Seohyun happily clapped her hand together like a seal, causing her unnies to burst out in laughter.

“Wae?” Seohyun pouted in dismay.

“Maknae, they have made up ages ago.” Yoona laughed. “Although you were probably too busy with Yonghwa to notice that, huh?”

“And you’re too busy with Seunggi oppa too.” Seohyun retorted back in a cute way. “I saw you guys kissing at the carpark yesterday-“She stopped just in time to dodge a flying napkin that Yoona had thrown at her.

“Not bad, Yoona.” Sooyoung teased. “Have you done it yet?”

“WHAT?!” Yoona laughed in bewilderment. “You’re gross! Do it with yours!”

Taeyeon cleared . “Yah, guys, keep quiet. I have an announcement to make.”

“What? You have a boyfriend too?” Sunny said.

Tiffany and Jessica giggled as they made eye contact. Yoona just sat there and smiled as she watched Jessica giggle.

“Yeah.” Taeyeon said. “And she’s here.”

“SHE?” Sunny said as her eyes drifted to Jessica. “I KNEW IT!”

“Seriously?” Yuri exclaimed as she looked at Jessica and then back to Taeyeon again. “Oh my gosh, congratulations guys!”

Jessica just smiled as everyone gave their wishes and congratulated them. Just then, the door unlocked and all 9 of them looked up.

“Annyeong, Manager oppa.” Yoona greeted and waved at him cheerfully, but he did not greet her back. Instead, he looked very flustered.

“What happened?” Taeyeon asked as he looked at her, but she had a feeling that she somewhat knew what it was.

Then, as if it was a nightmare, he said, “Taeyeon and Jessica, your duet has been cancelled.”