Symptoms

A Foxy Present

 

Jonghyun was sitting in his room, a whole bunch of different sheets in front of him. His oh so precious guitar was placed in his lap and he tapped a rhythm on the light wooden body, bobbing his head and mouthing a lyrics which had come to him over night.

It had been a while since he wrote something and now his inspiration was back. Maybe it was because of Kibum who always managed to warm his heart even after a busy day at the café and lots of work.

“The only medicine is you….

I can’t live if I lose you….”

He mumbled slowly, closing his eyes and thinking about the words. He nodded his head and went on with mumbling the words carefully and figuring out if it sounded good or if he had to change something.

“Like a doll, I get dragged around but in front of you

My breath, my breath, my breath stops…”

Jonghyun nodded and played a few accords on his guitar, writing them down on another sheet. He was quite pleased with his work and smiled. This was one of his masterpieces. Alright he was never completely satisfied but this, what he had in front of him right now, was close to perfect. Maybe not flawless but what song was without flaws anyway?

His stomach roared in protest because he hadn’t eaten anything until now and it was already 1pm. He sighed but didn’t want to leave his spot on the comfortable carpet so he stayed put and ignored the rumbling of his angry stomach that demanded for food.

He was so lost in his work that he almost didn’t hear the soft knock on his door. “Yeam?” he asked, a pen caught in between his teeth and preventing him from speaking normally.

The door opened and Kibum peeked inside the room curiously. He entered and shut the door behind himself, going over to Jonghyun and sitting down in front of him. He placed a tray on the floor which caused the older to look up surprised.

“You haven’t eaten anything so I thought you might be hungry,” Kibum mumbled shyly and Jonghyun smiled at the younger. On the tray was a glass with orange juice and many small sandwiches that were piled up neatly.

“Aww thank you,” the brunette said and leaned over to plant a kiss on the blonde’s cheek. Kibum smiled, happy that he could do something for his Master.

Jonghyun took a bit of one of the sandwiches and hummed at the delicious taste. “You’re the best,” he said in between gulping down and taking the next bite.

Kibum watched for a while before his eyes fell onto the many sheets on the floor. He e around carefully but didn’t know what to do with the strange symbols, lines and letters that jumped into his vision. He crooked his head slightly and looked at the strange thing from different angles but couldn’t figure out how it was supposed to work. Was this some kind of secret language he didn’t know? Waah his Master surely was multitalented.

“These are notes,” Jonghyun spoke up after he had seen the confused expression on the blonde’s face who now looked up at him.

“Notes?” he asked and the older nodded.

“Yeah, they tell you what you have to play on an instrument or in what kind of pitch you have to sing.”

Kibum ahaed and looked at the sheet again. “And how does it work?” he asked curiously, his tail picking up the pace slightly.

Jonghyun chuckled at the younger’s never ending hunger for new information and tried to explain it as simple as possible.

“Well you see those lines here.” Kibum nodded. “And those things here are the notes. Depending on which shape they have they are short or long. If they are on the upper lines they are higher and on the lower ones they are deeper.”

Kibum nodded once again, having understood the basics.

“Well and then it gets into detail. Depending on where the note is located it has a different name and there are major and minor, different keys and so on. It takes a while before you can really do something with this mess of symbols,” he said with a grin, remembering how long it took him before he could read those without too many difficulties and stopping every few seconds but now he was fluent.

“Did you write this?” Kibum asked and pointed at the sheet. Jonghyun nodded and the younger looked at him amazed.

“Really?”

“Yeah and there are lyrics as well.” He gave Kibum another sheet where the lyrics were scribbled down messily. Some words were cancelled, some were squeezed in between others and it didn’t look very professional but he would write it down neatly once he was sure everything was alright.

The blonde read the words and couldn’t believe his Master actually wrote this. It sounded really meaningful and just had a very touching feeling to it but he didn’t know much about songwriting so he didn’t want to say something wrong.

“Can you play it for me?” he asked hopefully, his eyes twinkling and how could Jonghyun or anyone else say no to this expression?

“Sure.” He laid the sheets down in front of him and started striking the first notes.

“It’s a mysterious, no, it’s a strange thing,
it might be a sickness
I have no strength in my body, I can’t control it
These bad symptoms appeared after I met you,
I’m left alone on this black night
(in my room that’s filled with thoughts of you)
I can’t do anything and I draw you out as I am in pain all day
Your indifferent face that I can’t figure out
makes my breath, my breath, my breath stop, oh~

Your cold eyes digs into my heart,
cutting deeply through the center
If I don’t cure this wound, I might die,
I might go crazy, I don’t know what will happen
The sickness that is you, the worse it gets,
the more exhausted I get but the only medicine is you
If I can’t have you, I might die,
I might go crazy, I don’t know what will happen,
the only medicine is you
I can’t live if I lose you~”

He stopped there for now and looked up and Kibum who was gaping at him with big eyes and his ears on full attention, letting them look even bigger than they already were. The right one twitched a few times before he shook his head and blinked to get his thought back together.

