eight

Yes, I'm Hero

Index:

(WH) - Woohyun speaking
(YJ) - Young Jae speaking
(DH) - Daehyun speaking
(HC) - Himchan speaking
(BY) - Yongguk speaking
(SH) - Seohyun speaking
(S) - Sungyeol speaking
(JU) - Jongup speaking
(SU) - Sunny speaking
(Y) - Yuri speaking
(Z) - Zelo speaking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“DAEHYUN!” (YJ) His whole body stiffened from hearing that all too familiar voice echo throughout the room. Was that voice real or a figment of his imagination? Daehyun quietly waited as the echoes began to die down. He had hoped that they would call out to him once more, but it didn’t seem like that would be happening. Daehyun hugged his legs a little tighter, trying to forget about the darkness that engulfed his entire surroundings. His hope was rapidly diminishing before once more, the voice called out to him. “DAEHYUN!” (YJ)

This time, Daehyun lifted his head as he looked around. It was still impossible to see anything, but he was determined to find the person calling out to him. With a bit of hesitance, Daehyun slowly got to his feet as he used the wall for support. Once he was certain that everything was stable, Daehyun took in a deep breath as he began walking forward. He may not be able to see where he was going, but he couldn’t give up if there was hope. After all.. he had a promise to keep.

The room was much larger than he had anticipated. Daehyun wasn’t really certain if that was a good thing or a bad thing, considering the many negative features to both sides. Well, as long as he wasn’t trapped in a small room, then it should be alright. It gave him the freedom he needed to be able to move around freely. Yes, it would take longer to find the person that he was looking for, but at least he wouldn’t feel confined.

In that instant, Daehyun no longer felt the ground beneath him. He frantically looked around, his fears taking hold of him once more. The fact that he couldn’t see where he was falling to was far worse than sitting alone in the darkness. At least he would have been safely planted on the ground with the possibility of being found by someone else.

His thoughts quickly swirled around the one person that he wanted to find and be found by. Tears welled up within Daehyun once more as he shook his head. He couldn’t die this way! He had a promise to keep and he wasn’t about to break that promise just yet. Just as his renewed determination filled him once more, a voice called out to him from above. “DAEHYUN! GRAB IT!” (YJ)

What was he supposed to grab? Daehyun couldn’t see or feel anything, but he had to trust Young Jae. He reached forward, his hand feeling some sort of rope that was quickly slipping from his grasp. Without waiting a moment longer, Daehyun grabbed onto the rope with both hands, which caused the rope to suddenly begin glowing a bright, pale yellow. The light forced Daehyun to shut his eyes tightly as a warm glow engulfed him. “You’re safe now..” (YJ)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daehyun could feel his head throbbing as he laid comfortably in bed. He groaned a bit, lifting his hand in an attempt to soothe the pain. He didn’t necessarily get all that far before he felt a body practically throw themselves onto his stomach, knocking the wind out of him. Slowly, he forced his eyes open as he heard voices around him. “..-ful, Jongup!” (SH)

“I’m really sorry! I didn’t know!” (JU) Through narrowed eyelids, Daehyun began registering whom, exactly, was in the room with him. To his right, Jongup was holding Mister Buttons while he seemed to be sad about something. To his left, Seohyun sat with a worried look on her face while Woohyun stood behind her with a slight smirk on his face. Daehyun may have been a bit confused, but his thoughts instantly brought forth a certain person that didn’t seem to be anywhere within his view.

“Where’s.. Young Jae..?” (DH) Their expressions seemed to change at that moment as they all looked at one another. Although it took him a brief minute or so to think, he already knew the answer to his own question. The silence didn’t seem to end until Jongup finally turned to him with a sad look on his face.

