Kai's POV : At Grandpa Wu's

His and Theirs: All 13 of Us

Why did I have to have the stubborn mother? Why not Chen-hyung’s or Chanyeol-hyung’s? Why mine? Now I’m stuck here at grandpa Wu’s. There are no means of leisure; well, if you count walking up and down the stairs, and strolling down the lawn toward the family/ancestor’s shrine, then that’s the only leisure I can find.

 

Although the place was big, there was no one else I can enjoy it with. Grandpa Wu was overseeing the restaurant he owned in front of the two-storey house. He wasn’t much of a company anyway, because grandpa doesn’t play baseball or do skateboarding. Grandma Wu was always busy with her garden at the back of the house. And of course, she wouldn’t do skateboarding or baseball with me The household help were always busy. The only time I’d have company was during mealtimes.

 

I always checked my phone for text messages or calls from mama or my brothers. Papa rarely called his younger sons, so I didn’t really expect any from him. Mama called twice the last 10 hours since my lot left for Florida. I knew she was making sure I didn’t sneak to come with them. Only when I handed the phone to grandpa Wu, so he could talk to her, did she stop bugging me. Apparently, grandpa lectured her about papa leaving me with him and grandma while they were in Florida. And because of that, the responsibility fell on them and not mama’s.

 

Actually, full custody was awarded to papa, because I was barely 2 years old when I was brought to him, mama all but gave me away. From what I know, she agreed to award the full custody to papa, so she can pursue or continue her modeling career. The only problem with it was she always threatened to contest or to reverse the ruling for the court to give her the full custody… just because I was under 18 years old. However, as I am over 10 years old, I would be given the privilege to choose where I wanted to stay. But I didn’t want that to happen, because either way, I would be sad if I chose the other. I love my mom even if she was stubborn. In fact, it was only her stubborn-ness that I didn’t like about her. Nevertheless, I still love her. That’s why I lived with her until I turned 10.

 

Now, grandpa Wu was a strict man, so I wondered how papa got away with 13 children from different mothers…well, the ones like me, anyway, because papa married the mother of his 6 children.

 

As if grandpa could hear my thoughts, he brought me to the pathway that led to the ancestor’s shrine. On the sides of the path, there were stone markers dug and engraved with a name. Our names. All 13 of us. Starting with Xiumin-hyung down to Xiao Yi. I counted them all.

 

Grandpa said that for every child born of papa, he had to dig and carve the markers on his own and present it as offering to the ancestors, as a punishment. I guess papa thought 13 markers and offerings were too much to handle, since he’d done it every year, so he stopped fooling around. But grandpa also said that although 13 was an unlucky number to most people, to the Chinese, it was a lucky number.

 

I couldn’t wait to tell the others about what I learned, but it had to wait until the end of the month when they return home. I was only on my 3rd day here at grandpa’s, so it was going to be at least another two and a half weeks more.

 

When I thought about it, I missed them more. I very much wanted to know what they were doing and where they went. So I was constantly checking my phone for updates. They weren’t always able to reply to my text messages because it was overseas and they may have forgotten to set their phones to roaming status. My laptop’s webcam got busted I guess, so we weren’t able to do video calls, either.

 

Grandpa seemed to have noticed, for when  I stole a glance at my phone during dinner, he asked if I received a call or text from my biological mother. When I said no, he then proceeded to ask if papa or the boys had called. When I shook my head, he just said, “I see…” And that was it. Complete silence on the dining table with grandma Wu occasionally gesturing to me to eat more.

 

If grandpa Wu was strict, grandma Wu was the one who’d fuss over you. She would always check if my plate was full during mealtimes, or if my room was clean and if I have what I needed for the day. She would also keep reminding me to change my shirt if it was drenched with sweat after I made my routine walk around the house and the block. She would also constantly ask me if the household help had washed my clothes or ironed them. And if I went out for a walk on the grounds, she would find time to check up on me. Only when I spent time lounging in my room or do people watching from the farthest table of the restaurant would she not bother, because grandpa was there. She knew I was “safe.”

 

Grandpa allowed me to stay in the restaurant doing nothing except watch people come and go, eat and talk. But whenever a friend of his would visit or eat there, he would call me and introduce me. He’d start with mentioning papa’s name, then introducing me as the 11th son and heir of the Wu family. The friend would ask about papa’s other siblings who had sons, but grandpa would just wave his hand and tell him that papa was oldest, so the heirs would come directly from his bloodline, although, the other grandsons’ would also be heirs, but papa’s would be the head of the family.

 

 

I would just nod and smile if they glance at me and answer promptly if asked. But grandpa’s friends didn’t ask a lot of questions to me, which suited me very well, for I felt I was being put in the spotlight or, worse, in the witness stand.

 

When there were no grandpa Wu friends, I’d nod off and sleep right there with my head on the table. I don’t know if I snored loudly or snored at all, but even if I did, I didn’t mind and no one scolded me. LOL. As long as grandpa didn’t scold me for sleeping in his restaurant, I’d be found spending quality time with the table. LOL.

