Fiftythree

Yes, I'm Hero
Index:
 
(DO) – Kyungsoo speaking
(YJ) – Young Jae speaking
(BH) – Baehyun speaking
(BY) – Yongguk speaking
 
(WH) – Woohyun speaking
(DH) – Daehyun speaking
(SH) – Seohyun speaking
 
(JU) – Jongup speaking
(Z) – Zelo speaking
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
It was early morning and at the moment, Young Jae had to head to a restaurant to meet with Baekhyun about Kyungsoo. Jongup was with him in hopes that he could somehow persuade Baekhyun to visit Kyungsoo, but Young Jae didn’t see it going as smoothly as he would like. Even with Jongup’s help though, Young Jae just couldn’t see Baekhyun willingly going to go speak to the man who murdered his cousin. Well, the least he could do was hope.
 
While Young Jae and Jongup sat in the backseat, Yongguk sat in the driver’s seat. He eyed the two through his rear view mirror every now and then, wondering if what he wanted to ask would be the right time to do so. Jongup may know about the situation at hand, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he did end up asking Young Jae right then and there. Taking in a small breath, Yongguk spoke calmly. “Young Jae… I need to ask for a favor.” (BY)
 
Young Jae turned his gaze away from the window as he looked at Yongguk’s eyes through the rear view mirror. Adjusting his position a bit, Young Jae cleared his throat before speaking. “What’s the favor?” (YJ)
 
“I need Zelo to stay at your house for a while.” (BY) Young Jae ran a few possibilities through his head, but he couldn’t exactly figure out why Yongguk asked for a favor like that. It wouldn’t be much of a problem though, especially since Yongguk has been working for them for a while.
 
“Why?” (YJ) Yongguk briefly glanced over at Jongup before looking back at Young Jae.
 
“Sungjong has been threatening to do… indecent things to him and I need to make sure he stays safe while I sort through some things.” (BY) Young Jae shifted his position again as he quietly hummed to himself. He had an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach, but for the time being, there wouldn’t be any problems with accepting Yongguk's request. What he needed to find out, however, is why Sungjong was doing what he was doing.
 
“Okay, but I need to know everything later.” (YJ) Yongguk merely hummed in response as he slowed the car to a stop. Young Jae looked outside, realizing that they had arrived at their destination. It was a little sooner than he had hoped, but it was going to have to be done sooner or later. Sadly, he still didn’t know how he was going to go about doing it. “Okay… uh… Jongup, you ready?” (YJ)
 
“Mhm.” (JU) With a nod, Young Jae turned back towards his door before taking in a deep breath. Taking hold of the door handle, Young Jae pushed open the car door and stepped outside. Young Jae looked up at the restaurant as he attempted to calm himself down. Once the car door was closed, Young Jae begun walking with Jongup following close by.
 
“You think he’ll agree?” (YJ)
 
“I don’t know.” (JU) As they approached the restaurant, Young Jae couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if Baekhyun didn’t agree to go talk to Kyungsoo. Would Kyungsoo refuse his attempt at settling things between them? He wouldn’t put it passed Kyungsoo, but at least he was trying something. Taking in a deep breath, Young Jae pulled the restaurant door open and let Jongup enter first before going into the building himself. “There he is.” (JU)
 
Jongup had pointed at Baekhyun for a brief moment before he began to lead the way. Young Jae took in yet another deep breath as he continued going over in his head what he wanted to say. It sounded like it would be simple, but Young Jae knew that it was never going to be as easy as it seemed.
 
Upon reaching the table, the three of them each exchanged greetings before Young Jae and Jongup sat across from Baekhyun. Young Jae almost felt like he was at an interrogation of some sort, though it seemed like he was the only one who was nervous at the table. “So, you want me to talk to Kyungsoo? I’ve thought about it and… I’ll do it, but I want you to do something for me.” (BH)
 
“Oh, uh… how’d you know?” (YJ) Baekhyun smiled a bit as he leaned back in his seat.
 
“Jongup told me a while ago. He said it’s important to you.” (BH) Young Jae looked at Jongup for a brief moment before looking back at Baekhyun. Well, it really did go a lot easier than he thought.
 
“Okay, what do you need me to do?” (YJ) Baekhyun picked up his cup and took a sip of his drink before setting it back down. He crossed his right leg over his left leg before sitting up.
 
