Camping Out and In.

His and Theirs: All 13 of Us

Then talks about Africa and the cruise ensued. It seemed like Timbuktu wasn’t a dreaded word anymore after mama said it was in Africa. So we’d have to make up a name for boarding school again. LOL.

 

Even as we cleared the table and washed the dishes, we were still talking about the African safari. Kris and Luhan did the dishes, and we sat at the breakfast counter. Papa and mama went to their room for an early night, because papa had to deal with some minor business the day after. Mama would be the one booking the tickets.

 

After the dishes were done, Xiumin suggested we put up a tent in the backyard and sleep there. Everyone agreed, and Chanyeol went to get the tent. Tao pointed out that all 13 of us won’t fit in one tent, so we had to put up two big tents. Then Kris and Luhan got sleeping bags and night lights. Although I was a girl, my brothers didn’t see me as a weakling. They treated me as one of the boys most of the time. I liked that. I didn’t feel left out. There was equality.

 

The tall boys put up the tents. Xiumin and Suho went to inform papa we were sleeping out in tents in the garden. I went to get a pillow and extra blankets and some mosquito repellant lotion. Baek gege did the same. When we went out, the tents were up, both entrance facing each other. I went inside the tent where Yo-oppa and Luhan- ge were. I neatly placed my pillow and blanket on top of my sleeping bag.

 

Kris gege brought his iPod speakers and set it up beside his sleeping bag. Baekhyun and Tao raced to get inside our tent. The other tent was already full. Xiumin and Suho assured us that papa gave the go-signal. Then just as everyone got settled in and converged outside, papa went out to check on us. He placed an emergency lamp by one of the tents. Then he bade us all goodnight. We continued telling stories and pretending we had a bonfire. Then Chanyeol started to tell a ghost story. I wasn’t afraid, but I wasn’t a fan of horror or ghost stories either. Suho grumbled because he also didn’t like to hear ghost stories. I covered my ears and moved to sit between Kris and Luhan. Suho plugged in his earphones. Soo also plugged in his earphones. Tao went to sit by me and started to talk to me about something else. I couldn’t really understand it, because I was thinking and focused on what Tao was saying.

 

Tao: Xiao Yi, just talk to me about anything… I really don’t wanna hear this story… Grrr…

Me: I don’t know what to say, gege. Maybe we should do as Suho and Soo oppa did?

Tao: Or just go inside the tent and sleep early?

Me: Yeah, maybe we should.

 

Then, we crawled into the tent. Baekhyun, surprisingly followed us and laid on his stomach, plugged his earphones and started humming to himself. Luhan peeked inside.

 

Luhan: Sleeping, you 3?

Baekhyun: huh? What? (He took out one earphone.)

Luhan: Goodnight?

Me, Tao, Baekhyun: Yes gege. Goodnight.

 

Then, he raised a thumb up and faced outside again. They were still probably telling ghost stories. Tao took out his iPod and shared the other earphone with me, then we drifted off to sleep.  I didn’t know when the others went to sleep, but when I woke up, everyone else was snoring. It was still dark, so I checked my phone and saw it was 4 AM. On my right, Tao was covered with his blanket. On my left, Kris was wrapped inside his blanket too, but as he was tall, his feet were sticking out. Luhan was sleeping by the tent entrance. Lay was on Kris’ other side. I couldn’t make out the others who were in the tent with us, because it was dark. Luhan probably forgot to leave the night lights on.

 

I tapped Tao’s shoulder, He stirred but didn’t wake up. I didn’t try again. I decided to go back to sleep.

 

When I woke up again, it was a little bright. My phone showed it was almost 6 AM. And I could see everyone in the tent. I also saw that Luhan was awake and sitting outside, talking with Xiumin and Suho oppa.

 

I crawled to the entrance of the tent. I almost kicked Kris gege in the process. I carried my pillow with me. I sat between Xiumin and Luhan, hugging my pillow. They were talking about possible activities in Florida. Xiumin had suggested camping out on the beach with a bonfire. Suho wanted to just explore the place. Luhan was interested in the beach house itself and the location. If I knew better, I’d say he was already thinking like a businessman.