“Woah…..you are amazing,” he said awestruck and Jonghyun chuckled.

“Nah, not really.”

“No, no, no you are!” Kibum said, his eyes sparkling and a beautiful smile playing on his lips, the one that let his cute little dimples appear and could lighten up a whole room within the matter of only a few seconds.

“You wanna sing too?” Jonghyun asked and the blonde blinked surprised.

“Me?” he asked unsurely and pointed at himself as if to be sure that he was the one Jonghyun was talking to and not someone else that had sneaked into the room and now stood behind him.

Jonghyun laughed and nodded. “Yeah you. Here, how about this line?”

He showed the younger the line and explained him how he had to sing it.

“You don’t have to do much but at the end you have to get a tad higher to build up some tension, okay?”

Kibum nodded slowly and Jonghyun could see he was still not completely sure what exactly he had to do.

“Here I’ll show it to you one more time.” He grabbed his guitar and started playing the line again.

“Your indifferent face that I can’t figure out- Now you have to get a bit higher for the tension
makes my breath, my breath, my breath stop~ Okay?”

Kibum nodded slowly and Jonghyun smiled at him, ruffling his hair and scratching behind his ears to encourage him.

“Don’t worry, you can do this. I’ll tell you when your part comes.”

He started from the beginning once more and nodded towards Kibum as the line came. It wasn’t difficult to see that he was nervous and shy to sing but he was really good, he got the right feeling for the line and it sounded perfect in Jonghyun’s ear. He grinned proudly and nodded, continuing with the rest of the lyrics.

Once he was finished he placed his guitar aside and grabbed the blonde to pull him in his lap.

“You sure there isn’t a little singer hiding inside of you,” he asked playfully and tickled Kibum’s side.

“Hahaha no…ah stop hahaha,” he gasped and squirmed in the elder’s hold, trying to find a way he could escape but it was hopeless. He struggled and squirmed but nothing helped so he tried the only other strategy that came to his mind.

He turned around with a few struggles and crashed his lips against Jonghyun’s making him freeze for a few seconds before he responded to the kiss.

Kibum’s cheeks flushed in a deep red even though the whole action was rather innocent but he felt still shy about doing things like this.

“Does or little fox need some attention,” Jonghyun asked quietly once he had leaned back and cupped Kibum’s cheek. The younger leaned into the touch and hummed satisfies.

The brunette chuckled and started petting his hair and ran one hand up and down his back. Kibum relaxed after only a few seconds and started drawing random figures on Jonghyun’s chest, looking how the fabric of his shirt wrinkled under his finger as it moved.

“Does the song have a title?” Kibum asked quietly as if not to destroy the peaceful atmosphere.

“Hmm….not yet,” Jonghyun said just as quietly as the other.

“Symptoms.”

“Hm?”

Kibum blushed slightly and averted the elder’s gaze. “I mean it is about the symptoms of a hopeless love, isn’t it?” he asked carefully and Jonghyun was a bit surprised that Kibum had managed to get the meaning of the song. Not that he wanted to say the younger was stupid, oh no but still…

“Yeah you’re right. Symptoms it is then,” he said with a loving smile and went on with scratching behind those fluffy fox ears.

They sat there like this in total silence for at least half an hour before the door suddenly burst open, causing both of them opened their eyes to look at what the heck was going on.

“Jonghyun you’re in charge of making lunch today!” Onew complained and stomped over to Jonghyun, wanting to pull him up to his feet but hadn’t envisaged a little fox that didn’t want to give up his comfortable cuddle buddy.

Kibum’s ears bent back and he hissed at Onew as he wanted to grab Jonghyun. The oldest pulled his hands back and held them up.

“He has to make lunch or we’re all going to starve,” he whined but Kibum wouldn’t have any of that.

He growled dangerously and wouldn’t stop glaring and hissing until Onew had given up. The oldest sighed dramatically.

“Fine,” he muttered in defeat, not wanting to start a fight with a furious fox shapeshifter and tugged out of the room, shutting the door behind him and going on with complaining silently.

“We’re going to starve!” They heard from the other side of the door and after that a loud thud. Yep, Taemin probably fainted just now.

Kibum went back to his cuddle mood and snuggled back into Jonghyun’s chest, mumbling something and pawing at the elder’s hand until it went back to petting his head.

Such a sneaky little fox.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


You wanna know why I updated? Alright then:

It has been exactly half a year since I started this story!

Oh my I never thought I'd write on this for so long but it's one of my favorie stories.....okay it IS my favorite story. Althought sometimes I don't have much inspiration to write a new chapter but I'm always really really happy when I get comments that say how much they like this story. I always get hyper once I see I got new comments

It means a lot to me so keep on writing those sweet comments my lovely Skys!

Love ya all and happy easter in advance <3

Bye bye~

 

Oh and thanks to LittleEgg who gave me this idea for this