 

 

Bedtime was a different story. After dinner, grandpa would sit in his office for a while, probably checking his accounting books. Grandma would go to the living room and drink tea. By this time, they’d let me go up to my room to sleep. It was so damn early. Like 8 PM… sometimes, just 7:30 PM. Instead of going right to sleep, I’d wait for at least 15 minutes and sneak out the back door and go for a walk outside the property. The place wasn’t surrounded by a fence. Most of the area was surrounded by trees that marked the entrance. Because the restaurant closes at around 9 PM, there were still people coming and going through the entrance between the pine trees. I’d walk for about 30 minutes before going back and slipping through the backdoor and back to my rom. That was when grandpa or grandma would peep in and check if I was asleep. But of course I wasn’t. I only pretended to sleep, and when both of them would sleep, I’d take out my phone and check for messages.  I was sure, at that time, it was morning in Florida. And sure enough, I’d get 12 messages, each from my brother and my only sister. After replying, I’d be contended and fall asleep.

 

This routine went on ‘til the 5th day. I got a very nice surprise on the 6th day. I wasn’t expecting it, so I kind of overreacted a bit when I learned what it was. I dragged my feet down to breakfast and expecting to be scolded by grandpa and grandma because of my mood, I hung my head down. But when I came in the dining room, both of them were not there. However, breakfast was served just for me. I asked one of the household help where my grandparents went and they just said the two were invited by a friend, so they had to leave early. I just shrugged and ate my meal. Somehow, my mood lightened because I didn’t get any scolding, and if I was unsupervised, the day would turn out well. I planned on exploring the nearby lake and to probably take a dip, but I decided against it when I realized grandpa might know if the household help will tell on me. I imagined hearing the words “grounded” and flinched. My day looked gloomy again.

 

For sure, it was evening in Florida, so I didn’t expecting my brothers to text me I went back to my room and laid down. I heard a beep. It was my phone. It was Xiumin hyung asking how was my 6th day with grandpa and grandma Wu. I replied, then closed my eyes, ready to sleep to fall back to sleep. Another beep on my phone. Xiumin hyung’s reply was to tell me they were all off to the beach for a bonfire just a little way off the backyard. I was envious, but still I wished them a happy bonfire night. After that, he just replied one more time, then I bade goodnight. I closed my eyes again and drifted to sleep.

 

I woke up around lunchtime. I stretched my arms, yawned and sat up. I stood up and made my way down the stairs. No sign of grandma or grandpa yet, so I lounged at the window set in the living room and turned the TV on. Yang, who was a household help, came in to tell me lunch was ready. I asked her if she knew when my grandparents would be home, but she just shook her head. I asked if I could eat where I was, because I wanted to watch TV. At first, she looked afraid, but just nodded and went to get the food. I dragged the coffee table to the window seat and followed Yang to the dining room. She was already putting my plate and food on a tray. I told her I’d carry it myself, but she scolded me. I picked up the glass and pitcher anyway, and proceeded back to the living room. When I put down the pitcher and glass, I saw here shaking her head and mumbling, “you shouldn’t have, young master.” I just smiled at her and took the tray from her. I sat down and started eating. She went back to the kitchen.

 

I was still eating when grandpa and grandma arrived. As soon as they entered the house, they saw me on the window seat, eating my lunch. Grandpa cleared his throat in disapproval. I knew it wasn’t proper to eat a meal anywhere else except at the dining room (or at the restaurant). I smiled sheepishly as I chewed my food. Grandma just shook her head and sank down the nearest chair.

 

Grandpa: Kai, how many times do I have to tell you to eat in the dining room?

Me: Uhm… Sorry grandpa. I just wanted to watch TV. I felt bored, actually.

Grandpa: But you know perfectly well it’s not proper?

Me: Yes, grandpa.

Grandpa: Just how bored are you anyway?

Me: Really bored grandpa. Zhen de, zhen de…

Grandpa: Bored enough to eat in the living room to watch TV, hmm…

Me: Yes, grandpa.

Grandpa: You know you ought to be punished for this?

Me: Can I not be punished please?

 

And I pouted so hard, even while chewing my food. Grandpa cleared his throat again and assessed my face. I slowly forked my food and raise it to my mouth and ate it.

 

Grandpa: Hmm… Actually, there’s something else we need to discuss. Finish your food first. Let’s talk in my office, okay.

Me: (Gulp) Yes, grandpa.

 

Then he stood and went the stairs followed by grandma. Possibly changing clothes. I finished my food and brought the dishes on the tray to the kitchen. Yang followed me, glass, pitcher in hand. I washed my hands, dried them, and proceeded to grandpa’s office. I knocked on the door; no answer. He probably wasn’t down yet. I went back to the living room and watched TV again. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and turned to look. It was grandpa. He gestured for me to follow him to his office. I turned off the TV and followed him. Once inside the office, I sat down on the chair by his table. He sat on his swivel chair. He somehow reminded me of papa when he was in his office. Then, grandpa placed a big envelope on his table, then he put his hands together, twiddling his fingers.