 

Suho reminded us that today, we were supposed to pack our bags for the Florida trip, and tomorrow, grandpa Wu would fetch Kai. Luhan then took out his phone and made some notes. Xiumin did the same.

 

Xiumin: We’re leaving this house for a longer time this time. I bet papa would have lots of stuff to instruct us.

Suho: I hope I don’t get the task to take care of the house key and housekeeper’s schedules.

Luhan: Mama would see to that, now that they are here. Papa will just ask us to take care of the boys and Xiao Yi.

Suho: Oh yeah. Mama will indeed take care of that. I’m so glad they are home.

Xiumin: Organize the boys. Easy. LOL.

Suho: Maybe mama will take care of all us, instead.

Xiumin: As if you need taking care of… LOL.

Suho: I meant the younger ones, sorry.

 

Luhan: We better wake the others up. Then prepare breakfast, so we can pack early and finish early. Kai would have to finish packing now, for grandpa doesn’t want to be delayed. I’m sure when he comes tomorrow, he’d want to leave early too.

 

Suho: Yup. That old guy is busy enough for his age.

Xiumin: Go wake the others up then… By the way, who’ll pack the tents?

Luhan: You. LOL.

Xiumin: Fine. I shouldn’t have asked. LOL.

 

I crawled back inside the tent and shook Tao with one hand and Kris the other. Luhan woke the others up. The other tent became noisy right away. I heard Suho waking them up. Then everyone was awake. Luhan started nudging the boys with his foot. Complaints and grumbles could be heard. I quickly rolled my sleeping bag and went out the tent. Xiumin told me to place my sleeping bag in their room, for he’ll be the one packing our camping stuff. I nodded and went inside the house. I heard more footsteps following me as I went up the stairs. Tao, Baekhyun, Chen, Soo and Chanyeol were behind me. Soo opened the room he shared with Xiumin and Lay. We dumped our sleeping bags on one corner of the room, then I went to my room. I flopped down my bed and started to fall asleep again.

 

Soo and Xiumin probably was making breakfast… or Lay. They’ll just call me when breakfast was ready, anyway. So, I succumbed to my sleepiness. And sure enough, I felt a tap on my shoulder a few minutes (or an hour) after, It was Suho oppa. Breakfast was ready. I sat up, rubbed my eyes, then followed him downstairs.

 

Papa and mama were already there, but I noticed I wasn’t the only one woken up. Kai, Tao and Sehun were going down the stairs, rubbing their eyes.

 

After breakfast, we started packing our things for Florida. A month-long vacation needed at least 3 weeks-worth of clothes and activity stuff. We were staying in a beach house, so most of the stuff we should bring should be beach-stuff, although we also needed to bring jackets, parkas or sweater. Kai had to pack a month’s worth of his stuff to grandpa’s house. Papa left early that morning to attend to his business and mama was in her office booking our flight and calling housekeeping services and gardening services. She also called the village security to inform them we’d be gone for a month and to secure the place for us. Housekeeping and gardening services were managed by the village homeowners association, so they just arranged the schedule with mama.

 

Each room in the house was busy, strewn with open suitcases on the floor…again. Even our parent’s room, as mama packed for her and papa. All 13 of us went up and down the stairs to the laundry and to the kitchen, either to dump soiled clothes, get fresh clothes from the laundry, or to the fridge to get an apple, chips, or soda.

 

By lunch time, the older boys were packing the camping stuff. Baekhyun and Tao were trying to figure out how to pack their skateboards in their suitcases. In the end, they gave up and decided to ask papa if they can buy new ones in Florida. Soo talked Chanyeol and Chen into making lunch. The two were snickering at Soo when they didn’t know which spice to put in the boiling soup. Soo ended up cooking lunch on his own, and Yeol and Chen watching at the kitchen counter.

 

We ate lunch, then Xiumin, Kris and Luhan finished packing their suitcases and the camping stuff. But then mama said there was no need, because the beach house would have those in case we wanted to camp out and have a bonfire. The 3 rolled their eyes and grumbled. They wasted time packing stuff we didn’t need. LOL. And Sehun said: “It pays to ask questions, you know.”

 

Tao, Kai and Lay were talking in one corner of the sitting area, after lunch. They were discussing how Kai could enjoy vacation with grandpa Wu. Lay let him borrow one of his digital cameras and told him to take pictures of every nook and cranny of the house and restaurant. Kai didn’t accept the camera, but said he’d still take pictures using his phone and sent it through SMS.

 

Since all of us were done packing, the other boys set up the Xbox in the living room and made use of the large TV screen. Mama went back to her office. I stayed to watch my brothers play noisily. They drew lots on who should play first, and they placed bets again, which reminded Luhan to ask Baekhyun where his winnings were, because he won back in HK. Baekhyun just scratched his head and promised to pay up later. This was why I didn’t really play much computer games with them, because I didn’t wanna place any bets. I knew I would lose if I was the one playing. I’d go broke if I did. LOL.

 

Papa arrived around 5 PM that afternoon and called us all for a family meeting. First, he told Kai that grandpa would arrive early the next day to pick him up, then leave around midday. Kai just nodded and assured papa he’d packed his stuff already. Then papa asked mama about our flight reservations, plane tickets, itinerary and all. When mama gave him the details, she added to tell papa about the house security and housekeeping/gardening arrangements.

 

So, Kai would leave for grandpa Wu’s tomorrow and we leave for Florida the day after tomorrow. Papa dismissed us after, but asked the 4 oldest to come with him to his office. Probably last minute instructions again. As usual. Even if they were home, papa still delegated some work to the oldest boys. I think it was his way of preparing them for bigger responsibilities in the future.

 

Because we’d miss Kai, we decided to sleep in their room, no matter how squeezed in we would be. The older boys unpacked the sleeping bags again and placed some in Kai’s room. Then they moved the beds together. Papa wondered what was going on upstairs, so he went up and checked. When he found us converged in one room, he just raised his eyebrow and asked if we needed anything else. It was one of those rare moments that he went up the stairs to check on us, since his and mama’s room were downstairs near their offices. The spare bedroom upstairs was made to be the guest room. When we replied “No,” papa just nodded and went back down. After setting up the room, we trooped downstairs to help prepare dinner. Everyone wanted barbecue, so Kris and Chanyeol set up the grill outside, because they said it wasn’t really barbecue if we grilled meat inside. Kyungsoo and Lay prepared the marinade and the rest of us helped put the meat through the barbecue sticks. Mama baked muffins. She asked Lay’s help with perfecting the dough. And papa, instead of being in his office usually, he went outside to check on Kris and Chanyeol with the grill.

 

All of us helped, we grilled the barbecue in no time. While Kris and Chanyeol grilled, the rest set up the table by the pool. If it had been morning, it would’ve been a pool party. But no one was allowed to go swimming this time, and no one complained. Eating barbecue for dinner by the pool with my whole family was more than fun. We cherished this rare moment when we were complete. Papa, again, saw it an opportunity to “interview” his “boys” about the past school year. He focused on the older boys this time. Maybe because they were almost in college, he wanted to know their plans.

 

They were still talking about future plans when we finished eating. We, the younger kids, started clearing the table. Chanyeol and Chen cleaned and returned the grill. I, Tao and Sehun washed the dishes, then we hurried up to Kai’s room. We waited for the others to come. Kris, Luhan, Xiumin, Suho, Lay and Baekhyun were still talking with papa.

 

After their chores, Chanyeol, Chen, Kai and Kyungsoo went up to Kao’s room and waited with us. While we waited, we played charades. I guess we were just noisy because mama went up and knocked on the door and told us off.

 

Chanyeol looked out the window and said papa and the older brothers were done talking and were just returning the tables and chairs to their original places. We expected papa to come up and check back on us before going to bed. We weren’t mistaken. He came up with the older bots. He told us not to be noisy much and not to stay up too late, because grandpa Wu would be arriving early the next morning. He asked Kai again if his luggage was ready, then he said goodnight and went down.