“Young Jae’s missing..” (JU)

“Then.. we have to.. get him back.” (DH) Just as he began pushing himself up, Daehyun felt his head begin to throb a bit more. He groaned a little, but he ignored the pain as best as he could before finally sitting up. He sat there for a moment, using his hands in an attempt to dull the pain. It took another second or so before realizing that Seohyun was talking. “I-I’m fine.. We have to get Young Jae.” (DH)

“But you’re hurt!” (SH) Despite Seohyun’s protests, Daehyun had gotten to his feet successfully. He stood there for a moment before realizing that something was wrong. He blinked a few times, trying to clear the world around him. When that didn’t work, it took him another moment to realize that there was a sudden empty feeling on his face. Just as he turned to question the other three, Woohyun already held out the object that Daehyun was looking for.

“Here. Jongup found it.” (WH) With a grin, Daehyun took the pair of glasses into his hands before checking them. Once he was certain that his glasses were unscathed and clean, Daehyun put them back on before looking around. The world around him was clear once more, giving Daehyun the determination he needed to continue forward with his objective.

“Okay! Let’s go save Young Jae!” (DH) Seohyun wasn’t necessarily happy with Daehyun’s decision. Daehyun needed to go to the hospital to make sure that he was okay. They could have just let the adults handle it! But, Daehyun is her friend and even if she didn’t necessarily approve of Daehyun’s decision, she was still going to support Daehyun no matter what.

“Okay.. I’ll help.” (SH)

“Me too!” (JU) Daehyun grinned happily towards the two before looking at Woohyun. Seohyun and Jongup mimicked Daehyun’s actions, forcing all of the attention on Woohyun. Woohyun looked around at everyone in slight confusion before he grinned happily as well.

“I’m in too!” (WH) By now, everyone had gotten to their feet. Daehyun held his grin as he held his hand out at waist level with his palm facing the ground. In that instant, the other three put one of their hands on top of one another as they all giggled a little.

“Let’s do really well to save Young Jae!” (DH) Their hands moved a little downwards before they threw their hands into the air with a big cheer. With their determination now at a high level, the group finally began making their way to their new destination. Daehyun was convinced that they would save Young Jae and this time, he intended to stop Sungjong once and for all. He wanted Young Jae to finally have that happily ever after like in the fairy tales that he usually likes to read about.

Hearing all the commotion just a few doors down, Himchan and Sunny peeked their heads outside the doorway as they looked on with curiosity. They could see Daehyun and everyone else walking in their direction, but they didn’t look like they were ready to play. The duo exchanged glances with one another before Sunny grinned with interest. “Come on! Let’s follow them!” (SU)

“What?! But we’re playing house!” (HC)

“That doesn’t matter! They might need our help, so let’s go!” (SU) Sunny was quick to push Himchan out of the room before stepping out. Despite the amount of protests that Himchan had given off, Sunny just continued pushing Himchan forward. Sunny was determined to help out their friends no matter what. Even if they were playing the greatest game ever, friendships always came first! “Stop complaining, Channie! We can keep playing house when we get back from helping them!” (SU)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything was going exactly how he had wanted it to go. Well, it was almost how he wanted it. If it had been his choice, Young Jae would have joined him a long time ago. Sadly, Sungjong had to use force to get what he wanted which just so happened to work rather well. With Young Jae within his grasp, all that needed to be done now was to get Young Jae to agree to becoming his one and only pet. The second that was accomplish, then Sungjong could finally be happy with everything.

After having such a good nap, Sungjong stretched his arms out as he made his way out of the back room. Stepping out into the main room, Sungjong looked around a bit before his eyes landed on a relatively happy looking Young Jae. The boy was rocking left and right a little bit as he spoke to Yongguk with a smile on his face. Whatever it was that Yongguk was doing, Sungjong was glad that he was doing it. Young Jae was calm after all, so it seemed like it would make things a lot easier.

