Not Seoul Lonely Anymore

Children of the Night

Play, Listen, & Read

 

It was a difficult competition to beat the previous coffee shop that was established in the exact location. We used to order together, latte with extra cream and sugar.
I was complimenting the vibrant flowers, their petals waving towards us, until Yifan hooked his arm into mine. He guided me into the compacted building, of course allowing me to step in first like a gentleman. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee beans and lavender was never a better combination until now. It smelled warm, giving me sweet memories of home. If that was intended, then they knew exactly what they were doing. 
"Here," Yifan pushed out a chair for me. "Order from the menu, I'll be right back." He pointed towards the restrooms before he faded away from my sight. I couldn't help the thoughts of just the two of us sharing one cup of steaming coffee, our lips in contact through the brim of the glass cup. It was becoming temperate in this room- to just barely ponder of him- the walls that were painted to appear spacious felt like closing in and my heart grew with beats. Not once in my life- that was a lie, I couldn't admit it, I thought about him and myself and us together more than a handful of times- have I thought of an intimate moment between us, him and I, he was always chasing after girls out of his league and I could clearly distinguish why. They were slim, fit, and drop-dead gorgeous; it was not that Yifan wasn't handsome enough, trust me he was, it was just that they were just self-absorbed preps that wouldn't spare a glance at anyone. And when they did, their victim would be incinerated by their piercing stares, faces with disgust that could literally murder someone from embarrassment. 
"Decided on what you're getting?" He said as he brushed his hand on my shoulder, his fingertips briefly resting on the middle of my back, passing by to perch on the chair across from me. "The usual?"
"Latte with extra cream and sugar," we stated in unison. Laughter bursted from our side of the shop, us being the only lively spirits in here. Everyone else poked their head from their phones and books to glare at us for enjoying our time. 
One of the waiters ran to serve us immediately, returning with only a fake grin and separate cups. They smelled divine and my stomach rumbled with anticipation for finally consuming after the few hours; I didn't eat much during lunch from the thoughts of papers and esays and assignments to Yifan's budding relationship, how could I? 
After a few moments of silence, the both of us sharing the muffins we ordered- his strawberry and I chose blueberry- the air in my throat became stiff from awkwardness. I didn't know any other way to state the question of his date besides, "So, what's she like?" 
He responded, oblivious of who I was speaking of, then when he remembered that he had a date later on tonight and answered with, "she's beautiful. Really smart, hilarious, and witty." 
I contained all of those characteristics, what else did she and the other girl's he'd dated had that I possibly couldn't have? Athletic? They would be able to basketball together, something I always wanted to attempt with Yifan since it was his favorite sport to play. Sometimes, best friends had to do a hobby of the other, but I acknowledged that it would only bring us closer and the only consequence of the idea was being drenched in sweat; there were many benefits. 
"When are you going out so I know when not to text you?" 
"Right now," he checked his watch. "Don't text to me right now." 
"W-What?" I was puzzled. Did he need to leave now to attend his almost blind date? I was still pondering on the fact that he knew so much about her. 
"This is the date. You're the girl I'm talking about."