What Exactly Is It?

A Foxy Present

 

 

Jonghyun made his way through the snow on the path to the glass doors. It was January and therefore pretty cold outside. His breath formed strange shaped clouds in the cold air like a steam locomotive. He shivered and pulled his jacket closer to his body, wanting to protect himself from the coldness. Once he was inside he sighed satisfied at the warmth and started to climb the stairs. He arrived at his destination, took out his keys and opened the door to the apartment he shared with his friends Onew, Taemin and Minho.

The youngest, Taemin, is the most naïve and joyfully amongst them. He never fails to lift the mood or make the others smile once again with his loving character. You just had to adore him, there was no way around even if he is a bit forgetful sometimes. He loses his cellphone, his clothes, his treasures or his wallet often. Then the others have to help him finding it again.  

Minho, the tallest and seconds youngest, is a quiet person. He likes to talk to people he knows, but feels awkward with small talk. He loves sports and goes to the gym or exercises at home with some smaller equipment he has bought for himself. Jonghyun never saw him snap even once (except for soccer and videogames) and most of the times he is the one who keeps a cool head, always thinking ahead of the others and comes up with a solution.

Onew, the oldest, is the clumsiest person Jonghyun has ever met. He can walk along a straight path with nothing in his way and still manages to trip over a tinny stone or even his own feet. One time he almost sat the kitchen on fire because he wanted to make some fried eggs. They always had an eye on him, just in case he tripped over air again or bumped into some ghost. But even if he was like that, he still had a leader attitude, watching out for his friends and trying to help them as much as he can. He decides things or solves arguments amongst them, always reminding them they were family and not enemies, just because Taemin ate Jonghyun's chocolate.

Well and lastly there is Jonghyun, the second oldest with a passion for music. His guitar is really important to him, although she is already 9 years old. Sometimes he writes songs, but he doesn’t show them to others than his friends. People say he looks like a dinosaur or a puppy…he personally prefers the latter. Well maybe it is because of his eyes, but he doesn’t really care. In contrast to Minho he likes to talk, he gets along with people easily and strikes by them with his humorous personality. He exercises too, but more as a hobby he does if he hasn’t anything else to do.

Well you could say their apartment was a strange combination of guys, but they have been friends since middle school, so they knew each other like themselves. Sure sometimes they wished they never agreed to share an apartment, but you’ll get used to it. Most of the times there were no problems so there was nothing to complain about.

Okay where were we again?

Oh yes: Jonghyun opened the door and threw his keys into the bowl on the stacker. He groaned and bent down to take his shoes off. Today had been hell. He shuffled to the living room and flopped down on the couch where Taemin sat and looked some boring TV show.

“Hey hyung, how was work?” he asked without taking his eyes off the screen.

Jonghyun groaned and massaged his face, trying to chase the sleepiness away but didn't really succeed.

“Horrible, I think I’ve never carried so many tablets.”

Jonghyun worked at a café down the street to gain some money for the rent, food and personal stuff. He took the customer’s orders and made them behind the counter, serving them as soon as he was finished. Not a hard task, right? Well on normal days not, but today had been crazy. The café had been crowded with people, everyone wanting something else and waiting impatiently. Jonghyun’s feet hurt from standing/walking around and his arms from carrying the big tablets packed with coffees hot chocolate and small meals.

“Oh…okay.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, doubting that Taemin had even listened to him.

“Whatever,” he said and stood up to get himself a glass of water in the kitchen. There he stood, gulping down the nice cold liquid and relaxing his sore muscles a bit. Tomorrow was Saturday, so he didn’t have to go to work. He smiled while daydreaming about sleeping until 12pm.

“Hey, Jonghyun,” Onew said as he entered the kitchen and took out some cereals from a cupboard, filling a bowl witht hem, probably his dinner for today.

“Hey.”

“Have had a tiring shift?”

Jonghyun smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I don’t know what happened but the café had been crowded!”

Onew sat down with his bowl and started eating. “Maybe everyone who wanted to celebrate the coming weekend?”

“Sure,” Jonghyun said and grinned, empting his glass with a last gulp. “Is Minho still out for exercising?”

The oldest nodded while chewing. “Yeah, but he should get back here anytime.”