Walking up to the duo, Sungjong smiled as he plopped down between the two. In that instant, if it hadn’t already, the air became awkward between the three. Young Jae felt uncomfortable as he shifted in his seat. As he looked away, he could almost feel Sungjong’s eyes on him. He shifted yet again, placing his free hand between his thighs. “Young Jae~ Have you thought about joining us? It’ll be a lot of fun for everyone if you do.” (SJ)

Young Jae kept his gaze off to the side as he tried to think. He already had his answer, but Young Jae also didn’t want to get hurt again. His thoughts were broken as he felt Sungjong’s hand on his thigh, causing him to freeze up from the unfamiliar touch. If it wasn’t for a guiding hand, Young Jae most likely wouldn’t have been able to look at whomever was currently touching him. “Well? Will you join us? I REALLY want you to be mine!” (SJ)

“I-I... I don’t wanna.. but, um.. I don’t mind being friends!” (YJ) They stared at one another before Sungjong’s brows furrowed. Pulling his hands away, Sungjong got to his feet before making his way over to Yuri and Zelo. Why was it so difficult to change Young Jae’s mind?! Maybe if he just remained as patient as possible, then he could get Young Jae to finally join them.

With Sungjong finally away from him, Young Jae uncomfortably shifted in his seat again as he felt his bladder acting up once more. He looked over at Yongguk, whom was currently staring at the three in the middle. Biting his bottom lip, Young Jae moved a little closer to Yongguk before reaching out and tugging on Yongguk’s sleeve, causing him to look at Young Jae. “I-I really have to go..!” (YJ)

“Huh..?” (BY) Yongguk looked at Young Jae for a moment before nodding. He had completely forgotten that Young Jae needed to use the bathroom, but he was also glad that Young Jae had reminded him. Looking over at the three in the middle, Yongguk scratched his head a bit as he got to his feet. Would Sungjong let Young Jae go to the bathroom? It didn’t seem likely since Sungjong was now a little angry, but he turned to look at Young Jae before giving a slight nod. “I’m going to go ask him. Wait, okay?” (BY)

“M-Mhm..” (YJ) Young Jae watched as Yongguk made his way over to the trio. He bit his bottom lip as he kept shifting in his seat, hope rising as he waited patiently for Yongguk to talk to Sungjong. His nervousness raised a little as he saw the two looking his way, but he tried his best to wait for their answer. Soon enough, Sungjong had gotten up from his seat as he began making his way over to him. Young Jae really hoped that Sungjong was going to let him go to the bathroom without any problem. Sungjong stopped a small distance away before folding his arms and tilting his head to the left a little.

“So.. You have to pee?” (SJ) Young Jae hesitated for a moment before nodding. He felt uncertain about all of this, but he kept his hopes up. Sungjong merely smirked though as he took a step forward, making Young Jae feel uneasy once more. “You have two choices. Either.. you become my pet or... you pee yourself!” (SJ)

A small whimper escaped his lips as Young Jae shifted in his seat once more. What was he supposed to do? He was a person, not an animal! He couldn’t become someone’s pet. That was just.. really weird, but if he didn’t become Sungjong’s pet, then he would be forced to pee himself and that was something he didn’t want either. Young Jae crossed his legs as he tried really hard to think. What was he supposed to do? How was he supposed to answer? It was just unfair!

“SUNGJONG!” (DH) Everyone jumped in their spots as the door swung open and crashed into the wall. Everyone quickly turned to look at the door, seeing an angry Daehyun step into the room before everyone else filed in after him. Coming to a stop a few feet from the doorway, Daehyun placed his hands on his hips like he had done so the first time Young Jae saw him. “Give Young Jae back!” (DH)

Everyone stared for a moment before Sungjong smirked a bit. He walked up to the middle of the room, where Yuri, Zelo, and Yongguk were, before standing in front of his friends with his arms crossed. From the back room, Sungyeol stepped into the main room to see what all the commotion was. “Give him back? Why should I? He’s mine now.” (SJ)

“Give Young Jae back.” (DH) Sungjong chuckled a bit as they stared at each other. Sungjong wasn’t going to give Young Jae up that easily, especially with how difficult it had been just to get him. If Daehyun wanted to get Young Jae back, then he was going to have to put up a really good fight to get him back.

