Break Away

Children of the Night

Play, Listen, & Read

I awoken from the irritating sound of my alarm- almost breaking my phone attempting to shut it off- and scratched my head. Last night was a mixture of loss sleep, nightmares, and making trips to the kitchen to freshen myself with a glass of water; sometimes not working. No matter the amount of sleep I was deprived of, I managed to dress in uniform, shove endless papers into my backpack, and head out. I couldn't help but put headphones in and tiredly shuffle to the building where the torture of the week would begin. 
I was listening to slow, rhythmic beats against a guitar until I was caught off guard. "Hey, watch it!" A pedestrian bellowed in my direct. I almost knocked two boxes of donuts to the floor, that would really get my day going better. 
"Sorry," I bowed while rubbing my eyes. "Have a nice day ma'am." But I failed to realize that that was a man. 
With that I left their presence and ventured toward the school. It was extremely early, due to the lack of students crowding outside of the gates, usually puffing smoke and waiting for the arrival of their buddies. This school was certainly not the best, we- as a majority- had the average grade of a C. How pathetic was that? Students in this generation didn't care much about their dim futures, and who was I to blame for that? If they're messing around now, shoveling their own grave, their future was already out of their reach. I imagined their mind-set motto "Why try when we already screwed everything up?" Definitely a saying that matched each of their personas. 
I had looked up to make sure I wouldn't ram into anyone as I changed the songs to shuffle. But I did otherwise. The figure before me towered above, smirking to himself. 
"Sleepy much?" 
"Shut up, Yifan," I whined while rubbing the crust out of my eyes. "I had a rough night." His fingers brushed under my eyes to rid of the particles I missed, just another friendly gesture of his. He led us both up to the second floor where our first period was located; Calculus. I never completed the sheets, hopefully my so-called mother contacted the school for my absences, if not, I would have many zeros to replace the grade I was suppose to earn. But who's fault was it again; the wolves. If none of what happened previous happened, I could be acing my core subjects and be free of worries that tied me so tense; worries if they would capture me yet again. 
"Where were you last week?" he inquired, for once actually being concerned for me. Then it was him being self-absorbed again, "You abandoned me. You're lucky I took notes for you." 
"Yeah, yeah," I waved him off, entering the classroom. I arrived at my assigned desk, it seemed like eternity since I've been back to the typical days. "Thanks." Yifan perched on the chair next to mine- he was my partner no matter how many times I threatened him to move away, it only attracted him more- and dug from his backpack a familiar green notebook. I had been the only other person that acknowledged what it contained besides written work; his imaginations. He drew many forms of different types of creatures, some winged that was supposed to serve as a dragon, and the others appearing to be cuddly. 
"Anything new?" I pondered to myself aloud, searching for the disturbing yet eye-catching sketches.