XXV.

Pas de Chance

I hear Taemin's rigid breathing as he runs downstairs, carrying me in his back. His inhales and exhales matched perfectly with mine. 

"Why aren't you using the elevator?" I asked worriedly, afraid he might trip and fall from his panic. I couldn't see anything, so I was pretty much half dead as well.

"It's out of order. Don't worry I'll get you to the doctors fast enough, just don't cry anymore, please, it pains me to see you crying."

I caressed my face and found it damp with tears, I never even noticed that I was still crying. I remembered sobbing hard but keeping it in when I heard the commotion outside my door this morning, something about Jongin being taken away.

"Where's Jongin? What did they do to him?" I asked frantically. I felt the morning air on my bare face and Taemin rushing to get me inside his car. My question was left unanswered until he gets inside the car.

"I don't know where he is, and why they took him, but I promise you, I'll find out what happened as soon as I get you to the hospital."

"Them? Who took him? Who's them?"

"My guards."

"What?" I was confused. "Why would your guards take him? I don't understand." I searched for Taemin beside me, but he was nowhere to be found. "Taemin where are you????"

"I don't know what's happening, but please calm down! For me! I need to make it to the hospital without breaking down."

I then realized that Taemin was the one driving, and I also noticed how much I was panicking. I was panting so hard, trying to intake as much air into my lungs as possible, and my voice is going 5 octaves higher than usual.

I tried to take a deep breath. I remembered how Taemin was when in face wit difficult situations, and I don't want that to happen to him again. He looked like he was about to pass out that day, and I's scared that he would.

"Taemin, calm down. I'm fine, really. I just got a little surprised about what happened to Jongin. Please tell me you're calm right now, I can't really see---"

Realization hits me again, and I tried to hold back a sob that was about to come. Is this how it will end? I haven't even finished my story yet, I haven't....... I haven't told Jongin about this....... I don't want to trouble him any more than what he already has.

As I was lying down in the gurney, I felt like my life flashed right before my eyes. It's like I was dying, but not literally. It felt like my soul was getting seeped out by the darkness that consumes me.

I held onto Taemin's hand tightly while the doctors tried to find out what was wrong, as it was the only thing keeping me connected from life, and Taemin's warmth was reminding me that I'm still alive, and I still need to live, despite my blindness.

I closed my eyes shut, hoping all of this was a dream. Suddenly, as I opened them back, I found that I wasn't enveloped in darkness anymore. Everything around me was as bright as day.

"Taemin....." I looked at him, as I started to cry hysterically. I saw him with tears in his eyes too, and he hugged me tightly, because even if I never told him, he knew. Like an instinct.

"I'm so glad it's back. You scared me, Soojung......"

"The patient experienced semi- blindness. This usually happens to people with glaucoma, it's like a warning that your eyesight may soon be gone. Your body is giving you the feeling of what's going to happen when that time comes, and it makes you prepared for the future. We've run some tests and it seems like she's not gonna permanently lose her sight very soon. But always be prepared because something like this might happen again."

I sighed as the doctor babbled on about what happened. Three hours has passed since the incident and I still felt like I was in a traumatic experience.

When the doctor left, Taemin gave a sigh of relief. I his hand, the one I still haven't let go, letting him know I was fine.

"Soojung, I'm sorry, but I need to go. I still have to know what happened to Jongin. I also have tell him why you're here..." 

"No!" I shrieked, and I felt Taemin's slight flinch. I sighed and tried to calm my accelerating heart.

"Taemin," I said in between soft sobs, "Please..... promise me...... That Jongin shouldn't know about this. He shouldn't know what is happening to me, and what's wrong with me. Please, promise."

"But..... why? Soojung---"

"Just!!!! Please!!! Promise me, Taemin. As the soon to be president, you should listen to the needs of your people. And right now, I need you to listen to my need. I don't want to trouble him......"

"But you'll have to face him again when he comes back....... What if this happens again in the future, and what if he witnesses it?"

His words made me ponder on those things. I've never really given much thought to what would happen if I lost my eyesight in front of Jongin. Would I pretend like it didn't happen? Would I panic? Would I cry?

