Florida, is it?

His and Theirs: All 13 of Us

A month in Florida? That sounded perfect. So we did a good job behaving ourselves at the party. But before we can go, my half-brothers would need to inform their respective mothers of the travel plan. So we had to go back home to Beijing while waiting for their response. We packed our bags and prepared to leave the hotel on the next day. So much for hoping for a week’s stay, but it was for the better. At least we’d be in the comforts of our own beds.

 

Papa checked us out early the next morning and ordered take-out food to eat on the way to the airport. Papa requested for a large box where the boys could put their skateboards in. And as usual, we climbed in the white and black vans that would take us to the airport.

 

We arrived an hour early before check-in, so we had to wait. An as customary, Sehun requested for Bubble Tea. The oldest boys went to buy while we sat and waited. When they returned, they also had a bag of burgers. Chen took out his playing cards and played Solitaire, but the others wanted to join, so they played pairs instead. I just watched in silence beside mama.

 

Just as our Bubble Tea were empty, we were scheduled for boarding. Papa and the older boys checked us in and our luggage earlier. We silently lined-up to board the plane, papa and mama making up the rear to make sure no one was left behind. Luhan and Kris were in front of the line. I  took Suho gege’s hand and Yo-oppa’s with my other hand.

 

We were seated in 4 rows this time. I sat beside Suho, Chanyeol and Tao in the 2nd row. Mama, Papa, Luhan and Kris in the first row. Kai, Soo, Baekhyun and Chen the 3rd row. And Xiumin, Lay and Sehun the 4th row. Nobody misbehaved on this flight because papa was there. But Tao was busy taking selcas. Lay took his camera out and snapped pictures of us. Then I heard Chen and Soo practicing a dialogue they would say to their mothers. Kai was worrying out loud that hus mama might not agree. Xiumin and Lay were sure that they’d get the approval, so they helped Soo and Chen practice. In front, Papa was talking to Luhan and Kris about what seemed to me was about the “Dong brothers.”

 

Beside me, Chanyeol was composing a text message to his mama on his phone. He said that once the plane touched down, he’d send it. Tao was joking that he’d send mama a text message to ask permission, too. To which Kris turned his head to us and replied,

 

Kris: Congratulations! You are adopted! You have to find your real mama.

 

And Tao flicked his head. Kris just chuckled and rubbed his head.

 

The plane touch down and we made our way to check-out. Chen almost forgot his suitcase, but luckily, one of the attendants noticed and brought his bag to him. After thanking, we went on our way to the car park. We waited as Luhan and Xiumin got the cars. They settled the parking bill and then we all got in the cars after loading our luggage. The next 45 minute drive home were silent. Most of us were sleeping. As for the other boys, they were busy texting their mothers. As soon as we arrived home, everyone got excited. Kris and Chanyeol opened the gate so the cars could be parked in. Then each unloaded his/her luggage and half-walked/ran to the door. Suho unlocked the door and dragged our suitcases in.

 

The minute all of us were in the house, Chanyeol’s phone rang. He instantly answered it. It was his mom, and he was grinning from ear to ear.

 

Chanyeol: Eomma…neh… Kamsahamnida… Arrasseo…. Neh, I won’t forget. You want to talk to papa? Oh, okay then… Thank youuuuuu… Saranghae, eomma. Kamsahamnida. Neh… Bogoshippo-yo… Bye-bye.

 

Then he almost shouted, “Yes!” And did a happy dance. He dragged his suitcase up the stairs to their room, then bounded back down, opened the box with skateboards and pulled out his and ran up the stairs singing.

 

The others took their phones our and stared. Hoping good news was on its way. When none of the phones rang, shuffling of feet and dragging of suitcases upstairs commenced. I was glad to be home. I dragged my suitcase behind me and slung my backpack behind my shoulders. Lay, who was on his way up, helped me drag my luggage up. Chanyeol helped the others too. Once in my room, I immediately hugged my pillow and closed my eyes. I wanted to sleep, but I wasn’t really sleepy. I could hear the others sighing loudly,”Ahh…this…my bed…I missed you…” LOL. I stood up and walked to my door. I saw the boys’ doors to their rooms open. I walked to Xiumin’s room, which was adjacent to mine, and all of them were flopped on their beds hugging their pillows.  Kyungsoo saw me and smiled, then gave a thumbs up. I just giggled. I went back to my room, but from the corner of my eye, I saw Chanyeol crawling on the floor of their room going out, and Chen was also on the floor of the hall, lying down. I laughed out loud and they saw me. Chanyeol crawled out the door like a soldier and Chen followed him. They made their way to the stairs- crawling. I raised my eyebrows.

 

Me: Are you really going to crawl downstairs?

Chen: Yes, why?

Chan: Watch us.

 

And indeed, they did. It turned out that Chen’s mama replied already and gave the permission for him to spend a month of summer vacation in Florida. So, two down. 5 brothers to go. Papa and mama were in their room downstairs, so they didn’t see the crawling action. I followed the two downstairs. But I didn’t crawl, of course. LOL. Chen took the TV remote and turned it on, he was sitting on the floor. Chanyeol sat on the floor by the coffee table, and I reclined on the couch. Papa came in through the kitchen, opened the fridge and took out a canned soda and sat down on one of the armchairs and watched TV with us. Chen told him that his eomma had said yes. Chanyeol added his good news, too.

 

Papa: That’s good. How about the others?

Chen: I don’t know, papa.

Papa: I’m not going to book that flight until I get all approvals from your mothers.

Chen: We know, papa.

Chan: Papa, what if not all us get approval?

Papa: Then, those who didn’t get approval would be left behind…

Chan: Whoa!!! Papa…

Papa: I’ll call your grandpa Wu and arrange for those who can’t go. I’m sure your grandpa will be glad to have one of you spend summer vacation with them.

Chen: But it would be best if all of us can go. And if we spend vacation with grandpa, then all of us should spend it there. Not one should be left behind.

Papa: Well, as it is, it won’t always be that way. Because the two of you already got permission and the others haven’t.

Chan: Unfortunately.

Papa: Is it?

Chan: Sort of, papa. We’d be separated.

Papa: Hmm…

 

I slouched on the couch, and finally laid down. Xiumin and Soo came down the stairs. Lay followed them just a few mi nutes after. Soo rummaged through the fridge, then called out:

 

Soo: Can someone please buy some stuff for me? Otherwise, all we’ll have for dinner are apples and oranges/

Papa: Where’s Luhan? Go call him and Kris.

Soo: Yes papa.

 

And he went back up the stairs. He came down with Luah and Kris. Papa gave instructions and asked if they had their credit cards with them. Luhan said yes and the 3 of them went out; Luhan, Kris and Soo. Xiumin took out an apple and a Coke, then went back up their room. Kai went down the stairs, followed by Sehun. Kai sat on the floor in front of me and leaned his head on the couch. Sehun went to the kitchen, opened the fridge, and complained.

 

Sehun: Is there no food?

Papa: Luhan’s just went out to do grocery.

Sehun: How long?

Papa: Patience, Sehun-ah.

Sehun: Okay papa.

Papa: Where are Baekhyun and Tao?

Sehun: Probably sleeping.

Papa: Hmm… Okay.

 

Then, with that, Lay went back up the stairs, slowly. Chen switched channels to a movie. Chanyeol stretched out on the floor and pulled a pillow from the couch. Kai followed suit and snored just a few minutes after. Papa just shook his head , when Chanyeol snored too.

 

Mama went out of their room and checked the fridge, too. When she found nothing but fruits, she went over to the phone and ordered pizza. Then asked:

 

Mama: Where are the others?

Chen: Upstairs, mama.

Papa: Luhan, Kris and Soo are out doing grocery.

Mama: Oh. So pizza is cancelled? I can call back.

Chen: No! Hehehe.

Sehun: Nooooooooooooo!

Mama: Alright.

 

Then she sat down on the other armchair, watching the movie with us. By the time Luhan returned with Kris and Soo, we were already munching on the pizza. Soo took a slice and ate it while unpacking the grocery bags. Kris and Luhan helped him stock the fridge and pantry. Kai and Chanyeol were awake and eating pizza too. Chen had to go upstairs and call the others. Baekhyun and Tao went down rubbing their eyes. Xiumin and Lay looed sullen. When asked why, they said in unison: “No reply from mama yet.”

 

So it was like that the whole afternoon. I helped Soo prepare dinner. Lay and Xiumin gege helped too. The rest of them converged in front of the TV and watched a movie. Tao took my place on the couch, with Baekhyun squeezing himself between Tao and the pillows. Kris sat on the floor beside papa, Sehun on one of the armrest beside mama. Luhan sat at the kitchen table with his laptop open. He was giving out recipe steps to Soo and Lay. But his eyes went to and fro the TV and laptop screen. Lay was baking a cake, while Soo was cooking braised beef.

 

Dinner was a bit different, because we were complete. Papa asked the boys about the travel plans. Chanyeol and Chen happily announced they were going to Florida with us. Tao still didn’t let go of his original plan, so he asked mama:

 

Tao: Mama, did you receive my text?

Mama: Text? About what?

Tao: I wanted to ask you if I can go to Florida with papa and the rest of the family.

Mama: Tao… Tsk, tsk…

Tao just laughed. He was lucky that Kris didn’t in with the adopted comment again.

 

And if Soo, Lay and Xiumin helped cook dinner, Chanyeol, Chen and Baekhyun volunteered to do the dishes. The 3 who cooked, went upstairs first, probably to go to sleep early. Luhan and Kris stayed to chat. I stayed to chat, too. The rest of the boys watched TV, while our parents went to their respective offices.

 

You might think that papa stopped working because he was home, but nope. He was probably checking some data on his computer and talking to his boss or business associates. And although mama didn’t complete her medicine licensure studies, she was involved in a non-governmental organization that helped provide medical assistance to parts of the country that needed help, especially the less fortunate. Most of her colleagues were wives of papa’s business associates.

 

After the 3 were done doing the dishes, we stayed for a bit more in the kitchen telling nonsense stories. The ones watching TV came to join. Once again, the kitchen was noisy. Kris came round to teasing Tao about being adopted and finding his real mama. Tao responded that Kris only said that because his mama didn’t really give him permission to spend vacation in Florida. Then Kris and Kai grumbled. They haven’t received any response from their mothers. Tao smiled triumphantly.

 

Neither papa, nor mama went out from their offices while we were in the kitchen. It was normal. We were used to this kind of setup. It was almost always just the 13 of us in the house. It was half past 9 PM when we decided to go upstairs and sleep. But when we reached the 2nd floor landing, Chen devised a prank on Xiumin, Lay and Soo who were still awake in their room. Chanyeol had to go back down to check if papa and mama were still in their office. And when he came back and said they were, Chen told us to hide, while he and Kris turned the electricity’s main switch off. They had to go back down near the back door because the switch was there. And just in case our parents checked, Kris would turn it back on immediately and made it look like he and Chen were lounging in the sitting/family area.

 

The rest of us hid in our rooms and waited. As expected, the 3 weren’t asleep yet, but were either online or composing music, for when the lights went off suddenly, all 3 of them shouted and went out the door. It was only dark for about 10 seconds, because Kris gege turned the switch back on and was probably lying down on the sofa with Chen. Then we heard papa and mama’s voices downstairs. We also heard the 3 going down the stairs, and one by one, the rest of us followed. We converged in the family area, squeezed amongst each other. Papa checked the switch and concluded that there may have been a change-power in our area.

 

Lay complained that he wasn’t able to save the lyrics to newest composition. Luckily he had it on his music book, but he didn’t wanna go through the hassle of encoding it again. Xiumin got disconnected from the internet, because the wi-fi got turned off when the electricty went off. And Kyungsoo was arranging his stuff in his cabinet and almost tripped on his suitcase while walking over to the cabinet. Kris and Chen pretended to be lounging downstairs when the lights went out and the rest of us giggled while saying we were about to sleep.

 

Papa and mama bade us goodnight after. Then all 13 of us went back upstairs to our respective rooms. When I heard everyone close their doors, I opened mine to peek outside. Chen, Chanyeol, Kris and Luhan also peeked from their rooms and laughed. Then we waved at each other and said goodnight.

 


 

I'm excited! The Wus are finally going to Florida! LOL