VII.

Pas de Chance

I clicked my tongue one more time as a hyper Soojung drags me up the mountain. She insisted that we hike to "free our minds from worries".

"You know you should just go out sometime instead of staying in your boring, lifeless apartment." she said.

Way to praise my interior designing skills. It's called minimalistic you stupid redhead.

"Why are we here anyway? I'm supposed to be on my 3 month vacation." I complained.

Yes, apparently, some new guy wanted to work in that dirty, old restaurant so the boss decided to make me take a vacation while that guys takes my place. Well goodluck to him.

"Your three month vacation is the perfect time for us to get to know each other!" she cheerfully replied.

I looked at her like she was crazy, well she was crazy enough. She widens her eyes and a blush creeps up on her cheeks.

"Not like that!" she smiles shyly and hits me on my chest, making me cough a bit. This girl's hands are heavy. "I meant for my book."

To be honest, there were a lot of things I wanted to ask her. Why does she have a book? What's wrong with her? Why does she always seem like she's dizzy?

That sounds a bit stalker-ish, but to be honest, I've been taking care of her the past few weeks. She always comes to my apartment, despite complaining how boring it was for refuge. Meaning, she eats all my food and sleeps on my white sofa like we were married.

It kinda irked me a bit, but I've grown attached to her. But still, she's annoying.

I found that I've been painfully happy the past weeks because of her. It's like whenever she's around, she's like a happy virus.

Soojung noticed my silence and turned around to look at me.

"We're almost there, Mr. Grumpy Pants. For now, just marvel all around you. You've been worrying about the troubles of the world to much to see the beauty of it."

Another reason why I've grown attached to her. Her words always make sense.

I glance around me and found trees, with leaves slowly falling towards the earth, the gentle breeze carressing my face. For others, this was just a forest, nothing more. But for her, she makes it sound like this was a magical place, where the sun never sets and the ground never goes cold.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice her tripping on a rock. Because we were walking on a slope, she slid down towards me and I fell on my .

"What the hell Soojung!" I screamed.

"Ah! My ankle!" she moaned in pain. I sat up straight and observed her ankle. It was red, but it didn't look like sprain, so she should be fine.

"It's just a tiny bone stretch. You need exercise." 

"But it hurts!"

"You'll be fine after a few minutes, trust me."

And truthfully, after a few minutes, she stood up, albeit shaky form and started dragging me up again. It was almost dawn, and I'm tired and hungry. We've been hiking since 11 in the morning.

"We're here!" she lets go of me and runs away. This girl...... leaving me all alone.

I followed her, and there it was. Almighty Seoul, just meters below us. The lights looked like twinkling stars, and it was reflecting the millions of stars on the sky.

"It is breathtaking......" I was lost my breath.

"I told you it will be worth it." she snides.

I rolled my eyes. "Can we eat now? We've been hiking for 7 hours."

She chuckles as she lead me to one of the umbrella tables and turns on the light. There were streetfood vendors a few meters away from us so she decided to buy some while I prepare our lunch boxes.

We had a little chat, until everything went totally serious. It started when I asked her about her parents and where she was from.

"I'm from San Diego, Southern California. I was there from when I was around 4 until now, but I decided to learn more about my mother's home country. So now that I'm 21, I'm here all by myself in Seoul, almost getting lost, getting mobbed by crazy reporters and having an of a neighbor."

"Well I'm having a hyperactive, crazy 5 year old neighbor." I retorted. she chuckled.

"But really, I'm happy to have met you. Even before I......"

"Before you what?"

"Nothing..... forget that." she said, turning away. I was confused. What is really wrong with her? Because I can sense something is.

"So uh, what about your parents? You're mother is korean and your dad is american?" I tried changing the topic, but it looked like I just made it worse.

"Yep. They are......" she replied, almost teary eyed. "What-- what about you? Uh.... yeah, tell me about your family."

"My family's boring."

"Jongin!"

"What? It's true! I have a ty life. That's the reason why everything's so boring and I have the world's problems on my back. If for you, the world is the a good place to live in, well then you keep living in your fantasies because I have already seen the dark side of life and I know I'm living in reality unlike you."

