The Real Foe

My Sweetheart Is A Gold Digger ♥
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pie’s POV

            “Is it anything wrong on my face?” Fern asked me and all I did was managing a deadpan face to her. I just wondered how she could be this shameless and acted that innocent in front of me. It’s just too awkward. She’s in my kitchen, wearing my apron, using my utensils and apparently was preparing our dinner.

 

Fern circled the kitchen island and took her seat on the stool next to me. “Come on, Pie. You have been staring at me for like half an hour. Stop looking at me as if I’m an alien and speak to me.” She sighed loudly, a sight of frustration appeared on her faced – depicting how she was upset with my coldness but how could I react normally to someone whom I dislike the most?

 

            “Pie, if you don’t speak to me. I’ll take you to see the doctor.” She hurriedly took me by my hand.

 

I have to dodge away. “You don’t need to do that. Crazy.” I hissed at her.

 

            “Perhaps you’re hungry. That’s why you’re not in the mood.” Fern nodded to herself. “Well, it’s just a few more minutes and we’ll have our food, alright?” She patted my shoulder lightly and headed back to the stove. As far as Fern did acknowledge me, she was preparing for some simple meal. I could tell that it’s some spaghetti sauce judging from the smell that wafted all over the kitchen. Surprisingly, it smelled so good and mouth-watering. I didn’t know that she was good at cooking. She looked like a spoiled child who never stepped her feet into the kitchen for the chores.

 

            “I can take care of myself. You don’t have to trouble yourself and stay with me for the night.” I have tried my best to minimize the harshness in my language. Even if I disliked her, it didn’t necessarily mean that I have to treat her like she wasn’t human. She’s also a person with a heart and also a woman like me.

 

Fern turned to look at me at any instant she heard me. She leaned her lithe body to the cabinet and crossed her arms to her chest as she smiled at me. “It’s not really a big deal. I think I’ll enjoy it.” She said.

 

            “You know I couldn’t pretend that I’m just alright with you after what you have done to me, Fern.” I told her and she gazed at me – looking conflicted herself. No one could be that fine when they were actually dealing with someone who was a life threatening to themselves. How could I just trust her when she could conceal all intention to me? I have a bad inkling that she wasn’t a friend. She’s still a foe to me.

 

            “I know it’s difficult for you to trust me, Pie. However, I’m not here not to harm you. I really came as a friend. Let’s just make everything clear now.” Fern responded.

 

            “Whatever you say, I still can’t trust you that easy.”

 

            “Do you need a help?” I switched the topic of our conversation instantly.

 

Fern nodded at me. “Could you please set up the table and what not? I’m starving.”

 

            **********************************************************************

 

            “How it tastes?” Fern leaned towards me and studied my expression. It’s strangely luscious and appetizing. Kim had ever cooked the same western meal to me and I could tell that Fern’s is the best compared to Kim’s. The sauce is the perfect combination of spice, salty, sweet and sour.  She added some mushroom, sliced sausage and some meat balls too and the meat balls are probably my favourite. I saw she made them herself just now. She impressed me.

 

            “Good.” I commented. “Kim used to cook the same thing to me.” I told her.

 

Fern smiled at me before she told me something that made me lost my appetite. “I used to cook it for Kim.”

 

            “She really loved it, right?” Fern prompted. I felt my chewing movement was getting heavier each time I pondered about the thing. Have you ever heard people said people might change but there are two things that you can't change them? They are their name and the memories you've had with them. I didn’t truly know who Kim was but it seemed that Fern has profound effect in her past.

 

            “Yes, she does.” I found myself answering.

 

            “Kim is a picky person. She complained a lot when it comes to eating.” Fern told me and I was sent stricken with it. Along my entire life with Kim, she never complained anything to me. Every time I did prepare her the meal, she would just eat them as she pleased. Did it mean that Kim was just pretending that she was alright with the food?

 

            “I didn’t hear any complaint from Kim when I cook for her.” I shrugged.

 

            “She loves you, Pie. She won’t complain for anything.” Fern said.

