XXVII.

Pas de Chance

I headed straight home, only to find the front door free of guards. When I arrived at the living room, no guards were in sight too. It was a mixture of worry and joy, joy because I don't need stupid bodyguards following me inside the house.

"Ah, you're here." I heard a voice behind me and turned to see my father smiling at me warmly, a glass of scotch in one hand.

"What did you do to Jongin!" I cried out, and his warm smile slowly dissipated.

"Where he belongs."

"What do you mean, abeoji? You can't just do this to him! Not now when---!" I stopped from saying more. If he finds out about what happened today, it would mean a disaster.

"I can't just let him ruin your face! Not when you're about to campaign!"

"Abeoji, the scars and bruises are my face are nothing compared to the torments you left on Jongin. Please, stop this."

"I will not stop just because you told me to!" he screamed at me. "That guy is a disgrace to this family, and he shall be taught a lesson he shall never forget."

"What?"

"He will set off to marry Mr. Choi's daughter, whether he likes it or not."

My eyes grew wide. I was supposed to be happy, because finally I can have Soojung all to myself, but the guilt was building up right in my veins, and I remember how she used to look at Jongin...... That was a look she never gave to anyone except him.

"But he has a boyfriend! He has Kyungsoo!" I've known earlier that Kyungsoo was just a decoy, a trap into thinking Jongin was gay, so my father wouldn't let him marry. And I knew he liked someone else, but I didn't think it would be Soojung.

My father looked at me incredulously. "Do you actually think I believe what he's saying? I know Jongin too well, and I know that he'll do whatever it takes to not be forced into an arranged marriage. I was waiting for him to do something big, and now that he's done it, he deserves to be punished."

"Do you think he'll agree just because you scared him? He wouldn't do it."

"That is why you're going to help me, Taemin." he heads toward his study table and pulls out a piece of paper stuck between one of the books on top of it. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was a picture..... of Soojung.

My face morphed into that of shock, but I quickly masked it with indifference. I guess my father noticed my expressions because he emits a chuckle and slowly approaches me.

"You know this girl, don't you? You know what I can do to her when you disobey me."

My hands formed into fists, and I resisted from punching my own dad. He pats my shoulder and whispers something before leaving, whistling a happy tune.

I hung my head dejectedly, because yes, I love Jongin, and I want him to be happy, but I can't risk Soojung's life, and maybe even his.

I stood quietly outside Jongin's room, refusing to knock because of all the thoughts clouding my mind. My father's words from earlier echoed in my mind.

"I trust that you'll relay the message to Jongin. If you don't want that girl getting any more injured than she already is."

Can I really be able to do this? Can I be able to lie for their sake?

I slowly turned the knob, skipping on knocking, and opened the door. The sight before my eyes almost made me wanna punch my father again.

Sheets and pillows were all over the floor. There were also a lot of broken glass, and even the sliding door to the balcony was cracked, like someone punched it. There was blood everywhere, and Jongin.......

Jongin was sitting in the corner in a fetal position, and he was staring into space, blood all over his face, his lip busted, and his knuckles were black and blue, with traces of broken glass and dried up blood. He must've been doing this for hours now, because his lips were turning pale bags were starting to appear under his eyes.

"Jongin!" I rushed to him in worry, kneeling beside him but not touching him, afraid that I might hurt him more.

At the sound of my voice, he snaps out of his daze and his eyes focused on mine. His solemn expression changed to that of relief.

"Taemin, Taemin get me out of here I have to see Soojung, I have to know what's wrong with Soojung tell me what's wrong with Soo--" he said in panic, grabbing me by my arms and face.

"Calm down, Jongin we have to get you treated before you die from loss of blood and--"

"JUST ING TELL ME WHERE THE IS JUNG SOOJUNG PLEASE!" he screams at me as he grabs my collar, his eyes in fury. For a few seconds I grew scared of him, but after seeing him collapse a bit, I grew worried and held him carefully.

"Just get your woounds treated first will you."

"No, no I don't need treatment, I need Soojung, I need to know if she's okay, why won't you tell me what's wrong with her, please tell me where she is just---"

He starts sobbing as he grabs onto me for support, and I feel bad, really bad that I have to do this, but there's no other way to protect Soojung.

I called medical assitance when Jongin finally calmed down and asked the maids to transfer Jongin to a different room and to clean his actual room. There were a lot of blood and bad air in it that I didn't wanna enter it anymore.

