XV.

Pas de Chance

When I was in kindergarten, I fell off a tree. I had minor injuries, and almost had a bone fracture if it wasn't for a classmate who saved me.

When I was in middle school, I fell down the flight of stairs. Probably because it was slippery, or because I was a total klutz, but I managed to sustain a few bruises thanks to a good friend of mine (who was standing downstairs casually, not knowing that I would fall and land on him)

When I was on my last term of college, I almost fell down the stage while I was accepting my diploma. That was when I started having symptoms of glaucoma. But, as luck would have it, I was saved, because one of my good classmates noticed it beforehand and managed to hold onto my arm so that I wouldn't fall.

All my life, I've been into many, many accidents that would probably take my life, or give me broken bones, but I am always thankful for the people who managed to save me, whether they do it on purpose or by accident.

I stared at Kyungsoo and Jongin from across the room. Since the last time Kyungsoo barged in here (which was around 4 weeks ago), he and Jongin were inseprable.

At first, Jongin kept denying that Kyungsoo was his "boyfriend", but as time passed, it didn't seem like it was a joke anymore.

"No, I'm serious! He's not my boyfriend! I'm straight!"

"Yeah, and I have 3 legs."

"You do?"

"Jongin, just tell me honestly. Remember when I said I'll always be here for you, back there in your old house?"

Jongin looked at with a scowl on his face and walked right out of my apartment, slamming the door behind him. I had to say sorry for 5 days straight so he wouldn't be mad again.

I  could see he's not hmoual, but his actions towards Kyungsoo says otherwise. The second time Kyungsoo barged in my apartment, he lets him in without a word and they talked the whole afternoon, completely ignoring the fact that I'm there and they're actually at my house.

Kyungsoo's visits became frequent, and Jongin seems to be drifting away from me as the days passed.

It was like I was all alone again, like Jongin was physically there acting out like family to me, yet he's mentally away, socially away...... emotionally away.

It's funny, really, that I'm so affected by Jongin's avoidance, and it makes me think that ah, he really is gay, he just doesn't want to admit it to me.

I was lost in my thoughts when the doorbell rang. I glanced at the boys on the living room, but they seem too engrossed on the psp Kyungsoo brought over.

With a sigh, I trudged towards the door and was greeted by Taemin's jolly face. I couldn't help but smile seeing his wide grin.

"I missed you!" he declared as he puts his arms around me, lifting me up slightly. I yelped at the sudden contact, and after a few seconds I heard Jongin's loud footsteps as he ran towards the door.

"Oh. It's you." he said nonchalantly as soon as he sees Taemin. Taemin smiled to him in return.

"Where have you been?" I asked.

"Oh, just here and there...... Been busy because you know, presidential son reasons..... How have you been?"

I told him I was fine, and as we were conversing a loud squeal interrupted us. We all turned our heads at the direction of the sounds and saw Kyungsoo, his wide eyes staring right into Taemin's soul.

"Oh. My. God." he says with every step as he walks toward us carefully. "Is this real life?"

"Uh......"

"This is Kyungsoo. Jongin's boyfr-"

"Friend! He's a friend." Jongin said, eyeing me. I got the signal and shutted up.

"Why is the president's son here?" I heard Kyungsoo whispering to Jongin as he fiddles with his fingers. "I'm a fan!" he says proudly even before Jongin could reply to his question.

I saw Jongin sighing defeatedly and chuckled a bit, it must be hard to put up with Kyungsoo's randomness.

I watched as Kyungsoo drags an uncomfortable Taemin inside, leaving me and Jongin by the door.

"Must be hard to keep up with Kyungsoo, huh?" I asked as I closed the door.

"Um, excuse me, but you're weird yourself. I learned to put up with him because of you." Jongin says as he pokes on my forehead.

How can he just sass me like that, I will never know.

The four of us spent dinner together, with Kyungsoo trying his best not to blurt out random things like "your hair is the shape of a cotton candy" and "I once named my comb Taemin". 

(He does it anyway.)

"So, I came here for an announcement." Taemin says after dinner. Kyungsoo had left, stating he still needs to do computer stuff. Of course, he didn't leave without making a scene, asking Taemin for a hug and kissing Jongin on the cheek, much to Jongin's distress.

"Are they......?" Taemin asked me as he watches Jongin escorting (pushing) Kyungsoo out the door.

"It's a long story......"

"What's it about?" Jongin asked as he tidies up the dining room table.

"There's a party on sunday, and I would very much like you to come...... Even you, Jongin." he said as he looks at Jongin suspiciously.

Jongin's face morphed into something I couldn't understand, and I don't think I will ever understand all these unspoken conversations between Taemin and Jongin.

"I..... I can't....."

"What? Why?"

"I'm not going either." Jongin said. I looked over to him in wonder.

"Why?" Taemin whined.

"If she's not going then I don't wanna go either......." Taemin frowns at Jongin's ridiculous excuse, and I felt bad. I mean, I don't wanna be the cause of a misundertanding between them.

Taemin turns to me with pleading eyes. I tried to look away, but I couldn't help it, his sad face kept appearing in my mind.