Just after he said that the bell rang. Who the hell was that, ringing at someone’s door at 7 in the evening? Minho should have a key if he didn’t suddenly mutate into Taemin and forgot it. The maknae had already rushed to the door before anyone else had even the chance to, peeking through the hole as his hyungs arrived behind him.

Taemin frowned and opened the door before Jonghyun could ask what was wrong. There was Minho, some snowflakes still in his hair, a scarf tied around his neck and a thick jacket zipped up to the top. He was holding something to his chest but Jonghyun could only make out some yellowish, soft looking fur, before the tallest rushed inside, propping his bag on the way.

He went straight to the living room, not borthering to take off his shoes, with the others trailing behind him. Taemin was the most curious once again and almost climbed onto Minho’s back in attempt to see what the older had brought home with him.

“What is that?” the youngest asked and whined as Minho didn’t answer. He laid the fur ball down on the floor near the fire place so that everyone could see it clearly. The first thing that popped into Jonghyun’s mind was a question mark.

In front of his eyes lay a fox alike looking animal with a bushy tail. The fur on its back was more yellowish while the one on its tummy was almost white and soaked, probably from the snow. Well that was something he had never seen before.

“I picked it up as I walked home. This poor thing lay in the snow, trembling like a leaf. I couldn’t just let it die out there,” Minho finally said and went to take his shoes and coat off.

Taemin had crouched down to inspect the animal further. It was still trembling and its eyes were closed. Minho came back with a thin blanket which he folded and made a bed out of for the animal so it would be more comfortable and warm.

“Well,” Onew said and looked at the now covered fur ball. “What exactly is it?”

Silence…

 

“I don’t know…” said Minho.

“I would say it looks like a fox, but since were in the middle of Seoul, we don’t have any foxes around here. Moreover, I’ve never seen a fox with this kind of fr color…” Jonghyun said and crooked his head to the side.

Everyone stared at the animal, trying to figure out what it was.

“But it’s cute,” Taemin said and petted its head. “Can we keep it?” he asked with sparkling eyes like a little child that was asking for candy.

“Hold on a second, okay?” Onew held up his hands. “First of all we don’t even know what it is. Second, we don’t know what it eats or if it’s dangerous.”

“Pleeeease~ we can figure out what it eats and if it is dangerous it would have bitten Minho while he carried it. Please, please, please. Jonghyun-hyung, you always wanted a pet, right?”

Jonghyun scratched his neck. “Well…yeah, but Onew is right...” He wanted a pet, he really did, but it was all so suddenly. Could they even manage to take care of it?

“Minho,” Taemin whined and turned around to his last hope. The tallest sighed and looked at the animal. “Do you really want to kick it out again and let it die on the streets?” he asked the two older males and Taemin squeaked happily. “He’s right! You can’t be that cruel.”

Onew and Jonghyun looked at each other. He had a point. Onew sighed in defeat. “Okay, it can stay for now…”

“Yay!”

“BUT!”

Taemin looked at the oldest with big eyes.

“If it makes any trouble, we’ll give it away, understood?”

Taemin nodded eagerly, too happy to care about what his hyung had just said.

“Don’t worry little one, we’ll take good care of you.”

Jonghyun smiled and crouched down next to the maknae. The animal sure was adorable and cute; he wouldn’t have had the heart to kick it out on the cruel streets again. He let his hand travel over the fur and it was sooo fluffy he wanted to cuddle it adn never let go again.

 

2o minutes later Jonghyun and Taemin went to the pet shop a few blocks away and bought some basics. The youngest had wanted to by a collar and picked out a pink one while Jonghyun only sighed. They bought a basket, where the animal could sleep in, cat food because they didn’t knew anything else and two toys.

When they arrived home Taemin immediately had to put their new pet in the basket, covering it with the blanket so that it wasn’t cold. It still hadn’t woken up but they didn’t saw any injuries and it breathed calmly so they didn’t worry about its wellbeing.

He also attached the collar around its neck, careful to not to make it too tight.

They all went to bed a few hours later and let the animal sleep in the living room.

 

 

 


First chapter! Yay!

I don't know when I'm going to update again but comments will help

I already have so many view and a few Skys (my subscribers)!

Thank you~

See you soon (hopefully)

Bye