Dream

What Is Pain?

Seungho's POV

I went back to work despite Minjeong's protest. I cannot afford to miss work any longer.

"So you finally decide to come back?" The carnival boss asked.

"I am sorry." I apologized.

"Oh, no, no. Do not apologize. You're human like all of us, you are bound to get hurt and require medical help, no?" He said, his voice mocking.

I looked down, not saying anything.

"Get out and get on with your freak show!" He roared, throwing his paper weight at me.

I bowed and hurried out.

"You're in no position to be angry, Yang Seungho." I muttered as I walked to the changing room, or rather, stripping room in my case, since my post requires me to be undressed instead of dressed.

"Did he scold you badly?" One of the team member asked.

"No more and no less of his usual." I smiled.

"He's an ." He muttered.

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled.

"How are you? Better?" He asked, looking at my arm.

"Honestly, I have no idea." I said.

"Ahhh~" He bit his lower lip.

"But I guess it should be better. The doctor said so, and if not, Minjeong would not allow me back here too." I blabbered.

"Minjeong?" He asked cheekily.

"Yea~" I looked down to hide my redden cheeks.

"The girl who brings you lunch?" He asked.

I smiled slightly.

"Aigoo! Our Seunghoie!" He ruffled my hair.

"WHAT ARE YOU FREAKS STILL DOING HERE!? DO YOU THINK THE PATRONS WILL WAIT FOREVER!?" A loud voice roared. The carnival boss.

Everyone hurried to prepare themselves and then rush out. Just as I was going out, he stopped me.

"Do a good job, yea?" He threatened.

After a week plus of break, it took me a little while before I gotten back use to work, the humiliation and all.

I closed my eyes, thinking of Minjeong and Aeri as I got smacked, whipped, punched and pinched.

I had no idea how long had passed until I felt a warm hand caressing my arm, and fingers intertwining with mine. I opened my eyes to find Minjeong smiling at me. There were no one else around. Only us.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I was worried." She said, helping me down.

"Worried for me?" I asked the obvious.

"No, for the clouds." She let out a cheeky smile.

She covered a towel over me before sitting down next to me.

"How could anyone bear to do this to you?" She asked, touching my cheek.

"More importantly, how is it you can let people do this to you?" She asked, slightly frowning, her eyes moist.

"Please don't cry." I said, cupping the right side of her cheek.

"I made you lunch!" She wiped off the tears in her eyes before they could fall, and then flash me a smile.

"I am very hungry." I said.

"I know." She poked my stomach.

"No!" I covered my stomach.

"Eh?" She looked at me, confused.

"I am fat." I pouted.

"You are fat? Is that a new term for skinny?" She mocked.

"I..." She shoved a spoonful of food into my mouth.

"Shut up and eat." She warned.

"Feed me." I said.

"Why? You don't have hands?" She asked.

"I do, but I have no idea how to use them." I said, staring at my hands.

"Yang Seungho, when did you become cheeky like that?" She asked.

"Are you regretting?" I asked.

"Well~" She sighed.

"Don't you dare!" I threatened.

"Yang Seungho!" I heard someone shout, and then my eyes snapped open.

"." I muttered to myself after realizing I had fell asleeep, standing.

"Are you okay? You looked like you were going to pass out from afar." My team mate said.

"I.. I..." I had nothing to say.

"It's lunch time. Everyone has gone to eat." He said.

I nodded and stepped down, still feeling a little wobbly.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yea. I am good." I smiled, looking around.

"Screw that mad man. Maybe you need more rest." He said as he walked.

So it was all a dream? Minjeong did not come after all?

Min Jeong's POV

I played a game on my phone while waiting for Seungho to knock off work. I was trying to distract myself from worrying about it. For the entire day, I was wondering if he was okay, but as much as I wanted to go visit him during lunch, I had a lot on my hand, and besides, the carnival owner was starting to get suspicious of me. With my relationship with Seungho now, I cannot risk anyone jinxing it.

