XXIX.

Pas de Chance

I was silent the whole car ride. The news the doctor told me earlier clearly was a shock to me. 

"It's a miracle you've survived this far, Ms. Jung. Usually, patients go blind 7 to 8 months after they've been diagnosed, but you've made it till 2 whole years with only occassional blurry visions and semi permanent loss of vision. But, it is inevitable, and according to your tests, it shouldn't be too far that it will eventually happen."

I was already prepared for the worst. Even with Jinri and her family constantly pleading me to get treatment, I denied all of them. Maybe it was better off this way.

Maybe the world really is cruel, and there's no point to see the beauty of it anymore.

Jinri probably noticed my silence because I felt her holding onto my clasped hands. I looked over at her and she smiled weakly at me.

"You won't have to go through it alone. I'll be with you, we all will be."

I showed her my usual enthusiastic grin to not worry her so much. She and her family had been a big help me to me, and I don't want them getting upset just because of a sick girl.

"I know that. I'm gonna be fine, as long as I have you."

We were meeting her fiance's family after the doctor's appointment. I'm not really sure why I'm coming along, but I figured she needed emotional support. She has been talking about this boy for the longest time.

Maybe it's time I find out who he is.

We arrived at their hotel, and suddenly I'm apprehensive of coming along.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. They're nice people. I don't wanna give you a shock of your life, but his father used to be a big name in South Korea." she said, easing my nervousness.

At least, I hope she did. That statement made me even more nervous. I've had my fair share of moments with people who are big names in this country, and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

And just like that, I remembered him again.

I miss Jongin. But I can't turn back time. I can't undo what I did.

It was better off that way. He was better without me.

I still visited the restaurant he worked in. But I never saw him again.

Maybe it was God's way of telling me to stop.

"Jinri, wait, Chanyeol just texted. He said I'm really needed in the flower shop. Can I skip this for now? I think this is serious, he texted in all caps." I told her after reading a text from my phone.

"Are you sure you're gonna be okay? What if you get another episode? You're alone." she said worriedly.

I smiled at her. Jinri, always worried too much about the people around her.

"I'm gonna be fine. I'll just ask Mr. Seo to drop me off Ne Plus Ultra. Don't worry about this meeting, I''m sure you're gonna nail it."

I bid goodbye and proceeded to the car. When I got to the shop, I saw a commotion inside.

I hesitantly entered and saw Chanyeol looking sullen as a customer was yelling at him, his back turned at me.

Which was brave, because he looked like a midget compared to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol looked into my direction amd sighed in relief. He ran to me witj open arms and hid at my back.

"He wanted to buy the orange hydrangeas on display but I told him they weren't for sale and then he started yelling at me nonstop." Chanyeol wimpered as he cowered beneath me, tears threatening to fall.

That's the biggest misconception about Chanyeol; he may be one giant man, but he's a little softie who would never hurt a fly. 

That's probably why he was perfect to work at a flowershop.

"Why are you the only one at the counter? Where's Junymeon and Sehun?" I asked in an almost serious tone.

Well, ever since I was hired by Jinri I kinda became the official manager of the store, since Jinri can't always be at the flowershop ever since the talk about her arranged marriage. So, she chose me as the new manager (much to Sehun's annoyance, but I've gotten used to the mischief maker).

"Luhan's at his training, Junymyeon's at his grandparents because of am emergency and Sehun was supposed to be here already since his classes ended but I don't know why he's not." he replied.

I was getting a little annoyed with the situation, today has a been a rough day so far and I really didn't need another problem right now.

I approachd the customer, his back still turned and he was muttering stuff like "why put it on display when you can't even sell it?!"

"Excuse me sir, but the orange hydrangeas are exclusively the owner's. Should you wish to bug one, I shall inform her, but she's busy at the moment so it would be best if you come bac--"

"But I need them now!" he whined and suddenly turned to me.

Now it was my turn to get the shock of my life.

Standing in front me, in a clean bald cut, was Kyungsoo himself. I almost didn't recognized him because of his hair.

He seemed to also be surprised. His mouth agape, he pointed at me and lef out the biggest scream.

"SOOJUNG?!?!?"

"Hello........ Kyungsoo......." I said awkwardly. It's like talking about the past makes them magnetize on me or something.

His surprised expression changed to that of amusement, and he launched himself at me, almost toppling us both over if not for Chanyeol holding me into place.

"I missed you! How have you been oh my god! The last time I saw you, you were crying your eyes out! And wow, no more red hair??? What happened? Tell me everything!" he screeched loudly as his grip on me tightens.

I looked over to Chanyeol for help, but he was also confused on what's happening.

"Yeah, it's really been a long time hasn't it." I said.

He lets go of me and glares at Chanyeol, and Chanyeol in turn wimpered again behind me.

"This guy you have thinks he can intimidate me with his height, but I'm superior!" he says, frowning.

I laughed. "Chanyeol wasn't trying to intimidate anyone, that's just how he is. He's the biggest crybaby I know."

Chanyeol looks at me offendedly but doesn't seem to disagree.

"Oh, but it's such a shame I can't buy these hydrangeas." Kyungsoo said sadly. "They were unique and they would've been perfect."

"What do you need the flowers for anyway?" I asked curiously.

"Why, for Jongin's wedding of course!" he replied proudly.

I gulped. I haven't heard that name in years. Sure, I hear it all the time in my head, but I never dared say it in real life. I was convincing myself he was just a figment of my imagination, and saying his name out loud would've made him real.

"Wait...... wedding? So the two of you are....... finally getting married huh?" I said, trying not to make it seem like it hurt.

So he seemed fine without me. That's a relief at least.

"What? No, silly. Jongin's not gay." Kyungsoo retorts. "He explained to me everything, about his father wanting him to be in an arranged marriage, and that he used me, which kinda hurt by the way, and yeah. I guess, when you left, he realized getting into an arranged marriage was better than being miserable all his life."

Well that was a lot to take in. Jongin? In an arranged marriage? How could that ever happen? Also, didn't he hate his father to his guts? Why would he contradict himself into obeying his orders.

"Wait, this is all confusing. What does me leaving have to do with him being miserable?" I asked, knowing well enough why. I just wanted to confirm.

"Well, for one, he's in love with you, Soojung. Anyone could tell he does. From the moment at camp, I've seen the way he looked at you. He would never done that to me, even during the times when we were together. I kinda figured that out when he revealed everything. I guess, not wanting to get into am arranged marriage that was also because, it had always been you whom he loved."

I feel a lump form in my throat. I didn't wanna cry now, I did this after all. I made this happen. And it's for the best.

Because Jongin marrying another girl is better than Jongin being together with a sick girl like me all his life. He doesn't deserve that.

"Anyway, now that I know where you are, I can tell him about it! I'm sure he'd lo--"

"Kyungsoo, please don't." I said almost immediately. "There was a deeper reason on why I left, and I just wanted it to stay that way. So please, don't tell him you saw me."

Kyungsoo was confused for a second, but then his face turned sad.

"Can I at least tell Taemin?" he asked.

I almost forgot about Taemin. I didn't know he still kept in touch with him.

"Wait, wait, what?????" Chanyeol speaks after being silent for a while. "You're friends with the new president?" 

I looked over at Chanyeol and smiled sheepishly.

"It's a long story, Chanyeol-ah."