While the nurses treated Jongin, I called Soojung. It didn't take two rings before she answered the call.

"What's wrong? Is he okay?"

"Soojung...... Jongin is......." I hesitated before speaking. "He's being imprisoned here in the Blue House. My father isn't allowing him to come out, or even come back from that apartment. I still don't know when he will be able to go and see you, but I didn't tell him about your condition, so don't worry."

"Will I ever get to see him again?" she asked. It seriously broke my heart.

"I don't know......" I revealed honestly. Before I can say anything more, she ended the call, leaving me in wonder. Is she alright? Is she taking this hardly? I hope not, it might worsen her condition.

Jongin was in a coma for a day and a half, and I didn't get the chance to visit him in his room often as my dad let me continue on with my presidential promotions.

When I saw him awake though, I was both relieved he's fine and afraid because I know what he's gonna ask me first thing.

"Where's Soojung?" he asked as soon as I entered his room. He looks thinner than before, but nevertheless he looks stronger than when I last saw him.

He was staring so hard into my eyes that I had to turn away. It's too hard for me to lie, let alone to my own brother. He seems to sense something is wrong because he starts sitting up.

"What? What happened?"

I continued the silent treatment.

"Taemin, tell me."

Silence.

"ING TELL ME!"

"SHE DOESN'T WANT YOU ANYMORE! SHE LEFT! SHE HATES YOU, SHE SAID YOU'RE A GUY WITHOUT DREAMS AND YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GIVE HER THE FUTURE SHE DESERVES!"

I didn't mean for that to happen, but I couldn't take it back. I also couldn't take back the crestfallen expression that appeared on Jongin's face.

"You're lying. She wouldn't leave me. She loves me. You're just saying that because you want her too!" 

Did he see though my lies? Was I not convincing enough? Before I could answer my own questions, Jongin starts standing up, pulling the dextrose off his skin. He pushes me away from the door, but even before he can be able to go out, a couple of guards blocked his way.

"GET OUT OF MY ING WAY! I HAVE TO SEE SOOJUNG!" he continues screaming and pushing them away, but they wouldn't budge.

Fed up, I turned to them and nodded.

"Let him go. I'll accompany him. I'll make sure to bring him back."

"But, Mr. Taemin, your father instructed--"

"I know what he said!" I said sternly. "I'll bring him back as soon as possible."

Before they could react, I grabbed Jongin by the arm and dragged him away, towards my car parked outside. When we were both in the car, I noticed his shocked expression as he looks at me.

"You're gonna bring me back?! What, are you the president's henchman now?"

I sighed. "I'm sorry Jongin, but I have to do it."

"Why? Is there something I should know about? Have you formed an alliance with him while I was out cold?"

"Look, just shut up and it up. Just be glad I'm letting you see Soojung right now."

It was silent the whole way to Soojung's apartment. I could sense Jongin's irritation towards me, but I decided to ignore it.

When we arrived, Jongin frantically rang Soojung's doorbell for a few times, but no one came out. It went on for a few minutes that even I started worrying. What's Soojung doing? Where is she?

"I'll call her." Jongin said as he started typing the passcode on his own apartment's door. When it opened, there was a crunching sound on the floor. We both averted our eyes to a piece of paper that layed down on the floor right under the door.

Jongin grabbed it hastily and opened. Curious what it's about, I peered in and read with him.

Jongin,

       By the time you read this, I'll probably be gone. I won't tell you where, because I don't wanna see you ever again. I don't know how you managed to do it, but you've played with me pretty well. I trusted you so much, but I never realized how much you've made me look so stupid. I thought you were smart, that you were educated, but I was wrong. So guess what, everything I said? About how much I love you and want you in my life? Those were lies. Yes, I lied to you, like everybody else. I just returned what you gave to me. So goodbye, and you will never see me again. Thanks for nothing.

                                                                                                                      Soojung

I couldn't believe my eyes. Soojung left?! But why? She could be in danger, especially with her condition right now!

"This....... This is all a lie...... This is just some twisted, ed up lie. Tell me, what are you really doing to me?" Jongin said as he tears the paper into tiny pieces.

"Jongin, I----"

"WHY ARE YOU ALL LYING TO ME LIKE THIS! WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU PEOPLE!" he screamed as he punched me continuously.

I let him, until he's calmed down, until he's sobbing so hard on my feet. Because even I was confused. Soojung, where are you?


a/n: yay updated again! This is Taemin's POV before Soojung met Jinri! Thanks for reading!