Unpleasant gift

Journey to find 'Home'

Yunho see the person and feeling an urge to get away as far as he could. “Let’s talk!” The person says, but Yunho just turning and start walking without saying anything. “Is it that hard to talk to me? You know what I feel about you”. Yunho still ignores him. The person quickens his pace and now standing in front of Yunho; stops him to walk further. “I make a mistake before. I wish to fix it in this chance”

Yunho lets out a disbelieve chuckle. He smirking “You must be kidding, right? It’s not something you can fix forever. Now get off! I’ll be late for work”

The person looks down, he let Yunho passes him. He then says something and makes sure Yunho to hear “I’ll make you mine!” Yunho stops to that rather angry statement. ”I promise”. At the end, they both don’t realize if they have witnesses.

 

 

Yunho get in to café and receives two completely different glares from Donghae and Junsu which makes him automatically stops. “Listen Yunho! You should stop spending your money to us. If you often buy food for us…” Junsu starts and cut by Yunho successfully

“But you come anyway.” Junsu’s face is going red. Yunho then looks at Donghae, tries to read his mind “Do you have anything to say?” with challenging voice, all suspicious.

Donghae hates the tone Yunho used “Nothing. I just want to eat.” Donghae holds whatever in his head.

When Yunho disappear to change uniform, Junsu starts serious talk to Donghae. “I saw them before get here. 100% sure my cousin likes him”

“I think it’s more to obsession” Donghae doesn’t show interest on that topic.

“It’s the same thing. It’s better if Yunho accept him, don’t you think so?” Donghae gives him a boring look. “Oh, come on Donghae! When did you start to be this pessimistic? You were excited about this. Maybe with our little help to meet them, Yunho will start liking him”

“I was excited because if they get together, I’ll get more attention from girls. It’s not like you”

“I just think they’ll feel happy” Junsu sulking. “Come on! Help me!”

“Okay, okay… just don’t regret it okay!”

 

 

After two days of recovery, Changmin goes to the college again. That short time leave both Yunho and Changmin with weird experiences. For Changmin, it’s about Kyuhuyun. As he remembers, since they know each other, Kyuhyun will always accompany Changmin if he sick. It’s not that he didn’t do it anymore. He still comes to the point it’s bother him. Kyuhyun didn’t want to go back to his own apartment at night; he insists to stay over and take care of Changmin even bring extra bed.

Kyuhyun almost ordered dinner before Changmin refused because Yunho cooked. And he kept watching in the kitchen like the younger would put arsenic in the meal. Yunho feels uncomfortable with all staring, even he didn’t show it. Night is the time when Kyuhyun act a little bit better than the noon or evening when Yoona still in the apartment. Only a little bit better because he seemed to have bad mood all day. Yunho didn’t put attention to Changmin at night (except that cooking part).

Jaejoong also visited Changmin at night. He brought vegetables and fruit. He actually wanted to cook some meal for the sick one, but he came a little bit late when Yunho almost finished cooking. Kyuhyun asked Jaejoong to taste the food. He looks at Yunho as asking permission but Yunho let him anyway. “Delicious”, Jaejoong stated, a bit surprised by the taste. Kyuhyun waited for a moment before said “Okay”. Jaejoong frowned in confusion “What is it about?”

“If you are not dying, the meals are okay” Kyuhyun answered.

The one line of answer not only made Jaejoong chokes; it also changed Yunho expression a little like saying ‘This kid’. Yunho prepared all of the meal to one tray, shoved it to Kyuhyun who still has I-am-gonna-kill-you-if-there-is-problem-with-the-meal looks. Yunho took some meal for his own and ignored Jaejoong even the older followed him with his gaze. Yunho used his thumb to point at Changmin’s room, made Jaejoong get his state back. He came to visit Changmin, even with hidden reason also.

He made his way to Changmin’s room. Changmin refused Kyuhyun to feed him. He’s getting much better. “Hey, Changmin? How you doing?” Jaejoong smiles.

“So much better”. Changmin returns the smile.

“I wonder why you didn’t miss my cook anymore. I guess I know the answers already”

“You’ve tried it?” Changmin tilted his head to one side. Yunho didn’t let Donghae to eat, so why now?

“This devil has made me your personal poison tester” Jaejoong pouted while glaring at Kyuhyun.

“There won’t be something like that! God! I eat his cook almost everynight! Maybe he made a lot food. Why don’t you just eat Kyu? Jae?”

“Only if Jaejoong tested them first”

“Do you think you are a king or what? This kid really…”

 

 

“I’m going to take some” Jaejoong said to mute Yunho. “These are delicious“. Jaejoong tried to start conversation. Because of no answers from Yunho, he continues with provocative words, not loud enough for Changmin and Kyuhyun to hear “Your cooking skill has improve a lot”

Yunho smirked then said “As I remember, I only lacked for Korean cuisine”

“Only a little bit worse than me. You make progress” Jaejoong looked at Yunho face, examining the change on his expression, which never happens. “I praise you”

“I don’t know is it something I should happy about. It’s not like we have relation”

“Of course we have” Jaejoong raised his voice a little.

