Run away

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong's POV

/FLASHBACK

To say I was not surprised that he pushed me would be a lie, but I knew he did not mean it because he looked like he was in more shock than I am at his sudden gesture.

"It's fine!" I said, dusting the dirt of my legs and arms.

"This is nothing." I smiled as I dapped the blood off my palm.

"It's.. I.. Nothing." He muttered as he turned and ran away.

"Hey!!" I yelled. Why did he run away?

/END OF FLASHBACK

"Hey!" I was startled by my friend's loud voice.

"Wh... what?" I asked.

"Why are you spacing out?" She asked.

"Just...." I mumbled, sipping on my drink.

"Are you in love?" She asked.

I choked at her sudden question.

"Don't die!!" she laughed, patting my back.

I glared hard at her.

"Are you really in love?" She asked, her face inches away from mine.

"No~" I said, pushing her face away.

"What happened here?" She asked, pointing at my palm.

"I fell." I lied.

"Really?" She asked.

"Yes." I said, avoiding her gaze.

"There's something! Tell me!" She said, cupping my cheeks, forcing me to look at her.

"I... Fine. But don't have weird ideas." I warned.

"Of course!" She nodded excitedly.

I told her the whole story, expecting her to yell when I told her he pushed me, but instead she grinned.

"He seems cute." She said.

"He pushed me. It's not on purpose, but he still did." I emphasized.

"Aye~ I would have pushed you too. On purpose. So irritating." She said.

"WHAT!?" I exclaimed.

She stuck out her tongue at me.

“Am I really very irritating?” I asked.

She laughed and pinched both side of my cheeks.

“Yes.” She said, staring into my eyes.

“Arghhh!” I pushed her away, messing up my hair.

Am I really irritating?

Seungho’s POV

“YOU PUSHED HER!?” Kikwang yelled, staring at me with wide eyes.

“I didn’t mean it!!” I protested.

“I couldn’t believe it, hyung. Wah~ How could you!?” He looked disappointed.

“I didn’t mean to do it! How many times do I have to repeat myself!?” I yelled.

“Did you apologize?” He asked.

“Apologize?” I asked.

“Ya~ You know, like… say ‘I’m sorry’. That’s called apologizing.” He explained as though I was dumb.

“I know what apologizing means.” I smacked his arm.

“But did you do it?” He asked.

“I…” I muttered.

“You didn’t!?” He exclaimed.

“I was in shock.” I said softly.

“Oh. Wow.” He said sarcastically.

I glared at him.

“You should be glaring at yourself!” He flashed a mirror in my face, startling me.

“See! Even you are shocked by your own rude attitude!” He said, slamming the mirror down.

Am I really rude?

***
The following days after knocking off work at the carnival, I found myself looking out for her presence, but she was not there.

“Why are you looking for her?” I asked myself.

“Oh, because you need to apologize for your bad behavior.” I replied myself.

“But it’s not exactly your fault, right? You didn’t mean to push her. She grabbed you. It’s a natural response. Why should you be apologizing?” I asked myself again.

“But you pushed her anyway. You’re at fault anyway.” I said.

“But… she’s the one not appearing now. How can you apologize to someone who doesn’t appear, right? It’s not your fault, it’s not your fault.” I convinced myself.

“It’s your fault, Yang Seungho. It’s absolutely your fault.” I sighed.

It is my fault.

“What’s your fault?” A voice behind me said suddenly.

I jumped in surprised.

“What’s your fault?” The voice asked again, appearing in front of me this time. Min Jeong.

“Noth… nothing! Why are you eavesdropping!?” I shouted.

“Eavesdropping? But you were talking so loudly.” She said.

“You’re eavesdropping me!” I insisted.

“I’m sorry.” She said.

I looked at her. Did she just apologize to me for something she did not do?

“Why are you apologizing?” I asked.

“Huh?” She looked at me, and then laughed.

“What so funny?” I asked.

“You’re funny. You’re confused, aren’t you?” She asked.

“No.” I said.

“Yes, you are. You accused me, and then when I apologize, you ask why.” She said.

“I just cannot understand why you can apologize so easily. If you think that I am accusing you, then why did you still apologize? Do you not have any pride?” I asked.

She frowned. Did my words offend her?

“Is pride very important?” She asked, and then turned to walk away.

I think I did offend her.

Before I could say something, she stopped and turned to me.

“You know, sometimes, the definition of apology means more than it is stated in the dictionary. Apologizing can mean you acknowledge that you are at fault and that you’re sorry. It can also mean you are sorry about the situation although it has nothing got to do with you. And also, it can mean that the person you are apologizing to mean more than the so-called pride you have.” She said.

Is she trying to confuse me?

“I apologized because you felt that I was eavesdropping you, although I did not think I was. But just because I did not think I am doing something does not mean I am not. You are the one feeling it. I cannot judge your feelings with that of mine. I could easily argue and say no, but why? Why would I do that? For pride, like you say?” She asked.

I continued staring at her, getting more confused at her every sentence.

“There are many more things that mean more than pride.” She said.

“Like… friends.” She continued.

She smiled and shrugged her shoulders, and then turned to walk away.

“I’m sorry!” I apologized, loud enough for her to be able to hear.

She turned to me, titling her head in confusion.

“For… that.” I pointed at her palm.

She looked at her palm, and then smiled at me.

“Just a mere apology?” She asked.

“You… Yah! You were talking about apology and all just now, and now!?” I yelled.

“At least buy me a meal, no? You pushed me. How ungentlemanly.” She said.

Oh my. I am amazed at the speed she could twist her words.

I was about to rebut her when I remembered Aeri. I had to go pick her up! Ahjumma told me when I called to check on her that Aeri is not feeling too well.

"May I borrow your phone?" I asked her.

She looked at me strangely but still lent her phone to me. I dialed Ahjumma's number and waited patiently for her to answer.

When she finally did, I almost dropped my phone after hearing what she said.

“I’m coming.” I mumbled as I shoved the phone back to her and started running.

“HEY! I WAS JUST KIDDING! WHY DO YOU KEEP RUNNING AWAY!?” I heard her yell.

Sorry, Min Jeong. I do not mean to run away from you, but my Aeri is more important. Next time, I will apologize to you sincerely, buy you a meal, make you happy, whatever you say, but now, Aeri first.

***
photo tumblr_mmssmvP5te1rp8tfjo6_250_zps850ba0eb.gifMin Jeong: Just a mere apology?