III.

Pas de Chance

The screaming continued for days and days of no end. I don't know what his problem was, but not only was he bringing hardship to me during the night, also to the other neighbors who are living in this floor.

Every morning I come out and stick my head close to his front door, but I wouldn't hear a sound.

He goes to work really early and comes back really late, and still has time for his "scream therapy", as I would like to call it.

We were all fed up to be honest. But no one dared to confront him.

"He's scary. We never saw him coming out or going in."

"When we do see him, he ignores us."

"He's so mysterious. Nobody ever knows his name, his age, where he was from. All we know is he goes to work in that stingy restaurant a few blocks away."

"And this is the first time we ever heard him scream like that. He was always the quiet one."

Well it's not an excuse to disturb people in the middle of the night.

I was so fed up that I knocked on his door one night. He needs a confrontation.

The door opens and out pops his head.

"Are you insensitive or do you just enjoy people's misery? Are you satan?" I asked sternly.

He raised one of his brows at me.

"Well in case you didn't notice you're disturbing us during our sleep. If you wanted to do your scream therapy so much, please just do it in a mountain and not here. People actually live here, and we're not ghosts. Unlike you."

I turned around and was about to go back to my apartment.

"You."

I heard his voice and was taken aback by how...... y it sounded. No wait I'm supposed to be mad at him right now!

"Stop meddling. I'll scream if I want to scream. I'll make noise if I want to. I'll ignore people if I want to."

I turned around and was about to lecture him more but he closed the door on my face.

He's so rude.

And that's when I realized that I need him.

He'd be perfect for the perfect story! This serious man who never seems to live life properly.

I'll show him what living really is, and this is what makes a perfect story.

The next day, I woke up really early and waited for him to go out of his apartment.

"Hello neighbor!" I greeted him as he gets out.

He raised one of his brows on me once again, and ignored me as he walks towards the elevator.

I followed him, and he gave me this weirded look once again, but continued to ignore me.

I followed him all the way outside, walking behind him while scribbling things on my notebook.

"What the heck are you doing?!" he asked irritatedly.

"Oh you talk!" I teased. "Hi! I'm--"

"I don't have time to know who you are. Leave me alone or you're gonna get it."

I wasn't fazed. He didn't look dangerous at all. In fact, he looked....... lost and sad.

"Don't be like that to your new neighbor! I just wanted to write about you."

"Why?"

"Because you seem interesting!"

"Well you're annoying the crap out of me so leave me alone. There are over 3 billion people living in korea, disturb them instead." he continued walking and I followed him again.

"But they're not as interesting as you." I said.

He stopped walking and turned to me again.

"What makes me interesting? I eat, I poop, I go to work, I walk, I breathe. What's so different about me and them."

"You're different because I said so."

"That doesn't make sense." he scoffed and continued walking. I followed.

"Yes it does! I never met a man who respects time so much. I salute you."

He stops walking and I bumped my nose on his back.

"Ow......"

"Are you blind? Watch where you're going."

"I soon will be." I said seriously.

His cold expression softened and he looked tensed, as if he just offended me unknowingly. I showed him my pearly whites.

"It's okay. I'm used to people anyway. They hurt others without realizing it. Isn't it funny? They say they're nice and pure, but I think that's just what they wanted themselves to think. Just because you don't kill people doesn't mean you're any nicer. People make mistakes, it's part of growing up. And you really never stopped growing."

He sighed and looked at me.

"Look, I don't know what you're talking about, or who you are but please, leave me alone."

I watched him walk farther and farther away from me. I sighed in defeat. He was perfect for the main role.

I turned back to my apartment. Looks like I'll be waiting outside his apartment the whole day.

I woke up and found myself on someone else's sofa. The last thing I remember was me falling asleep in the hallway. Where am I?

Panic suddenly came to me and I checked if I was still in my clothes. 

"No, no one did anything to you. Not even me, so stop panicking."

I turned to the direction of the voice and my eyes widened.

"What am I doing here?"

"You were sleeping outside my door, what do you expect me to do?"

"So you're not a bad person after all....." I said and smiled a little.

He ignored me and went to his room.

This guy when will he stop being rude to me?

I grabbed my notebook and pen and scribbled something.

He was as hollow as the spaces between stars. But as he looks into my eyes, I feel like he's lost just like everyone else. Is it really that bad if someone sees who you are? Why is it humans have a problem with letting someone else see that they are human?

I put down my notebook on the table and decided to explore his apartment. It was big, just like mine, but it looked so simple. Too simple.

It's like someone who lives here just uses this for sleep. There wasn't any television, no picture frames, no wall paintings. Just a sofa, kitchen utensils, tables and chairs.

What is he really?

"What are you doing?"

I jumped at his voice and turned around to him scrutinizing me.

"I gotta learn something about my main character."

"Are you still going on about that? I told you I'm not interested. Now go back to your apartment and let me sleep."

"But if I leave you're gonna start screaming again and you won't let me sleep."

He mumbles a "is this girl serious" and turns to me with a stern look, his lips pressed in a thin line.

"Get out."

"No."

"Oh really."

"Yes."

"Well then I'm gonna take you out myself."

Before I could process what he meant, he lifted me and placed me on his shoulders, carrying me all the way oustide.

"Hey! You're rude and you're mean!" I said as he throws me in the ground and closes the door on my face.

How can he treat a sick girl like this. I gave up and entered my apartment.

I'm sorry mister, but I ain't giving up that easily.


a/n: i really really at telling a story like this. maybe it's bc of the heat.