Parent’s visit

Journey to find 'Home'

“I have a message from your parents. I mean your uncle and aunt” Sukjin tells Yunho in the middle of working. His weekend job. And suddenly Yunho stops. It’s important for him. Even they can just text him or call him, a message that passed from someone else is interest him. “Eat well; sleep well, more smiles and laughs. We will visit you soon and we don’t care if you hate to skip. Just skip whatever! Well, that what they said” Sukjin is reading his note carefully. He doesn’t want to get scolded if he delivers the message wrongly.

“Sure I’ll skip anything for them.” He said to Sukjin even the older can’t respond to that statement.

The door abruptly opened.

“Nah, you’ve said that! Let’s go now!” his aunt and uncle comes to the room and hurriedly hugging the still dumbfounded Yunho.

“Wait! I thought you’ll come on work day” Yunho protesting but still let his aunt hug him and kiss him.

“Why work day? Your work day is 7 days, right?” his uncle answers smartly.

“Well… that’s… sure” can’t reply with something good.

“So? Come on! I want to see this town” his aunt grabs his hand, lead him out. She not only misses Yunho but also this town.

“Wa… wait!” Yunho is so unprepared for this. They leave Sukjin to work alone.

“Stop working! You need to relax. Looks at dark circle under your eyes! You get nightmare again, baby?” his aunts ask while caressing his eye bag. She looks at Yunho with so much worry.

“Contrary to that, I think you gain weight?” his uncles not sure, pinching his upper arm to check. “I hear you eat better these days”

“Well, sort of.” Yunho lets his uncle pinching his cheeks now.

“I’m happy, you know? How come our sons have grown differently?” The older male gave him a bit sad eyes, and it built guilty in Yunho’s heart. He’s talking about him and his cousin.

“He’s not come with you? So I can have you for my own?” Yunho tries to tease them. His uncle and aunt have taken care of him since the day he born and they more feels like family compared to Yunho’s real parents. He calls them Mom and Dad. And they can’t feel happier to have Yunho as their child, even they already have. In fact, Yunho and his cousin are like twin. There are some incident in Yunho’s past, and it make big differences between him and his cousin even they should be similar one another. Long before, when Yunho was still 7 years old there is something happened and that makes Yunho gots numb like a lifeless doll and also got amnesia. Not that he forget everything, but there is part of his life he can’t really remember. The amnesia has made Yunho and his cousin to grow diferently. There was a treatment to help Yunho recover from his numb state, but after that the memories of the before the incident until couples months after seems erased from Yunho’s head.

The incident happened 5 years ago has made him remember that part of his life he forgot, thought. Not all, he still doesn’t remember what actually happen, especially on his recovery treatment. He’s never telling this to anyone for 5 years, until last week when his pschyciatrist visited him.

Yunho can’t say much about his parent, he simply doesn’t know. He doesn’t know where they are, how they doing etc except that they still alive. He doesn’t want to know much, maybe that’s only anger and disappointment toward his real parent. They abandoned him, so he loves his uncle and aunt like a son loves his parents. He is even still unconscious about his family name sometimes.

“All day long of course. But first, let’s change your clothes!” Actually nothing’s wrong with Yunho’s. He wears blue jeans with black polo shirt and non minus glasses. But since his aunt is a fashion-maniac, and also work on that field, she can be very persistence about clothes. All Yunho can do is just obey. 15 minutes later, he has wears a white v neck t shirt, a rolled up sleeves blue jean jacket, matching jeans and shades. And he changes from this study-freak look to a very stylish cool model. He has height, look and manner.

 

“Dad? You don’t go with us?” Yunho asks, like seriously? After months they didn’t meet. He misses his Dad quite a lot.

“I’ll join you at lunch. There are things I want to discuss with your grandfather.” His uncle tells him “Just take care of your Mom!” At that time, Yunho smells something fishy. But he can’t do anything with his so called Mom, pulling him to car.

“Yunho! Stop leaving your mind in your office!” She slaps Yunho’s upper arm.

“Ah, sorry Mom. I’m just… never mind. Where do you want to go my lovely mother?” He’ll hold back that feels for his mother and forces himself to give her a smile.

All day, Yunho accompany his ‘Mom’ everywhere she wants. Mostly she wants to shop, looking around and Yunho gladly having his aunt for his own. Not that he dislike to share with his cousin, sometimes he likes it this way. Even he has to admit that he dislike to go on crowd area. At least he feels calmer with her Mom besides him. They walk with arm linked, with smile (not that much on Yunho’s face), sometimes giggle and if people see, they might misunderstand them. But for two of them, they don’t feel anything wrong. Different country different culture.

 

 

When lunch comes, his uncle joins them like he promised and they eat in a restaurant. They seated near the window, the garden is beautiful. Yunho has been forced to tell about his college life. “Nothing interesting” Yunho says. He is not interested at all.

“Then why don’t you quit?” His Mom challenges him.

“Why should I? I try to have interaction with peoples in same age. Why it should be interesting?” Yunho has innocent expression on his face. That expression just mirroring what he really feels.

“Your dad and mom has a lots memories in college, you should have too” His Dad explain to him what they wanted. But Yunho frowns, he doesn’t understand “Such as?” he asks.

“Girlfriend?” It sounds like suggest, but they just want to point that to their clueless son. They met in college after all.

“Nope” Yunho has tells Sora to make sure no one of his family knows about Jaejoong; and no one knows. His grandfather thinks that he can use Sora it won’t work as he wished. Sora obeys him more than that old man. But he is not lying he has no girlfriend, only a feminine looked boyfriend. That he honesty hates.

No means no for Yunho. If he says no girlfriend, it means you can’t hear about any girl at all. So it’s useless to dig more. “Then tell us about your roommate. I heard he takes economy? You can suggest some jobs to him. I’ve connection” His Dad speaks.

“Why?” Yunho sees there is nothing important on telling them about Changmin. Both of the older wants some story from Yunho, and he can only sigh before tells them about his roommate. He doesn’t want to disappoint them, two pair of eyes that is so demanding. “His family has business he will run someday. He is tall, polite and he has amazing appetite.”

“Fatty?” the aunt asks, frowning.

Yunho shakes his head. “No, he surprisingly has good body. I wonder where that entire food going, but I think he work out too. And he uses his brain quite a lot. Assignment, he also join college journalist or whatever is it. Besides he wants to graduate soon. He really work hard”

“Is he handsome?”

Yunho confuses with this question, like seriously, why should they care about his looks? He thinks it’s enough if they know Changmin is a good people. “Well, I guess yes. He’s maybe attractive”

“He has girlfriend or boyfriend?”

Where all of these questions lead, Yunho can’t get it. “Girlfriend. I ever see her few times; she also comes to my apartment”

“…” and the couple face suddenly looks disappointed at same time, what a perfect match. Yunho sometimes think his Mom and Dad are twins that born from different mother.

“Why? Don’t scare me!” His parents can give him heart attack sometimes.

His Dad gain himself faster “He cooks for you? Like makes ramyun or something like that?”

“He makes something better, but since he is busy, I do the cooking. And since he knows I can cook better than him, he sort of… I must be heard too confident but he gets addicted to my cooking. Never complains at dinner.” Besides, he can cook anything he wants, Changmin is not picky.

“You eat together?” this fact has makes the couple looks brighter and confuses at same time.

“Honesty he forces me to always eat dinner. It must be his routine with his past roommate. First day I lived there, he knocked my room for dinner. Almost every night we eat together, except if I go home late. He… rarely… no, wait! He eats even after dating.” Yunho remember it quite blurry.

“We should thank him for caring about our son health, don’t you think so darling?” She speaks to her lovely husband.

“Yeah, he really health conscious person” Yunho admit, remembering last week when Changmin forced him to have breakfast. “Sometimes he can be scary and I can’t say anything.”

And his uncle and aunt has to hold their laugh, they would burst into laughter if they forget where are they now, “Finally, someone tame this tiger” His aunt looks very happy, some chuckles escapes.

“Right, darling. This super stubborn vampire prince has lose”

“What am I losing?” Yunho doesn’t understand; looks so innocent and dumbfounded.

His uncle sigh, tries his best to pushes the laugh away “You always stubborn and this person you know for few months can force you to eat. Even WE can’t do it” And Yunho finally realizes, how he usually skip eating. No one can make him eat like Changmin does. Usually they can only force Yunho after some threatening. He has purpose on his lack of eating and Changmin has ruined it all. No worry actually, Yunho decide it’ll better to live like this for some time. He has something to deal.

“So it’s good?” Yunho asks out of blue, “Well, only when I’m here” he shrugged.

“Even if you’re out from that college, you still need to eat. If I know it will happen, I’ll let you enter this college earlier” The woman says. Of course she is not the only one hates the idea Yunho go to college.

“Which is impossible.” He wouldn’t share apartment with Changmin if he entered college a year earlier or later. “Please stay away from my college life. I don’t like your interfere. Last time you sent my psychiatrist I have to be honest that I don’t like it. You don’t trust me?”

“We trust you baby. We just worry.”

Yunho leans his cheek on his knuckles, pouting. “I’ve promised I’ll be fine. It’s unfair! You let him to go to Australia to see his girlfriend but you not letting me to go to college in Korea easily” He tries to protesting by compares him to his cousin; their real son.

“That’s different. He only went there for a week. How come we let our son here in Korea alone? For months or maybe years? And can you mention how many ‘dangerous’ thing he done? You did much more dangerous things” They’re not going to mention about 6 months that Yunho spent in Korea when he was 13, don’t want to bring any bad memories to their lovely son.

“I didn’t” Yunho says, innocently.

The couple rolls their eyes. “Really?” The older man asks him, Yunho nods, so sure about it. “You let your teacher to throwed dagger to you”

“Dad. He shown me the way he throwed it. He wasn’t throwed it to me.” Yunho remember he asked to stand on the wood wall risking his life if one of the sharp objects made hole on his body, the dagger never touched him, and he was in awe by that.

“You get shooted!”

“It was paintball!”

“But you learnt shooting with variety gun”

“I shoot target”

“You’re not only learnt that” Yunho and his Dad is like doing a staring contest. That’s true that Yunho wasn’t only learnt shoot a target or throwing dagger. He has ex military as trainer. He is not letting his cousin to train like him, because he has not much free time like him and because the train is so hard. His uncle always worries about Yunho more than his own son; especially since he was the one who permitted Yunho to do all of that. He is sometimes still unsure if he made good decision or not, because this son is special.

He wasn’t get formal education like his cousin got. When he was 8, while his cousin heard the word herpetology for the first time, Yunho learnt that it’s okay to scream if there is a snake, because that reptile is practically deaf and that baby crocodile can bite, and is so cute he couldn’t resist carrying them. Too bad his cousin doesn’t like (Yunho swears his cousin is scare of) reptiles, so he can’t raise one of them. Of course that time he already erased crocodile as a pet candidate, he just wanted an iguana, but still his cousin hate the idea. They’re growth as twin. The proofs are they’re equal in politeness and kindness. The differences lay on their interest and education. Yunho also is more rebelling but trustworthy at same time. There shouldn’t be worry but as a parent, it just natural.

“That’s enough, gentleman.” The woman changes the topic. Her husband always focuses on Yunho’s education than his cousin. Even so, the love he given to both of them is equal. They never divide their love between their sons, they multiply it so each get the same love. ” She said you’re doing great.” It’s about the consultation Yunho done with his psychiatrist.

“I promise I didn’t bribe her”

“We know, don’t worry. We’ve talked about it. If this is really made good progress to you, we wouldn’t mind to wait for 3 and half year till you graduate or until you bored with college things and leave. Of course you have to go home at holidays, and calls everyweek… But don’t you think we have to thanks that young man?” his aunt tells her husband who smiles in return.

Yunho quickly finds that words are lead to something he doesn’t want to happen. “Mom. We have a deal, right? You don’t need to do it. If you still want it, do it when I’m out, not now.” Yunho voice is quite stern even he’s talk to them. “Don’t make it a reason to visit my apartment” He knows exactly what they want. To see by themselves how their son lives and how his roommate looks.

“Ah, he caught us. But that apartment is small, isn’t it?” Yunho stern voice never scared them.

Yunho quickly back to his normal clueless state “Not big but it’s enough”

“Your room is bigger than your room now”

“I ever have smaller one. Besides, I never really have a room.” His cousin likes to sleep with him. Not just in one room, but in same bed. They used to share a room since they born, but Yunho doesn’t sure since when they sleeps in a bed or how there was only one bed in their room.

“It sharing”, his aunt smiles. Well, Yunho can’t agree more. “The smaller room you mentioned before must be the one in hospital”

“It felt like another bedroom to me. I often got hurt” he shrugged.

“That’s why we really worry when you tell us you want to live alone when you are in college. But you didn’t have hurt, did you?” the only woman looks at him with suspicious eyes.

“No. See, no new scar” Yunho show his hands. Like it’s enough to makes they stop worrying him.

The older man finds a way to cover this up “Just let us treat him something okay? Pizza?” He is not mad at his son.

After thinking for some time, Yunho agrees “Okay. Two large pizzas”

 

 

 

Yunho comes back at night with two large pizzas in his hand. And Changmin surprised with that things. “You tell me you need to earn money, don’t waste them easily!”

“It’s a treat from my parents, uh, my uncle and aunt. They insisted I have to bring this, I don’t know what the topping tough.” Changmin caught the corrected phrase on Yunho’s words. Yunho corrected ‘parents’ to ‘uncle and aunt’. What’s wrong with his parents? Changmin questioning silently in his mind “You want to eat now? It’s still quite warm”

“Sure” Changmin smiles. He then notices something change on Yunho’s outfit. He doesn’t wear the same outfit like this morning; totally change. Wait, what? Why he looks so… Changmin can’t find a right word in his mind. But he thinks he need a cool water; cooling the heat that build from nowhere. Unconsciously, Changmin’s eyes follow Yunho. The younger put the pizza on the table and make drinks in the kitchen.

“I don’t know will you like this one” Yunho tells Changmin and that time the older comes back to earth.

“Huh? What?”

“Did you spacing out?” Yunho’s corner lips curl a little and he handed the glass to Changmin.

“What’s this?” He looks at the glass in his hand. It feels cold in his hand, he can see strawberries slices, its right that Yunho loves that fruit. This is very good, because he needs this to cool down that strange heat.

“Ng, mint, strawberries, honey and tea?”

 

 

Changmin slowly feels depressed. When he is in his college with his friends, his friends usually teases Jaejoong about Yunho and Jaejoong talks like he really happy to have Yunho as boyfriend. Changmin imagining Yunho and Jaejoong in private, thing which is impossible to be happened since Yunho almost has no free time. And when that thing pops up in his mind, he knows something wrong with his mind. He starts thinking to see psychiatrist.

And the peak is when Changmin passes the café Yunho work at. He is going to buy something but he stops because he sees Yunho near the café with someone. It’s already night and Yunho’s shift should be over. But instead goes home, Yunho looks a little upset. Changmin can’t hear what Yunho and the shorter one talks about but it seems that the shorter one has makes Yunho upset. But besides that, Yunho shows his caring to the shorter. He put off his jacket and makes the shorter wear it. Yunho also framing the shorter face, like tries to warm those cold cheeks.

After few minutes, a taxi stops in front of them and Yunho opens the door, commanding the shorter to get in. The shorter seems to refuse it and Yunho kiss his cheek to makes him get it to the car. Changmin’s heart burned. He ever heard about Yunho and Jaejoong kissed in the café but just now he sees Yunho kiss someone in public. Even it was only on the cheek, it feels so wrong.

After the taxi lost from Yunho’s sight, he goes to opposite direction. ‘Where is he going?’ Changmin asks to no one. Yunho should feel cold, but he doesn’t seem to feel that. Changmin hurriedly goes back, forgetting the things he is about to buy, anyway it was only an excuse to pass Yunho’s workplace. Why again he wanted to pass that café? He is also not sure about it.

Yunho comes back bringing something that he hurriedly put in his room. He then cooks even he is not seeing Changmin. The older locks himself in his room. Yunho only calls him when the food is ready, and Changmin is surprised knowing the food. It isn’t Korean but spaghetti with olive and mint pesto and also chicken skewer. Changmin eat two portion of pasta.

After eating, Changmin asks Yunho about Jaejoong. Yunho doesn’t show interest at all. And Changmin suddenly says “You shouldn’t cheat!” It makes Yunho confuses because even he is not likes Jaejoong, he doesn’t cheat to anyone. And Changmin doesn’t say anything again to Yunho till the morning comes.

Changmin embarrassed by his own words he told Yunho before. He thinks he shouldn’t say that since it’s not his business. Jaejoong is his friend but of course he doesn’t need to care too much about their relation. It would be better if Yunho just broke up with Jaejoong before he hurts him because he cheats on him. But who is the person Yunho kissed? Yunho always take care of his surrounding silently, and of course if that person is important, Yunho would show his care.

Yunho maybe is not friendly. But he always shows his respect and kind to everyone. He never says bad things or cursing. Sometimes he looks clueless and looks like he doesn’t do anything wrong even if it something out of habit. He is expressionless but his smile is the brightest things he can compare to sun. Now Changmin seriously thinks he has crazy for thinking about Yunho too much, but he also thinks another possibility which he find it crazy too, he likes Yunho.

 

 

The next day, at morning, Yunho looks in a rush. “Hey! I think I might be late, so”

“Understand, I’ll make dinner” Changmin responds with no hesitate. He doesn’t even look at Yunho, not because he is still upset but because he can’t stand to see Yunho’s eyes. A little embarrassed by the words he said the night before.

“Well…” At the time Yunho get out from their apartment, Changmin sees breakfast has already served. Why he always like that? Serving meal for me everyday. Should he feels lucky for having a personal chef? Or because he lives together with someone he probably like? “Damn” Changmin curses loudly but then he eats his breakfast in silent, delicious as usual.

 

 

 

 

 

Comment please ^^