I Dream of Us

Children of the Night

Play, Listen, & Read

The remainder of our lunch was comprised of the both of us raving about how we wanted to ditch school for the day; more like needed. We required some fresh air, maybe he needed it more than I did. The thought of us driving off in Yifan's car to head to the mall was definitely refreshing and painfully tempting, but it wasn't so pleasant if we were caught by a teacher or security guard. Instead, we complied to just dragging on until we would be set some type of freedom at the sound of the dismissal bell; very limited freedom, we had to endure this tomorrow and all up to graduation day of college. 

"See you for coffee," he reminded again. "Don't forget." 
I nodded my head again, assuring him that it was burned on the back of my eyelids. "See you there." 
I attended to the three classes saved for the end of the day, and it brightened my day; gym, not to thrilled about AP Ethics, then it was off to dance. My partner for the past month has been no other than the kind Zitao. He was popular for his multiple martial arts competitions he attended, but he loosened himself with dance- though his moves were still powerful yet carried such finesse. For a well-known guy around school, he wasn't cocky about his talent, he just picked bones with his flaws, always grunting how he couldn't move the way his body desired. But either way, he was a gentle giant, similar to Yifan. 
"Like this," I demonstrated the choreography just like the instructor taught us. "With that type of force." 
"But wouldn't it be better if it went like," he suggested by jutting his hand a bit further, exaggerating the amount of free space that surrounded him. "With more flow instead of a robot." 
"To be honest, you have a point," I strode over to where my belongings were. My water bottle was shared between the both of us, of course he was waterfalling. I couldn't risk becoming sick from such a simple action. Zitao, after his martial arts training on the weekends, came to school with the sniffles. Maybe it was his immune system or something else. 
"We could start with your move, it would be the start of our freestyle. How about it?" 
"Perfect, now but words to action." 
I followed the routine just as if I was copying exactly then adding some personal flare with Zitao's idea. From there, dancing with our hearts instead of a lesson plan would take off, something more comfortable and refreshing. Hopefully pleasing to the crowd as well. Dance was about having the time of your life by a mixture of yourself in the choreo but it was also strongly about appeal. Cool dance moves, ones that people haven't seen or done a million times, something that would blow their minds. 
The bell rang just as we were finishing up, so it wasn't such a big deal as it was last time I was here; we were about to incorporate our new move until the bell chopped us off. We had to leave since the teacher had an immediate appointment and there wasn't any time to spare for practice, we forgot the move entirely. Thanks instructor for ruining it. 
"I'll see you tomorrow," I waved to Zitao just as he was gathering his equipment. "I'm goning to head out early."
"Do you want me to walk you to Yifan's car?" His offered seemed tempting, to dicuss my rage of the deadline of our routine, but I wanted to greet him alone. 
"It's alright. I have to get there quick, but thanks though." 
I abandoned the room, him being the final student to shut the door. It was a rumor throughout the class that he frequently came to practice either his dancing or martial arts after school that the teacher even gave him a replica of the classroom key. I wouldn't doubt it one bit, the teacher spoke fluent Mandarin and whatever he didn't understand, the teacher would regurgitate it on his native tongue. It was strange, Yifan, Yixing, Luhan, Zitao were Chinese but the other two tranfers weren't; Jongdae and Minseok. The legend behind them was that even though they couldn't speak fluent Chinese, they were rasied in China due to their fathers' company. Another myth I wouldn't yet doubt. 
I sprinted out of the performing arts center, down the hall past the chorus and band room, and out to the student parking lot where Yifan awaited for me in his new car. It was a real beauty, a definite eye-catcher out of the surrounding; Corvette Stingray. They had just began manufacturing them several weeks ago, or that was what he informed me, and that he held a spot to purchase one of the first 500. It seemed a lot of cars but compaired to the majority of the world, seven billion people- more or less- the number could be crushed like a soda can. 
The ink black color of the car shone with the rays of the sun, giving it a mysterious yet attractive tone. My reflection wasn't attractive though. I quickly flattened down my hair before he noticed I was tugging on the door handle. A soft click of the lock, slight pull of the door, and I was in. 
"Hey, sorry I'm late," I placed my backpack on my lap. "I ran here." 
"You're fine, trust me. I know dance is harder than it looks." 
My head crashed against the leather headrest, something that I haven't done in awhile; sitting back and catching my breath. Waiting for the revolving world to just give me even a brief period to recollect and carry myself higher. 
The ignition reveled, the radio sparking with life of a new teenage station, and Yifan began pulling out of the somewhat-vacant lot. Some instructors parked here due to their places in the teacher's parking to be consumed with seniors. It was strange, they should have two separate lots but I didn't rule this school. 
Yifan was singing along to the melody, an artist way to familiar for me; Eddy Kim. The song that was playing, 2 Years Apart, was one of my favorites in his first mini album. I fell head over heels for his velvety voice and the slight strumming of the guitar made me want to be whisked away in a wonderland. But when the song finished, a part of immagination and childishness was ripped out.  
"We're here," Yifan stated once the car died down. "Wake up my queen." 
"Oh, shush. I'm nothing close," I peeped one eye to glance at him. 
"In my eyes, you are." 
My heart melted. The ice that kept some emotions frozen, were swirling with heat. How could he say something so romantic when in all actuality, he was a clumsy doof? He was definitely a million different people merged into one body. 
"You think so?" 
"I know so." 
Attempting to laugh it off, but a snort ruined it. He chuckled, plugging my nose and lecturing it for being adorable. I was oblivious to the multiple shades of deep rose my cheeks turned either from complete humiliation or the distance between us. I have felt this emotion before, experienced it many times with him but I never spoke to anyone about it.