XII.

Pas de Chance

I've been bored out of my wits during the past few days, and I can't do anything because of my sprain. And also because Jongin keeps scolding me.

I learn something new about him everyday. He started opening up to me about his family, about how his mother died and about his good for nothing father.

Somehow, I now know why he's like this. And I'm glad he told me these stuff, because now I understand him better.

I don't even react when he suddenly gets outbursts.

"SOOJUNG! YOU LEFT THE FAUCET RUNNING AGAIN! I SWEAR TO GOD ONE MORE TIME I'M GONNA DROWN YOU!"

Just like now. I walked gently towards the kitchen and see him frowning. It kinda looked like there was smoke coming out of his ears.

"I'm sorry!~" I tried to act cute. He looked at me in disgust and proceeded to scold me.

It didn't matter anymore. I kind of like it now. I'd rather her scold me than not take care of me, which is really hard considering that I'm just recovering.

Also these past few days, Taemin has been visiting a lot, and we also learned a lot from each other. He told me how it was being the presiden't son, and the stuff that goes on inside the Blue House.

It was interesting, I feel like I'm the president myself because of the way Taemin told his stories. He's good with words.

Which didn't surprise me when he told me he writes.

"I write too! But only for fun."

"Really? I write for columns in newspapers, and sometimes for my father's works. I really love writing. What about you? What are you writing about?"

"I'm writing about a perfect story about a perfect human." Taemin chuckles at my reply.

"A perfect human doesn't exist." he said.

"But it does! The person I'm writing about, he is imperfectly perfect. Does that make sense?"

Taemin laughs and so did I, because I knew he understood me.

"How's your sprain?" he asked, checking on my ankle.

"It's fine. I can move my ankle now, and I can walk normally now without the help of crutches. I still need to take a few painkillers but all in all, I could say I'm fully well now."

"That's good then, because I wanna take you out on a date."

I paused and looked at him. He wants to what?

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?" Taemin asked, his brows furrowed. "I like you!"

"What?" I asked, flabbergasted. Is he really this direct when talking? Does it run from the blood?

"What? What's there to not like about you? You're beautiful, you're silly and you're cute!"

A cough interrupts our talk and I glanced at the door to see Jongin with a plastic bag full of vegetables and meat.

"Supper's here!" I hollered and ran to him, helping him with the bags.

"Are you eating over?" I asked Taemin, hoping he'd say no.

"Well, if you want me to." he replied. Goddammit.

In the end, he ate supper with us, with him making cheesy comments about me. It was enough to drive me insane.

"You're so disgusting, Taemin. At least do that when I'm not around." Jongin said, glaring at Taemin.

"Are you jealous I'm hitting on your girlfriend?"

"She's not my girlfriend!"

"He's not my boyfriend!"

We said in unison. I looked at him and he looked at me. 

"Well, okay then." Taemin said as he continues eating, with a sly smirk still on his face.

"You're not gonna let this go, are you?" Jongin said. Taemin looked at him and shook his head.

And that is how I was forced to go on a date with Taemin today. I checked myself in the mirror one last time, making sure I look presentable.

"No matter how many times you look there, it's not gonna change the fact that you're still ugly." Jongin says as he passes by my room.

"Shut up, ballerina." Just a few days ago, I found childhood pictures on Jongin's apartment as we were tidying the place up. It was him in a black leotard, posing so gracefully.

He comes back to my room and hastily walks up to me, flicking my forehead.

"Yah!" I exclaimed as I checked myself again on the mirror. My forehead is now red, thanks a lot you menopausal 21 year old.

"Do not mention about that again." he said and leaves almost immediately.

I glared at his retreating back. What's there to hide from me? He knows I'll accept all of him, whether he's a ballerina or a person who loves sewing or watching kdramas.

As I was preparing to leave, I knocked on Jongin's apartment door to say goodbye. He opens it, and I could see he looked pissed. Or is that his default face I don't really know.

"I'm going now. Please guard my house while I'm gone. Thanks!" I waved and walked away.

"Wait!" he said, stopping me from my tracks. I turned back and he throws something towards my direction. I caught it before it hit the ground.

"My number's in there. If you need a ride back home or if you're lost or whatever! Just...... call me." he said and shuts the door on my face.