 

            “You’re the luckiest girl on the world. Do you know that?” She asked me. I shrugged in return – nonchalant.

 

            “Tell me Pie. Do you love Kim?” She asked me again. We were both has stopped eating even though there are plenty of the food on our plates.

 

Fern gazed at me and I returned the same gesture. The staring match lengthened for a few seconds before she began to speak again. “You’re uncertain.”

 

            “It’s none of your business.” I recoiled.

 

            “Sure. It’s none of my business. I just pitied Kim for that.” She said and continued to eat her food. I kept my eyes on her. My patience was growing thin whenever I had to deal with Fern. She’s really something.

 

            “Stop staring at me and eat your food Pie.” Fern said without even looking at me. “I’m hungry. We’ll talk later.”

 

Fern washed the dishes while I took care of cleaning the kitchen when we were done with our meal. Fern was really not going to leave this house when she asked me to use the bathroom. She’s going to stay overnight here. I have the choice to actually kick her out from here but surprisingly I didn’t do that. Well, there’s something I could do with her. We needed to talk.

 

            **********************************************************************

Fern settled down next to me on the bed and rolled herself to her comfortable position as she sneaked into the duvet. Again, it was just too awkward to have her by my side. She told me that it was alright for her to sleep on the floor but it was me who felt pity for her. Fern – the daughter of one of the richest person in Thailand. She might not used to sleep on that cold and hard floor. However, the most important thing is I wasn’t a mean person. Fern deserved to be treated as a guest even though I dislike her. I shall provide her with a good accommodation.

 

            “Your bed is so comfortable.” Fern said as she rolled to her side and faced me. I didn’t want to look at her so I remained myself to lie down on my back.

 

            “Fern, can I ask you something?” I glanced briefly at her before I threw my gaze to the white ceiling again.

 

            “You can ask me anything. That’s my function here. I’m going to make everything clear.” Fern answered.

 

            “Could you tell me about yourself?” I began.

 

Instead of answering me at any instant, Fern grunted in disgust to my question. “Did I say anything wrong to you?” I asked her, bewildered with her reaction.

 

Fern shook her head. “No. it’s just that you’re being too formal and I just had enough for such question when I did the task as an interviewer for the employment of our new employees.”

 

            “I think it’s enough with it.” Fern raised up her hand to me. “I don’t think you wanted to know about me. It’s better for me to tell you what Kim and I had in the past.” She said in a one sharp breath as she turned serious.

 

            “Kim and I was a good friend since where were child…” Fern began to narrate her story. I learned that she and Kim didn’t grow up in Thailand. During their childhood days, they were both being raised up in Australia where it came to my knowledge that their fathers built up a business together as a business partner. Fern and Kim spent their days together, going to the same kindergarten, the same elementary school and not to tell the high school. As time went by, they grew overly attached to each other that Fern began to realize she has a deep affection towards Kim. It wasn’t a one sided feeling when Kim did tell her the same thing. They started to have a serious relationship in secrecy and their wonderful moment only stayed for a few months. The disaster struck when Mr. Jittaleela did figure out their relationship not before they managed to tell their parents about it. Mr. Jittaleela has put an end to their relationship when he decided to go back to Thailand, separating both of them to a greater distance. As for Fern, she had to stay there. Her father held the biggest share on the company and nothing could make them leave for any reason. Along their years of parting, none of them get contacted and it seemed that Mr. Jittaleela’s plan succeeded. She knew nothing about Kim neither Kim knew nothing about her even though their parents often met each other for any occasion. The only thing that she was being acknowledged, Kim was sent to further her study abroad and so did she.

 

            “The first moment I got to know that you were engaged to Kim, my heart shattered into pieces.” Fern said. Fern told me that after so many years, she was finally able to return to Thailand and she was too excited that she could actually Kim in person. However, by the time she came here, it only came to her disappointment that Kim was being engaged to someone else and that someone else is also a woman just like her.

 

            “If you were me Pie, do you think it’s fair for you?” She asked me. What she expected me to answer her? I would say that it was unfair too.

 

            “No. I don’t think it’s fair for me.” I told her truthfully.