"Why are you saying that? You should be happy that you're lucky! You're lucky you'll still get to see them, you'll still get to laugh with them and tell them how much you love them and spend every living daylight with them!"

She stands up and runs away, leaving me feeling like an . There's something about what she said that made me uncomfortable, but who is she to talk. She doesn't know I'm suffering too. 

Growing up, I would never have thought my father was the president of South Korea. My mother and I were happy, and we live comfortably in a small little house. 

Everything changed when he came. He wanted to taike me away from my mother. I didn't know anything. I didn't know my mother had an affair with the president.

I was forced to live by his rules. Because I was the first son, I was expected to be the next one in line as the president. But I didn't want that life. I wanted a simple one, where I'll work hard and sweat to earn money.

My father despised me, because I was an illegitimate child. I had a brother, Taemin, but my father didn't want him to carry all the burden.

My father was the reason why my..... why my mother died. She didn't abide to his rules, so he got mad and abused him. Taemin's mother died when she was giving birth to him, so my father used my mother as a means of pleasure. I hated him for that, but I was too coward to do anything, I mean I was young what was I to do?

So I had to leave. I had to leave to prove to him I'm not that coward boy anymore. I had to leave my hell of a life.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice Soojung. She was gone for 30 minutes now, and I'm starting to worry.

My anxiety kept building up every minute. Where is that dumb woman.

When the clock striked to 8, I couldn't hold it any longer. I had to find her. She must have been lost in the woods or something.

It was pitch black throughout the forest. I couldn't see a thing, it was like a horror movie waiting to happen.

"Jung Soojung! You stupid idiot! Where are you!" I called out for her, but to now avail.

I was going all around every nook and cranny looking for her when I heard some whimpers not too far from where I was standing.

"Soojung?" I called out. I heard a gasp and a "Jongin! ah!"

I rushed to where her sound was and saw her lying down on the ground, unable to move.

"My ankle!" she said as she tried to move it.

"No! Don't move, I'll get you out of here!" I said as I carried her and ran. I didn't know where I was heading to, I just ran.

I've been running and running so much that I just collapsed on the ground, accidentally dropping onto Soojung and her injured ankle.

"Ow! Watch it!" she complained.

"What the-- This is your fault! I'm carrying a huge backpack and you, running in circles in the middle of the woods at this hour! And all because you wanted to hike!"

I heard her stfling a sob and felt bad afterwards.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset." I said, letting my guard down. And I never let my guard down that easily to anyone.

She sniffs. "It's okay, as long as you're here, I don't feel so afraid anymore."

"Now, how are we gonna get out of here?"

"I know the trail, it's just that it's so dark I can't see it." she said.

I shivered. This could only mean one thing.

"So are you saying.......... we're staying here in the middle of the forest all night?!"

"There's..... no other way to go back....."

I sighed and gave up. I should know by now that unfortunate things will happen when I'm with this idiot.

I set up the tent in my huge backpack (I never knew I carried one, that was why it was so heavy) and carefully tucked Soojung inside. But because there was only one tent, we were forced to sleep next to each other.

"Good night, Jonginie~" she coos, and I could almost see that stupid smile on her face.

I clicked my tongue and turned my back at her. "Go to sleep."

I woke up in the middle of the night because of her small whines. I thought it was just because she was having a bad dream.

"Yah, wake up. You're too noisy." I said as I poked her. No respose.

"Yah." I repeated, my voice going up a notch.

"C-c--c-ccold....." I heard her mutter, and immediately, I knew something was wrong.

It's like I've become psychic when it comes to Soojung. I already know when something's right or wrong. And we only met like what? 2 months ago?

I inspected her body temperature, and just as I thought, she has a high fever. A really high one.

I rubbed my aching forehead due to stress. Without even thinking twice, I let her face me and pulled her close to me. She needed some heat.

Calmness came to me as I felt her soft breathing against my chest. Oh Soojung, you stupid girl.

You said this trip would free our minds of worries, but now you're making me worry a ton.


a/n: oh yeah I updated this again! Looks like PDC is back in bussiness! Also, check out Latching onto you, one of my oneshots coming out soon. thanks and enjoy reading! :)