I looked up when I heard someone knock on the window of my car. I smiled when I saw it was Seungho. I unlocked the car to let him in.

"Hi~" I smiled.

He smiled slightly and nodded as a greeting. He was not like this usually but perhaps he was tired after going back to his damn job after a week.

"Are you alright?" I asked, smoothing his hair, at the same time eying his body for new injuries.

"Yea." He nodded, turning away.

"Tired?" I asked.

"Yea." He responded, hugging onto the seat belt, his eyes closed.

"Then rest." I said, patting his back before starting to drive again.

I drove slowly as he would get car sick if I drove too quickly, and also, I wanted to spend this special time we have together in the car.

I stole occasional glances at him. His back rise and fall calmly as he slept. I grabbed the blanket meant for Aeri and put it over him.

He sat up abruptly as I was driving and turned to me looking like an angry child.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Why!?" He asked angrily.

"Why what?" I asked, confused.

I was trying to turn to the side lane so I could stop the car, resulting in a bunch of angry drivers slamming their horns at me, but their anger could not beat the one in my car.

"What's going on?" I asked when I finally could stop the car.

"Why didn't you come during lunch today!? Why!?" He asked, pouting now.

"What?" I asked, almost laughing.

As ridiculous as this can get, I cannot deny that I find it so damn cute.

"I am sorry." I apologized.

He looked speechless for a moment, and then pouted again.

"I should have came. Were you waiting for me?" I asked.

"No. Why would I wait for you?" He looked away.

"Aye~ so does that mean I can just forget about coming every afternoon?" I .

"Are you really going to do that!?" He puffed his cheeks in anger.

"I wasn't planning to, but why would I want to go to a place where no one is waiting for me? Would you?" I asked.

He looked down, his lower lip stuck out.

"Okay, okay! Don't sulk, don't sulk! I will come definitely! Aigoo! Even if I can't make it, I will let you know. Okay?" I said, poking his lips.

"Even if you can't make it, you have to come to me and tell me you couldn't!" He insisted.

"What!?" I laughed.

How cute, my angry boy~

***

I let him off first so he could pick Aeri and I could park my car, go home and take a shower before heading to his place again.

"See you later." I said.

"Be careful." He said, ruffling my hair.

"Of you?" I .

"Tsk!" He pouted.

"What's with you and pouting today!?" I laughed.

"Stop bullying me!" He frowned.

"Opps!!" I stuck out my tongue at him.

"Go shower and come quickly! You still got to cook!" He said.

"Omo! Am I your cook now?" I asked.

"Nope. You are my girlfriend." He said.

"Who cooks." He continued cheekily.

"Fine! I am leaving!" I slammed the door close. As I drove off, I could still see him laughing. Idiot~

Seungho's POV

I walked in only after seeing Min Jeong's car disappear.

"Oh, Seungho! You're here." Ahjumma smiled as she opened the door for me.

"Hello." I greeted.

"Where's....?" She looked behind me. She was looking for Min Jeong.

"She went home to shower." I said.

"Ahh~ I see." She smiled.

"Where is Aeri?" I asked, curious as I did not hear her voice.

"She's asleep." Ahjumma said softly.

"Asleep? Is she okay?" I asked.

Aeri is not the type of baby who sleeps easily, unless she is feeling unwell.

"She's fine. I took her out this afternoon, she must have drained off her energy in the playground." Ahjumma explained.

"Ahhh~ Thank you for taking care of her." I said.

"Please don't say that. She's a bundle of joy." She said as she showed me into the room.

I smiled when I saw my baby girl sleeping soundly on the bed. I picked her up gently, careful not to wake her.

I mouthed 'thank you' to Ahjumma before heading out.

"Baby must be so tired today." I pat her back gently as I headed home.

"Shhhh~" I cooed as she made small sounds.

"Puppy~" She muttered, tugging on my hair.

"Not puppy, sweetie. It's Appa." I said.

"Hmph!" She smacked my head.

"Omo!" I got a shock.

"You hit me for puppy? Wah~ I am so disappointed." I said.