I stared at the pink phone on my hands, then back at his door. When did he bought me a phone? Suddenly, I felt embarassed, I never even asked him to buy me one, but he did. He's so thoughtful.

"Don't worry! Taemin will drive me back later!" I screamed so he hears.

I smiled as I headed downstairs, putting my phone on my small tote bag. I forgot I left my old phone at San Diego, because I didn't want anyone contacting me while I'm in Korea.

Such memories bring me great sadness. I wonder how they are back there...... I shook the thoughts out of my head and headed outside, to see a familiar car waiting for me.

Taemin waved at me from inside the car and I ran towards it and went inside. I greeted the driver a good morning and turned to him.

"So, where are we going?" I asked excitedly. I've never really explored Korea that much, and the last time I tried, we got stuck in the mountains and got me injured.

"It's a secret." he says and lets the man in front drive.

Taemin told me a lot of stuff while we were in the car, but I can't seem to focus for some reason. I keep looking inside my tote, and I fidget when I don't receive a text.

The way there was too long, so Taemin ended up sleeping, and I remained awake because I feel so uncomfortable for some reason.

"Is he really not gonna tell me to take care? Or to be safe? I thought he cares for me?" I said to myself as I checked my phone for the nth time.

I ended up falling asleep and after a while, I feel Taemin shaking me awake.

"We're here." he said. I rubbed my eyes and adjusted my blurry vision. It's getting worse and worse everyday, everytime I wake up I have to wait for 30 saceonds before my vision clears up again.

My jaw dropped as I saw where he took me. "A- are you sure you wanna go here? Because..... they might recognize yo--"

I turned around and almost screamed. I was beside a spawn of satan! Taemin had a black hood on, with black shades and black mask.

"This is enough of a disguise right?" 

"It's more than enough! It's like 90 degrees outside and you're wearing that hoodie!"I said as I pull it out of him. As I did, a part of his shirt got caught and I ended up taking off his top as well. 

I turned around in embarassment and heard him chuckling.

"Let's go." he said and pulls me before I could react.

We had fun the whole day, riding all the rides. One day is definitely not enough to ride everything. I smiled as I remembered when me and my family were in Disneyland. 

These were the times when I wished they were here with me and experiencing all these stuff. But I chose this. I chose to leave all by myself, and not trouble them anymore because of my illness.

"Krystal?" I heard Taemin and turned to him. He had his hand outstretched towards me. "Let's go?"

I smiled and took it, and we ran towards the next ride, laughing like children.

Now, I'm not saying I didn't enjoyed. Heck, I'd do all this all over again if I have to. But all throughout the day, I was bothered. I keep checking my phone, and I keep waiting for a text.

For some reason, I want him to call me, and ask me if I want him to pick me up, because I'd have a reason to go home with him instead of Taemin. I noticed that we were attracting a lot of people, not just because of my hair, but also because they keep saying the guy with me has a striking resemblance to the president's son.

I didn't want to trouble Taemin even more, and I remembered the last time I was with him, and I almost got blind from all the flashing lights.

He didn't call. Not even a text. As I passed by his apartment that night, it seemed quiet. Like he wasn't even there.

I tried going inside, but I really didn't know what his passcode is, so I gave up in the end and entered my apartment without a word.

"Where were you yesterday?" I asked as Jongin prepared breakfast for me. It has been a habit of his, making food for me and accompanying me in my apartment. The blisters in his feet were still visible, but Jongin always says he's fine, although I could see him flinching in pain from time to time.

"Why are you asking?"

"You offered to pick me up!"

"You said Taemin's gonna drop you off. And you never called me."

I pouted. He's so annoying!!!! I don't even know why I'm annoyed, but he should know that I really want him to pick me up when I said the opposite.

"But where were you? I heard your apartment door opening during the wee hours of the morning."

"I was with a friend." I blinked. He has friends?

"I didn't know you knew how to make friends."

"Yah!" he screamed. I shutted up. There was an awkward silence lingering in the air. "So..... how did your date go?" he asked after a while.

I shrugged my shoulders. "It was fun, but it would've been better if my family was there with me......"

"Can I ask why you left your family in San Diego?"

I looked at him and stopped chewing my food. Was I ready to tell him this?


a/n: whaddups! I feel like I'm already making the story interesting, and I'm thinking of a lot of scenarios and surprises in store, so I hope y'all are still reading this! :)