Problem with you

What Is Pain?

Seungho's POV

I stood at the counter, spacing out until someone tapped me on my shoulder.

"Hyung, you alright?" A part-timer asked.

"Yeap~" I smiled.

"Take a break if you're tired, since there isn't any crowd now." He said.

"I will. Are you leaving already?" I asked.

"Yea~ School~ Ugh~" He said with a bored expression.

"It's nice to be able to go to school." I said.

"Errr... Haaa~" He responded awkwardly.

"Go on~" I patted his shoulder.

"Okay. Bye, Hyung~" He waved.

"Be safe and have fun." I said.

"I hope!" He laughed as he headed out.

The ringing of the bells at the door echoed through the empty cafe. I sighed and slummed my upper half of my body against the counter top.

Kikwang was on the night shift while I was doing the full day shift. The carnival was undergoing some maintenance work therefore I had a week off. It may sound nice but I expect things to be tougher when I get back.

I glanced at the clock. It was 3PM, two more hours until Kikwang comes and five more hours till I knock off. I cannot wait to see my Aeri~

Now that I think about Aeri, I cannot help but also think of Min Jeong. She disappeared that day even before I had the chance to apologize to her for my rudeness.

/FLASHBACK

I jerked out of sleep out of a sudden.

"~" I hissed when I realized I had fallen asleep.

I should be looking after Aeri, making sure she is okay, and yet I fell asleep. How irresponsible of me.

I turned to the side of the bed where Aeri slept and got a shock when I found it empty.

"Where's my Aeri?" I muttered to myself as I looked around.

Every morning when Aeri woke up, she would try to squeeze herself into my arms or do all sorts of funny stuff just so I would wake up. It is very unlike Aeri to disappear.

"Aeri~" I called out as I looked under the bed, thinking she might have fallen off although the possibilities were very low as Aeri has never fallen off the bed before.

When it was clear she was not in the room, I started panicking. I could literally feel my heart beating wildly against my chest. All sorts of bad possibilities started clouding my mind.

"AERI!!" I shouted as I headed outside.

"BABY! WHERE ARE YOU!?" I yelled.

"Calm down! She's here!" I heard a voice say.

I let out a breath of relief when I saw Aeri. She is safe~ But, what was Min Jeong doing here?

"Appa!" Aeri called out, trying to climb down from Min Jeong's lap.

Min Jeong let her down, allowing her to run into my arms.

"She..." she tried to explain, but I glared at her.

"Wh... what?" She asked, sounding scared.

"WHAT DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING BY JUST TAKING HER AWAY FROM ME LIKE THAT!?" I shouted at her. I had no idea why I did that.

"I... I did not..." She stammered.

I was about to say something when Aeri kissed me on my cheek.

"Aigoo~ Baby, did you just kiss me?" I asked my baby girl.

She chuckled, burying her face into my chest. Her kiss extinguised my anger entirely, replacing it with bliss.

"Aigoo~ I love you so much~" I kissed her.

"Min..." I looked up to find only Aeri and I in the house. Where did Min Jeong go to? Was she my imagination? But I am very positive I saw her. Did she leave? But how did I not see her leave?

"Where did she go to?" I muttered to no one in particular.

Aeri squeezed my cheeks with her little palms, chuckling at how I look.

"Are you laughing at me!?" I tickled her. She was a laughing mess in my arms.

When she finally calmed down, She pointed to the door.

"You want to go out?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"Unni...iee!!" She said.

"Unnie? What unnie? Who?" I asked.

She frowned and pouted.

"Min... Jeong?" I tried.

She nodded.

"Ahh~ So she really left? How rude~ Not even saying goodbye." I commented.

I was surprised when Aeri threw her soft toy at me.

"What is it, baby?" I asked, pouting at her.

"Naughty!!" She pointed at me.

"Me!?" I asked.

"Naughty! Naughty!" She said.

"I am naughty?" I asked.

She nodded with a pout.

"How am I naughty?" I pouted back.

She squashed my cheeks with her palms, laughing at how she made me look.

/END OF FLASHBACK

I jumped when my phone vibrated against the counter top, causing a loud sound.

"Damn~" I muttered. I hated the feeling of being shocked. It made me feel vulnerable.

