Envy, Envy Baby

Children of the Night

Play, Listen, & Read

The warning bell rang, I was sprinting to my second period class across the campus on the third floor, and the students stopping me on the side inquiring if I was injured or any family member passed away was no aid to being on time. After piling into the class behind the students we labeled as the tardies, the late bell rang subsequently. 

"Jaewa," my piano partner breathed. "I missed you." Yixing, not a guy who would ask about details because he considered it rude and nosy, welcomed me with an arm hooked around my neck. 
"I missed you too. Sorry about leaving you with the majority of the composing." I was about to add it won't ever happen again, but how sure can I be? 
The teacher arrived moments later, with a stack of graded papers and a coffee threatening to spill if he strode any faster, informing that he finished examining the music sheets we were working on. The assignment from two weeks ago, was to compose a simple melody for the theatrical performance coming soon. And once again, the burden returned without mercy. 
"It's fine, where you left off was perfect. I added keys in well, wasn't too hard." 
When the instructor passed out all of the sheets, we were to plug in our headphones to the keyboards and practice. Our sheet had less correction marks than the other students, though it didn't submerge me in the pleasure that it should have if I would've done more work. 
"Let me here it," I whispered while placing a headset. 
Then there it was, the intro was mine, all me, but the second half was utterly a masterminds; Yixing was striving to become a pianist. I appluaded and supported him every step of the way, ever since freshman year- last year- which was our first encounter. His fingers danced on the keys and anyone could tell that he was enjoying this homework assignment, he was a natrual. 
"I messed up a few times," he scolded himself instead of appreciating his little performance. "Sorry-" 
"No, no. It was mindblowing but one thing I would change," I pressed the keys to construct a sturdy chord that would guide the melody more profound. "Then continue it normally." 
"That sounded better, thanks," a slight grin tugged at his lips, exposing his dimples.
The both of us were warming up our fingers by playing beginner songs with each others help with certain keys until someone slammed their palm on the last keys closest to them. I cringed from the unwanted sound, ripping off the earbud to glare at the girl smirking to herself. 
"What do you want?" I snapped. "Don't ever do that again." 
She evilly cackled then exclaimed with a bitter smile, "Oh, I wanted you to know that this," she paused to guesture to Yixing and I. "Won't be happening any longer." 
"He's my partner and you look obviously snuggly with yours." 
"Uh," Yixing broke some of the tension. "What are you talking about?" 
"Don't you remember, baby?" Jessica wore a confused expression. "We're a couple." 
This had to be good, Yixing dating a complete airhead like her. I was dumbfounded at the thought of her even managing to shove her feet in the heels she was wearing, let alone walk in them. No way in hell could he have the slightest interest in her besides her beauty that every boy and girl swooned over. Anyways, I thought she was in a steady relationship with the captain of the soccer team? 
"So yeah, don't get too close," her beam rotted into scowl. "Bye!" She swatted her hair behind her shoulder, kicking one of her legs as she turned to return to the place she belonged and should be glued to. 
"Hey, baby," I mocked her voice while turning to my partner. "What was that about?" I couldn't contain myself any longer and burst into laughter. 
"It was one date." His cheeks burned from humiliation, I couldn't blame him. "She was too perky for me, and plus, she doesn't treat my friends right." 
"Who Jongdae? He's tough enough, he'll live." 
"Not only him but you. She treated you like a peasant that would follow her orders." My heart warmed for some reason, his concern over me created a strong sensation of love and appreciation to surge through me. I acknowledged ever since we met that he was sensitive towards the people he held close to his heart, and I knew without a doubt it was not her. I will fight, tooth and nail, Yixing himself to inflict my opinion that he deserved a genuine girl who would treat him just as he would; every emotion would be reciprocated. 
The bell dismissed us and the next two periods, including study hall, raced against the clock as if there was no tomorrow and we needed to rapidly ditch school today. But I was dandy with that idea. I was exhausted with just listening to the homework assignments and thinking about the other classes yet to come. Basically today was catch-up day, completing due work and greeting friends after what seemed a life time, but really was a handful of wasted days. 
It was lunch, I was a psychotic starving hyena, and I could've sworn if I waited any longer my intestines would begin to consume each other. Not to mention, the lunch lines were excruciatingly lengthy but I was the wise one to spare no time on arriving here which served me a spot in a spot near the front. 
Today, I grabbed two banana milks for Yifan and I, it was our favorite drink to share with each other. It was an ultimate plus that most people craved for a cold late or a flavored sports drink while we remained the five-year olds we were. I spotted him at our usual table, one that could squeeze in four but can comfortable seat two, scanning his phone for any notifications. 
"Hey," he said as soon as he peered up from his flashing screen. "How was your classes?" 
"Stressful, how were yours?"
The forever-cheesy Yifan answered with the same reply as always:"Alright, but it would've been better with you." 
He smirked as his eyes were glued to the beverages on my tray. I would offered him one but knowing that there was no declining with banana milk, I placed it reaching-distance instead. "Thanks." 
"No problem, they were fifty cents off today and I was like what's the occasion?" 
He chuckled before bringing a spoonful of soup to greet his lips. I watched in curiosity while he remained oblivious, feeding himself portions at a time; he was still checking his cellphone. When he coughed, I began consuming lunch myself, I would need it for the rest of the day.  
"Why are you so glued to your phone today?" I slightly pointed my chopsticks at the device in his hand. "You ask out a girl today?" That caught his attention, his eyes gazing into mine and for a second I thought it was too much. Did I something that would tick him off or was offensive? 
"Actually, I did." 
No matter how many times I had to lecture myself that Yifan was a friend and only one, every time he mentioned someone other than me, my heart sunk into the pit of my empty stomach; the butterflies were shot down, stripped of their fluorescent wings. Even if he was speaking of his friends, envy would lightly combust; but the reason still remained unanswered. 
"Do you know her?" 
"More than I know myself," he meekly grinned.