Chocolate Cake

A Foxy Present

 

“Hey Onew what did you get Jonghyun for his birthday?” Minho asked as he came strolling into the kitchen. Kibum looked up from his breakfast curiously, ears pointing up and ready to catch every single word that was said. Jonghyun had left a while ago to go….what was this place called again? Gam? Gim? Gym….yeah that sounded right. He went out and said he would be back in a few hours.

The oldest looked up from the sink and turned to Minho with a grin. “Well I ran around the whole city to find something and the in the last store, of course, I found this video game he had been talking about.”

“Ohh!” Minho sounded like he was amazed and the older smirked like he knew he had something very special for Jonghyun.

“Woah I wanted that game too but if he has it I don’t need to buy it,” the taller said and laughed.

Kibum crooked his head at the conversation. His Master had his birthday soon? And why did they get something for him? Did he need to get something too? But he didn’t have any money and he didn’t know what would be the best for the older.

“Haha you’re mean,” Onew said but grinned and turned back to the dirty dishes in the sink. “And what did you get him?”

“I didn’t really have a good idea this year so I just went to the bookstore and asked the saleswoman for something good. She gave me a book but I forgot the title.”

“I see you really tried to find something good.” Onew chuckled and the amusement was clear in his voice.

“Of course!” Minho said offended like the phrase had hurt his pride but the oldest just snorted.

Kibum still didn’t have his answer about what he should get Jonghyun. He didn’t know if he was allowed to leave to house and how should he do this on his own? He didn’t know where the stores were or where he should get the money. He couldn’t ask Jonghyun for help that much was oblivious.

“Why did you buy something for Jonghyun’s birthday?” Kibum asked quietly. He kind of got used to calling the older by his name now but sometimes he still slipped and called him Master though Jonghyun didn’t seem to mind that.

The two other males in the room turned around to look at the blonde who stared at them with big questioning eyes.

“They are presents for him,” Minho told him but the fox didn’t know what that meant.

“Presents?” Kibum crooked his head and tried to figure out what that meant. Was that something good or bad? Maybe they wanted to play a prank on his Master…or a surprise. He had never heard of presents until now.

“Yeah…don’t you know what presents are?” Onew asked surprised and the fox shook his head. The two brunettes exchanged a glance and Kibum felt stupid for not knowing something like this which seemed to be pretty important.

“You see a present can be everything,” Minho started to explain and the blonde listened carefully. “Like a book, a game, clothes, food or drinks, money….almost everything but it should be something useful or something the other likes. For example if I would give you a dog…”

Kibum scrunched up his nose at the mention of those animals.

“You wouldn’t like that very much, right?” Minho asked and the blonde shook his head. No, he didn’t want a dog around him.

“So it wouldn’t be a good present but if I gave you….let me say…..a colorful ball of wool…”

The fox’s face brightened up and he beamed at the mention of wool.

“You like wool so it would be a good present, got it?”

Kibum nodded quickly, grateful that Minho had explained what a present was.

“So I should get something for Jonghyun too?” he asked excited but it died down as he saw the others’ expressions.

“Errr….” Onew started awkwardly and it looked like he searched for the right words. He didn’t want to disappoint the younger but what could he get for Jonghyun? There was not much he could do and it probably was too complicated for him to go and get something.

“You don’t have to. I’m sure Jonghyun doesn’t expect you to buy him something,” he quickly said and it hurt him as Kibum looked down on the floor, ears flopping down and the smile vanishing completely. He was sure that the dino didn’t expect his precious little Kibum to buy him something but it looked like the blonde took this the wrong way.

“Oh…I see…” he said quietly and stood up, placing his plate and table wear next to the sink and walking out of the room, leaving a slightly depressing atmosphere behind.

Minho scowled at the oldest who looked at him with big eyes.

“What?” he asked like he wanted to defend himself.

“Now you hurt his feelings,” he younger scolded. “You could have said it a bit differently. It sounded like he is to dump to get Jonghyun a present.”

Onew sighed and looked at the water and bubbles in the sink. “But what should I have said? Tell him to go out and buy something for him?”

Minho sighed now too and scratched his neck. “Wouldn’t have worked out either, would it?”

The oldest shook his head. “Not really…maybe we can just say that he helped choosing the gifts?” he suggested but also knew that Kibum wouldn’t want to pretend something like that.