"Alright, alright, I'll go. Just...... I don't know what to wear!"

"Really?"

"Soojung!" They chorused, and I held onto my head, preparing for a wave of headache.

Wednesday arrived, and a package was sent outside my door.

"What is it?" I asked curiously as Jongin slowly opens the big box.

"Bombs."

"Jongin!"

"It's a gown! And....... heels, and a suit? That little ......" he says, lifting the articles of clothing to examine each one.

I held onto the gown, feeling the sheer cloth as it graced through my fingertips. The material screamed expensive, as well as the shiny silver heels.

"Why did I agree to this again?"

"To piss me off." Jongin said, looking over at me with that piercing gaze. I felt the churn on my stomach and looked away hurriedly.

"What's wrong?" I heard a hint of worry in his voice. I tried to think of an lie, something not involving having weird feelings whenever we make eye contact.

"I don't know how to wear heels." I said, still not looking at him. That was partly true, since I've always been wearing flat shoes all my life. My doctor advised me to stay off high heels to avoid injuries, knowing my eyes aren't that good.

Jongin chuckled, and I looked back at him to glare at him. He seemed to have noticed it because he slowly stops, clearing his throat.

I found myself gasping when he kneels in front of me and straps the shoes on both my feet. Jongin, why do you do things that make me feel things......

"Stand up." he instructed, stretching out one of his hands towards me. I took it and carefully stood up as I find my balance.

And that was how I had walking in heels lesson with Jongin that day. (It still sounds ridiculous)

Sunday came, and I found myself outside the venue, as said on the invitation letter, with a pouty Jongin beside me.

"Why did you have to agree?" he asks every 5 seconds.

"Because I don't want you two to fight." I took the time to stare at Jongin. I've been staring at him ever since we were at the apartment, ever since he came out of his apartment, and during the car ride here.

Everytime I look at him, a part of me just shivers and I feel butterflies in my stomach. His once disheveled black hair was sleeked back using a gell, and he looked really dashing in a white tuxedo. The black bowtie around his neck puts the outfit altogether.

I pinched my arm to remind myself that I shouldn't be staring at Jongin this long, because one, it's creepy, two, Jongin might see me, and three, Kyungsoo might find out about it and murder me.

As we entered the grand hall, I noticed a lot of women and men dressed in expensive looking clothes, most of them I've seen on tv or on newspapers.

"You're here!" I hear a voice behind us and as I turned, I saw Taemin, the same wide smile plastered on his face.

He wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me away from Jongin, much to my surprise.

"Where are we going? What about Jongin?"

"Oh he'll be fine. Let's dance!"

I stared at him, contemplating on whether to tell him about my little secret. Seeing there's no other way, I sighed in defeat.

"I actually...... don't know how to wear heels. I looked like a grandma while Jongin and I were walking here, he was holding onto me."

I expected Taemin to laugh, or even chuckle a bit, but instead, I saw a smile on his face as he kneels down and removes my heels from my feet.

I noticed a few people glancing our direction and felt embarrassed, a blush creeping upon my face when I felt Taemin's bare hands brushing on my feet.

He stands up, and he's a few feet taller than me again, and he holds up one hand. I took it and he leads me to the center of the hall, the cold floor beneath my bare feet.

All eyes were on us now, seeing we're the only couple on the dance floor. The soft music playing suddenly turned into that of a waltz, and I yelped as Taemin slowly lifts me up, placing my feet right on top of his shoes.

"Your precious feet might get cold, because we're staying here for a while." he whispers in my ear and starts moving around the dance floor.

Soon enough, other people followed suit, and some were clapping in the background.

I looked at Taemin, a blush creeping up my face. But then, I wondered why I was blushing. Was it because of the attention we were getting? or was it because..... I like Taemin?

The thought of liking him surprised me a bit, and I let go of his hold immediately. He looks at me with a confused expression.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah....... I'll just....... check on Jongin." I said and walked briskly away from the center of the dance floor. I put my shoes back on, and although having a hard time, I forced myself to walk, finding Jongin everywhere.

I walked and walked until I felt tired and my feet hurt, but I never stopped and continued walking. I just wanted to find him, because I wanted to confirm something.

I walked out of the hall and onto the big lobby and as I turned the corner, I saw Jongin. I found myself smiling, and walked towards him slowly.

I stopped midway when I noticed he was with somebody. After a few squints, I came to realize who it was and was about to call both their attention, but I stopped when the other person launched himself towards Jongin.

With both of his hands on the side of Jongin's face, Kyungsoo's lips collided with Jongin's.

I felt a huge lump on my throat, and without thinking I ran back towards the hall, as I felt tears threatening to fall down my eyes.

And as if I wasn't unlucky enough, I felt a huge amount of pain as one of my foot twists, making me fall down face first right in the middle of the dance floor.

I let the tears fall, because my twisted ankle hurts like a , but what hurts more is the pain that I've been feeling in my heart.

Because I realized, I fell, but nobody caught me. 

I fell for Jongin, but he was too busy catching someone else.


a/n: what the what the what?!?!?!?!??!?! Kyungsoo what have you done! *gets mad at my characters*