No explanation

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong's POV

To my surprise, Junhyung and Seungho got close pretty quickly. They worked very well with each other, making fighting for Aeri's case so much easier. I left Seungho to Junhyung for I had an equally important case to work on.

"Hey, boys~" I greeted as I entered Junhyung's office.

Seungho turned to me, gesturing me to be quiet. He pointed at Junhyung who was asleep on the couch.

"Sleeping on his job?" I teased as I sat next to Seungho, resting my cheek against his arm.

"He's not well. I made him sleep." Seungho said, playing with my fingers.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked.

"He's having a bad headache." Seungho said.

"He's just so awesome at taking care of himself." I said.

"Like you?" Seungho asked, poking my cheek.

I smacked him on his thigh, earning laughter from him.

"You look tired too. Shall we call it a day? Wake him up and send him home, then I'll send you home too." I said.

"How about you stay over instead? I feel like it's been 3578 years since I saw you." He said.

"How did you come up with that?" I laughed.

"I'm awesome like this." He winked.

It has only been a few days since he knew Junhyung, but he is getting influenced so much with his cockiness already.

"Hey~" I shook Junhyung gently.

He opened his eyes and then closed them again, grabbing my arm and conveniently using it as a pillow. I saw Seungho's eyes widened.

"Get up!" I yelled, smacking Junhyung's head.

"Ouch!!" He frowned, pouting at me.

"Get up. Let's go home." I laughed, rubbing his head.

"It hurts!" He whined.

"Alright, alright. Got it. I'm sorry." I said, pulling him up.

Seungho was frowning as he looked at us.

"Opps. I sense jealousy." Junhyung said.

"Hyung, don't worry. She'll always be yours." He said.

"Of course." Seungho said with overflowing cockiness.

"Oh my. That was the most confident I ever heard of him." Junhyung said.

"Don't underestimate Seungho." I smiled, linking arms with him.

On the way back to Junhyung's place, I stopped by a cafe to get him some food.

"You don't have to do this." Junhyung said.

"You cannot afford to fall sick." I said.

"Do you have medicine at home?" I asked.

"Yes, and when did you become so concerned over my body?" He asked.

"Who is concerned about you? I'm only concern if you can work on the case." I .

"Of course." He nodded, looking sad.

"You know I am kidding!" I said quickly.

"I know, but I don't care." He stuck out his tongue.

"Okay, whatever. Get out." I said when we arrived.

"See you! Thanks for the food!" He said.

"Rest well!" I said.

"See you tomorrow, Seungho hyung." Junhyung said.

In the midst of our childish teasing, we did not realize that Seungho had fallen asleep.

"He must be real tired." Junhyung said.

"And I am sure you are too. Go rest." I said.

"See you." He waved.

"Erm... Junhyung." I called out.

"Yes?" He turned back.

"Thank you." I said.

"For?" He asked.

"Everything." I said.

He waved me off and headed into the lift lobby of his apartment. I made sure he was gone before going off.

"It wouldn't be long before everything comes back into order." I said to Seungho who was asleep.

I stopped the car at the side just to watch him sleep. How I wish his everyday could be as peaceful as now.

***
“NO!” He yelled suddenly, shocking me.

I had parked the car aside to let him sleep. While he slept, I worked on my stuff. I was so engrossed in my work I had no idea he was having a nightmare.

“It’s okay. It’s okay. It’s just a nightmare. It’s not real.” I hushed him.

“It felt so real. Them taking Aeri away.” He panted.

“It’s not real.” I said, comforting him.

He sighed and looked around.

“Where are we?” He asked.

“Somewhere. I thought I’ll let you sleep.” I said.

“Oh. What are you doing?” He asked, looking at my laptop.

“It’s nothing. Just work.” I smiled as I closed the lid of my laptop.

“Shall we go? Do you want to eat something before we go back?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“I want to see Aeri.” He said.

“Alright. We’ll go get Aeri now.” I smiled as I started the engine.

***
“Thank you.” He thanked Ahjumma as he carried Aeri in his arms.

“Sorry for being late.” I apologized.

“Don’t worry about it. She’s been a really good girl. You guys look tired. Please get a lot of rest during this period of time.” She said.

“Thank you. Rest well. Good night.” I smiled.

“Appa~” Aeri woke up while we were walking back.

“Yes, sweetheart? Sleep on.” Seungho said, kissing her forehead.

Aeri mumbled something we both could not make out, and then fell back into sleep.

When we were finally back, he cleaned her while she slept.

“She sleeps like a log.” He commented, laughing.

“Like you.” I said, lying on the bed, watching him.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” He asked, eyebrow raised.

“I can’t look at my man?” I asked.

“Oh. Of course you can.” He said.

“Are you going to shower?” He asked while I was in the midst of staring at him.

“Shall we… do it together?” I asked.

His eyes widened.

“No?” I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders.

“I’ll go prepare the water.” I smiled as I headed into the toilet.

We helped each other scrubbed our backs, gave each other massages. There was nothing ual about it. We were just cleaning each other like we were one.

After we were done, we helped each other dry our hair before climbing into bed.

“Sleep well.” He said, kissing me on my forehead.

“You too.” I said, locking our fingers together.

As he turned off the lights, he snuggled closer to me. I held him close to me, feeling his breath against my neck as he fell into a deep slumber.

***
“Omo!” I yelped when I knock into a figure.

I walked out of the toilet not looking where I was going thinking that I was alone in the living room.

“Seung…” Before I could finish, he turned around to greet me with glaring eyes.

“What’s all these?” He asked coldly, pointing at my laptop and papers that were spread everywhere, all filled with information and notes on him and the carnival.

I swallowed hard as I shift my gaze away from Seungho. I could not bear to look at him.

“Why?” He asked, obvious hurt in his voice.

I bit my lower lip and squeezed my eyes shut.

“WHY!? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO LIE TO ME!?” He shouted.

“I’m sorry.” I said softly.

“Was it fun?” He asked.

“Huh?” I looked at him, confused at his question.

“Seeing me act like a fool, trusting you and falling right into your trap. Was it fun for you? It better have been.” He said coldly.

I shook my head.

“Ahh~ What a pity.” He scoffed.

We stared at each other for a while.

“Are you not even going to explain?” He asked, his voice soft.

I looked away. There was no explanation valid enough.

“I knew you were doing something behind my back. But I trusted you enough to not dig further. Seriously, I should have known better, no? Why would anyone fall in love with someone like me if not because I have something you needed? How ing naive of me.” He said.

“You can doubt my everything, but you cannot doubt my love for you.” I said.

“Ha! Love? Really? You love me?” He asked.

I stared at him, controlling my tears.

“But you know, thank you.” He said.

I looked at him quizzically.

“Thank you for proving to me again that people like you cannot be trusted. Thank you for letting me realize how stupid I have been. And thank you, thank you for letting me finally know how pain feels.” He said.

“Although it shouldn’t, but it ing hurts.” He said, rubbing his chest, his eyes glistening with tears.

He turned to walk away. The moment I heard his door slam close, I crumpled to the ground, bawling my eyes out.

I am sorry, Seungho ah. I am sorry.