XIV.

Pas de Chance

I chuckled at her surprised face as we got down the bus. All throughout the 30 minute drive, she wouldn't stop asking where we were going.

"Wow...... I only seen this in pictures...... I can't believe I'm really here at the famous Han River!" she squealed in delight as she runs away and forgets about me.

The smile on my face turned upside down when I saw her tripping and falling down, face first on the cement.

"Soojung!" I ran up to her and helped her up. I hit her on the head. "Why were you running so fast?! You know you're still not well!"

Instead of grimacing at me, which she usually does, I found a big smile plastered in her face. 

"Thank you for bringing me here!" she said cheerfully, like she didn't just fell and scraped her knee.

I guided her to a nearby bench and told her to wait as I bought some ointment. Looks like this day isn't going to go according to plan.

"What are we doing here anyway?" Soojung asks while I'm treating her wound.

"I was supposed to show you something, but then your stupid got in trouble again. I can't let you walk, so we'll just go home."

"But!"

Just then, as if on cue, a couple riding a bicycle passed by us, and as I looked at Soojung I noticed she had the same idea as me.

Minutes later, here are at a bike rental, Soojung on my back jumping excitedly.

"Will you stop moving?! You're heavy enough!" I said irritatedly as I dropped her. She fell on her , groaning in pain.

"Yah!" she said as she glares at me. She extends her hand, but I ignored her and walked towards the rental store. "Yah Kim Jongin!"

"I'd like to borrow a dual bicycle?" I asked the man on the desk nicely. He shakes his head.

"There are no dual bicycles available at the moment, but we do have bicycles with a backseat. Would that be okay?"

I sighed. I walked all the way here, carrying this stupid girl, and now I have to ride the bicycle all by myself. I considered the fact that she was injured and went for the bikes with backeat.

I went back outside, pulling the bike with me. I noticed Soojung was standing far away from me, her back turned.

"Yah. Come here, let's go." I said, but she ignores me and crosses her arms.

Are you serious right now, Jung Soojung. Irritated of her tantrums, I pulled her hastily, causing her to tumble and fall on me.

"Stupid." I muttered and helped her get back to her balance. She still seemed flustered, so I flicked her in the forehead.

"What!"

"Ride the damn bike."

"I'm going home!" she said, walking away from me, although clearly by the way she's walking she can't.

"Come on, Soojung, don't be like this now. I really need to show you something, it could help with your story."

That stopped her from her tracks. She looked back at me and stared at me for a couple of seconds, before going back beside me and sitting on the backseat.

I sat on the front seat and positioned my foot on one pedal.

"Do you wanna fall down? Hold onto me." I instructed her. I felt her hands creeping towards my white shirt and she holds onto both sides of it, tugging it down.

I don't know what got into me, but I grabbed her hands, making her flinch, and wrapped them around my waist. 

"This is much safer." I said, clearing my throat. I started to pedal, and as the cold wind hits my face, I found my heart beat getting faster whenever I feel her arms around me.

This is crazy.

I ignored the feelings that are starting to bubble up and focused on the road. I pedaled towards a very familiar neighborhood, and as I came closer to a house, I skidded to a stop.

"We're here." I said, and as Soojung's arms unwrapped on my waist, I felt a sense of emptiness.

Once again, I ignored the feelings and guided her towards the front gate. I pushed it, and it opened easily, with that same creaky sound I came to memorize.

"Are we allowed to go in here?" she asks. I nodded and she enters with me trudging behind her.

The house was the same as always, it had been almost 10 years or so since I came back here. Nobody was occupying, seeing the empty rooms.

But there were simple things that remained, like the mirror that's cracked into the middle hanging by the living room, or the rusty old swing by the garden.

"Why are we here?" Soojung asked after a few moments of silence. I composed myself before speaking.

"This is where I used to live..... with my mom." she looked at me but didn't spoke, so I continued. "Back then, me and my mom, we were so happy and content. We didn't have much, but as long as we have each other, it was fine. Everyday, we were always smiling widely, sharing jokes and sometimes even teasing each other. That's how close we are."

"What about..... your dad?" she asked. I stiffened a bit, but gained my composure.

"They weren't really married. I guess you could say I was an illegitimate child..... That didn't mind me though, I don't care whatever stupid label people call me. But what pissed me off was how my father used my mother, and used me. He's a rich man, a very rich man.

He took me away from my mother and forced me to do things, stupid things, so that I could live with my mom. He did made my mom live with me in his stupid, big mansion, but what he did to her....... I will never forget the painful screams my mom emitted everyday.

He abused her so much that it lead to her death..... That's why I hated my father to guts, and that's why I'm so closed off like this. I value time, not because it's important, but because I'm counting the days to when I'll die.

I really want to die when she died, because I figured nobody will ever care if I did die..... right?"

I was surprised when Soojung runs up to me and wraps her arms around my neck. I heard her sobbing on my shoulder.

"Don't you ever think like that for once! I'm here, I care for you!"

"I know, that's why when you appeared in my life, everything in me changed. And I'd like to thank you for it. I don't know what you did, but it made me calm down. Those times when I was screaming at night, those were the times when I really wanted to die. But you..... You came and it's like you gave color to my life."

Soojung and I had a moment of eye contact and during those few seconds, I realized how beautiful she really is. Why didn't I notice this before?

"From now on, I won't let you do bad things to yourself. I'll always be here. So please, don't think about killing yourself ever again." she said, a small smile reappearing on her lips.

I nodded, getting infected with her happy virus. I told more about my life, skipping the part about Taemin being my brother and who my father was. She listened intently, and for once, I feel like I could trust someone with everything. Like no matter what I tell her, she wouldn't judge me.

As the sun sets, we decided it's time to go back home. As we were passing by Han River, I caught sight of someone not too far from us. He also seemed to have noticed me, as he started running towards me.

I pedaled faster, and I felt Soojung's grip on me tightened.

"Why are we so fast?" she asked, panic evident on her voice. I didn't answer and instead, zoomed pass Kyungsoo who's running towards our direction.

"YAH! JONGIN!" I heard him as I sped away, but I didn't stop, I just pedaled all the way back to our apartment. 

"Who was that?" Soojung asks as we rode the elevator. "And what about the bike?"

"I'll return the bike tomorrow."

"And the guy calling you.....?"

"Some sasaeng." I said and left her alone in the elevator as soon as the doors opened. I really want to drop the conversation already.

I had fun with Kyungsoo yesterday, but it doesn't mean I want to see him again. 

"You have a sasaeng?" she asks unbelievably as I typed in her passcode on the door. I didn't answer and walked towards the kitchen to prepare dinner.

I heard her make a sound of annoyance before stomping towards the living room to turn on the tv.

When the food was done, I went to the living room to call her. She was writing on that little notebook again.

"Why is the tv on when you're not even watching? You're wasting electricity." I said as I turned the tv off.

She grabs the remote control from my hands and turns it back on.

"I know very few korean words, so I need help from the tv."

"You could just ask me."

"That's not what I---"

We were interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. I furrowed my eyebrows, who could be visiting at this hour? Probably Taemin, but why would he come when he just had a date with Soojung yesterday.

Soojung walked towards the door to open it, and my jaw dropped as I saw who was on the other side of the door.

"Hi! I'm Kyungsoo, Jongin's boyfriend!"


a/n: I think I failed at this chapter sigh I need to read a lot of fics again for inspiration. Nevertheless thanks for reading! :)

ps: I did use the han river, but then...... I started typing a different place and idk what happened anymore......