“Yongguk. Sungyeol.” (SJ) It took a second or so, but Yongguk and Sungyeol were quickly by Sungjong’s sides. Once Sungjong nodded his head, Yongguk and Sungyeol made the first move. Luckily, Woohyun and Sunny were quick to counter their movements. Woohyun kept Yongguk at a standstill as they stared at one another, both prepared to fight if the other tried to move first. As for Sunny, she had already jumped Sungyeol and was once again pulling his hair with her legs wrapped around Sungyeol’s waist. “SUNGYEOL! HURRY UP AND BEAT HER!” (SJ)

"WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO HIT GIRLS THOUGH!" (S) While Sungjong was busy yelling at Sungyeol, Daehyun took the opportunity to tackle Sungjong to the ground. Yuri had gotten up to help Sungjong, but she quickly took a step back as a small foam ball flew past her. She furrowed her eyebrows as she looked up, seeing Seohyun pulling her slingshot back once more with another foam ball was ready to be shot. Taking her own slingshot and ammo out from her pocket, Yuri and Seohyun began exchanging shots between one another.

With everyone seemingly distracted, Jongup took hold of Himchan’s hand before he began pulling him off to the side. Jongup’s eyes were filled with hope as they ran around the battlefield, practically taking the long way around to Young Jae. A smile came onto his face as he saw Young Jae. They were so very close and yet, one more kid got in their way. He was a little smaller than him, but he still looked very angry. “You won’t get Young Jae!” (Z)

“Go away, Zelo! No one likes you!” (JU)

“That’s not true! You’re just a big meany head!” (Z)

“Jongup, I’ll handle Zelo. Y-” (HC) Jongup shook his head furiously as he looked up at Himchan. Himchan blinked a few times, fairly confused as to why Jongup seemed to be angry. It didn’t seem like he should have a reason to be angry, but Himchan just had to ask. “What is it?” (HC)

“I wanna fight Zelo! He took my gummy worms and I wanna get him back!” (JU)

“I DID NOT! YOU’RE A BIG FAT LIAR!” (Z) Zelo stomped the ground a few times as frustration built up within him. Walking up to Jongup, Zelo took hold of Jongup’s arm before biting hard on it. Jongup cried out, pulling his arm away as he took Zelo’s arm and did exactly what Zelo had done. Zelo also cried out as he pulled his arm away. The two stared angrily at one another before they both began crying, their tears practically waterfalls as they blindly began pushing one another.

Although a bit confused, Himchan took this opportunity to run towards Young Jae. Young Jae instantly brightened up as he moved his handcuffed hand. Himchan knelt down, his eyebrows furrowing a bit as he stared at the toy handcuffs. Did Young Jae think that these were real? Well, that didn’t matter at the moment. They didn’t have time to be questioning Young Jae’s way of thinking. Reaching forward, Himchan quickly undid the handcuffs before both of them go to their feet and began running.

Sadly, they didn’t really get all that far before Sungjong got in between them. He had various red marks on his face, but he was still very angry and determined not to let Young Jae get away. Sungjong stared for a moment before he ran forward, his fist raised before he swung. Himchan quickly pushed Young Jae to the side as he soon took the hit that was meant for the younger boy. Anger quickly swelled within Himchan as he began to fight Sungjong, not even giving him the time of day to catch his breath.

While everyone was occupied, Daehyun quickly snuck in from behind as he took a hold of Young Jae’s hand and began running. Young Jae’s eyes widened with surprise at first, but upon realizing that he was with Daehyun, he made sure to keep up with him. In fact, he couldn’t help but smile now that he knew that he was finally safe.