 

            “You do understand me too.” She nodded knowingly.

 

            “But how could you tolerate this with me now?” I queried, curious with the thought.

 

            “Didn’t I tell you that everything was clear between me and Kim?” She let out a soft chuckle. “In other words, I have moved on.” She sighed in contentment.

 

            “How could it be that easy?” I flooded her with more question.

 

            “I found out that the more I held myy grudges to you and Kim, the more I get hurt. With each and every attempt I tried to take Kim away from you all I could see is failure. Kim loves you too much that I can do nothing to make her come back to me.” Fern said with all sincerity in her tone.

 

            “She’s all you worth for Pie. Keep her and love her before it’s too late.”

 

            “Do you know anything about me?” I gazed at her, sensing that Fern did know more than she deserved.

 

            “Are you ready for the wedding?” She didn’t answer me. Instead, she threw me question that answering my suspicious. Fern did know that I didn’t want the wedding to take place. She knew I didn’t want to marry Kim that sooner.

 

            “It’s none of your business too, Fern. You shouldn’t bother with it.” I snapped. I could have killed Kim by now. Why did she even bother to tell about us to others?

 

            “No one tell me about it Pie. Kim never talked about her private life with you to me. I’m a woman too. I could see everything from your eyes.” She surprised me. After all, I thought Kim has told her anything about our relationship but it seemed that I was wrong.

 

            “Don’t be scared Pie. Love might never last and worth the risk but in between your journey to find the love, lays your happiness. Don’t let go what’s in front of you. Cherish it while it’s yours.” She advised as she has known me for a long time.

 Then, the notification tone from Fern’s smart phone disturbed our conversation. As if it was an important call, she hurriedly grabbed it from the night stand and checked on it. At any instant she was done reading the message that was meant for her, Fern shifted her gaze from the phone to me – smiling brightly yet mischievously. It’s a lie if I told that she didn’t frighten me.

 

            “You’re not trying to kill me again, don’t you?” I distanced myself from her.

 

“I’m not going to harm you.” Fern face palmed her face, sighing in frustration. How would I know? I have to be careful.

 

“Anyway, let me tell you something.” She began again. “My friend will be throwing a party tomorrow night. Come with me Pie?” She gazed at me with a pleading look. Going to party? I’m not used to attend any party. Partying is not my thing.

 

“Don’t worry Pie. It’s just for a birthday celebration.” Fern assured it to me.

 

“I have never attended any party.” I told her truthfully.

 

“You have me. Well, it’s time for you to live your life without Kim, sometimes. Let’s call it girls’ night out.” Fern’s face lit up with an excitement as she said to me. She really wished that I could come with her.

 

“Perhaps I should tell Kim first.” I grabbed my phone on the night stand at my side.

 

“It’s up to you. I’m sure she will let you.”

 

Instead giving Kim a phone call, I sent her a text message. I wished Kim would say no to my request. I just don’t want to go out with Fern.  A few seconds later, Kim replied my text.

 

It read, “YOU SHOULD GO WITH HER. ENJOY YOUR NIGHT OUT.” Why? She wasn’t supposed to let me go with Fern but it seemed that Kim trusted her more that I do

 

            “Alright, I think the answer is yes.” Fern said out of sudden and I didn’t actually see since when she did take a peek to my phone. Could she give me a break? This woman was always trying to pry into my privacy.

 

            “I don’t think I could.” I rolled to my opposite side, back facing her. I think it’s better for me to sleep. It was such an exhausting day. I’m so beat to my bone and I needed to rest. I wished when I wake up again tomorrow morning, Fern would be just a nightmare who disturbed my sleep.

 

            “It would be fun. Trust me.” She pleaded again.

 

            “I’m tired, Fern. You should sleep too.” I refused to talk to her.          

 

            “Well, good night Pie. We’ll talk again tomorrow.” My bedroom went dark when she switched off the bedside lamp. Let’s say that I risked myself to be harmed once again. I just hope that the next morning I’m still alive.

 

            *********************************************************************

The next morning…

 

            “Pie, wake up.” Someone shook my body vigorously. “Pie, wake up.” There my world started to shake again as if the earth quake is happening.