“I need to bring back some things that Kyungsoo gave me, but I also need access to his room.” (BH) Young Jae nodded. He wasn’t sure why Baekhyun wanted access, but it could be to get some of his things back. Since they were on break from school, there shouldn’t have to be too much worry about having to find matching schedules. “Great. Then, lets eat.” (BH)
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“You should do it.” (WH)
 
“Maybe I shouldn’t…” (DH)
 
“Okay, then don’t do it.” (WH)
 
“But I want to do it.” (DH)
 
“Daehyun! Either do it or regret everything later!” (WH) Daehyun rubbed the back of his head as he leaned back in his seat and sighed. He knew that he had made up his mind more than once, but for whatever reason, he just couldn’t bring himself to keeping that decision firmly set in stone. He had his doubts, but Woohyun was right. It was better to at least test it out first and deciding then what he wanted to do.
 
“I guess I’ll at least give it a try.” (DH)
 
“Good. Man, you’ve changed too much. You used to know exactly what you wanted when we were kids, now you’re questioning everything. What happened?” (WH) Was that how he really was when he was a kid? It’s been so long that he couldn’t remember how his personality was.
 
“Don’t know, but hey, at least we’re still friends.” (DH)
 
“Friends? With you? You’re kidding, right?” (WH) Daehyun raised a single brow, to which Woohyun responded with a chuckle. He leaned back in his seat as he looked out the window. “Yeah… we’ve been friends all this time. How long has it been? Ten-ish years?” (WH)
 
“Ah… We’re getting old. Don’t say any big numbers.” (DH)
 
“Did I hear right? Age bothers you? Since when?” (WH)
 
“Since I realized we’re in our mid twenties and life is slipping by.” (DH) Woohyun chuckled a bit and shook his head. As they sat there, a thought crossed Daehyun's mind as he suddenly sat up. “Where’s Seohyun anyway? She should’ve been back by now.” (DH)
 
“Eh… You know how she is. Always thorough with her counting. Speaking of…” (WH)
 
“Sorry for the wait. Here are the drinks.” (SH) Woohyun and Daehyun looked up at Seohyun as she made her way over to the table. Setting the tray down, Seohyun let out a sigh as she carefully placed each person’s corresponding cup in front of them. Taking a seat, Seohyun set the tray on her lap as she moved her chair forward. “So, what were you going to tell us, Daehyun?” (SH)
 
“Me? Oh! Right. Since Young Jae did well on his exams, his mother is letting him bring anyone he wants on a trip. Uh… where was it…” (DH) Daehyun fumbled through his pockets before producing a crumpled pamphlet. Setting it down on the table, Daehyun attempted to smooth out the wrinkles before opening up the pamphlet and turning it towards them. “We’re going skiing… or snowboarding. Whatever you prefer, but I want to build snowmen.” (DH)
 
Seohyun and Woohyun leaned in close as they looked closely at the pamphlet. Daehyun leaned back in his seat, sitting quietly as he waited for his friends to finish looking over the pamphlet. While Woohyun’s expression didn’t change much at all, Seohyun’s eyes seemed to practically light up. “How much is this going to cost? This looks expensive.” (WH)
 
“Young Jae’s parents are paying for everything. You don’t have to worry about anything… except for souvenirs, I think.” (DH) Seohyun’s smile grew as she looked up from the pamphlet.
 
“Really?! When are we going?” (SH)
 
“In a week.” (DH)
 
Woohyun immediately sat up. “A week?! Isn’t that a little too soon?” (WH)
 
Daehyun rubbed the back of his head as he gave a slight shrug. Woohyun shook his head as he leaned back in his seat and sighed. “I guess it’s alright. I don’t have anything scheduled at that time. How long are we gonna stay there?” (WH)
 
He thought for a moment, but he didn’t know exactly how long. He did remember the estimation that Young Jae told him, however. “Uh… a week?” (DH)
 
Woohyun shook his head a bit. “You don’t know, do you.” (WH)
 
“Nope! But hey, it’s basically a free trip! It’s not a bad deal, right?” (DH)
 
Seohyun immediately chimed in before Woohyun had a chance to say anything. “Of course! I have to get time off… Oh! I have to go pack!” (SH)
 
Getting up from her seat, Seohyun picked up her drink as she quickly made her exit. Daehyun and Woohyun both stared at the entranceway that Seohyun had disappeared through before looking back at one another. “You think she realizes that we’re still guests in her house?” (WH)
 
“Mm… She’ll figure it out eventually. Let her have her fun.” (DH)
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Are you ready?” (YJ)
 
“No. Let’s just get it over with.” (BH) With a nod, the two made their way into the building. While Young Jae dealt with the officer behind the window, Baekhyun stood in the back with his arms folded. He looked around, taking in everything before a chill ran down his spine. He shivered, unintentionally causing him to rub his arms in an attempt to warm up.
 