 

We resumed playing charades with the older boys, but we minimized our voices this time. Since the beds were moved together, more than 3 people would be able to sleep on them. I choose the corner-most part of the bed. Tao, Sehun, Kai and Chanyeol were squeezed on the bed, too. The others were on the sleeping bags on the floor. After we got bored playing charades, each of us wished Kai a safe and happy vacation with grandpa and grandma Wu. As the oldest, Xiumin, Luhan and Kris spoke first.

 

Xiumin: Kai, you’ll be staying with grandpa and grandma Wu for a month. I hope you’ll enjoy it there. We’ll miss your snores and your constant visits to dreamland. We’re just a text away, anyway. Don’t forget to text us when you wake up and when you’re about to sleep.

Luhan: Yeah. We’re just a text away. Also, don’t be a headache to grandpa and grandma. If possible, go help out at the restaurant. Make use of your vacation to learn new things from there.

Kris: Dude, I pity you. Hahaha! I spent a week there 5 summers ago. I doubt you’ll remember, because you probably were with your mama. Anyway, what I can advise you is to explore the place and the neighboring areas to erase your boredom. Oh yeah…Grandma is a strict old lady… grandpa most. LOL.

 

And the rest followed to give their words of “wisdom” to Kai.

 

Suho: I think the hyungs have said the most important parts, but not all. LOL. Anyway, I just wanna tell you that since there’s a big time difference between Florida and grandpa’s, you might wanna adjust your time or at least remember the time differences. We might be sleeping when you wake up and vice versa.

Lay: Kai, don’t forget to take a picture of the restaurant and the house. You might wanna bring a notebook for some recipes. And do ask grandpa for their bestseller recipe, okay? And yeah, take care there. We’ll miss you.

Baekhyun: Dude, skateboard practice without you? Urgh… but if you’ll get the chance, do practice on your own. I know grandpa’s yard is big enough for practice. And don’t forget to text us. I hope papa will allow us to call once in a while.

Chen: Bro, if in case you get bored, don’t resort to talking to animals, okay? We’re still here anyway. Just in Florida. You can ask grandpa to make a long distance call if papa won’t allow us to call. I’m sure grandpa will let you.

Chanyeol: Don’t cry, okay? I know you’ll miss us, but please don’t cry. LOL. (And with this, Kai threw a pillow at Yeol and smirked.) Hey! No violence. You can’t do that to me if we’re in Florida. Okay, you can cry, but don’t tell us. We’ll miss you bro.

Kyungsoo: Kai, like what Lay gege said, don’t forget to ask grandpa for his bestseller recipe. And pictures of the house and restaurant. If grandma scolds you, don’t take it to heart. She might be a stern lady, but she’s not a hag. LOL. I know so… Remember when papa sent me there for 3 days?

Kai: Yeah. He said you needed to get the feel of being a Wu.

Kyungsoo: Exactly. I’m glad I was there only 3 days. I’m still a shy guy until now, but I think I know how it feels to be like a real Wu. LOL.

Tao: Kaila dude. LOL. Or should I say “girl.” (Kai threw another pillow.) We’ll miss you. I know you know that. And we know you’ll miss us too. But it’s only a month. And it’s not as if you’ll be shipped to Timbuktu or whatever is the new name. If you can be online, let’s all do video call or chat. Show us what you discover and we’ll do the same.

Sehun: I wonder if grandpa sells Bubble Tea in their restaurant… Can you ask? Also, if not, tell grandpa to try selling it. Don’t you dare cry, okay? Or else, I’ll let Chanyeol  hyung make up a name for you.

Me: All of them said everything, I guess. So Kai-oppa, don’t forget it. We’ll see you after a month. Grandpa and grandma will take good care of you, so you won’t really feel sad. Just text us when you miss us. We’ll ask papa to call you from time to time, or you could ask grandpa, too.

Kai: Xiexie nimen. Thank you everyone. I know you all want me to cheer up despite of this situation. I’ll miss you guys. And Xiao Yi. LOL. Thanks for doing this for me. I really appreciate the effort. This’ll be another indoor camping  experience. LOL.

 


 

I want to go camping with them. OTL. Hahaha