The second Young Jae was out of the room, Yongguk loosened his stance as he looked at Woohyun. Woohyun assumed that it was some sort of trap, but Yongguk merely stretched as he looked back at Woohyun. Since Young Jae was safely out of here now, there was no point to fighting Woohyun anymore. “Can you make sure Young Jae’s okay for me?” (BY)

Woohyun was a bit confused, but he nodded. Yongguk smiled a bit before turning and looking over at Zelo and Jongup. A small sigh escaped his lips as he began to make his way over to the two. It wasn’t exactly necessary for them to be fighting. In fact, they should have just stood off to the side instead of hurting themselves. It was going to be a bit difficult to get Zelo to stop crying, but luckily he knew just the trick.

“Himchan! Come on!” (SU) Sunny quickly grabbed Himchan’s wrist as she began pulling him away from his fight with Sungjong. Seohyun was quick to follow suit, carrying a still crying Jongup as she rubbed his back. Once the four of them were gone, Woohyun was the last one to leave. After all, he needed to make sure that everyone was safe.

With the intruders no longer in the room, the only sounds there were the sounds of whining, crying, and heavy breathing. Sungjong’s eyebrows furrowed as he grit his teeth and clenched his fists. He was annoyed that Young Jae had managed to escape his grasp just as he had gotten a hold of him. It was annoying that Daehyun had gotten in his way yet again, but this time, his anger slowly turned toward his friends.

Looking over at them, he stared angrily as Yongguk tried to console Zelo. What were they doing?! Why weren’t they chasing after Young Jae?! They weren’t supposed to be standing around like this! Maybe... they had planned all of this. They didn’t want him to have Young Jae and so, they purposely let him get away! “It’s all your fault!” (SJ)

“What..?” (S) The four of them turned to look at Sungjong, whom was staring angrily at them. Yuri had a worried look on her face as she took a step forward. She didn’t understand what Sungjong was doing, but she knew that this wasn’t going to turn out well. “What do you mean it’s our fault?!” (S)

“If you guys actually did what you were told, we would still have Young Jae! You’re all worthless!” (SJ) Minus Zelo’s crying, there was a tense silence in the room as Sungjong continued to stare angrily at them. Yongguk, however, merely scoffed as he picked Zelo up and began walking towards the door. Sungjong’s eyes widened as he looked at Yongguk, stomping his foot on the ground. “WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!” (SJ)

Yongguk came to a stop at the door as he thought for a moment. His thoughts went back to his conversation with Young Jae as a brief smirk graced his lips. He turned to look at Sungjong as he held that smirk. “Leaving you. You’re no fun anymore.” (BY)

With a salute, Yongguk turned back around as he left the room with Zelo. Sungjong couldn’t help but stare in disbelief before his eyes quickly spotted Sungyeol, whom was also heading towards the door. “Where are you going?!” (SJ)

“.. I’m.. I’m leaving too. Yongguk’s right.. You’re no fun anymore.” (S) Without waiting for a response, Sungyeol left the room as well. Sungjong couldn’t believe that this was happening. His so called friends had decided to betray him and join their enemies’ side?! Fine! He didn’t need friends like them! He didn’t need friends at all! They could all die for all he cared! Sungjong began walking towards the back room before stopping the second he felt a tug on his sleeve. He turned around and scowled as he stared at a worried Yuri.

“Sungjong.. I-It’s okay..” (Y)

“GO AWAY!” (SJ) Sungjong raised his hand before smacking Yuri with the back of his hand as hard as he could. Yuri fell to the side, landing roughly on the ground as tears welled up inside of her. Sungjong felt a brief sense of regret before turning and walking back towards the back room. Slowly, Yuri pushed herself to a sitting position as she held her cheek, tears slowly sliding away from her grasp.

