A Mother's Worries

The Unreachable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TOP's POV

My statement was finally released.  It was more exhausting to write a statement than songs and rap lyrics, for it had to fulfill a number of purposes in one go.  1, to respond to the pictures and rumors.  2, to thank everyone who stood by me.  3, to comfort my fans, as well as to manage their expectations.  4, to assure everyone my enthusiasm towards my job would not be affected.  Last but not least, to make a confession to the woman I loved so much.

It was not easy to include all these messages in one short statement and not to sound too cheesy, too bold or too blunt.  I wanted to convey my deepest and truest thoughts to everyone, especially my fans, yet I didn't want to make anyone feel offended at the same time.  Most of all, I wanted so much to tell the whole world out loud that I was crazily in love with Lee HaeRin as well as to make it the most romantic thing for my woman, as a promise that I would keep with all my might.

JiYong and DaeSung stayed up all night with me as I re-wrote and re-wrote my statement in the conference room at the YG office.  They were supposed to be recording but I pulled them out from the studio to be my audience as I read them my statement.  But it turned out I was not happy with what I wrote and kept fine-tuning it all night.

HaeRin asked me a few times this morning about the details of my statement.  But I wanted her to read it when it was released since she would probably ask me to rewrite it if she found out what I had written.  I knew HaeRin would be very emotional after she read my statement, so I asked Suzie to keep her company.  I never knew Suzie would get all emotional as well.

I received a call from HaeRin's mother not long after the statement was released.  My heart skipped a beat when I saw the caller id on my phone.

"Hello, Mrs. Lee.  How are you?"  I said politely.  JiYong and DaeSung jumped on their feet when they heard who I was talking to.

"SeungHyun, I've read your statement."  Mrs. Lee said.

"Yes, Mrs. Lee."

She didn't respond immediately and my heart pounded faster and faster.  I was very nervous somehow.  Maybe even more nervous than we had BigBang's first debut performance.

I only met HaeRin's parents once in Tokyo.  HaeRin and I were still at the tug-of-war stage at that time.  Mrs. Lee was so friendly and kind to me then.  My first impression to her was pretty good and I somehow thought she liked me and I would have her blessings for dating her daughter.  Until we talked on phone the day we got back from Paris, I finally realized it somehow was not quite as how I thought it would be.

I could still remember every single word she said to me in that telephone conversation...

~Flashback~

"Hello, Mrs. Lee.  This is Choi SeungHyun.  How have you been?" I said politely.

"I'll cut to the point."  Mrs. Lee said.

"Yes, Mrs. Lee."  

"Are you dating my daughter?  Is it true that you both went to Paris and being caught on camera by fans?"  She asked in a flat tone.

"Yes.  It is true, Mrs. Lee."

"My husband and I love HaeRin very much since she is our only child.   All we want for her is to live a happy and simple life.  A life without complications and worries.  Therefore, I want my daughter to find a man who has similar backgrounds with her, so that she can live freely just for who she is and without the need to stress herself to meet others' expectations and standards."

"Yes, of course."  I shivered but I tried so hard not to show it on my face for I didn't want HaeRin to notice it.

"Pardon me from saying this, but I never in my wildest dreams thought my daughter and a celebrity would somehow cross paths and fall in love.  I am not sure how the entertainment business work; but I read and hear things about it everyday.  How the fans are obsessed with their idols and how the idols' other half being abused by fans' criticism.   I don't want my daughter to go through those.  She is too kind-hearted that she would soak herself with everything and won't even say a word about it."

I gasped at her words.  That was exactly what HaeRin did with Bommie Nuna.

"I like you, SeungHyun.  My husband and I both do.  We only met once but I can sense the sophistication in you.  You are well-mannered, polite, educated and funny.  Definitely a charming guy.  I can see that you like HaeRin very much.  I saw that in your eyes.  My husband and I would be very happy to have a son-in-law like you.  But…"

I gasped.

"Your background, your work and your fame are all too much for our HaeRin."

Her every word was like a sharp spear pierced into my heart one by one.

"A trip to Paris.  A simple kiss.  A picture.  Thousands of fans are attacking her as we speak.  It's a similar situation to the tvc incident, except this time the impact is even bigger."

"I'm really sorry about this.  Please accept my deepest apologies."  I didn't know what to say except to apologize.

"I know my daughter well.  She would tell you she's fine and worry about how this would affect you, rather than to think about her own situation."  A mother never failed to see through her child, as if she could actually predict HaeRin's next move.

"I understand it's not your fault.  I'm not blaming you and I'm sorry for being so blunt.  But I hope you can understand a worried mother's heart because HaeRin is our everything."

"Yes, of course I understand."

"I don't want to see her come back home heartbroken again.  It took her years to heal from her previous relationship.  I'm not comparing you to that bastard. I'm sure you won't do anything like that to our HaeRin.  I somehow trust you for that.  But the media, the fans, all the eyes are on her once your name and hers are linked together.  Everyone is watching your move and hers.  She will not be able to live freely as I want her to be."

I gulped.  My heart pounded super hard that it felt like I was about to have a heart attack.

"HaeRin never mentioned anything about her relationship with you.  In fact, she hasn't mentioned you since we last met in Tokyo.  I have no idea she is dating you.  To be honest, if I knew, I would have stopped her."

My heart almost stopped when she said that.

"But now, it seems to be too late to do that.  You two looked so in love in the pictures and I can see that my daughter is happy with you.  That, somehow soothes my worries a little."

I took a deep breath.

"So, my husband and I decided to give you one chance to prove to us that we can trust our daughter to you.  We'll be watching you, SeungHyun.  Your first mission is to fix the current situation.  I would not ask you to make the people stop talking since that would be unreasonable.  But at least, try your best to make sure our HaeRin won't get hurt because of this.  I trust my daughter chose you for a good reason.  She was single all these years and among all those guys who tried to pursue her, she finally opens her heart to you.  That means you should have something inside you that none of them do.  I account that as some quality you and only you have.  So, I'm counting on you to make the right choi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter