Kai's POV : Grandpa Wu's Surprise

His and Theirs: All 13 of Us

Grandpa: So Kai, I wanted to discuss something with you.

Me: Okay. What is it, grandpa?

Grandpa: Your papa entrusted you to our care while they’re in Florida, right?

Me: Right.

Grandpa: As your mother cannot be with you to take care of you, I agreed to take responsibility while your papa is away. However… (And he drummed his fingers on the table) I need to be away for a while also, and grandma Wu has to be with me where I’m going. So...

Me: So… I will have to be shipped somewhere again…

Grandpa: Naturally.

Me: But where, grandpa?

Grandpa: Oh, I don’t know. I plan to drop you off on the way, actually.

Me: Drop me off?! Where?!

Grandpa: I’m not sure.

 

But he was smiling. Then he pushed the envelope toward me. I took it and slowly opened it. I peeked at the contents and couldn’t believe my eyes. I pulled up the contents and grinned. They were plane tickets to the USA. The others were details of the itinerary/route stops (California, Florida, and New York).

 

Me: Really grandpa? Really, really?

Grandpa: Yes, yes…really, Kai.

Me: But how?

Grandpa: I bought them, of course. Your grandma and I are expected in New York next week, so I figured I’d drop you off in Florida. But we’ll have to stop by California for a day. I have some business to attend to, there.

Me: Sure. I won’t mind, grandpa. Omona!!!

Me: But grandpa--?!

Grandpa: Yes? Weisheme?

Me: What if eomma says no?

Grandpa: Hmm… Let me handle that.

 

And he picked up the phone on his table, asked me for eomma’s number, and dialed it. I waited with bated breath. If eomma said no, goodbye Florida for the second time. I sat on the edge of my seat.

 

Grandpa: Hello. This is George Wu, Kai’s grandfather. I need to speak to Miss Kim, his mother.

 

I waited, rested my chin on the desk and listened.

 

Grandpa: Yes, oh…okay. Good. I wanted to speak to you about Kai. Actually, I just want you to know I’m taking Kai with us to the States tomorrow… Yes. Me and his grandmother… Yes… No… California… Yes… But we’ll go straight to New York after a day, so I’m dropping him off in Florida to his dad… What? Why? Now, listen here…  No… Listen… I’m given responsibility while his father isn’t here. So naturally, I can take him anywhere I want to and bring him to Florida with me… You? You’re halfway around the world. How can you possibly take care of your son? You haven’t even seen him for a year now… I’m not asking permission from you. I’m telling you where I’m taking your son… Why? Because you might call here and look for him, that’s why… New York? Why would we bring him to New York with us when his family is in Florida? Well, that’s it. Thank you for answering my call… Yes. Goodbye, Miss Kim.

 

And he replaced the received with a smile. I looked up to him still with my chin on the desk. I smiled at grandpa and gave him a thumbs up. He gave me a thumbs up, too.

 

Me: That was cool, grandpa. I thought eomma would win again.

Grandpa: Oh no, she couldn’t win over your grandpa. Like I told you, I’d handle it. Now, go upstairs and pack your things. We leave first thing in the morning. Do you need to get anything from your house.

Me: Uhm… Maybe a few things, but it’s okay. I got what I need here. I’ll just buy them once we get there.

Grandpa: Okay. Go on, pack up now.

 

I didn’t waste any more time. I got up and scrambled up the stairs, went straight to my room, stuffed my suitcase and backpack. I scratched out my evening walk from my “schedule.” I needed to sleep early that night. I didn’t want to sleep late, otherwise I might wake up late and be left behind. After I packed my bags, I took out my phone and started to text the boys. But I erased it just as I thought it would be my surprise. I heard a knock on my door. I went to open it. It was grandpa. He told me that he called papa to inform him I’d be in Florida a day or two from today. Grandpa added that papa was going to keep it a surprise for the rest of them in Florida, so no one else knew except him. I thanked grandpa and I went back to lying on my bed. A week has passed, but it felt like I’ve been here for longer. I was going to miss this room, this house, this place. Maybe next summer vacation the rest of us should spend it here. It would be fun if all of us would be here.

 

I texted my sibling telling them of suggestion for next summer. I knew most of them would asleep already, considering the time zone difference. But I received a reply from Baekhyun.

 

Baek: That would be awesome, Kai. It’s been ages since we visited grandpa Wu’s place, so we wouldn’t remember how it looked like. Be our tour guide, then.

Me: Sure, hyung. I’ve been meaning to dive down that lake near the house, but it would be more fun if all of us would be there.