"Yes, Kiki?" I answered.

"Hyung~" He called out, his voice hoarse.

"What's wrong with your voice!?" I exclaimed.

"Cold~" He said, and then broke into a coughing fit.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yea.. Yes. I just want to ask you if you could manage about an hour or two more alone? I'm feeling slightly drowsy now after the medicine so I thought of coming in a little later. Can you manage?" He asked.

"Are you crazy!? Don't come at all! Rest at home! I'll take over you!" I said.

"But..." He muttered.

"No buts~ You are the manager, but I am your hyung. In times like this, my words are final." I said.

"Haa~ Your words are always final, hyung~" He said.

"Whatever~ Alright, I am hanging up. Go sleep!" I said.

"You sure you can manage, hyung?" He asked.

"Yes. Don't worry!" I assured him.

"Alright. Thank you, hyung~" He said.

"Are you seriously going to act like that with me?" I asked.

"Ahh~ No, hyung~" He said.

"Rest well and feel better soon, Kiki~" I said before ending the call.

I sighed as I dialed the number to Ahjumma’s place.

“Hello?” She answered.

“Hello, Ahjumma. It’s me. Seungho.” I said.

“Oh, Seungho! You’ll be knocking off early today, am I right? Do you need dinner?” She asked.

“Ahjumma, my friend is sick therefore I am taking his shift.” I said.

“Oh, I see. So does that mean you’ll be late tonight?” She asked.

“Yes, I am sorry.” I apologized.

“You need to rest, Seungho ah~ Just because you don’t feel tired does not mean your body isn’t protesting.” She said.

“I understand.” I said.

I heard her sigh over the phone.

“Is Aeri awake or napping?” I asked.

“She’s awake. Do you want to speak to her?” She asked.

“May I?” I asked.

“Of course! She’s your girl~” She said. I heard her call out to Aeri.

“It’s Appa.” I heard her say.

“APPA!!!!” Aeri screamed over the phone.

“Hahahaha! My baby girl~ What a way to greet me.” I laughed.

“Hehehe~ Appa!” She called out again.

“Baby girl, I love you. Be a good girl and listen to Ahjumma well, okay? Appa will be late tonight.” I said.

“Aeri? Sweetheart? Are you there?” I called out when she did not reply me.

“Appa~ Come home.” She said sadly.

“Aeri ah~” I muttered, feeling the ache in my heart.

My ability to feel emotional pain was not affected with the fact I could not feel physical pain, and I believe because of my inability to feel physical pain, I could feel emotional pain more greatly than that of a normal person.

 “Seungho, are you still there?” Ahjumma asked.

“Yea.” I mumbled.

“Aeri is okay. Don’t worry. Get back to work, but remember to have your meals and take occasional breaks.” She said.

“Okay.” I said.

“Tell Aeri I love her, and thank you so much for your help, Ahjumma.” I continued.

“Stop thanking me.” She said.

“Hee~ Thanks.” I said.

“Tsk! I’m going to get angry!” She said playfully.

“Aww~ Please don’t!” I pleaded.

“Alright, alright. I’m hanging up.” She said.

We said our goodbyes before ending the call.

“I’m sorry, Aeri ah~” I said to the wallpaper on my phone; it was a photo of my baby girl and me. Indeed, it has been long since I spent a full day with her.

For once, I was grateful for an endless crowd. It kept me busy and stopped me from thinking about Aeri. When I finally looked at the clock again, it was already almost 9.30PM.

I sat down at the side and let out of a breath of relief. I was completely zoned out until I heard the ringing of the bells at the door, indicating that there was a customer.

“Welcome~” I said as I stood up and turned to tidy my attire.

“Hi, could I get a mocha frappe with less whipped cream?” The voice asked.

“Sure.” I said as I turned around.

My eyes widened at the sight of the customer.

Min Jeong was standing in front of me, dressed in simple clothes with her hair tied up messily. She was holding her laptop in one hand and had her bag in the other.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?” I yelled without really meaning to.

“Sorry.” She said softly before turning and walking towards the direction of the door.

"Damn it!" I muttered as I smacked my mouth. But then again, it did not really serve a purpose because not like I could feel the pain~

Yang Seungho, what exactly is wrong with you!?