“Really?” Yunho raised one eyebrow. Jaejoong hates it so much.

“I’ll make we have one” Jaejoong promised him. Their eyes meet and silent cover the air. For mere seconds, Jaejoong sure he had melt by those staring, Yunho intense gaze. Those eyes who were shine and bright, now he can only see darkness; invisible wall to cover all emotion. Yunho didn’t seem nervous at all, but he hides his anger deep inside.

“Mind if you bring those to your silly friend?” Yunho asked.

Jaejoong answers as calm as he can, even his voice comes out a bit shaking “No problem at all”

Yunho dropped away his mask once Jaejoong entered Changmin’s room. His expression hardened and he almost lost his appetite. His palms are sweating; he quickly finished his food then locked himself in his room, busying himself. Yunho known Jaejoong leaves, he also knew that the older wanted to knock on his door. But instead, he slipped a brown envelope through a small gap under the door.

 

 

 

When morning comes, Yunho still had to face Kyuhyun who still can’t believe with the cooking. He asked Yunho to taste in front of him. Changmin rolled up his eyes. “I can’t believe it” Changmin stated.

“Why don’t you cook for him?” Yunho dared Kyuhyun. Changmin laughed instantly

“No, don’t! He can’t cook. He can be good at math or English but cook? Zero! He’s not only turn kitchen into a big mess. He also can kill peoples with his cook” Changmin said like Kyuhyun wasn’t there with them.

“Shut up!” Kyuhyun look at other direction, hiding his embarrassment.

Changmin saw smile on Yunho lips by the corner of his eyes. And Changmin skipped a beat. That smile so genuine and bright, like a morning sun. He thought he must be hallucinating.

 

 

 

Yunho still hasn’t opens the envelope Jaejoong gives the night before. Even so he brings it with him anywhere, afraid if it comes to someone else hand no matter if he doesn’t know what it fill. He still hesitates to open it. During the lunch break, a text message comes to Yunho’s phone. A simple asks. Short text. No number but he doesn’t need it to know who sends it ‘Have you open it?’

Yunho decides to answer it without much hesitates. A simple word ‘No’

And a reply comes in a few seconds ‘Better you not lose it. Open it in secrecy or you’ll regret’

‘Regret’ that word keep playing in Yunho’s mind. ‘It must be bad. No! It must beyond bad’ Yunho thought. He keeps his face calm and passes the day like nothing happen. He hates that word.

He probably regrets bringing that envelope with him, because he can’t get rid of that thing from his mind during working. He locked it along with his bags in his locker, but still he afraid if someone open the locker. It never happens, though. Jaejoong visits the café and whisper to Yunho when the younger pass his table “have you open it?”

“No”

“I see” Jaejoong answers and after 10 minutes, he leaves. He leaves when Donghae, Junsu and Hanggeng come in, makes Yunho asks them “Are you really likes this café or you had nothing to do?”

“Actually, I looking the opportunity to get free snack” Donghae bluntly answers.

“And asks you about assignment.” Junsu low his head in embarrassment. Yunho will help them no matter what, but Junsu knows he shouldn’t depend on Yunho like this; especially when he working.

Yunho doesn’t smile or laugh or showing any change on his emotion. Instead, he asks their order.

“Hey, Yunho! What’s Jaejoong-hyung doing here?” Junsu asks him out of blue

“Eat cake and drink coffee”

“Nothing else?” he still very curious looking for signs. Yunho shakes his head a bit. Even in his head he thinks ‘Actually he comes to disturbs me like it’s all what he good at’

“Will you treat us today?” Donghae asks while giving puppy eyes beam

“No.” Yunho answers calmly

 

 

After his work hour, Yunho open the envelopes in restroom, so quiet since no one there. It contains only one picture. One picture he has practically guessed since he got it. He refuses for this long to open it just because he known it contains what he afraid of. There is something written too. ‘I have a lot’s more’. Bloods rushed to Yunho’s eyes as it become redder. Unconsciously, he squeezes the envelope and whatever it fills. His knuckle become white and he swear. If he doesn’t remember where he is right now, he would destroy that place. Instead, he controls his breathing and pulse; calming himself with his best. “You think you already win?” He says to no one, smirking in evil way to his own reflection. He put on his stoic mask and leaves.

His way to his shared apartment never feels this uneasy. All the way he feels someone watching or stalking him. It probably true despite of Jaejoong’s obsession on him. Why it should be him he doesn’t understand. But he knows it will be a duel from now on; a duel between him and Jaejoong.

Yunho calls Jaejoong when he reaches an almost empty public garden. Not many people, but they all put on ignorant to Yunho presence, its public area anyway. No greeting from both end of line. It’s to the point; both parties. “I can say you’ve open it”

“Why you think I would call you for say ‘hello’”

“No. absolutely it won’t happen even I pretty much imagine it”

“It’s not about money, isn’t it? Expecting something else” Yunho sounds confidence, he has to sounds like that.

“I want to take it a little slowly.” Jaejoong gives more pressure when he says the last word.