"I'll worry about that when it happens, right now, I need you to keep it a secret from him. You'd do it for me, right?"

Taemin sighed once again, and I know I had won.

He dropped me back to my apartment before setting out to find out what happened to Jongin.

And as I was alone that afternoon, it made me think of a lot of things. Mainly about my glaucoma, and about me and Jongin's relationship.

Technically, there was no relationship. Technically, there was a Kyungsoo in his life.

But I don't see Kyungsoo anymore, and it seems to me like he doesn't care about Kyungsoo at all.

Does he do this? Toy with people's feelings? Was I one of his playtoys? Have  fallen to his trap?

A lot of questions have been lingering in my head, in need of answers. But another part of my brain admitted that even if I really was one of his playtoys, I wouldn't give him up for the world.

I stared at the notebook on the table, the one where I'm writing my story. There were only three pages left, and I needed to buy a new notebook soon.

Out of boredom, I decided to read what I have written so far. It contained everything that happened to us, from getting trapped in the forest, to him at the party, to getting trapped in a well, to his feelings, to our fights, to his confession of love. And that's when it dawned on me.

I wasn't just writing about his story anymore. I was writing about our story.

I started crying again at the thought of it. Because no matter how nice the story is going and all right now, I know for a fact that it wouldn't end well. Especially with me in this condition.

Maybe........ I should just stop writing about him. And just...... get away from him.

It would be best for the both of us. It would be best if I'd just move away. Go anywhere else, or maybe I could just go back to San Diego.

Reading about the things I've written made me realize we were so happy, I was so happy, and he....... who once was so meek, so mysterious, so annoying, has turned into this guy who's caring and loving and would do anything for someone he loves.

And I know that him being with me wouldn't make him happy. It would hurt him. I would hurt him.

I will tell him as soon as he gets back. I have to leave. And that I am not the right person for him.

I packed my bags that night, tired of waiting for him. Maybe he'll come home late. It was starting to worry me, but I know Taemin's with him and he'll take care of him well.

I thought of where to go. I didn't wanna move back to San Diego, I was too afraid that they'd shun me for just leaving like that.

I need to be anywhere but here. I fiddled with my phone for a few minutes, hesitant to ask for help.

I searched for a number and pressed call.

"Soojung! I'm glad you called!" the person on the other line says cheerfully.

"Hey."

"Huh? Why do you sound so sullen?"

"Just tired."

"Don't stress yourself out, Soojung. You worry me."

"Sooyeon," I said, taking a deep breath, "I need your help."

"About what?"

"Do you by chance know anyone here that can help me find a place to stay in? I just don't feel like staying where I am already......"

I could sense she hears hesitation in my voice, but she didn't mention about it and gave me details about people she knew.

When we ended the conversation, my phone ringed. It was Taemin.

"Soojung...... Jongin is....."

As Taemin explained what happened, my eyes grew wider and wider. I was confused as hell.

What does Jongin have to do with the president? 

"Will I ever get to see him again?" I asked, despite of confusion.

"I don't know......."

I ended the call. That was it. The last sign.

Maybe..... we weren't meant to be. Maybe the story wasn't meant to be finished......

I tore a page from my notebook and scribbled letters in it. Carrying my belongings, I walked out the door, towards his apartment. I briefly wondered if I should leave the note or not.

As my tears started falling like a waterfall again, I slid the paper underneath his doorway and made a mad dash towards the stairs.

When I was in the lobby, I met eyes with Kyungsoo, who was about to go up.

"Soojung?" he approached, and noticing my tears, he gasped. "Are you oka---"

I hugged him and sobbed on his shoulder.

"Soo......jung?"

"Make new good memories with Jongin..... okay?" I exclaimed, and let go of him, running out the building.

I heard him screaming my name, but I didn't looked back anymore. I was afraid that if I did, I wouldn't be able to go.


a/n: okay there you go I didn't know what I did but I did it! And now we're entering season 2 (what is this, a tv show?) of this story, meaning in the next episode, it's gonna be a new environment, and new build up in the story, namsayin?

Thank you so much to those who just continue reading this piece of crap even when you all are frustrated with what I keep doing haha I love you all and I promise, it will end well. Thanks for reading and see you on the next chapter! :)