Baek: Whoa! Lake? All we see here is sea, beach and more sea. LOL. The lake would be a change.

Me: Yup. Lake. I couldn’t really go there because grandpa’s spies always follow me, except at night. LOL.

Baek: Yo Kai, Chen here. Is grandpa Wu’s like Timbuktu? Spies?

Me: Shut up hyung. How should I know? I’ve never been in Timbuktu.

Baek: What did Chen say? He stole my phone. Anyway, no. Don’t answer that. I’m sleepy. Goodnight Kai.

Me: Goodnight hyung. Punch Chen hyung for me.

Baek: Sure. My pleasure.

 

I didn’t reply after that. I took a nap, then. When I woke up, it was about 3 PM already. I ran down the stairs. I went straight to the restaurant. As usual, after my nap, I always go to the restaurant and do people-watching. When I came in, I immediately asked for iced tea from the bar and sat at my favorite spot, the farthest table from the door. Grandpa Wu was seated with some friends at one of the larger tables. They were laughing and singing. It looked like one of them was celebrating his birthday. I was thankful he didn’t notice me, otherwise, he’d call me over and introduce me again. LOL. As soon as my iced tea was empty, I sneaked to the kitchen and went out from there. I didn’t dare risk passing by their table to get out the front door.

 

Once I was out, I made my way back to the house and spent the whole afternoon watching TV. I thought about getting my skateboard from home, but also thought about asking papa to just buy me one when I got there. I knew the rest of the boys didn’t bring their own skateboards, but would find a way to ask papa, so they can practice there. I took my mind off of it and concentrated on the show the TV was on. Until I drifted off to sleep.

 

I woke up to the sound of grandpa giving instructions to the household help. I was stretched out on the sofa, TV still on. I covered my face with a throw pillow and listened to the TV. I fumbled for the remote and pressed some keys to change the channel without even looking at the screen. I felt a nudge on my foot. I peeked from under the pillow and saw grandma Wu. I just raised a thumb and covered my face with the pillow again. She didn’t nudge my foot again. She probably just went to the kitchen to supervise dinner. I peeked from under the pillow, just to be sure. I turned off the TV, having no desire to watch it further. I just listened to grandpa giving out instructions. I shifted my weight and hung my legs on the backrest of the sofa, so I looked like I was sitting upside down. I didn’t care whether grandpa or grandma scolded me, I was comfortable. But nobody minded me. People passed me by, even grandpa and grandma. They probably just left me doing whatever since they knew I was too bored for my own good.

 

I only sat up straight when grandma peeked her head from the dining room and called my name. I stood up and went to eat dinner. There wasn’t much fuss over dinner, except for grandma asking if my things were ready and packed. I assured her that I had my suitcase and backpack since early afternoon. After that, we ate dinner in silence. Grandpa , as usual, told me to go to bed as soon as I finished brushing my teeth. I just nodded, got up, went up to my room, took my towel and went to the bathroom. After washing up, I flopped on the bed, took out my charger and plugged in my phone to charge. I also plugged in my iPod to charge. I couldn’t go without music. I also charged my laptop, just in case Wi-fi was free at the airport. I texted the boys again and my only sister (of course). It was morning in Florida, but I wasn’t sure if they were already awake, because it wasn’t a school day. Usually, we wake up at around 8 or 9 AM on weekends or summer/Christmas holidays. It was just 10 minutes after 8 PM. I nodded off to sleep again. I was woken up with the beeps from my phone. I grabbed my phone and checked. All of them replied to me.

 

Xiumin: Good morning bro. Boring day today. Papa said we’d just stay home today. He was going to check the other beach house because two of his colleagues will be arriving tomorrow for vacation too.

Luhan: Morning Kai. Hope you aren’t giving grandpa a headache. Not much happening today. Just spend it at the pool or bird-watching, maybe. Papa has business to attend to.

Kris: Kai-o-Kai. I don’t really know, bro. I’m going back to sleep. Papa is busy today and tomorrow, I guess. Goodnight. Let’s sleep.

Suho: Papa has some business to attend to, but not like the usual business. Just check the other beach houses for his mates who’re going to spend vacation here, too. Don’t give grandma or grandpa a headache.

Lay: I’m sleeping in today. I’m sure the others will have told you some of the things already, so I won’t bother. I hope you were here, though.

Baek: Dude. Boring. I don’t think we can even go out to practice. But I hope we can. There’s a really good site to practice skateboarding. Papa won’t mind, I hope. He even gave the budget to buy new boards.

Chan: Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. Kai, can I borrow your pillow? LOL. No, I can’t.  I’m far away from home. Let’s sleep.

Chen: I don’t know what to tell you, really. Just pretend I said a lot of things, okay? LOL. Goodnight Kai. I might just go back to sleep too.

Soo: I’m sure grandma feeds you well, so you must not miss my cooking. Hahah. But anyway, me , Tao and Sehun are going to go diving at the pool. Not much to do coz papa has some minor business to attend to.

Tao: Let’s go divingggggggggg!!! No lake here, but there’s a pool!

Sehun: Mama will go with papa, so we’re just going to go diving at the pool.

Xiao Yi: Oppa, I don’t know what to do. LOL. I’ll probably just watch the diving practice. Or sleep. Goodnight Kai oppa. Sleep tight.

 

I sent in the same message. “Goodnight.”

 

 

--------------

 

 

I woke up early the next day. First thing I checked was my watch. It was 16 minutes past 5 AM. We were expected to be at the airport 8 AM. I checked my gadgets and unplugged them. I was still charging my spare phone battery, I stretched and prepared my clothes. I went down the stairs and checked for signs of grandpa and grandma. They weren’t in the dining room or kitchen, although Yan and her cooks were busy preparing breakfast already. I peeped in grandpa’s office, but he wasn’t there. Probably still sleeping, I shrugged. I made my way outside the house for a breath of fresh air. That’s when I saw grandpa and grandma’s silhouettes in the ancestor’s shrine up the little hill just off the lawn. I strolled over to the foot of the hill, where the 13 markers were, I hesitated at first, but proceeded up the stone pathway to the shrine.

 

Grandpa and grandma offered incense, food and wine, and they were praying. I stopped at the entrance and sat on the floor. Papa didn’t really build a shrine at our house, so I didn’t know how to behave. I observed grandpa and grandma while they prayed. After they were done, grandpa told me to light an incense and say a prayer. I followed his example. I thought I did it right, because he didn’t tell me otherwise. We went up the house together. Breakfast was ready when we reached the house. Yang herded us to the dining room. We ate in silence, then grandpa gave Yang last minute instructions. I ran up the stairs and took a bath. I unplugged my extra battery. I re-checked my stuff and hauled my suitcase down the stairs. I went back to get my backpack and jacket. I lazed on the sofa in the living room while waiting for my grandparents. I checked my watch, it was 10 minutes past 6 AM. The airport was an hour away from here. I heard a car pull up in front of the house. Grandpa and grandma went down the stairs, two household helps were dragging their luggage. With that, I stood up and pulled my suitcase out the door and into the car. Grandpa made use of the airport service cars. The airport attendant helped us with our bags. I climbed at the back of the car and plugged I my headphones. Grandpa sat on the passenger seat and grandma in the first row at the back. I looked back at the two-storey house and the restaurant, as the car drove away.

 

I turned off my iPod, for I didn’t know how long will we be on travel mode. I busied myself with watching the sidewalk we passed by to the airport. Grandpa’s house was to the North of the airport, while our house, the South, so the view was different the last time we went to the airport en route to Hong Kong. And not that I remembered, because I slept most of the way there. This time I was awake, maybe because I was too excited to be in Florida. Although, I won’t be there for another day or two. I was looking forward to spending the rest of my summer vacation with my family. Grandma seemed to be sleeping, so I didn’t bother I question her about the places we passed by. Grandpa was talking to the driver.

 

When we reached, we checked in our luggage and went straight to the boarding area. Grandpa wasn’t one who’d waste time lounging at the coffee stores or the pastry shops. I followed him and grandma as they made their way to a vacant sitting area near the gate. We were there approximately an hour before they boarded us for our flight to LA. I sat by the window, grandma in the middle, and grandpa the seat near the aisle. I rolled up the window blinds and took a picture of the view outside with my phone. Grandma had her mask on and continued to sleep. Grandpa waited for the routinary safety demonstrations, then asked for a blanket. I took out my sunglasses, put it on, and stared outside the window. I constantly took pictures outside and of the people on the plane. The grandparents didn’t scold me for they were sleeping. I just learned we were in first class when one of the flight attendant offered me food, compliments of  the airline. Of course, I took some and took a picture of it. LOL.

 

I rolled down the blinds and nodded off to sleep. When I woke up, grandpa was awake, but grandma was still asleep.

 

Me: Grandpa, are we there yet?

Grandpa: not for another 6 hours, Kai.

Me: Oh… How long have we been flying?

Grandpa: Hmmm… About 5 hours, I guess.

Me: Why so long?

Grandpa: It’s the other part of the world we’re going to.

Me: Yeah, I know. But still, it’s too long.

Grandpa: It’s going to take almost the same amount of time from LA to Florida, you know. (And he was laughing.)

Me: Zhen de ma?

Grandpa: Yes, it is. From Pacific time to Eastern Time. Hahaha.

Me: Is that why we need to spend a day in California, so we can rest before going to Florida and New York?

Grandpa: Not reayy. But partly, yes. I’ll just visit your uncle Jun there. He’s your papa’s younger brother.

Me: Oh, so is it where we’ll stay? At their house?

Grandpa: Yes, correct.

Me: What about New York? Are you going to visit another uncle or aunt?

Grandpa: No. That’s for business purposes. Remember Mr. Cui?

Me: Not really. Hehehe.

Grandpa: Well, he was one of those I introduced you to. Anyway, he also owns a restaurant in Guangzhou, but he flew to New York a few days ago. Just after I introduced you. He actually had a business proposal, but couldn’t stay to discuss it. So instead of waiting for him to come back, I decided to go to him. God knows I need a vacation myself, so I called him up and he said to yes.

Me: Oh…So, that’s why you have to drop me off in Florida.

Grandpa: Of course, I could bring you along, but I know you’d be happier if you stayed in Florida.

Me: Feichang ganxie, grandpa. Thank youuuuuuu very much!

Grandpa: Ah…Bu keqi, Kai. I’m still a grandfather before a businessman. Grandma stirred in her sleep and woke up after a few minutes. She checked her watch and asked me to peek at the window. It was dark. I didn’t know what time it was in LA, so I just shrugged as grandma adjusted her time. I didn’t bother adjusting my time, I just leaned back and waited for touchdown. I couldn’t actually wait for touchdown. My hand was inside my jacket pocket holding my phone. I set it to roaming the night before. I wanted to text the others already.

 

I switched on the mini-TV in front of my seat. A recorded movie was showing. I spent the remaining hours watching the movies that were shown. Then the flight attendants got ready for touchdown. I shifted so much in my seat that grandma held me down by the shoulders and glared at me. I cowered and sat quietly. And as we filed to exit the plane, I stayed behind grandma, afraid I would get scolded again for being too excited.

 

We checked out smoothly and proceeded to the lobby where there were a lot of people waiting for their relatives or friends. Grandpa took out his phone and dialed a number. I waited with grandma on one of the empty benches with our suitcases. After grandpa finished with his phone call, he instructed us to wait for a few minutes, because uncle Jun was on his way to pick us up. It was 6 AM in LA. The airport didn’t look any different from Beijing’s or Hong Kong’s, except the language heard. Most of the people spoke English. Damn! It took me 3 year to learn conversational Mandarin, now I gotta learn to speak English in just one month? LOL. Anyway, if it was 6 AM in LA< then it would be 9 AM in Florida, right? Ahaha. I smiled to myself. I texted them all, wishing them a wonderful day, then I chuckled to myself.

 

Uncle Jun came after 30 minutes and he led us to his car. He helped load our luggage in the trunk. I climbed the backseat and buttoned up my jacket. It was kinda cold for summer. Beijing wasn’t this cold in the mornings. Maybe because it was a little windy. Grandma sat beside me, and grandpa on the passenger seat in front. T was another 30 minutes to the house. I took pictures on the way. The houses were neatly lined up on either side of the road. Uncle’s house was near the beach as well. The road leading down the beach was lined with modern beach houses. I thought it was the perfect place to practice skateboarding. We stopped in front of what seemed to be a three-storey house. The lower level wasn’t visible on this side of the road, for it was downhill. Only the 2nd and 3rd storeys were seen from street level on this side. Uncle had to drive round the street to the back of the house where the garage was. He then helped us unload our suitcases and bring it inside the house.

 

 

We were greeted by his wife. His two children were still sleeping, so it seemed. The kitchen and dining room was in this level of the house. There was also a toilet and bath. The 2nd storey, the living room and 2 bedrooms. The 3rd storey were three bedrooms. They used the 3rd storey bedrooms, so grandpa, grandma and me would use the rooms on the 2nd storey.  They showed us to our rooms first, then went down to the dining to have breakfast. Uncle Jun had two children. A boy and girl. I met them during breakfast. It was a good thing they spoke Mandarin, because I only had a handful of English with me. They taught me basic English word and phrases, and I gladly took note of them on my phone.

 

My cousins were curious of how we lived. Well, 13 children with 2 adults, that is. They were fascinated while I told them about all 13 of us. That’s when I remembered to check my phone. I excused myself while I read the replies. I couldn’t help but smile and chuckle, because they were unaware I was only half a day away from them. All this time, they thought I was in Beijing at grandpa Wu’s. LOL.

 

Xiumin: Same boring day. I don’t know how long papa’s going to imprison us here. Although, he allowed us to back and forth the beach house to the other house. One the families has arrived. You know, papa’s business mate?

Luhan: I bet you have more fun grandpa’s than us here. We can only stay in this house or go to the other house – which is just about 30 – 40 steps away from the street. Duh…

Kris: Like I care. LOL. Nah. Thanks bro. Wonderful day for sleeping again. I might just sleep by the pool downstairs. Kyungie is having barbecue later.

Suho: Thank you, Kai. I’m sure we’ll have a wonderful day. We probably will meet the other families on vacation, later.

Lay: It’s barbecue with Kyungsoo later. Mama’s baking a cake. Then maybe we’ll lounge by the pool.

Baek: At last! Skateboard area is longer now. Not just the street out front. But we can go down the street ad round to the other beach house now. I just hope the other families won’t mind. They’re all boys, too. You know, their kids.

Chan: There are skateboarding shops just within the resort, you were asking before. I forgot to tell you that. There are bike rentals too. Although we haven’t gotten round to biking around the area yet. Hmm…

Chen: Stop bugging me with your wonderful wishes. I know you told papa to imprison us so we can’t have fun. Why are you so unfair? Just wait ‘til we come home. I’ll make sure to ruin the rest of your summer vacation. LOL.

Soo: Papa asked us to stay at the beach house again. No gallivanting around the resort. So we planned on having barbecue by the pool, instead. I doubt if we can go down the beach, but at least we’ll have barbecue. Mama is baking a cake.

Tao: I wish you were her. Baek gege’s been showing off his techniques whenever we get the chance to skateboard outside. Papa allowed us at least 3 hours a day, but just down the street and back.

Sehun: Enough about us here. DUH! Tell us about grandpa Wu’s place. You told us about the lake. What else is there?

Xiao Yi: Hi gege. I hope you have a wonderful day or night, too. It’s not much fun here since we aren’t complete. Anyway, I’ll save some barbecue for you. LOL.

 

Xiao Yi’s reply was heartwarming and I wondered if she’d really save some barbecue for me. Tomorrow, I’d be in Florida. I texted them back one by one, and specifically told little sister to save at least 3 sticks of barbecue for me. I knew she’s take it as a joke, but who knows, she might just do. After replying, I told my cousins what my family was doing that very moment. They were excited about Baek and the skateboarding techniques. Around these parts, skateboarding was also popular among teens. I spent the whole morning exchanging stories with my cousins. And because I didn’t have my skateboard with me, they persuaded uncle to drive us to the mall so I can buy a skateboard. Grandpa came with us. Grandma stayed with aunt in the house.

 

The five of us left for the mall after lunch. Jien, my 15 year old cousin, led the way to the skateboard shop. His sister, Kerin, was my age (14). There was a small platform where we could test out the boards, and I tried 3 or 4 boards before settling for one. They were amazed how well I executed some moves. Grandpa paid for my skateboard. Then we bought little trinkets from a souvenir shop. I picked one for each brother and for Xiao Yi. I also picked for papa, mama and eomma. We stayed a bit for some cake and tea, then went back to the house. Jien asked for permission so we could try out the skateboard. We went out the 2nd storey door to the street which was downhill. I was able to practice that way. I also lent him the board and taught him some tricks. It was nice knowing another person who shared the same hobby as me. And at the same time, he was my cousin.

 

At night, before dinner, we exchanged phone numbers, I told Jien it would be best if his family could visit us in Florida. He said he’d try convincing his dad. Otherwise, we’d visit them back before we go home to Beijing. I also told him I’d try convincing papa. Then we both laughed. Dinner was noisy, because grandpa was telling jokes, while Kerin was laughing out loud. Actually, we were all laughing, but she laughed the loudest. Our flight the next day was at 8 AM, so we had to have an early night. Grandma went to sleep first, but grandpa and uncle went to the porch for a nightcap. Kerin and aunt bade us goodnight. JIen stayed with me in my room while we exchanged Facebook email addresses. He had his laptop with him and he sat on the floor. I was on the bed charging my iPod and phone.

 

Xiumin hyung was online. I chatted with him a bit, but I couldn’t tell him about cousin Jien yet, so I told Jien to wait ‘til I was in Florida, before he started to add my family on Facebook. Then, Jien bade me goodnight. He didn’t want to be scolded by his papa for letting me stay up late. He closed his laptop and went back to his room. I plugged my lappy, too. I texted my siblings good morning, for they thought I was still in Beijing. This time, I didn’t wait for a reply because I was nodding off. I slept soundly that night, dreaming of a beach house with my family.

 

I woke up at exactly 6 AM the next day. I prepared my things and unplugged all chargers and put my gadgets in my bag. I went out of my room and found grandpa on the way down to the dining room. I followed him down. Grandma was already with aunt and uncle. As usual, my cousins were still asleep. I sat down at the table, pulled an empty mug from the tray, and poured hot choco from the thermos on the table. Aunt was making pancakes, while grandma fried eggs. Uncle told us to go  ahead and et and not wait for my cousins. And we did just that. After eating, I went to take a bath and get dressed. Just when I was done and was dragging my suitcase in one hand, backpack slung over my shoulder, and skateboard on the other hand. My cousins bounded down the stairs. We said our  goodbyes, and uncle herded us down to the garage and once again, loaded our suitcases in the trunk.

 

We arrived 30 minutes before boarding time, but we checked in smoothly and boarded right away. I took out my phone and took a picture again. I saw I had text messages. I remembered I didn’t wait for replies last night. They probably wondered why I didn’t reply. It was about time for me to say goodnight in a few hours, there were still about 15 minutes left before take-off, I checked the messages.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 

Xiumin: If today was boring, tomorrow will be more than boring. It’s total lockdown.

Luhan: No one is allowed to go out tomorrow. Not even to the beach or to the street. Papa doesn’t even have any business to attend to. Probably, he’s considering it as his rest day. Whatever.

Kris: Not a good day today. No good tomorrow, either. Pray for us, Kai.

Suho: Papa called tomorrow as “rest day.” No one is allowed outside. We’re all imprisoned here.

Lay: It’s just the pool or the TV tomorrow. Maybe just the door, too. I don’t know if we’re even allowed to touch the door.

Baek:  My skateboard’s going to be parked for the day, tomorrow. Rest day, as papa called it. Maybe I’ll just sleep the whole day.

Chan: I can’t bear looking at Tao and Sehun’s face anymore. LOL. So I’m kinda pissed why papa chose tomorrow as REST DAY. I was planning to go biking with Baek and Chen. DUH.

Chen: I think papa will put a sign on the door, “No Trespassing.” Or even put CCTV near the door. I don’t know if the doorknob will be wired like an electric fence. No one goes out… maybe even in. No one is allowed to touch the door.O_O

Soo: Good morning Kai. Goodnight here. I will finally get to rest tomorrow. Or not. I hope papa will let me rest from cooking for all. It should be Lay gege’s turn now.

Tao: I know what Chanyeol hyung said. DUH. Do you believe him? I hope not.

Sehun: Chanyeol hyung is a liar. We were the ones supposed to go biking with him, not Baek and Chen.

Xiao Yi: Good morning Kai oppa. Goodnight here. Yes, I saved barbecue for you. LOL. I’ll probably just eat it for lunch tomorrow anyway.

 

I smiled at their replies. I sent them all a goodnight message, saying I have had a long day, so I’m sleeping early. I was sure they won’t wonder anymore. I switched my phone to “flight mode” and put on my headphones. This time, I was the one who slept through the flight. Grandma was reading a home improvement magazine, and grandpa watching an in-flight movie. When I woke up, I asked what time it was. It was only 4 hours since we took off. Since we were going through time zones again, we’d probably reach Florida at around 5 or 6 PM. I watched the in-flight movie while eating the complimentary meal. Then I remembered. I asked grandpa who’d pick us up at the airport. Turned out he already called papa before he went down for breakfast, and papa would be picking us up. I imagined he’d just tell my brothers he had a minor business to attend to. Mama would stay with them at the beach house. I just nodded at grandpa and continued to watch the movie. I thought to myself “See you later, dudes.” And I smiled to myself.

 


 

Baby Kai will be going to Florida! Thank you grandpa Wu. Wo feichang, feichang gaoxing for what you did. LOL. I hope you are all still following. Gahhhh... Now, I am wondering when I'll be able to complete this. LOL.