“I see. So I guess I can sleep well tonight”

“I guess” Jaehoong knuckles become white by his fist. He can’t wonder why Yunho can stay calm, but he thinks the younger must be shakes deep inside. It just masks, a cover to his anger. He feels one step forward. “You know I have more” Jaejoong says like trying to add salt on an open wound.

“I already guess it. But your aesthetic is not that good. Ugly, I can say”

“Probably, but the model is flawless. It’s the highlight of the photo”

“It’s will be different if taken now”

Jaejoong swallows “I’ve to admit I’m imagining it”

“Even you get your wish like what you’ve said that night in my apartment; you won’t get the same view.” Yunho practically sounds challenging Jaejoong. He has practice; at least in few times he has imagining facing him. Soon or later since he knew he is in the same university as Jaejoong, he has to face him; it only a matter of time. Sounds rude is part of his plan. He can’t look weak. And yes, he plan to win. He has to win. He needs to win.

“I never thought you are.”

“Oh really? Thank you anyway”

“That’s it for now” Jaejoong hopes a reply from Yunho before he says goodbye. It is not like what he hopes for, unfortunately. The younger and angry has cut the line because he can’t stand for hearing Jaejoong voices a few more words. Or maybe it has planed. Few blocks away from his place, Jaejoong is holding his phone tightly, feel the mixed of every possible emotion; slight of anger, happiness, excite, hesitation and sadness.

 

 

Yunho enters his shared apartment with the sight of Changmin says all sweet word to whoever he calls, the biggest probabilities and maybe the only one possible is Yoona, his girlfriend. Not that sweet, Yunho thinks since he heared sweet words being said near him almost every single day, but he really chose his words carefully. Changmin sees Yoona comes back, only a slight of glance and Yunho completely careless of whatever Changmin does. Even so, Changmin suddenly feels uneasy and bid goodbye.

“You’ve back” obvious answers, no need to reply.

“Huh?” he looks blank but quickly collects his composure

“You don’t feeling well?”

“It’s not bad. What you want to eat?”

“I eat anything you cook for me”, Changmin answers. In less than 5 minutes, Yunho has standing in the kitchen. He busied himself to distract away the thought about his upcoming war. It works, but only until he finish prepare the food on the table with Changmin help. He sort of losing his appetite, still can’t make it suspicious to Changmin, he eat.

“Sorry” Changmin starts talking in low voice; their usually plain dinner talk.

Yunho looks at Changmin with questioning look, even he also looks trying to reminds what kind of mistakes the older probably did in their very short meeting intensity. “What?” sounds like he sure he misheard.

“Kyuhyun has gives you trouble” now the older heard like he just want to clarify the night before.

“Oh, it’s nothing”

“You don’t think there’s something between us?” Changmin hesitates, he almost whispers.

“Friend? Best friend? Cousin perhaps?” Yunho answers like giving suggestion “I’ve cousins who can act exactly like him.”

“Really?” Changmin almost can’t believe what he heard. Maybe Yunho only tells lies to comfort him

“I think they can be worse. You know… more possessive and sometimes they can be extremely annoying”

“Are they more possessive than a girlfriend? I think Kyuhyun is annoying enough”

“I’ve experienced something worse. And yes, even to my previous girlfriend.”

“… Well, so it must be hard for girl” Yunho nods in agreement. He enjoys this talk, think of it as a good distraction about his previous-but-just-comes problem. He doesn’t want to think about it now. But on the other hand, Changmin thinks this talk-time made a progress. It has differences to their usual because Yunho looks more open, just a little. There’s a small hint of emotion too, and that’s good.

“I need to show who the boss is” Yunho words makes Changmin’s stunned, and then laughs in next seconds. He almost chokes by himself. Yunho flushed a bit, only a little it barely visible. “What?” Yunho asks, he sure he didn’t say anything funny.

“I don’t know you can be like this. You’re so close to your cousins, I guess. Are you the same age?” Changmin asks while holding his laughter, which very hard to do.

“Yeah, I’m the oldest anyway. But sometimes they like to baby me. Seriously, I’m not only capable to look after myself”

“I know” Changmin smiles “Trust me, I know” Yunho watch Changmin’s face seriously, maybe too serious he forget to blink. Not the fall-in-love type staring. He only wonder how comes he ended here, in an apartment with someone who actually different compared to him, except for their tall, which is not much different. “But they are not here, why don’t try to have relationship?” Changmin asks still left a hint of smile

Yunho snapped from his staring “Yeah, they are not here”

“No one attracts you? There are thousand girls in our university”

“I’m probably will have one soon” Yunho mumbles to himself, and Changmin can only hear word ‘probably’ an ‘soon’ Yunho doesn’t try to fix his mumbling word. “I forbid them to go to the same university as mine. I didn’t even tell them before. And they sort of upset and disappoint and such, act childish and whining all day”

“I don’t know if it resembles ‘spoil’”

exaggerated” Stern voice but he pouts a bit at the end, unconsciously. Changmin silently smiling of what he sees. Maybe Yunho has trust him more.

“You guys must be very close.”

“We grow together. Then something happened and we’ve to separate.”