They decided to let it be for now. Maybe they would get an idea later on but they only had today since Jonghyun’s birthday was tomorrow on the 8th of April.

 

Kibum flopped down on the couch and changed into a fox. He always did this whenever he felt a bit down and wanted his peace. He snuggled in the corner of the arm- and backrest and made himself as small as possible.

The TV was running but he didn’t really listen to what the funny little people in the black box said. He rather drowned in his own pity and went on sulking in the corner. Why shouldn’t he get a present for Jonghyun? Wouldn’t that make him happy? He wanted to make his Master happy but he was just a stupid fox that didn’t know anything about human rituals.

He laid his chin on the armrest and stared into the distance, thinking about nothing in particular and listening with only one ear to what the little people in the box said. They blabbed about stuff for kitchens and the living room and the whole house in general. A break was announced and some strange things were jumping over the screen, turning, twisting and flashing in bright color, making the fox dizzy from all those different perspectives.

“You have trouble finding a present for one of your friends?” a voice from the TV asked and Kibum shot up into a sitting position, staring at the black thing wide eyed. Could it read his mind?

“Well you don’t have to worry any longer!” the voice cheered exited. “Cause we have the perfect solution for you. It doesn’t take much time but shows that you thought about the present and it is handmade too.”

Kibum listened carefully, taking in every single information he could use. He didn’t even notice Taemin walking into the room.

“Oh…hey Kibum,” he said but didn’t get an answer from the animal so he shrugged it off and sat down on the couch with the remote in his hand.

“A chocolate cake is the perfect present for everyone. All you need is in the kitchen and you only have to-“

The picture suddenly changed as Taemin changed the channel and Kibum jumped on his paws in surprise, arching his back and hissing at the maknae dangerously. The boy looked at him wide eyed since that had been the first time he had heard Kibum hissing and it didn’t sound friendly at all. But what had he done wrong?

The fox continued to growl at him and Taemin tried to figure out what was wrong. He just wanted to ask as the fluffy ball jumped on him and for a second he thought he could say goodbye to his face but it wasn’t even Kibum’s aim. The fox reached for the remote but couldn’t reach it and rolled over the younger’s legs in a cute clumsy manner.

Taemin crooked a brow and looked at the remote. “You’ve been watching something?” he asked and the fox stopped growling.

“Should I switch back?”

The animal nudged his hand with the remote with his head and he got the message, changing the channel to the previous one where something about a chocolate cake was explained. Kibum immediately froze and focused back on the show.

“You wanna make a chocolate cake?” Taemin asked after some moments and the fox looked like he suddenly got shy and hid behind his paws.

“Aww but that’s cute. Is it a present for Jonghyun?” he asked further and giggled as the fox tried to become even smaller, peeking at him from behind his tail with big round eyes.

“That’s sooo cute!” he squealed and lifted Kibum in his lap, his fur and scratching behind his ears. “Should I help you with that?”

The fox looked like he thought about the idea before he looked up at Taemin and nodded hesitantly. He wanted to do it on his own but knew that he couldn’t and so it was a great idea. He trusted the youngest with the task of helping him.

“Okay then let’s go,” he took the fox and carried him to the kitchen where he changed back into a human.

“I think I have a recipe for a chocolate cake somewhere here,” Taemin mumbled and searched for the piece of paper in different cupboards.

“Do you think he’s going to like it?” Kibum asked shyly and fiddled with the hem of his shirt. He didn’t want to make something his Master wouldn’t like.

“Oh trust me he’s going to love it. He’s crazy for everything that is sweet or has chocolate in it,” the maknae reassured and the fox smiled, glad that he didn’t have to worry about that anymore.

Taemin continued to rummage through the cupboards, mumbling some things under his breath until he ahaed in victory and pulled out a piece of paper with instructions on it.

“Ha, there it is,” he said and read over it quickly. “I think we have everything here…..do you ever make a cake?” He turned to Kibum who shook his head.

“Oh, that’s even better!”

The maknae ran back and forth pulling out all kind of strange things, bowls, eggs, milk, a brown powder, more strange things and powder until he seemed to be satisfied with everything that was riled up on the counter. He nodded his head in approval and waved to fox over to him.

“Okay…” Taemin took one big bowl and placed it in the center of the counter. “This is where all ingredients go in and are getting mixed,” he explained to the fox who listened carefully.

