Another Weekend with Calculus

Children of the Night
 
Calculus homework again tonight. Great, I was planning to relax and enjoy the quiet of no one in the house. 
Instead of allowing me to complete my assignment in solitude, the sky decided to toss a lightning storm in the weather forecast, just outside of my window. Every time it struck, the impact would quake my insides until I was white, causing my pencil to drag against the paper. Soon, the only writing on my paper were marks of my agitation. 
"I'm not going to get anything done!" I cried in frustration. 
Out of all the days of the week, Friday, before the weekend, before I had some amount freedom, my calculus teacher decided it was the best solution to assign two pages of notes and a packet of endless problems. I had no clue to why I was bumped up a math level, I was dumber than a box of rocks; in math anyways. My strength were science, language, and government, math was just there. It didn't have any purpose for me, the only math I would need to calculate is the basics; for money. Careers such as engineering wasn't in my line of sight for my future, so why educate me on something that I can't use? 
Just as I was preparing to return my focus on the notes, my phone rang, displaying an image of my brother when he was a baby. I attempted to answer the phone without allowing my anger to sound through. 
"Hello?" 
"Jaewa, I can only talk for a minute. We're boarding the plane right now. I love you, please be safe or I'm going to spank your ."
"I love you too," I giggled. "You guys should be safe, tell them I said I love you." 
After those final words, my brother's phone disconnected so it wouldn't interfere with the connections of the plane. Today was the first day that I would be left alone for two weeks and their first day leaving me. My parents could only afford three tickets to Hawaii, I didn't want to be selfish towards my brother because of all the help he has provided me with, so I gave him an opportunity this time. It was the least a younger sibling could do. And home alone watching movies over the weekends seemed wonderful at the time, but resulted being a very gruesome, lonely night. I was not greeted by my brother's welcoming warmth or geeky charms of silliness which I adored. My mother's aroma of her cooking didn't fluctuate through the air and into my bedroom. My father's ruckus over the soccer game didn't echo through the house like usual. There was nothing here that could entertain me anyways. 
"Screw it," I stated as I threw my pencil in protest. "I'll do it tomorrow." The only distraction that came to mind to avert those mind provoking problems was watching TV.
The TV wasn't interesting either, no dramas airing or games to take part in. There was only educational programs that I could care less for at the moment, I needed to distant myself from school for awhile, or until my mind looses the cloudiness. 
"I'll just sleep." 
Shutting my eyes reminded me that I could forget everything and just slip into a dreamland I could control. Everything could alter to my liking, if I didn't like someone, they wouldn't even appear. It was my second world that I found myself more interested in than this one. At least there was no calculus. 
 
Rustling from outside is what woke me up from deep slumber. The rain seemed to die down after I reached the glass door to peek outside for a few seconds; pitch black. 
I slid the door to take a step outside, expecting nothing but a harmless animal to be creating those noises. But they sounded something of a bear's doing. 
"This is freaky," I said under my breath. A feeling of a bad event churned my stomach, nauseating me. There was nothing completely visible in this type of groggy weather so I slid the door to a close, locking the notch. 
I was returning to the couch when I heard the glass shattered and a giant wolf jump through into the house. It large paws pinned my upper arms to the floor, pressing my skin against the shards of glass. 
I screamed helplessly, attempting to this beast off but to my avail, it was stronger than me. I could die right at this spot and this wolf could feed on my remains; fear causing me to panic and a heavy weight in my chest that could sink through the floor. Screaming again seemed to startle it, so in my outside voice, I began screeching to throw it off of focus. I didn't want to die now, not when I was only in my beginning years of high school and had a straightforward future ahead of me. My brother, mother, and father flashed through my mind, I had to bite back from crying. I didn't want to experience the afterlife anytime soon. 
The wolf only found provocation radiating from me, a sign of danger; it snarled and barked at me. It pressed it's claws into my biceps, I shouted through clenched teeth in hopes it would somehow relieve some of the pain of my skin peeling. It hurt more than scraping my skin against the gritty texture of concrete. 
My father left the pistol under the couch that was only a few inches away that I could easily reach, just for situations like this. 
Yeah, a giant wolf can be found in this part of the country. 
Slowly yet gradually, centimeter by centimeter, I extended my forearm to the base of the gun. My fingertips only grazed on the cool metal; I snatched at it in frustration and lack of a straight conscience, I was under it's pressure, his breath basically trickling on me like water. 
Why did I have to get the short genes?