XXVI.

Pas de Chance

I winced as the rays of sun seeped through the curtains, hitting my closed eyes. I sighed in comfort and slowly fluttered them open, and came face to face with a white room, white sheets, white everything.

It's like I'm in a hospital, I said to myself.

It had been a week, and I'm still not used to my new place. It's more like a house than an apartment, and it's in the more luxurious part of Seoul, where there are more houses than apartments.

I haven't received any text or call from neither Jongin nor Taemin, and I resisted the urge to make contact with them. I decided to change my number, but it wouldn't come in a couple more weeks.

"Soojung?" a voice resonated outside my door, followed by a knock. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah, come in." I said with a smile.

The white door opened and I came face to face with a girl with short hair, with streaks of red peaking in at the bottom strands. She had a heartwarming smile, and her pale skin glowed as the morning rays hit her.

"Good Morning Soojung."

"Good Morning Jinri."

Jinri was the owner of this grand house. Or should I say mansion, since this was the biggest house in the neighborhood. She often lives alone, due to her parents always being away on business trips, and her brother who currently resides in America.

I never really knew much about Jinri, but I was glad that she welcomed me with open arms when I decided to crash in here.

"You're always welcome to our house. I'd do anything for the sister of my brother's girlfriend." she said with a smile.

I've only heard Jinri's name once, when I joined in on Sooyeon and Donghae's conversation, but from what I heard, she was the sweetest girl ever. And that wasn't a lie.

"How did your night go? Did you still wake up in the middle of the night?" she asked with a worried look on her face.

"I'm still not used to such a spacious room, but gladly I didn't woke up in the middle of the night anymore. I feel much better." I smiled in reply, and took notice of my surroundings. The room was as big as our backyard in San Diego. And our backyard is big.

"You know I could always sleep here..... It'd be nice having a sleepover with you."

I chuckled. Jinri had always wanted a little sister, but since her parents are so busy, they had no time to make another addition to the family.

"Who knows? If your brother and my sister eventually get married, we could have all the sleepovers you want!"

I saw her eyes lit up with joy, and she clasped her hand in mine.

"That would be wonderful!" she exclaimed with glee. We both laughed. As out laughter died down, she spoke again. "Come on, breakfast is ready. Let's go downstairs."

I nodded in reply and stood up the white bed, arranging the pillows and the blanket. Whe everything was tidy, Jinri held my hand tight and we trudged towards the elevator.

Jinri had a problematic knee, so she couldn't use the stairs, so they put an elevator inside the house. It wasn't too big, but it was spacious enough for two people.

"I'm still not used with having someone with me while riding the elevator. The last time this happened was when I was a small girl and my brother was still studying in highschool!"

I felt bad for her, being all alone in this big house. I always had my parents and sister with me all my life, because they feared for my condition. But she was all alone, even with her bad knee.

I remember I haven't told her about my condition yet. I was hesitant, because I didn't want to burden her. But it would be more convenient if I told her, rather than her knowing about it when I'm already blind.

I ate my eggs and bacon in silence and let Jinri tell me about her stories. We've never actually met before, as I was residing in the US, but she told me she heard a lot about me.

"My brother said you were good at flower arrangements. That's good, because I would really much like you to help out in my small flower shop downtown." she told me with a smile.

"You have a flower shop? That's amazing." I replied with a jolly expression.

Flower arrangement was probably something I'm really good at, maybe it was in my blood, I heard my grandmother was good at it too.

"Yup! I know it's weird, considering I have all the money I needed but, being around flowers is something I really like. I loved planting a lot too, so I have a luscious garden filled with different kinds of flowers."

"I would love to check out your garden!" I said a little too excitedly, causing Jinri to chuckle.

"How about we drop by after dinner? So you can meet my other employees. You'll get along with them well."

"Thank you Jinri, this is too much....."

"Oh Soojung." she said as she approaches me, giving me a bear hug. "I have to admit, I was pretty apprehensive about you when I first saw you outside my door. There's this mysterious glint in your eyes, mixed with sadness. But now I really really like you. I wish you were my sister."

I was grateful for Jinri. She was the miracle I was looking for when I arrived here in Korea. 

Breakfast ended, and we went to our respective rooms to get ready for the day. As I grabbed my towel from my suitcase (which I obviously haven't unpacked yet), something falls off in it. I caught sight of a pearlescent sky blue cover, with a few stains covering it.

I picked it up, and once again I was enveloped with sadness. It has been a week, and I've never heard from him. I refused to reread it all again, I feared that if I did, I wouldn't resist the urge to go back. Go back to him.

He must have read my letter by now. He's probably back home, and he probably didn't care about me anymore. But maybe that was for the best, if he didn't cared, because that means he wouldn't have to get hurt.

The sound of running water broke my thoughts, and I shook all the bad feelings that were starting to creep up inside of me. Today, I will be happy, and tomorrow, I will be even more happy. No matter what happens.