“We’re good to go.” (YJ) Baekhyun looked up at Young Jae before nodding. As the two followed a guard to the meeting area, Baekhyun could feel his anger starting to build up. He may have loved Kyungsoo at one point, but he could never forgive him for murdering Taehyung, or anyone for that matter. Still, Jongup had explained to him that Young Jae was in trouble and needed help. What that trouble was, even Jongup didn’t know, but despite the fact that Young Jae is related to Kyungsoo, Young Jae is still innocent. Why should he have to pay for something his brother had done?
 
Entering the room, Baekhyun could feel his stomach acting up. He couldn’t tell if he wanted to throw up or if his stomach decided to be hungry, but either way, it was an uncomfortable feeling. They were seated at a table, where they now had to wait for Kyungsoo to show up. There was a horrible feeling that loomed over him, so he put his head on the table before putting his hands over his head. “Are you okay? Should we go?” (YJ)
 
“I can do this. Just… give me a minute.” (BH)
 
From a distance, the door opened and a familiar face stepped into the room. He held his breath, his eyes wide as he fought back a smile. Young Jae sat at the table, that much was true, but what he couldn’t believe was that Baekhyun was sitting there with him. Was this a dream? Could this be reality? Just seeing him like this was enough for him! The world could end at this very moment and he wouldn’t mind.
 
Clearing his throat, Kyungsoo quickly straightened out his clothes and began messing with his hair as he began walking over to the table. Did he look okay? Would that even matter to Baekhyun, now that he thought about it? He tried to keep a straight face as he quietly slid into the seat opposite of Baekhyun. Young Jae looked up and was about to say something, but Kyungsoo quickly put a finger up to his own lips.
 
A few minutes of silence passed. Baekhyun let out a small groan before finally sitting up. He had just placed his hands on the edge of the table before freezing, his eyes widening the second he made eye contact with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo seemed to be trying to hold back a laugh, which Baekhyun found both annoying and… odd. Kyungsoo rarely ever laughed, as in genuinely laughed, and to see him like this was very… unusual. However, instead of letting his curiosity get the better of him, Baekhyun molded it into anger as he leaned forward with his eyebrows furrowed. “What the hell! How long have you been there?” (BH)
 
“I just got here.” (DO) A lie, but Kyungsoo didn’t want Baekhyun getting any angrier than he already was. He knew how he was, but he also knew that Baekhyun was hardheaded. If he did or said the wrong things, he may not be able to spend as much time as he possibly could with him.
 
“Tch… You’re such a liar.” (BH) Baekhyun folded his arms as he looked off to the side. Kyungsoo fought off a smile as he looked at Young Jae. He seemed to be attempting to mind his own business, which for once, Kyungsoo appreciated. Okay, so Young Jae wasn’t THAT bad. “Hey. What do you want from me anyway?” (BH)
 
“Hm?” (DO) Kyungsoo looked back at Baekhyun, whom was now looking at him once more. He looked annoyed, but not enough to completely ignore him. “Ah… I just wanted to see you.” (DO)
 
“Bastard! You’re lucky I’m doing this for Jongup and Young Jae, or I wouldn’t even be here right now! Just wanted to see me? Tch… Such bull.” (BH) Kyungsoo frowned, though he couldn’t find the right words to convince Baekhyun otherwise. How could there ever be words that could mend a cut this deep? Regardless, he had already accepted the possibility that Baekhyun would remain mad at him forever. He needed to focus, seeing as how Young Jae managed to keep up his end of the bargain. Kyungsoo turned towards Young Jae.
 
“Alright. You brought Baekhyun here. What do you want?” (DO)
 
“Two things.” (YJ) Kyungsoo looked downwards, taking a moment to think, before looking back up at Young Jae.
 
“Depends.” (DO)
 
“We end this rivalry, or whatever it is, between us and I need you to get Sungjong off my back.” (YJ) Kyungsoo narrowed his eyelids as he folded his arms and leaned back in his seat. Young Jae kept up a front; Kyungsoo knew this. However, despite what he was asking, Kyungsoo knew that this had to be important for whatever reason. He sighed as he shook his head. Was this even a good idea? How did Young Jae even expect him to do the second part of his demands?
 
“I’ll accept the first request, but you’re on your own with Sungjong. He wants money? Pay him. I can’t do anything here.” (DO) Young Jae loosened up as he slouched slightly in his seat. He had hoped for a better response than that, but would paying him even be enough?
 