“S-Sungjong... Sungjong..! W-Why.. Why?!” (Y) Yuri sat up as she began rubbing her eyes, tears falling regardless of what she did. She couldn’t understand why her best friend would hit her like that. She couldn’t understand why he had changed so much. Yuri just.. wanted her best friend to come back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daehyun quietly hummed to himself as he waited patiently for Young Jae to finish his business. He was currently sitting on the floor behind Young Jae, staring up at Young Jae’s back. Daehyun didn’t want to leave Young Jae alone, so he felt like it would be best to wait in the same room while Young Jae did his business. Young Jae had been opposed to it, but somehow, Daehyun had been able to convince him otherwise.

Still, even if Young Jae didn’t need to use the bathroom, Daehyun was glad that Young Jae was safe and sound. Daehyun knew how Young Jae would be and if they were apart for too long, then Young Jae might be too afraid to be without him. Though.. Daehyun also would have been worried if Young Jae wasn’t with him. He didn’t understand these feelings, but he really liked these feelings he had for Young Jae.

He looked up the second he heard the toilet flush. Daehyun looked off to the right, watching as Young Jae was now washing his hands. Getting up from his seat, Daehyun dusted himself off as he watched Young Jae finish up and dry his hands. Daehyun walked up to the door first, peeking his head out carefully before stepping out. Young Jae followed suit, a small smile on his face as he quickly hugged Daehyun from behind. Daehyun yelped a little bit, but he soon turned a bit red as he looked down at the arms around his arms. “Thank you, Daehyun.. You saved me!” (YJ)

“I-I’ll do anything for you..!” (DH) Daehyun turned around in Young Jae’s hold before wrapping his arms around Young Jae’s waist tightly. The two smiled as they held one another, Young Jae gently resting his head on Daehyun’s shoulder as he closed his eyes. He felt so.. warm, so safe. Young Jae never wanted to let Daehyun away.

Young Jae giggled a little as he nuzzled his face into Daehyun’s neck. Daehyun turned red as he looked upwards, trying his best to ignore the feelings that seemed to be trying to make itself evident. Daehyun didn’t want to let Young Jae go, but the sound of footsteps quickly caused the both of them to pull away from each other.

The two turned to look at the approaching group, their smiles quickly meeting one another. The sound of Jongup crying though quickly caught Daehyun’s attention as Seohyun set Jongup gently down onto his feet. Daehyun crouched down, a small chuckle escaping his lips as he reached up and ruffled Jongup’s hair. “It’s okay, Jongup! You did really good!” (DH)

“B-B-Big brother Daehyun..!” (JU) Jongup moved forward as he wrapped his arms around the back of Daehyun’s neck. He quickly fell to his knees as he buried his face into Daehyun’s shoulder. Daehyun chuckled once more was he rubbed Jongup’s back, trying his best to console the poor boy. Young Jae crouched down as well, reaching up as he rubbed Jongup’s back along with Daehyun.

Woohyun smiled a bit as he stood in the back, his arms folded as he waited patiently. Sunny couldn’t help but smile happily as she watched Daehyun and Young Jae trying hard to console Jongup. As for Seohyun, well she was checking on Himchan. Himchan was actually worried about his image, so she had to make sure that Himchan didn’t end up having any bruises or various other injuries that would ruin his face.

It didn’t take long before Daehyun and Young Jae made eye contact with one another. In that instant, they shared a smile with one another. It may have been something they could do everyday, but that smile alone just seemed to say so much between them. Maybe... it displayed a sort of peace that would finally happen for them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[[ My Own Thoughts:

Okay..
This had to be early because I’ll be out all day/night today. @_@
Also.. I apologize if this chapter felt.. well, rushed.
I am no good with typing out fight scenes, so it turned out rather poorly in my opinion >.<..
Buuut at least the next few chapters will be nice and fluffy. x3
So I hope that makes up for this chapter ;;..

Comments are loved >3<...
I like to see how I’m doing with these chapters. x3
If you have any questions about the fanfic, please feel free to ask. x3
I will try my best to answer them >3< ]]