My life, My choice

Runaway Bride

 

 

“Did you attend the public health conference today?” TOP said in icy voice.

Seungri’s expression went blank. He look down and turn off his e-book reader and place it on the small table at his side. “I’m not sure what you talking about.”

TOP feels like he was in battle zone. Every time he ask Seungri for his answer is always a challenge because he won’t share any details with him. Just like this moment. It feel like Seungri try to hide one more secret from him.

“Should I call the assistant and ask for details about your day?” TOP loosened his tie fiercely.

Seungri’s mouth tightened. “No, there’s no need to do that. I attend a few events at the conference.”

The vein in his forehead began to pop out. Seungri is really going to give him major headache. TOP put his hands in his pockets. “After I told you to stay away from anything related to medicine?” his voice sound like venom.

“They invite me.” Seungri said firmly, jumping from his chair. “It would be rude to turn down the invitation.”

“I’m sure you will come up with excuse.”

Seungri’s jaw shift to one side. “Why would I made an excuse? I want to go. Those people understand me. I feel like I finally belong somewhere.”

“Don’t disobey me again,” TOP said gritted his teeth.

Seungri went stiff, his body slightly shaking with tension. “It’s not like I planned it!”

Seungri’s outburst really surprised him. No one talk back when he gave command. “I mean it, Seungri.”

No, he don’t back down. Seungri his jaw out and his eyes spark with rebel. “You are unreasonable. There is nothing wrong with changing opinions about medicine or having basic first aid skills.”

“You don’t need to use them.”

“You don’t know that. What if you suddenly faint?” Seungri ask while put his hands on his hips. “Do you want me to stay back and hope someone else help you?”

“Yes.”

Seungri blinked. “Are you serious? You really don’t want my help?”

TOP saw hurt in Seungri’s eyes. He want to erase the pain and tell Seungri that his decision had nothing to do with him learn medicine but he need to stay firm.

There are some things Seungri can’t do because of his position and new role. Having a career is not practical. Seungri need to understand that he can’t continue with his dreams. Those dreams had died the moment Seungri married him. He hate that fact as much as he did, but it was time to move forward and not look back. But if he want to change that, it means he need to face every challenging elders in every tribes.

“My security team are trained for all type of emergency,” TOP explained. “If I found out you interfere with their jobs I would be mad.”

“Well, I don’t have security team.”

“Yes, you do.” TOP frown. How could Seungri not know that fact?

Seungri narrow his eyes and tilt his head as he look at TOP totally confuse. “What are you talking about?”

“You have full security team following you since our wedding day. How else would I have found you when you wandered off into the bookstore?”

He had a security team. Seungri’s heart stop, his body was shaking. There was a team of professionals who tracked him every move. And he had no idea about it.

He look down and clasp his hands together in front of him. He can’t let TOP see the terror look in his face. All this time he had been angry at himself for not taking any opportunity to escape. He had hesitated to take that action so many times. Yet if he try to leave TOP he would have failed miserably.

“Who? How many?” Seungri ask. He had no idea who was following him. He did not recognize anyone as they travelled from one place to another.

“That doesn’t matter.” TOP dismiss Seungri’s questions. “You’re not playing doctor. I don’t want to hear that you give such as a vitamin to someone.”

Seungri remained silent. How could he possibly make a promise like that?

“Seungri,” TOP warned, “you need to learn how to obey.”

“Or what?” Seungri flash his eyes at TOP.

TOP’s eyes become dark. “Don’t push me.”

“I know how you feel about the idea of me study medicine. But do you know how I feel about it?” Seungri ask bitterly. “Do you know that I’ve always want to follow my parents footsteps? I really find medicine world fascinating. Do you know?”

TOP slowly fold his arms. “I know that you’ve been fascinated by medicine since you thirteen years old. But what you really want to do is to continue your parent’s works.”

Seungri dumbfounded when he heard TOP’s answer. He think TOP would understand how important for him to achieve his dream. He feel as if TOP had betrayed him.

“I also suspect you’re hiding a few medical thrillers on that e-reader.”

Seungri throw a guilty look at the e-reader. What? Was TOP fine with him having interest in medicine as long as he didn’t use it. Well...that bull$hit.

“I’m protecting you from a battle you can’t win.”

“But you’re keeping me away from something I love.”

“I know.” TOP push his fingers into his hair and take a breath. “Maybe I can create a small role for you in the medical community,” he said.  

Seungri draw his head back as his heart began to pump hard. Was TOP speaking the truth? Will he doing something for him without asking anything in return? He hate to being sceptical, but it was his only amour.

“I’m not qualified,” Seungri point out quickly. He was young, uneducated and from low ranks. “I don’t think the elders are going to agree.”

“I will handle the elders,” TOP reply.

“Thank you for the offer, TOP. It’s very kind of you.” But that was not his dream. “I’ll think about it.”

TOP reach out and cup Seungri’s face with his hands and intently look into his eyes. “That’s the best offer you’re going to get.”

“I know.” Seungri was beginning to understand. But he want to live his life on his own rules and he will not be able to get that if he stay with him.

He was sick that he can’t make his own choice all this while, and now when he has the opportunity to do that, he will not allow someone to make the choice for him.