The brunette explained what they would need and how he could measure the ingredients with the help of the scale and a measuring cup. He let Kibum do most of the work because he knew he wanted to make it on his own. He was just there to watch out that there wouldn’t be a chaos.

The cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and sugar were already in the bowl. Now only the flour was left to put in right now. Kibum took the smaller cup and emptied over the bowl which cause a flour explosion and a lot of white fog rose up from the bowl, letting Kibum turn away and sneeze for a couple of times. He had this cute fox sneeze and he dropped on his knees because the sneezes ranked through his whole body, rubbing his nose with the back of his hands like he always did.

Taemin was meanwhile laughing at the disaster, also having a lot of the white powder in his face and hair because he had been standing directly behind the blonde. He watched Kibum making a face because he had a bit of flour in his mouth and laughed even harder. The fox looked at him with a mixture of outing and glaring and Taemin tried to calm down.

“Oh dear…” he gasped, a grin still lingering on his lips. “You have to be careful with flour. It’s just powder and tends to fly around if you’re too hasty.”

“Well thanks for the warning,” Kibum pouted and stood up to shake himself, a white cloud surrounding him. He wasn’t able to get all of it off and some still stuck to his clothes or in his hair but he didn’t care for now.

“Alright we still need to put vinegar, oil and vanilla in,” Taemin announced as he looked over the piece of paper once again.

They went back to work and soon had finished with putting the ingredients together. The maknae took out the mixer and handed it to Kibum who looked at bewildered and almost scared.

“What is that?” he asked quietly as he inspected the strange thing in his hand.

Taemin chuckled lightly. Although Kibum was older than him he could have been a lot younger than him as well. He just acted so innocently and almost clumsily, not knowing what some of the most ordinary things were. He didn’t have a problem with it, oh no, it was cute and he was glad he had someone he could teach something. He had always been the youngest until now but Kibum needed a lot more attention than he did and he felt somewhat proud of guiding him….even if it was just baking.

“It’s a mixer,” he explained but noticed that the fox didn’t know what to do with that information. “We need to mix everything in the bowl and that thing here does it for us. You can’t do it with your hands.”

Kibum nodded slowly and progressed what he was just told. This mixer thingy looked rather strange and he had no idea how to use it but that’s what Taemin was there for. He was grateful that he helped him to bake the cake but didn’t do all the work. He wanted to do it for Jonghyun and it was what he did. It was a lot of fun actually.

“Okay I’ll show you how to do it,” Taemin said and plugged in the tool before sticking it into the bowl and slowly starting to mix everything together. Kibum watched amazed, his eyes big, ears pointed upwards in attention and tail swishing back and forth gracefully. His head turned with the motions of the mixer and Taemin wondered if he didn’t get dizzy.

“You wanna try it?” he asked and the blonde nodded happily, taking the tool out of the brunette’s hand and doing the work himself. It took him some moments until he figured out how to do it but in the end he succeeded without squirting too much of himself or the kitchen.

Taemin let Kibum pour the batter in the round baking dish and smiled as some of it ran over the smaller one’s finger. Without noticing the fox continued with what he was doing and brushed some hair out of his face, smearing the brown over his cheek and the bridge of his nose. The maknae giggled at the adorable scene in front of him and bit his lip as Kibum looked up to him with big eyes and a crooked head.

The brunette just shook his head and took the almost completely empty bowl out of the blonde’s hand and dipped his finger inside, scooping up some of the batter and tasting it.

“Wah I love chocolate cake,” he said dreamily and offered the other the bowl. “You wanna have some too?” he asked and Kibum beamed at him before copying the brunette and tasting the batter too. His eyes went wide at the taste and he gaped at Taemin.

“Tastes good, right?” he asked with a grin and the other nodded furiously, scooping up some more of the delicious mixture.

“Hey don’t eat too much or your tummy is going to hurt,” he scolded but didn’t have the heart to take away the bowl from the happy fox. He shook his head with a sigh and placed the baking dish into the oven and set their egg timer on 30 minutes.

“Thank you Taemin,” Kibum said with a smiled, still holding the bowl like it was some kind of plushie.

The other grinned. “No problem but we need to get you clean again. Come on.” He placed the bowl in the sink and took Kibum’s hand, leading him to the bathroom.