She woke up and giggled, and then suddenly kissed me on my cheek.

"Aye~" I made faces at her, causing giggles from her.

How could I ever get angry with her?

"Noooooooo~" She yelled when I tried to put her down.

"Aigoo~ Lazy girl~" I .

She nuzzled her face into my neck.

"It's ticklish!" I laughed.

She kept doing it, amusing herself.

Even when we arrived home, she refused to let me put her down.

"You are not letting me do anything else but carry you, right?" I said.

She yawned and rested her head against my shoulder, her grip on me tighter.

"When Min Jeong comes, you wouldn't want me anymore." I smacked her bum lightly.

She frowned at me.

"Oops. Sorry." I laughed.

She went back to resting against me, biting onto my shirt.

"My shirt is dirty, Aeri ah~" I said, pushing away.

She chewed onto my finger like it was a toy.

"Hey~" I looked at her.

She killed me with her innocent, huge eyes.

"Stop killing me~~" I whined.

"Who is killing you?" A familiar voice said.

I turned around. Min Jeong was standing at the door, dressed casually, in her arms, a puppy.

"PUPPY!! PUPPY!!" Aeri yelled, smacking me as she struggled to get down.

"Okay! Okay! Aigoo!" I let her down.

She ran towards Min Jeong, who prevented her reach from the puppy.

For a split second, my heart ached at Aeri's extremely disappointed face.

"Don't I get a hello kiss?" Min Jeong asked, here cheek turned to Aeri.

"MUACK!" Aeri planted a loud, sloppy kiss on Min Jeong's cheek.

"Eww~" Min Jeong laughed, but her expression does not look like she hated the kiss at all.

She let the puppy down, and both Aeri and the puppy look like long lost friends, tackling each other as they rolled about. Or rather, it looks like Aeri was trying to fight the helpless puppy.

The puppy Min Jeong saved that day was a Golden Retriever. She brought it to the vet and seems like it was really healthy. No idea how it got up the tree though, but it does not really matter.

"Look at her~ All puppy like~" Min Jeong commented.

"Are you calling her a dog?" I asked.

"I'm calling her cute." She punched my arm playfully.

"You are the dog." She said.

"Oh, right. Woof!" I imitated.

Aeri and the puppy turned over immediately to look at us.

"Seems like you make a great puppy too!" Min Jeong messed my hair before heading into the kitchen.

"Puppy?" Aeri asked.

"You are strangling him." I pointed.

The poor thing was whimpering as Aeri unconsciously squeezed him.

"OPPS!!" Aeri laughed, letting the puppy go.

It jumped onto her and they both started their tackling game again.

"Please don't hurt yourself or puppy." I said before heading to the kitchen.

"Not playing with them?" Min Jeong asked.

"No. I am not wanted there." I said.

"You aren't wanted here too." Min Jeong said.

"Then... Where should I go?" I pouted.

"Awww~" She pinched my cheek and fed me with a slice of omelette.

"What's for dinner?" I asked, looking at the food she has prepared. There were omelette, potatoes, and some veggies that were uncooked.

"I am not sure. I am just cooking randomly." She said.

"Oh." I muttered.

I stood aside and watch her busy herself, occasionally glancing at Aeri and the puppy to make sure none of them got hurt.

***

"Dinner's ready!" I announced as I brought the food out. In the end, Min Jeong decided that she would make omurice.

"Aeri! It's dinner time." I said.

"Puppy!! Come!!" She grabbed the puppy by its tail and dragged it along. The poor thing was barking softly.

"Aeri ah!! Not like that!" I hurried over to them.

"You don't have to drag puppy like that. You just need to ask it to come with you." I said, pulling her hand away from the puppy's tail.

"COME!!!" She said, pulling the puppy's ear as well as my hair.

"AERI AH!" I exclaimed.

"What's the commotion... HAHAHAHAHA!" Min Jeong burst into laughter when she saw us.

"Sweetheart, you can't do this." She said, tapping Aeri's hands so she would release both the puppy and me.