 

I peeked up to the digital clock on the night stand. It’s too early to wake up. “What’s wrong with you Kim? It’s just 5.30 a.m!” I grunted to my annoyance.

 

            “I’m not Kim you know. I’m Fern.” She said. I bolted up from the bed immediately. Shock struck me upon hearing the name. Did I forget something? Oh, she was staying overnight at my place.

 

            “Why are you waking me up this early, Fern?” I stared indignantly at her. I watched she picked up her belongings and began to pack them up. She was about to leave?

 

            “I have to go now. I have errand to do.” She told me. I took a look at the clock again. What was she going to do at this hour?

 

            “Then why did you even bother to wake me up? Just leave and make sure you lock the door when you exit the house.” I grunted again.

 

            “You don’t need to teach me that.” She took a brief glance at me. “Listen to me Pie. I will fetch you in the afternoon about 3 p.m. Make sure that you’re all ready when I arrived.” Fern told me.

 

            “What is it for?” I felt wide awake at any moment I realized that she was trying to take me somewhere.

 

            “Did you forget it? We are going to the party.” She answered me patiently. “I’ll help you with the attire and what not. After that, we’ll be going to the party venue.” As if she could figure out my reaction, she quickly explained the details to me.

 

            “Are we clear, Pie?” She stopped her activity and gazed at me for a conformation.

 

            “Do I have a choice?”

 

            “Good. See you later. You can continue your sleep.” She smiled at me and walked away. Whatever does it take; I have to be careful with Fern. She might change for whatever reasons she gave but who would know if the flame of her grudges never diminished? I wouldn’t let myself to be tripped in her trap.

 

            ********************************************************************

 

            “Kim, when are you going to come home?” I asked her the same question over again. We have been on the phone for about 15 minutes and Kim seemed not to get tired of me.

 

            “I’ll try to make it tomorrow – in the evening.” Kim told me precisely. “Are you going to the party with Fern tonight?” She asked me.

 

            “I wished I don’t have to go but she insisted.”

 

            “Just enjoy the party, Pie. She’s one of my friends too.” Kim chuckled.

 

            “Partying is not my thing and how could I socialize with the people I don’t even know.” I complained at her. I heard Kim laughed at the other end of the line. What’s so hilarious with it?

 

            “Unless Fern is going to introduce you as my fiancée, I think she would just introduce you as her friend.” Kim said. “Just make friends with them. They are kind persons.” Kim tried to ease my feeling.

 

            “Surely they are rich kids as well.” I prompted and it invited another wave of laughter from Kim.

 

            “They are not kids anymore Pie. Let’s use ladies and gentlemen.” Kim corrected me.

 

            “What should I wear to the party?” I asked for her opinion.

 

            “You have a lot of dresses in your wardrobe. Just pick one of them and wear it to the party.” Kim suggested – not that really helpful in other way around.

 

            “Shall I wear the blue dress?” I asked for her opinion.

 

            “No. Wear the plain red.” Kim said.

 

            “Why red?” I was sent to my bewilderment. Kim loved the colour blue.

 

            “Because you will look hot in red.” Kim purred.

 

            “You’re a nasty ert!” Kim laughed upon hearing my response. 

 

            “Wear anything that you think it’s comfortable to you. You’re beautiful. Anything would suit you well.” Kim said and I was the one who flushed. She never failed to flatter me and her spontaneous reply was just endearing.

 

            “Pie, I have to hang up now. I’ll talk to you later.” Kim put an end to our conversation. I heard the sound of footfalls approaching her and there’s the voice of people talking in the background.

 

            “Talk to you later. I miss you.”

 

            “I miss you too. Take care, love. Enjoy your night.” Kim told me and instantly the phone call was cut off. I wished I could talk for a longer time with her. I wanted to tell Kim that I have a bad inkling for tonight. It was something unpleasant to brood about but who am I to foresee what will be going later on. It’s either Fern would dragged me into her trap or it would be me who would brought myself into trouble, all I need to do is be aware of my surrounding and take care of myself.

