Just the beginning

What happened to us?

Taeyeon didn’t understand. Why had she been feeling this way towards Jessica lately over the past few months? Every time she tried not to, there was always some reason that made her dislike Jessica more.

She still remembered that time when all the members went all out to prepare a surprise birthday event for Jessica. Tiffany in particular, had been running up and down all day, on the day before the event.

“Why are you trying so hard to organize this for Jessica? I mean, you didn’t even put this much effort in your brother’s birthday party.”  Taeyeon had asked her.

“What do you mean?” Tiffany had replied. “Jessica has been my longest friend in the group! From going to school together back then during high school, until now, years after our debut! This is just something to thank Jessica for everything she’s been though with me.”

What about me? Taeyeon thought bitterly. Am I not your good friend too? Do you value Jessica more as a friend?

The final straw was when she saw Tiffany and Jessica skipping hand in hand down the stage with wide grins plastered on their faces during their world tour, completely forgeting Taeyeon at the back. They fooled around together, looked at each other with that flirty stare, making fans go crazy and wanting more “JeTi”. They did this not only for 1 concert, but almost every concert during their world tour.

At their concert, Taeyeon realized with a pang that fans had been chanting “JeTi” throughout and even held up banners. Is Taeny not popular anymore? She thought then, clenching her fists in jealousy. Since when was JeTi more popular than Taeny? Was she losing Tiffany….to Jessica?

Jessica too, had realized Taeyeon’s attitude towards her for the past few months. She wanted to ask Taeyeon what was wrong, but every time she tried to approach Taeyeon to strike up a conversation, Taeyeon either walked away saying she needed to rest or merely gave one word replies, as if she wasn’t really interested.

Jessica had tried and was getting really tired of Taeyeon’s cold shoulder, and sometimes she made Jessica really annoyed by acting coldly to her even in front of the fans and public.

However annoyed Jessica might get, she reminded herself of the good old days that were spent laughing and crying with Taeyeon, and that motivated her to continue trying and never giving up.

Those good old days where Taengsic was more popular than any other ship in the group. When Taengsic fansites had something to update everyday and were filled with life. Now, all the fansites were more or less dead the last time she checked, and instead of the comments being “Taengsic best couple ever” it became “We want Taengsic back….”

Taeyeon too, missed those times, but she felt like she was more or less content with “Taeny” now. Everyone will soon forget about Taengsic, she reminded hersef.

On the last day of the concert of their world tour, Jessica was done with her makeup and realized that she really needed to go to the toilet. “I should go, “she thought. Anyway, it was a whole 3 hours before she could relieve herself.

She quickly rushed into a cubicle. Not long after she went in, she heard someone come in. “It must be one of the staff,” she thought, and she quickly went out to wash her hands.

Click. Suddenly, she saw Taeyeon’s face from the reflection mirror, and froze for a moment. Jessica wanted to say hi, but Taeyeon’s poker face made her think otherwise.

Shhhhhhh. The sound of water filled the awkward atmosphere. Just as Taeyeon was going to walk away, Jessica decided that it was now or never. When would there ever be an opportunity like this where Taeyeon was willing to stand beside her for more than 5 seconds?

“Hi Tae,” Jessica smiled. “Your outfit looks very nice on you.”

Taeyeon glanced at Jessica. “All our outfits are more or less the same,” she replied coldly.

Our first conversation in months.

Jessica felt like she had to clarify the situation between them now, or she would never get the chance again. Taeyeon would probably choose to go to the other toilet at the far end just to avoid Jessica, if she could reverse the time.

Here goes nothing.

“Taeyeon,” Jessica breathed deeply. “Why are you giving me the cold shoulder?”

"Did I?" Taeyeon looked at her. "Since when?"

“You know it yourself,” Jessica said. “Every time I try to approach you, you just walk away or just dismissed the conversation. I don’t understand. Why are you like this? Have I been doing something wrong?”

“No,” Taeyeon said. “There’s nothing wrong. “ There was a waver in her voice, Taeyeon felt like she was going to cry and felt confused. Why do I feel this way? She thought.

“You can’t fool me, Kim Taeyeon,” Jessica said sharply. Realising her sharp tone, Jessica’s voice softened.

“I mean….. We used to be good friends! How did we end up like this? Why are you always ignoring me… as if you hate me?”
 

“Oh? I’m not very sure myself. Now would you excuse me? We don't really have the time for a conversation. The concert is going to start. “ She glanced at Jessica and started towards the door.

“Taeyeon…..please tell me what’s wrong! Don’t you see me as a friend?” Jessica looked at her with such pleading eyes that Taeyeon’s heart softened for a moment. But in a split second, she was back to being cold Taeyeon and looked at Jessica with such cold, glassy eyes that Jessica stared back in shock.

“Do you think I did?” Taeyeon asked coldly.

“Wha…What?” Jessica’s eyes filled with tears. She hates me, she thought. I thought I could solve this, but it seems like it’s over.

Jessica blinked back her tears. “I don’t know what to say, Kim Taeyeon. I didn’t know that you were this heartless, constantly pushing away someone who is trying so hard to mend a friendship. You’re nothing but a cold, heartless , and I hope you know what you’re doing.” She ran past Taeyeon past the door, trying very hard to control the tears.