Aeri looked at her, confused.

"Like that." Min Jeong said.

"You hold Appa's hand when you want him to come with you." She said, putting Aeri's palm onto mine. I clutch her baby hand gently.

"And to call puppy, you just gotta pat him once gently on his head, like that." She held onto Aeri's palm as she guided her to pat the puppy.

"And then you tell him to follow you." She said as she demonstrated.

Aeri dragged me along to the dining table while puppy followed behind.

"Let's wash your hands first, shall we?" Min Jeong asked as she scooped Aeri up into her arms.

I had an awkward staring session with the puppy while the both of them were in the kitchen.

"Hi, dog." I waved.

He barked once. I guess he said hi. And that marked the end of our conversation too.

Aeri now likes it better when Min Jeong feeds her. Although I could finally eat properly, I cannot help but feel slightly left out too.

"Oh, Aeri!" Min Jeong called our excitedly out of a sudden. 

"Give puppy a name." She said.

"I thought you wanted to name the dog puppy?" I asked.

"Aye~ how insincere." She said.

"But you said it!" I looked at her, confused.

"Aeri will give puppy a name!" She said.

"Name?" Aeri asked.

Min Jeong nodded.

Aeri looked like she was thinking hard. I tried to give her some suggestions but it resulted in me getting kicked by Min Jeong.

"Let her do it." Min Jeong frowned.

"Ouh." I tried to look pitiful, but it obviously was not working.

"Take your time to think, sweetheart." Min Jeong said as she fed her.

After feeding her, we left her to play by herself while we finally could eat.

"It's yummy." I commented.

"Really?" She smiled proudly.

"It's sweet." I said.

"Sweet? Is there something wrong with your taste buds?" She asked, shoving a big scoop of rice into .

"IT'S NOT SWEET!" She said while chewing.

"It's sweet to me because it's cooked by you." I said.

And before I could dodge, I had a wave of rice flying onto my face, followed by a roaring laughter from her.

"OH ! I AM SORRY!" She apologized, but was still laughing.

Aeri stretched over to my face.

"You're still the best." I smiled, and that is when she started feeding me with the rice.

"Aigoo! Aeri, you can't do that. It's dirty." Min Jeong said.

Aeri grinned and started feeding Min Jeong instead. It was my turn to laugh now.

"Alright, alright. It's enough." Min Jeong laughed.

After settling Aeri, she turned to me.

"Sorry, but you were just so funny!" She said.

"How was that funny?" I asked.

"I thought it was sweet." I murmured under my breath.

"It's so sweet it's funny!" She pinched my cheek.

"You don't like it?" I asked.

"Well, while it is cute, you don't have to try be someone you are not." She said.

"But what if this is me?" I asked.

"Then by all means, carry on." She said.

"And you will give me a rice facial each time?" I asked.

She burst into laughter again. The thing about Min Jeong, she is never afraid of showing her real emotions, be it happy or sad, and that is what I admire about her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked.

"I am just wondering how is it like to be you." I said.

"Oh, it's not fun. So don't bother." She said as a matter-of-factly.

“PANDY!” Aeri exclaimed just as I was about to reply Min Jeong.

“What?” Min Jeong asked, turning to Aeri.

“Pandy!” Aeri said again, pointing at the puppy.

“You want to name puppy ‘Pandy’?” Min Jeong asked.

“Pandy!” Aeri exclaimed again, squeezing the puppy’s face this time.

“But… it sounds like panda.” Min Jeong said.

“Pandy! Pandy!” Aeri insisted.

“Alrighty~ Pandy it shall be. Pandy, do you like your name?” Min Jeong asked the puppy.

It barked and jumped onto Aeri, her face, giving my baby girl a slight shock.

“Naughty!” Aeri pouted. She started chasing the poor puppy around. Min Jeong and I were both laughing messes. Pandy, do you not know better to not mess with my Aeri?

In the midst of laughing, I stole a glance at Min Jeong. If this is a dream, then I would never want to wake up.