 

            ***********************************************************************

 

The time moved a bit slower when we waited for something to come. I spent my time to read an online book before Fern arrived. When she called me earlier, she told me that she was on the way to my home. Sick of the dead silence of the house, I switched the television on to kill my boredom.  Nothing on the show caught my interest. I just let it opened so that I heard voices inside my house. I wondered how I could stand to live like this the previous month. What did I actually do formerly?

 

A few minutes later, Fern was already at my yard – fetching me with her sleek and shiny luxurious red BMW. She stepped out from the car and put off the dark shades that covering her eyes. Just at the perfect timing she gazed at me, the wind blew her hair making her looked exactly like an actress from a movie.

 

            “Are you ready Pie?” She asked me enthusiastically.

 

            “Yeah whatever. Where should we head to?” I walked to her direction. Fern circled the car and went to the passenger’s side to open the door for me. It swung upward just like Kim’s Lamborghini. Perhaps I should ask Kim to buy me one. The exquisite design of this car caught my interest.

 

            “Let’s go to the spa and pampered ourselves.” Fern clarified.

 

            “Are you serious Fern? We are running late.” I protested.

 

            “You’re so not cool Pie.” She pouted at me. “I just want to look good and don’t you see how miserable I am right now? I need to do something with my appearance.” Fern complained at me. Honestly, I didn’t see anything wrong with her. Perhaps it was just her mind set that told her she wasn’t fine. Though I admitted that she looked a bit worn out, she still looked beautiful the way she is.

 

            “If it’s what you say. I’ll just accompany you.” I told her and went into the car. Fern circled the car again and entered the driver side awhile later. She glanced at me before she started the engine again. This woman is just so weird sometimes. I have to remind myself repeatedly that I have to be careful with her movement and so did mine.

 

            ********************************************************************

At the end of the day, Fern ended up not going to the spa neither anywhere to pamper herself. The traffic was quite heavy today that we have wasted so much time on the congested road before we could even change our route. Unfortunately her house was taking the same route as the jam – packed road itself.  It took awhile before we stopped at a huge mansion. There’s no need to tell – it’s Fern’s home. Our arrival was being welcomed by her butler. The woman whom Fern call Bertha took her belonging and guided me as we entered the mansion. Fern and Kim were both born in silver spoon. They were just too far differed from me. I was born poor and nothing in my life has put me into a fortunate luck. I was a pitiful person.

 

            “Bring some drink for me and Pie.” Fern directed to her butler. “Pie, do you have anything on your mind?” She asked me.

 

            “Apple juice would be fine. Thank you.” I thought I was now adapted to their way of life. I learned that you can ask anything as you wished when you come to visit them. They have and served everything you requested for.

 

            “I’ll have the tea. Send them to my room.” Fern directed again and I saw the butler nodded knowingly before she walked to the other part of the mansion.

 

            “Let’s head to my room, Pie.” Fern walked ahead and I trailed behind her. We climbed the staircase to the second floor and ended up at the room in the middle of the hallway.

 

            “The room opposite to mine is my sister’s.” Fern told me before we entered her room.

 

            “I thought you are the only child.” I found myself saying.

 

            “No Pie. I have an elder sister. She is married and she stays with her husband.” Fern informed me as she closed the door behind her. She walked me further into her room. It was thrice bigger than Kim’s room back in Jittaleela’s Residence. In my estimation, the size of her room could accommodate a family back at the slum area where I used to live. It’s just spacious enough to place five to ten persons here.

 

            “Welcome to my room.” Fern said as she invited me to have a seat at her mini living room inside her bedroom. She switched on the television and slumped herself to the couch.

 

            “I’m so beat.” She complained.

 

            “Well, what’s going on today?” I tried to be friendly to her. If Fern could make an effort to show how much she wanted to be friend with me, why couldn’t I help her for that and be positive sometimes?

 

            “My Dad called me that early in the morning, telling me that I have to take a flight to the Northern part for some business and I just came back a few hours ago.” Fern told me and I was the one who couldn’t believe it.

 

            “You fly here and there in just for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter