Roommate and the starts of a new life

Journey to find 'Home'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 days later…

“Here we go” said an old man. The person he talks to doesn’t say anything. “So? What do you think?”

“How could I know?” The younger one answers coldly.

“Right, we haven’t seen the room. It’s on the 3rd floor, anyway” They standing in front of a tall building, a middle class apartment. The old man and college age guy are now heading to the 3rd floor. “Ah, here it is, room 315” the old man knocking on the door. Soon, a tall college guy opens the door. The tall guy greets the old man with sincerity.

“Ah? Mr. Lee? Long time no see?”

“Quite long, isn’t it? Here is my grandchild, please take care of him”

“I will” the tall guy smile, he is handsome and now he looks at the other young guy. The younger one doesn’t seems shy, looks like he doesn’t like to talk too much. And he looks has no interest about the now become his roommate. He doesn’t even care to look at the original owner of the room, but when he realizes the older sight he bows while holding a big box in his hand.

The older guy bows too, “I’m Shim Changmin, nice too meets you” before the younger say a thing, his grandfather already says “This is Jung Yunho. He a bit shy” even thought the guy named Shim Changmin can’t see shyness on the younger face. It is only careless.

“I’m sorry for bothering your life from now on” Both of the older man look at Yunho in surprise. Even the old man doesn’t wonder the youngest will say something.

“Well, I’m sure you won’t bother at all” Changmin answer, smile to the younger guy in front of him “Please come in”. They both come in and Changmin shows the room that belongs to Yunho. “It used to be my cousin’s room but since he graduate… It’s not big, but I hope it comfort enough. What do you think?”

“… It’s bigger than my previous room” says Yunho without looking around. His mind looks flying somewhere.

“…” Changmin need some time to understand those words. He doesn’t know how to react to both Yunho’s words and plain expression.

“Don’t worry, he loves it” The grandfather assures Changmin and gives him apologist smile.  “Let’s take your other boxes!”

 

The first hours are very awkward. Changmin tries to have conversation but the younger only gives short answers. It’s really visible that the younger has no intention to talk. Not ignoring, it just like there is a wall that he doesn’t like anyone to cross. Changmin told himself to give some times to the now his roomies. As he reminds, Yunho’s grandfather ever tell him that Yunho has problem to adapt on a new neighborhood, he also quite introvert, doesn’t like to talk too much.

Changmin leaves him unpacks his things and only calls him for dinner. Yunho opens his room with confuse and start speaks “We have dinner together?” they only knows each other name and they already need to eat together?

“Absolutely. Why so surprise?” Changmin can see hesitates in Yunho’s eyes. “Don’t worry! It’s edible even the taste is nothing special” Changmin assures him, even though he can tell it’s not what Yunho’s worry about. But being told like that, Yunho has no choice but quit immediately and follows the older to the dining room.

Eat together in silent, it bother Changmin so much. “How’s the food?”

“It’s good” Yunho says without looking at Changmin. his eyes is not focuses on something.

“Liar!” Changmin blurted out. He hopes to get some reaction from the younger, testing him.

“…” Yunho doesn’t say anything. Changmin sighs “Are you always this quite?”

There are few seconds of silence before Yunho speaks “You need help for cooking?” this time he looks at the older right on his eyes; like he is trying to see his soul through eyes.

“Ah? I guess you can do the groceries” Chang a bit surprise. Those almond eyes in front of him look so lonely but sharp at same time. It feels like Yunho stabs him.

“Okay then” again he cut of the eye contact. Looks at his rice like it is more interesting than anything else.

“And about the house clean, let’s rotate it”

“Okay” dark low tone. Careless.

“You had no problem right?” Putting aside his nerves that just build, he tries to show some concern.

“No, not at all” Yunho shook his head a bit.

“What major?”

“He didn’t tell you?”

Changmin shakes his head this time “Nope”

“Science. Chemical”

“Um, sounds interesting. I’m in economics and management plan now. My father scolds me to get in”

 

It was a bored conversation with Yunho. He doesn’t seem interested at all. Even Changmin has tried his best to talk a lot, which is something he rarely does; Yunho still has not much response. For Changmin, it was much more like talk to a cat, without cuteness. And so he just leave Yunho alone, think that maybe the younger usually need long time to make friends.

 

Next day in early morning, Yunho already wakes up and toast some bread. Changmin wakes a bit late.

“So, first day in college. How do you feel?” Changmin starts conversation, all smiling and warm.

“Nothing special” Yunho’s expression is cold. He shows neither interest nor nervousness.

“Don’t you feel some nerve?” Again, Changmin tries.

“Not at all. I take my leave.”  Yunho quickly leave their apartment like he can’t stand to stay for long time with Changmin.

“Okay” the older can only see Yunho dashing. But his morning states is not good sometimes, his soul seems still leave him. he can only sigh and after some minutes with nothing, he grab a shower, eat twice than what Yunho’s eat and then makes a call; a call to one of his best friend.

 

Not too long until Yunho reach his college, someone bump to him.

“I’m sorry!” he says with sincerity.

“Never mind!” Yunho answers while looking at the guy.

“I’m Kim Junsu! Nice too meet you!” That guy bow then raises his hand for shake hand. Yunho just stay there dumbfounded; he just too shock with that guy sudden action. “Aish!” say that guy named Kim Junsu. He takes Yunho’s hand and shakes his hand. “Are you going to tell me your name or not?” Junsu smiles to Yunho. His eyes turn in to slits.

Yunho snapped immediately “I’m Jung Yunho and nice to meet you, eh, Junsu?”

“I’m new student here. What about you?” he looks all cheer up.

“Same here. What major?”

“We have to go to main hall, right? Let’s go together!” ignoring Yunho’s question and offers him his brightest smile that somehow build a horror inside Yunho’s.

“Ah, yes. Wait! Is it possible that you lost?” tilting his head a little

Junsu’s face blushed red “So… Sort of…” it makes Yunho chuckles.

“Let’s find that main hall then” Seeing the innocence of the person standing next to him, makes he think that he can make it this time; to have a normal life in the country. A good start, he finds a new friend. Although he soon blows that thought.

“Hey! Wait me!” Junsu hurriedly follow the taller one. His voice is too loud for his own liking and Yunho finds it really high.

 

In only his first day in college, Yunho finds that Junsu lived only two blocks from his apartment. He lives with his cousin and because his high school friends are not going to the same faculty, he feels a bit nervous. His cousin is also takes other major. He also knows that Junsu is a foot ball lover and Yunho has to accompany him to find the football club. Luckily they have one. Junsu is the first one who can get along with Yunho. Yunho doesn’t seem interested of making friends that fast, but JS doesn’t leave him. In fact, it was all because of Junsu, he can get more friends. Now Yunho and Junsu already known Donghae, Yesung and a Chinese named Hangkyung. But still, Junsu feels most comfortable with Yunho.

 

On the other side, Changmin checks his schedule with his friends, Kangin, Kyuhyung and Kibum. And lastly, someone runs towards their real fast “Hey guys!”

“Oh, hi Jaejoong! You are a bit late today!” Kanging asks him.

“I’ve told you before right? My cousin is lived with me now!” his jet black hair ruffled from running. Sweats also glisten on his forehead.

“So? What’s wrong with that? Don’t make it as an excuse!” Kyuhyun told him sharply without seeing Jaejoong.

“I’m not! But right before I put on my shoes, his mom calls me and asking about him” he explains, his hand straighten his hair.

“She must worrying her son” Kibum commenting him.

“It’s not a five years old boy! It’s a college year guy!” Jaejoong says with disbelieve tone; clearly feel annoyed.

“Didn’t you say he’s cute?” Ask Kangin hopefully.

“What? You interested of him?” Jaejong snarls at him, giving disgust look also.

“Stop act like his mom already!” Kangin defenses.

“He is my cousin!” like it explains everything.

“What was his name?” asks Kyuhyun. Now getting a little interested.

“Kim Junsu!” Jaejoong is digging something from his bag.

“I want to see him” again, Kangin comments “Hey Changmin! Didn’t you say you live with someone now?”

“Um? Yes.” Changmin is too busy checking his schedule.

“First year right?”

“yeah!”

“Hhh, after your cousin graduates, you don’t even let me to live with you. And now you let a stranger.” Kyuhyun says coldly.

“I had no choice. It was my grandfather order” Changmin explains, still looking at his schedule. He wants to finish his study for 3 years only. Not an easy task.

“Is he cute?” Kangin get himself closer to Changmin.

“Are you always thinking about cute? Why don’t you dating a cat?” Kyuhyun mocks him. It makes Kangin gestured ‘This kid’, but Kyuhyun takes it easy.

“He is not cute at all!” Changmin describes Yunho as he can remember. Tall, good looking but extremely anti-social.

“hah? Why you sound angry? He already creates problem for you?” Jaejoong says as he has a cousin for him to babysit.

“Not at all. It’s not like that. It’s more like live with doll. He isn’t like to talk but he doesn’t look shy. It was just more that it was his personality to avoid people. I’m not sure if it was only to me”

“So he is very quiet?” Kyuhyun asks

“Maybe. He doesn’t look like he likes to socialize. You know, introvert”

“Oh, very good then” now Kyuhyun looks relieved.

“What’s so good? But I lose the urge to know him” says Kangin

“You always like cute ones are you?”

“There is nothing wrong with that!”


 

That day is almost the same for Yunho and Changmin. They study in their new class. But Yunho come home late. Even it has nothing to do with Changmin, he still feel the responsibility to takes care of the younger and so he asks him.

“Where were you going?”

“Why? May not I?” Yunho answers with his coolness or it should be coldness

“It’s not that. I just suspicious if you lost or something” Changmin makes an excuse, the realistic one.

“I just looking for part time job” Yunho answers

“But it’s your first day in college!” Changmin startled. He is come from wealth family and so he doesn’t need to have part time job. Even his friends do that, he can understand, but none of his friends seek for a job on their first day.

“So?” Yunho shrugged his shoulder. He doesn’t find anything wrong with that; for him it just normal.

“But don’t you think you have to adapt first?”

Yunho looks think about it before answers “Well, we’ll see” was the only answers before he enter his room and closes it. Leave Changmin with sighs.

 

But not long after, Changmin knocks on Yunho’s room. “Are you going to eat now or later? It almost cold”

Yunho open it almost immediately “I’ll eat now.”

 

They both sitting and eating their dinner.

“How’s your first day?” Changmin starts the conversation

“Nothing special” Yunho shows no interest to coversation.

Changmin takes a glance to Yunho before talks; the younger just eat “Don’t you feel excited or something?”

Yunho stops eating for awhile “Is it important for you?”

Changmin holds his anger. He remind himself that the person n the same room with him is someone whom he has to take responsibility, since his grandfather beg him to take care of him. “It’s not important for me actually” Changmin’s tone still calm as usual “but since we live together, I don’t want to feel uncomfortable”

“I’m sorry” Yunho immediately says. Even without change on his expression, he truly realize he has makes the older angry.

Changmin feels calmer knowing Yunho already regretting his mistakes “You have brother?”

“No”

“It must be very lonely”

“I don’t understand with that loneliness you think I feel”

“What?”

“Nothing. I’ve finish. Leave those, I’ll wash them later”

“Uh, okay” and again, Yunho leaves him.

For Changmin, it’s totally different compared to live with his cousin. His cousin is somehow very cheerful and talkative. That’s how he used to talk even not much. But this person named Jung Yunho is much quieter than him two years ago when he stills a freshman.

The rest of the week is end without anything special. Yunho still closes himself from Changmin and the older still tries to digs as much information as he can get. It becomes harder because Yunho has part time job which takes 5 days in a week. And on weekend, Yunho disappeared. Changmin has no clue at all and since Yunho’s grandfather didn’t tell him much about his grandson. He can only guessing and hope Yunho is not a drug user.

Changmin knows that Yunho showing a manner that gesturing ‘Let’s not disturbing each other’ but Changmin bother by that. He never knows someone like Yunho. Besides, they lived in an apartment together. It's only one week, and there at least one year before Changmin graduates. How will their relation improve?