Jinri and I rode a bike to get to the flowershop. She let me borrow her brother's, and as we trudged through the luxurious neighborhood, I realized how rich Jinri's family actually is.

All around me there were big houses, big cars, big everything. Even the roads were big. It was like I was in Beverly Hills. I also noticed that Jinri fitted in well with the neighborhood, whereas I look like a bad nut in a container filled with good nuts.

"Good morning!" she greeted the guard in front of the subdivision cheerfully. It bowed to her in return with the same smile. He then turned to me and bowed, and I did the same.

Soon enough, we were out of the subdivision and into the bustling downtown. I widened my eyes as I noticed Jinri slowly letting go of the handles on her bike and stretching her arms wide, basking in the morning air.

"Be careful Jinri!" I exclaimed as I noticed the cars passing by. They were dangerously fast, and I still wasn't used to how koreans drive.

Soon enough, we arrived at the place. It looked like a little victorian house on the outside, and the wooden sign that hang in chains read "Ne Plus Ultra"

"What does that mean?" I asked as I pointed at the sign. Jinri approached me after finishing to park the bicycles.

"It means the most extreme example of its kind. In other words, perfect." she taps me in the back and walks forward.

I, however, was frozen from where I stood. Perfection...... Another thing that reminds me of Jongin. Another thing that reminds me why I came here in the first place.

And then I wondered, why did I even had to do that? Why waste my time coming all the way here, finding a perfect story, when in fact....... what Jongin said was true. Nobody was perfect.

"Soojung? Are you coming in?" Jinri called me by the door, and my thoughts whisked away again.

"Yeah." I smiled to hide the pain. "I'm coming."

Warmth surrounded me as I stepped inside. It was very bright, because the shop was situated where the sun would shine over it as it rises. The big windows provided enough light as they filtered through the store.

It was cozy, and it felt very much like home. And it was big. All around me were different flowers, all wrapped up in colorful paper and ribbons tied around them. I was mesmerized.

"Hello everyone! This is Soojung, she's the sister of my Donghae oppa's girlfriend, and she wants to work here as a flower arranger." Jinri announced. I bowed to them politely, and when I lifted my head, I was met with gazes of surprise. And even I was surprised.

All her workers were male.

"Hello! I'm Luhan!" one guy initiated a conversation. The way he looks and his physique, it matches well with the flowers. It almost felt like he could make flowers grow with just a smile.

"I'm Suho." another one said, and he looked at me with a warm gaze, telling me I was welcome here anytime.

"I'm Chanyeol!" one guy waved enthusiastically. He was very hyper, like he just had his morning coffee, and his smile was wide, I could almost see all his teeth. He looked at the guy beside him, who wasn't looking at me but instead is reading a magazine. When that guy made no offer to greet me, he nudged him hard that he almost fell face first to the ground.

"Ow! What was that for?!" he looked at Chanyeol accussingly, then looked at me as he dusted himself off. Well, more like glared at me.

"Sehun." he just said, and continued back to reading. I looked at Jinri in worry, and she just smiled at me.

"He's very very young, so he has a bit of an attitude problem, right Sehun?" she said as she snatches the magazine away from his hands and raises them midair.

"Hey! Give it back!" he screamed as he tried (and failed) to reach it. Because of Jinri's inexplicable height, it was hard for him to even graze a finger on the magazine.

Jinri finally dropped it back in his hands and I swore I heard him growling at Jinri, but she didn't seem to mind.

"I'm used to him." she said when she noticed my expression. "Come on, I'll show you my pride and joy."

She pulled me towards the back of the store, and I was in a daze as soon as I saw her garden.

It was magical, flowers everywhere, even hanging by the roof of the big greenhouse. There were a few butterflies roaming around, and there were like 50 different types of flowers being grown here.

I breathed a sigh of relief. It was like a dream I never wanna wake up from.

"What's your favorite flower, Soojung?" Jinri asked me as we walked around the garden.

"I liked hydrangeas the most, but I take admiration to the lotus flower."

"Huh? Why?"

"Because even though it grows on mud, it's still as beautiful and pure as ever."

"Oh Soojung, you're so poetic." she replied and placed her arms around my shoulders. "I love hydrangeas too, the pink ones."

Soojung remembered the hydrangeas growing at their backyard. She misses them so much, and they looked amazing when the sun rays hit them.

"In our backyard, we grew orange hydrangeas. They're very rare, and that's why I love them the most."

"Really? That's amazing! You have to show them to me some time! But Soojung, I've always wondered, why did you leave San Diego?" Jinri asked curiously.

I stiffened in posture, not really sure if I should tell her about my condition or not. She seems to have noticed it, because her arm around my shoulder grew tighter.

"Is that a very sensitive question? I'm sorry I didn't mean to pry---"

"No! It's fine." I took a deep breath, finalizing my desicion. I trust Jinri. "I left...... because I have glaucoma."


a/n: ayyyyy this is season 2 of pas de chance! Do you recognize a new character? :)