“I’m not going to take a bath,” Kibum said determinate and Taemin chuckled.

“No, don’t worry you don’t have to take one,” he reassured and heard the blonde sighing in relieve.

He took a damp washcloth after he had told Kibum to sit on the toilet seat and gently wiped off the flour and mixture that was still on his face. The blonde’s ears couldn’t decide what to do so one of them was pointed upwards while the other flopped down, not deciding whether he like the treatment or not. He scrunched up his nose and closed his eyes whenever the washcloth came close and his skin went from their usual milky tone to a more reddish one due the warmth.

“There you go, all finished,” Taemin announced and nodded in approval not that the fox was clean again.

“Thank you,” Kibum called and was already out of the door, running towards the kitchen to sit in front of the oven. He couldn’t let the cake be all alone here so he had to stay and keep him company. A sad and lonely cake probably wouldn’t taste that good. His tail thumped against the floor in a steady rhythm and soon the egg timer went off. Taemin came and took the cake out of the oven, an excited Kibum peeking over his shoulder.

“It looks great!” the maknae said and Kibum grinned proudly. Yes, that surely was a good present for Jonghyun.

“We’ll let it cool off for a bit more and after that I’m going to hide it under my bed until tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay,” Kibum said not really listening because he was busy staring at his master piece. Taemin helped him to apply powdered sugar on top of it and went off after that, leaving him and the cake all alone in the kitchen.

The fox laid his chin on the table, staring at the brown cake with a dreamy gaze. It smelled delicious but he couldn’t just eat it. No, no, no it was a present for Jonghyun so he had to stay away from it and protect it from any possible harm. He dozed off slightly after almost 20 minutes of staring. He was half fox after all and they needed more sleep than humans. Okay he didn’t really slept but was in some kind of slumber.

“Woah this cake looks amazing,” he heard someone say and his right ears twitched a few times, trying to find out where exactly that voice was coming from.

“I know, right? Should we eat a piece of it?” another voice asked and Kibum’s brain started to work slowly, processing that words that were just said.

“You think we can?” the first voice asked again.

“Sure why not.”

Kibum slowly blinked his eyes open and the cake was the first that came into his sight. He smiled softly but only then noticed what the voices had said. He jumped up just in time to see Onew and Minho across from him, the older holding a knife and was about to hurt his poor precious cake! No, they weren’t allowed to touch it! That was only for his Master!

He hissed loudly, showing his sharp teeth and leaning over the table, ready to jump at the two criminals. His ears bending back in an aggressive manner. Onew and Minho jumped back with a squeak, actually being scared of the furious little blonde across of them and baking away until a wall prevented them from feeling.

“Don’t you dare to touch it,” Kibum growled lowly and it was almost like a fire was surrounding him, his eyes twinkling dangerously.

“W-w-were so-orry,” Onew said and tried to hide behind Minho who kept trying to hide behind the older.

The fox only continued to growl and barked at the two that screamed and dashed out of the kitchen, running for their lives.

Kibum smiled and laid his chin back on the table.

“Don’t worry cake, I’ll protect you,” he said and send the chocolate cake a reassuring smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 


First of all: I'm so sorry that I didn't update last week but I just had so much to do and I have a phase of busy weekends coming up. I tired to make it up to you with a extra long and hopefully fluffy chapter. Did you like it?

Oh yeah and here is the link to the recipe of the chocolate cake: Moist Chocolate Cake

One of you (I forgot who it was) suggested Kibum making a cake for Jonghyun's birthday and here it is....at least most of it since the rest comes next time but I hope you were satisfied with the outcome.

You can always write a suggestion in the comment section, I won't forget about them and try to realize them somehow but sometimes they don't fit the current storyline and you have to wait for a bit. I hope you can bear with that.

Yeah, yeah I know I'm talking too much

Okay for the last poll: Most of you voted for Jonghyun so I'm now going with that name. But as you probably already read Master isn't compleatly forgotten. I'll try to find a balance between them.

 

New poll~

I think I'm C because I don't know what to think about a "married" Key but of course I'm going to watch the show (first episode is aired around april if I'm not mistaken). I just like him too much and could never miss out something like that. Hopefully we're going to find out a bit more about him.....that sounded creepy

Anyway see you next time

Bye bye~

*chapie is not corrected......like always.....*