Coincidence vs Fate

The Unreachable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TOP's POV

I waited and waited for TaeYang to call.  It was already ten o'clock but he never called.  So, I decided to call him instead.

"Hyeong?"

"Home yet?"  I asked.

"No.  I just left.  What's up?"  

"How is she?"  I tried to make it sound as normal and calm as possible.

TaeYang said, "Better now, I think.  She is kind of worried about people would recognize her.  But she seems calm and hasn't cried since we arrived home.  Hyeong, I think it'll be better if you keep your distance for a while."

"What do you mean?"  I had to ask.

"Just give her some time.  She'll come around.  But for now, I think you should just let her be.  By the way, have you heard anything about her ex?"   

I asked, "You know anything about him?"

"Umm...  We were talking about the old days and she told me about it.  My point is, it was not a pleasant memory.  She is not willing to open up herself for love since she finds it difficult to trust man in relationship.  She is scared to take a step further.  Your agressive actions just scared her off even more.  Hyeong, sorry but I have to say, I think she somehow thinks you are not for real and just playing with her.  That's why she is upset about the kiss.  So, just stay away for a while and take it slow."  TaeYang's words hit me straight.  Maybe he just wanted to make it crystal clear that I would have no chance of winning HaeRin's heart back, that I didn't have to waste any time to it anymore.

I hung up without saying goodbye.  I didn't have the mood to listen to his advice, for all the true and good advices were never melodies to the ears.

I didn't know if I could give up so soon.  We didn't even start anything, so it should be easy to put it down.  But I was not ready to let go just yet, for I believed I had already fallen deep.  

*  *  *

Suzie's POV

The launching event was scheduled for the day after tomorrow.  James had taken over the event since he granted HaeRin a week of annual leave.  The staff was all so tensed up as James was extremely demanding and the last minute changes here and there stressed out everyone.

I was extremely busy with the preparation and didn't have time to call HaeRin until very late at night.  She sounded alright on the phone and even asked me if the everything was OK at work.  I asked if she would come to the event to support us but she thought it would not be good idea to do that.  So, I didn't insist.

*  *  *

20 minutes before the launching event.  BigBang would also attend the event as our Company's endorser.  Basically, the rundown of the event would be BigBang posing with the cars for press to take pictures and talking about their preferences in cars, followed by the press interview.

I went to the waiting room to check on BigBang.  They all seemed pretty quiet.

"How's everyone doing today?"  I asked with a smile.

"Hi, Suzie!  We're good.  Is HaeRin nuna coming today?"  DaeSung asked.  

TOP looked up at me instantly and I glanced at him with a smile, "She's not coming today.  She's still taking her leave.  But I talked to her on phone yesterday, she seems alright.  Don't worry!"

"That's good!  She deserves some time off to relax.  Suzie, do keep us posted on Nuna's status."  DaeSung said and I nodded my head with a smile.

GD walked up to me and pulled me aside, "Suzie,  can I talk to you?"

"What's up?"

GD looked quite serious and asked, "Have you guys thought about how to DEAL with the press today?"

I gazed at him and finally realized what he was talking about, "Oh, about that.  We have cut short the press interivew to 5 minutes only.  We also briefed them that we'll only take questions related to today's event and our products.  But you know the press, they are kind of uncontrollable.  So, TOP may need to be prepared.  Should I go talk to him?"

GD shook his head, "No.  It's OK.  He knows what to do."

*  *  *

Part one went smoothly with no hiccups.  All I worried about was Part two, the press interview.

I was right.  The press was really uncontrollable.  My eyes were on TOP every since the press interview started.  He looked pretty calm all along even when they fired the question at him before the interview ended.

"TOP Ssi,  there are quite a number of fan posts on the internet talking about your kissing scene in the commercial.  There are rumors saying that the girl in the commercial was added in the last minute and the kiss was also not planned.  It was actually your idea.  Is that true?"

Before the MC could say anything to stop the question, TOP slowly looked up at the reporter and said with a smile, "Yes, it really was my idea and the outcome is pretty good.  Don't you think so?"

"Many fans are curious about the girl in the commercial.  Some fans are attacking her on the internet because of the kiss.  What do you think about that?  Do you have anything to say to your fans?"  The report threw another follow-up question at TOP.

"The interview time is almost over.  I believe...."  The MC said.

TOP turned to the MC and said, "It's OK.  I'll answer this first."  Everyone looked at him and waited for his answer.

"Erh...  Actually, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any trouble caused to my costar in the commercial and I really hope the discussion will end soon.  All six of us gave our best at the shooting and I personally think the outcome is great.  Frankly speaking, the focus should be on the cars, not on me or the kiss, especially not on my costar.  So, I sincerely hope everyone will like the commercial and support our brand.  Thank you."  TOP nodded his head with a smile.

TaeYang glanced at TOP and joked, "Well, next time when we do a commercial, kiss me then!"  TOP looked at him and couldn't help laughing at his words.  Everyone laughed and clapped their hands.

I had cold-sweat all the time and so worried about what TOP would say.  Lucky that he nailed it alright and the interview ended smoothly.  I wondered if HaeRin was online and saw the newsfeed.

*  *  *

HaeRin's POV

Suzie sent me a few links about the news on the launching event.  All of them were about TOP's response to the question about the scene.  I was quite surprised that he actually apologized in front of the press.  I, at one point, thought of texting him; but I somehow didn't know what to say...

Discussion was once again heated up.  One should never under-estimate the power of mass media.  The fans' criticism and TOP's response at the launching event even earned me appearance on the entertainment news in Korea and as well as in Japan.  Though the e-news was basically reporting the over-reaction of a small number of fans, I was suddenly the discussion topic in town and hit rate of the CF was super high.  My Company was actually quite happy about it since the news somehow attracted more people to our showrooms.  However, it was totally no fun for me.  People had their eyes on me wherever I went and gave me strange looks sometimes.  Some showed their support and some gave me death glares.  Even my parents saw the news in Japan and called to check on me.  They were OK about it and even made fun on me for not having plastic surgery; otherwise, I would look better in the commercial and the fans wouldn't have been that harsh to me.  

I finally decided to visit my parents in Japan for the rest of my holiday.  I didn't inform anybody about it though.  It had been quite a while since the last time I visited my parents.  I missed my parents so much but I just didn't have the time to go visit them.  On the up-side, this incident somehow gave me a chance to see them.

Japan was not much better than Korea.  A few of Japanese fans spotted me at the airport.  Lucky that they were no anti of mine.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have known what to do.

I was finally back at my parents' house.  I missed them so much.  My mom was overwhelmed to see me, since I just arrived at their door without informing them beforehand.

"HaeRin, what exactly happened?  Why were you in the CF in the first place?"  My mom asked while unpacking my stuff.

I glanced at her and said, "Long story!  I'll tell you later on."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter