His and Theirs: All 13 of Us (Part 8)

His and Theirs: All 13 of Us

 

Formal dinners are not my thing, so I just had to pay attention to Papa and Mama. My older brothers already knew the trick, so I followed their lead as well. Tao, Kai, Se Hun and me were kind of new to this, because the last time we attended a formal gathering was when we were in grade school, and now we're on Junior High.


Dad was telling the older boys about his and Mama’s recent trip. It sounded like he was already briefing the boys about the business he was in, and I’m wondering if all of them liked the idea that one day, they’d be like him; going on trips, never staying home most of the time, and not having time for family. However, if they didn’t like the idea, they were hiding it pretty well, for they looked interested in everything Papa had to say.  
 
On another note, the younger boys were talking amongst each other and asking Mama some trivial questions only boys can think of. Most of it were about girls. Kai in particular, asked her what were some signs that a girl has a crush on a boy. Mama was deeply amused by this question for she asked him if there was a girl he liked at school. He shook his head though and threw the question to Soo, who was caught off-guard. He almost choked on his food, but luckily did not.
 
Soo: Why ask me?
 
Kai: You said you liked someone at school, remember?
 
Soo: I did not.
 
He was probably nervous because Papa was there. Girls were a touchy subject if you were below 17 years old. LOL. But crushes were okay, though. He might have forgotten that.
 
Kai: Well, Mama… How do you know it?
 
Mama: It’s not always easy to know. Some girls really know how to hide their feelings. But it’s possible to spot a girl who likes someone. Only, you can’t be sure who she likes.
 
Se Hun: How?
 
Mama: Well, you notice how girls seem to converge when there are boys?
 
Kai: Yeah.
 
Tao: Girls always converge at school.
 
Mama: So, then it is possible that they –or one of them- likes someone within the uhm…area.
 
Tao: Hah! I knew it. She likes me.
 
Kai: Whooooooooo? Do tell.
 
Tao: I always catch her looking at me and when I look at her, she looks away.
 
Mama: Oh. There we go. It is possible, then. Can you tell Mama who she is?
 
Tao: Uhm… uhmmm…
 
Se Hun: I know who it is. It’s-
 
But he wasn’t able to finish it, for Tao clamped his hand over Se Hun’s mouth. On my left was Lu Han, and on my right were Tao, Se Hun, and Kai. Mama was seated on one end of the table, while Papa on the other end near the oldest boys. Beside Lu Han was Suho and Xiumin. While Kris, lay, Baek, Chen, Chan, and Soo were on the other side. He was lucky no one else saw it from the other end of the table except Baek-gege, who happened to glance our way. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but closed it again, for Mama gave him a knowing look. He just grinned at Mama and pretended he didn’t see anything.
 
Mama: Now boys, behave. Papa is in a good mood today, I know, but he’s also tired from our trip. We don’t want him to have a  bad mood, do we?
 
Se Hun: Sorry Mama.
 
Tao: Sorry Mama.
 
Me: Timbuktu…
 
Se Hun: Shut up.
 
Mama: Se Hun.
 
Se Hun: ---
 
Mama: Now, finish your food. All of you. I would expect you to be on your best behavior tomorrow night. None of this bickering, okay?
 
Tao: Yes Mama.
 
Kai: Timbuktu…
 
Se Hun: Shut it, okay…
 
But he said it in a whisper and Mama just shot them a warning look. They immediately commenced eating. Mama turned to Soo and Chan.
 
Mama: How’s baseball Yeolie dear?
 
Chan: Pretty good, Mama. But I think the coach will not let me play next game.
 
Mama: And why is that?
 
Chan: I don’t know. There’s this new guy. Coach said they’re going to try him first. But it’s okay. I’ve got skateboarding team with these boys.
 
And he looked at my skateboarding brothers and did an air high-five with them. Soo just nodded. He wasn’t into sports that much, and he rarely joins the boys when they play baseball or soccer. Just like Lay-gege, he’d rather stay home in their room or in the kitchen. He was more of the experiment-guy in the family. Whether it be food or technology, he didn’t waste time in trying to make something new. When Lay-ge needed help setting up his instruments and his recording equipment, Soo was there, since they share a room (together with Xiumin). They’d spend time composing songs and arranging music. Although sometimes they join the other boys play soccer or baseball, or just basking under the sun by the pool.
 
Mama: Kyungsoo dear…
 
Soo: Uhm…yes mama… (He was always shy with mama, of all dad’s children from other women, he was the most shy when talking to her.)
 
Mama: I’m actually looking forward to tasting that Tiramisu these boys mentioned to me. We’ve never had it when we’re home.
 
Soo: Sure, I’ll make one just for you… hehehe.
 
Mama: I’m counting on you.
 
Soo: Yes ma’am.
 
Mama: Ahh, no need for formality. I’m as good as your mother anyway. I’m not sure what your mothers were thinking when they let you live with your papa. If I was your mother, I would surely want you back home with me. Tsk, tsk… No need to fret though, dear. You know I love you all as my own.
 
Soo: Thank you Mama.
 
Mama: Always my pleasure.
 
Se Hun: Why can’t I go with you?
 
He was obviously talking to the older boys now, who was planning on a sightseeing with Papa the day after tomorrow. As the youngest brother, he was also the brattiest and loudest when it comes to stuff like this.
 
Lu Han: It’s an all-Hyung date. You’re not old enough, right Papa?
 
Papa: Yes, yes. And because I thought you wanted to practice skateboard techniques?
 
Se Hun: Uhm… yeah, but...
 
Baek: I’m not going myself. I’d rather practice, you know.
 
Se Hun: Ni qu nali? Where are you going?
 
Suho: Papa will probably tour us around their offices and play golf. Hehehe.
 
Papa: Yes, probably. And golf… Good idea. I haven’t played in quite a while. Well, with you of course. I play for business purposes, but not for fun- with my children.
 
Se Hun: Ahh, no thanks then. I pick skateboarding.
 
Kris: I might pass on the golf Papa. Hehehe. But I’d definitely go with you. I’ll just lounge around, thanks.
 
Suho: You’re missing out on a good golf game.
 
Kris: You are kidding me, right?
 
Papa: No, of course not. Why don’t you join even just one game?
 
Kris: Uhm… I might, but might not. Heheheh.
 
Lu Han: I think I’ll pass too. Or else, I’ll just kick the ball home. Hahahah.
 
Xiumin: I might kick the ball home, too. But I’ll probably just watch you and be your caddy. Hahaha.
 
Papa: You boys have no idea how great a game golf is.
 
Suho: I agree Papa.
 
Chen: I’ll try one game!
 
Lay: Me too.
 
Suho: Bring it on!
 
Papa: 2 on 2 then. Lu Han, Kris, I trust you don’t go off wandering the country club. You might bump into undesirable people, and know you are my kids.
 
Lu Han: No Papa. We’ll stay somewhere…safe..?
 
Kris: By the pool. I wanna lounge by the pool. You know, feel the country club ambiance…
 
And he closed his eyes and smiled. Papa laughed at this and nudged him by the arm.
 
Papa: Yes, fine. You two can stay by the pool.
 
Lu Han: Cool!
 
Kris: Uh-huh.
 
Xiumin: Uhm- Papa, how about the apartment? Are we still moving after tomorrow?
 
Papa: I am not sure yet. But just in case, I have Mr. Ang looking for a large apartment or house for us to stay in for the rest of the week. But if not, we’ll just stay here. Maybe get a bigger suite, so all can be accommodated. If not, we’ll stick with the current arrangements.
 
Xiumin: Oh, okay.
 
While they were talking apartments and house rentals, I saw Lu Han shot Kris a knowing look. When Kris saw him, he raised his eyebrows, and I followed Lu Han’s gaze move from him to the next table. Kris casually turned his head that way and pretended to be just surveying the area. But he stole a glance at Lu Han again and I pretended to drink from my glass, but saw Lu Han nod and fix his gaze on something behind Papa, Kris’ right…or should I say someone.
 
The table on that side sat 4 people, 2 men and 2 women, I glanced at Lu Han again and it looked like he was nodding toward the woman adjacent to Kris. And Kris-gege seemed to understand him, he shifted in his seat to have a better look at the occupants on the  next table. He turned his head, and just as he did so, the woman adjacent to him turned her head towards our table. Lu Han immediately bowed his head and picked up his glass and pretended to drink. But Kris met her gaze. I saw her smile. I wasn’t sure, but Kris somehow smiled at her too.
 


So, this must be the girl Lu Han-gege was talking about earlier at the mall. And my brother was flirting. Oh no. If dad saw him… And we were supposed to be “prim and proper” at this rehearsal dinner. I probably gasped a little too loudly, because Lu Han-ge, Tao, and Yeol, looked at me. I had my mouth open wide. I closed my mouth and sank back onto the chair as far back as I could and bowed my head. Papa and the other boys at their end of the table noticed the mild commotion. Kris suddenly pulled his gaze away from the other table and sat up straight, looked at Lu Han, and mouthed, “Later.”