“How much do you owe him?” (YJ)
 
“I don’t owe him jack . He’s a money . Pay him once and he’ll want more. Tch. ing parasite doesn’t know his place.” (DO) Young Jae sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. What was he supposed to do now if that was the case? If Sungjong wouldn’t leave them alone, then maybe he could have the authorities solve the issue.
 
“Thanks, Kyungsoo.” (YJ) Well that felt weird. Young Jae couldn’t remember ever thanking Kyungsoo sincerely before. Of course, it was better this way as opposed to how they used to be. Now, if only they could’ve done this sooner. Maybe then, Taehyung would still be alive and they wouldn’t have Sungjong to deal with.
 
“So Baekhyun, I-“ (DO)
 
“Don’t talk to me. We’re done, right? Let’s go, Young Jae.” (BH) Baekhyun immediately got up from his seat before turning towards the door. He was about to head out, but something made him pause. He knew he was going to regret this, but he turned to look at Kyungsoo. There was sadness in his eyes, something he’d never thought possible with Kyungsoo. Why was he letting Kyungsoo draw him in like this? “What do you want? Just spit it out then.” (BH)
 
“I just wanted to… say I’m sorry. I’ve been doing some… reflection… and I know full well that my actions have no excuses.” (DO) Baekhyun waited, expecting more to be said, but Kyungsoo stood up from his seat before putting on that fake smile of his whenever he wanted to hide something. “So, I suppose that’s it.” (DO)
 
“Wait a minute! You can’t just-“ (BH)
 
“I’ll see you around.” (DO) With a single wave of his hand, Kyungsoo turned before heading out the way he came. Baekhyun scratched the side of his head out of frustration before turning and stomping away. Young Jae quickly got up from his seat and followed after Baekhyun, who had begun complaining about how infuriating Kyungsoo could be.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Do I really have to stay here? Can’t I just stay home?” (Z)
 
“No, you can’t go home. Young Jae’ll keep you safe.” (BY) Zelo pouted as he mumbled something under his breath. Yongguk shook his head, but he felt like this was the best thing to do, at least for the time being. At least when they go on that trip to wherever it is that they were going to, he could relax a little better without the possibility of Sungjong doing something weird to Zelo. “Besides, look on the bright side. At least Jongup’s there.” (BY)
 
“Jongup? W-… Why would I be excited about that! He’s just a… really good friend!” (Z) Zelo leaned back in his seat as he looked out the window. His ears were starting to warm up, but Zelo tried his best not to make it obvious that he was embarrassed for whatever possible reason there could be.
 
“Eh? So you can’t be excited about spending time with a really good friend?” (BY) Zelo could feel his embarrassment overflowing, but he chose not to say anything. He felt like he had misunderstood what Yongguk was initially trying to say and just gave him an idea of something different.
 
“Okay. Let’s go. You’ve stalled long enough.” (BY) They had been sitting in the car for the past ten minutes. People whom had been staring at them before had long since lost interest in what they were doing. Yongguk was losing patience, though he still had plenty to use up. “Are you going to get out on your own, or am I going to have to carry you myself?” (BY)
 
“I’ll go, I’ll go!” (Z) While Zelo was getting out of the car, Yongguk stayed a moment longer to make sure that Zelo actually got out before getting out of the car himself. After getting Zelo’s things from the back, the two carried it into the house, where Young Jae and Jongup had been waiting.
 
“You’re here! Wanna go play some video games?” (JU)
 
“Oh! What games do you have?” (Z) Immediately, the two ran off. Yongguk shook his head as he set the bags down. Two servants came from the side and picked up the bags before heading upstairs. Yongguk only assumed that Young Jae already told them ahead of time where the bags were supposed to go.
 
“So, how long do you need him to stay here?” (YJ)
 
“ ‘Til I get Sungjong to behave.” (BY)
 
“So, it has something to do with me, right? I found out from Kyungsoo.” (YJ) Yongguk looked at Young Jae, a bit surprised that Kyungsoo actually said anything. Young Jae, however, merely chuckled as he folded his arms. “It wasn’t hard. I just told him to get Sungjong off my back and he told me that Sungjong was after money.” (YJ)
 
Yongguk took a moment to let Young Jae’s words soak in. “How much did he owe him?” (BY)
 
“Nothing. He’s money hungry.” (YJ) Yongguk nodded, a little more annoyed now that he knew that Sungjong was still as greedy as ever. Still, he wasn’t going to let Sungjong get the upper hand in anything anymore. Sungjong may have the street smarts and the connection, but Young Jae had connections as well as the funds necessary to get things done.
 
All he needed now was a plan.