Happy Tears

The Unreachable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HaeRin's POV

Suzie and I were at the hospital waiting for my first maternity check-up.  Well, to be exact, check-up to confirm whether I was REALLY pregnant.  We were 20 minutes early and Professor An was not back yet.  I wore a mask to cover myself since I was worried that people might recognize me.

"Suzie, I'm so nervous.  Look at my hands!"  I leaned close to her and whispered.  My hands were shaking.  

Suzie held my hands tight and said, "Girl, don't worry!  Everything will be just fine.  Your baby is healthy as a horse, I'm sure.  By the way, where's your fiancé?"

"He wants to come.   His mother and sister offered to come with me as well.  But I refused."

"Why?"  Suzie raised her voice and people around looked up at us.

"Shh...  Keep your voice down!  If they all come, people will find out and the next thing we know we are on the headlines again."

Suzie let out a soft laughed and said, "Girl, either way, you'll make headlines again!"

I threw her a sharp glare and looked away.  I gasped and almost screamed out loud when I saw a man in a woolen hat, disposable mask and glasses walked towards us.  He swept to my side and sat down next to me.   I looked up at him with mouth opened but no sound came out.  He wrapped his arm around me and whispered in my ear, "Do you think people recognize me?"

I let out a sigh and whispered back, "I suggest you sit here and don't speak.  People may recognize your voice for crying out loud.  Arhh...  I told you not to come."

"How could I miss your first maternity checkup?  I want to see my son as well.  Don't worry!  I took a taxi here.  No one here recognizes me YET!"  His eyes smiled proudly.

I shook my head with a smile.  Suzie leaned forward to us and said, "If I knew you'd come, I would have stayed home and sleep."

"You may go now.  Thanks, SuSu!"  He chuckled.  I couldn't help but laugh softly as well.

"Mr. X, no one other than my Dae can call me that!"  Suzie glared at TOP and said.

"Oh, your DAE!  I see."  TOP .  I laughed and playfully hit him on his hand.

Suzie glared at both of us and said, "I'm leaving.  Send me a picture of my godchild later on.  OK?"

I nodded and said, "Thanks, Suzie!"

"Miss Lee?  Professor An will see you now.  This way, please!"  A nurse stepped up to us and said with a warm smile.

I was nervous again all of a sudden.  I grabbed TOP's hand immediately and he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me up on my feet.

"Good Luck!  Fighting!"  Suzie said with a big smile, "Call me!"  I nodded.

"This way, Miss Lee!"  The nurse said.

TOP and I followed the nurse to consultation room.

"Professor An, Miss Lee is here."  I said.

Professor An was a elegant lady in her mid to late fifties, I believed.  Probably similar age with TOP's mother.  She looked at me with a warm and motherly smile which made me felt a little bit calmer.

"Auntie An, how have you been?"  TOP took off his mask and bowed politely to Professor An.

Professor An stood up and stepped up to him, "SeungHyun, you came as well?  I thought HaeRin is coming with her secretary."

"How could I miss her first checkup?"  TOP said with a smile and glanced at me.  I blushed and took off my mask as well.

Professor An took my hands and said to TOP, "Ohh...  You found a beautiful wife.  Our SeungHyun is not only becoming a husband, but a father too, huh?"

TOP scratched his head and blushed as he smiled embarrassedly.

"I'll call you HaeRin.  OK?"  Professor An said.

I nodded with a smile and said, "Yes, of course.  Nice to meet you, Professor An."

"Call me Auntie An.  Sit down first.  SeungHyun, you too.  Sit down."

TOP pulled the chair for me and helped me sat down before he sat beside me.

"So, HyeYun told me that you didn't know you are pregnant until a couple days ago?"  She asked.

I nodded, "Yes.  I didn't know since I had slight bleeding in the past two months.  I had nausea and felt tired in the past month; but I thought it was just because of work.  But the tests...  Is the bleeding normal?  Is our baby alright?"   TOP held my hand tight to give me strength.

Professor An recorded what I said to her in her computer and said, "We'll do an ultrasound test today and confirm if you are really pregnant.   Some women didn't know they were pregnant until their water broke.  As for the bleeding, you said it was slight?  As in a few drops?  Spotting?"

I nodded.

"Did it happen at the time of your normal period only?"

I nodded.

"Did you have any abdominal pain with the bleeding?

I shook my head.

"What colour?  Bright red or brown?"

I looked glanced at TOP and blushed all over.  But he was totally calm and smiled at me as if he didn't hear anything.

"HaeRin, he is your husband now.  There's no need to be embarrassed about anything.  After all, he is the one who's responsible for all these.  So, he should know what you have to bear because of what he did."  Professor An joked a little.

I giggled a little and said, "Red."

She nodded her head and said, "Well, although we still have to do a few tests to be sure, I believe it was just decidual bleeding.  Some women experience slight bleeding early on in the pregnancy.  Normally it's because of hormonal changes.  It shouldn't be a problem.  But we'll find out after the checkup and tests.  We'll do a series of tests today.  We'll check your blood pressure, weight, swelling.  We need to do urine test, blood test, ultrasound test.  When is the first day of your last period?"

I thought for a while and said, "December 17th."

She looked at her calendar and said, "In this case, you are already 12 weeks, going on 13 tomorrow.   The baby will be due September 23.   SeungHyun, help HaeRin to get on the clinic bed and lie down.  Let's do the ultrasound test first."

I was so nervous that my legs were all jelly.  TOP wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me up.  He helped me lay down on clinic bed and kissed me on the forehead, "Don't worry.  I'll be right here, OK?"

I squeezed his hand tight and nodded my head.

"Son, you'll have to step aside and let me through."  Professor An said.  TOP shrugged with a smile and stepped to the end of the bed.  Professor An sat beside the bed and pressed a few buttons on the machine, "Roll up your shirt and pull down your pants a little bit to show your belly to me."

TOP leaned forward immediately and helped me rolled up my shirt.  Professor An glanced at him and teased, "I never imagined the cool T.O.P on stage would be this gentle and caring to his woman."

I blushed hard and pushed away TOP's hand.  Professor An chuckled and said to me, "Let him do it.  His duties as a husband."

TOP smiled and helped me my pants.

*  *  *

TOP's POV

I was quite nervous and excited at the same time.  But I tried my best not to show it on my face since I didn't want to make HaeRin more nervous as she already was.

Auntie An put some gel on HaeRin's belly and rolled the probe on her.  HaeRin turned her head sideways to gaze at the monitor anxiously.  I glanced at her and then looked at the monitor as well.

"Here!"  Auntie An pointed at the monitor.

Both HaeRin and I gasped.

"Congrats!  You really are pregnant.  This is your baby."  Auntie An looked up and said with a smile.

HaeRin gazed at our baby on the monitor and happy tears fell down her cheeks already.  I reached out to grab her hand while my eyes still fixed on the monitor.  She looked up at me and squeezed my hand, "See that?  Our baby.  That's our baby!"  She was excited.

I nodded with a smile and tears wobbled in my eyes too.  I was a father now.  My heart pounded super fast and no words could describe exactly how I felt.  I was just too excited and too overwhelmed with joy that I somehow was stunned and didn't quite know how to react.

"Here, see the fingers?"

Yes.  My baby's tiny fingers.  Tears fell down my cheeks.  I stepped behind Auntie An to have a better view of my baby on the monitor while still held onto HaeRin's hand tight.  It was really an amazing feeling to see the image of my child on that monitor.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter