Try

What Is Pain?

Seungho's POV

"You're going to be late if you don't leave now." Min Jeong said.

She squashed my cheeks when I pouted.

"Don't worry. Go." She said.

"But Aeri..." I muttered.

"You are acting like a mother having to go back to work after her maternity leave." She laughed.

What she says is almost true. I have been spending so much time with Aeri now that having to part with her to go back to my usual work schedule is unbearable.

"Apapa!" Aeri called out, waddling towards Min Jeong and I like a baby penguin as she tried to manage carrying my shoes to me.

"Thank you, my baby." I said, taking the shoes from her.

She let out a sigh and let herself collapse into my embrace.

"Aigoo~ You're tired, aren't you?" I laughed, kissing her on her hair.

She snuggled her face into my chest.

"Come on, go already. Don't you get her message? She passing your shoes to you is asking you to leave." Min Jeong said.

I looked up at her.

"No one wants you here." She said cheekily.

"Alright." I said, giving Aeri a kiss.

"Be a good girl, baby." I said.

She nodded.

Pandy ran up to me, wagging his tail vigorously. I picked him up and gave him a kiss on the top of his head.

"Be good." I said, before releasing him to let him run.

"What about me!?" Min Jeong asked with wide eyes when I walked pass her towards the door.

"Didn't you say you don't want me here?" I asked.

"Aye! You know that was a joke." She said.

"Was it?" I .

"Of course! Are you going to be petty?" She pouted.

I pulled her closer to be, planting a kiss on her lips.

"Take care." I said.

"You take care." She said.

I pinched her nose gently.

"Let me know when you've arrived." She said.

"Definitely. See you tomorrow." I said before kissing her again on her cheek.

"Go, go." She gestured.

As reluctant as I was, I left.

I turned back to take one last look before I go. Aeri used to sulk and get angry with me, but now she is happily playing with Pandy. I ought to feel relieve, but instead I felt upset. My baby girl is not upset about me leaving anymore. She is comfortable with not having me.

“She’ll always be your baby. You are irreplaceable in her life. Stop looking as if Pandy or myself have replaced you. Because we never would.” Min Jeong said, cupping my cheeks.

“I’m not.” I tried to deny.

“Whatever~” She rolled her eyes, laughing.

I stole a quick kiss from her, taking her aback by my sudden actions.

“Bye!” I winked and ran off before she could react.

***
“HYUNG!!!!!” Kikwang exclaimed, running out from behind the counter and throwing himself onto me, knocking the wind out of me for a split second.

“You’re fat!” I .

“Am I!?” He asked, squeezing his flat stomach.

“No.” I smacked his stomach before pushing him aside.

“Stop it!” He pouted.

“What? Working?” I asked as I put on the apron.

“Calling me fat!” He grumbled.

“I didn’t!” I laughed.

“I hate you, hyung.” He said.

“Okay, I am leaving.” I said.

“What!?” He blocked the exit.

“It’s been so long since I last met you, but seems like you have not changed a single bit.” I said.

“Of course!” He said proudly, obviously not understanding me.

I sincerely envy that he was able to retain a small part of innocence in him as he matured into an adult. Please remain cute like that, Kikwang ah~

 He spent the whole night talking about everything and anything. He must have been bored working alone all these time. Although it was noisy, I did not stop him. How could I after seeing how excited and happy he is?

“How’s your studies?” I asked him when I finally had the chance to.

He looked at me, and then shrugged his shoulders.

“What do you mean by that?” I asked.

“Hyung, you know I don’t really care whether I make it or not because I know I wouldn’t anyway.” He said as he rearranged the cups to avoid my gaze.

“Lee Kikwang.” I called out sternly.

He stopped what he was doing, but did not look up.

“You didn’t even try.” I said.

“I don’t have to try to know I can’t.” He said.

“What nonsense is this!?” I raised my voice. I know I should not have.

He looked up at me as if I slapped him across his face.

“I… I mean… I know you hate it, but it’s essential. Don’t label yourself without even trying. Scratch that, don’t even label yourself. The world can call you stupid, but as long as you believe you aren’t, you will never be.” I said.

He sighed and looked down.

“I’ll help you.” I said.

He looked like he was in deep thoughts. Initially I thought he was thinking of an answer to knock me flat down, but instead he asked me the cutest thing ever.

“Do I have to pay for tuition?” He asked.

I laughed so hard I collapsed onto the floor.

***
The boss of the cafe, being as nice as ever, allowed me to tutor Kikwang during work hours.

“Make sure he does well.” He told me with a fatherly smile.

I would come in earlier to take over Kikwang so he could focus on studying. When there was not anyone at night, I would focus on answering his questions. It was tough on him having to focus on studying, something he never paid attention to, but that only lasted for a week, after that, he was quickly got into the mood and was not as restless as before, in fact, he was more focused than I thought he would be.

With my minimum knowledge, I tried my best to help him. I told Min Jeong about Kikwang studying for the exams and she volunteered to help out too. Since she was better in languages, she helped him out with that, while I did the mathematics and science part. But because she had to take care of Aeri, she could not come in too often, therefore most of their communication were via video calls.

 “Do you like languages better?” I could not help but ask Kikwang one day.

“Eh?” He looked up at me.

“I mean.. you seem to enjoy languages better.” I said, flipping his English textbook.

“Well, I am better at it, so I guess I like it a little more?” He answered.

“Really.” I muttered.

“Hyung, what is your real question?” He asked in a teasing tone.

“Nothing.” I threw the textbook at him and turned to head back to the counter to make myself a drink.

“Aye, hyung! You can’t lie to me!” He said.

“Study!” I threw the cloth at him.

“Let me call Min Jeongie.” He said, fishing out his phone.

“Why are you calling her!? Don’t call her! Aeri must be about to sleep now. Don’t you dare wake my daughter up! Besides, you’re doing mathematics now!” I said, running to snatch the phone from him.

“I want to do English now!” He said, hiding the phone away from me.

The both of us were wrestling on the couch. We froze when we heard the bells on the door sound, indicating someone coming in. But no one comes at this time.

“Are we disturbing something?” A familiar voice asked.

I turned to see Min Jeong looking at me strangely. Aeri looked confused too.

“It’s not like that!” I exclaimed. In a hurry to get off Kikwang, I tripped over my own feet and sent myself crashing against the table and then onto the floor.

“Oh my god!” I heard Min Jeong exclaimed, and then pairs of hands stretched out to pull me out.

“Are you okay? Where hurts?” Min Jeong asked worriedly.

I looked at her. She gasped a little, and then bit her lower lip and looked down.

“Sorry.” She muttered.

“Sorry? For what? Silly~” I laughed, messing her hair.

“Do you feel uncomfortable anywhere?” Kikwang rephrased Min Jeong’s question. I guess the studying really did help.

“I am fine.” I smiled.

Aeri hugged my legs and kissed me on my back.

“Hey, baby. It’s way passed your bed time.” I said, carrying her up and snuggling my face into her neck, causing loud laughter from her.

“She doesn’t want to sleep.” Min Jeong said, smoothing Aeri’s hair.

“I think she misses you.” She continued.

“You miss me?” I asked Aeri.

She squeezed my cheeks and giggled.

“You have a bruise.” Min Jeong said, pouting.

I was so engrossed with Aeri that I did not realize Min Jeong had lifted the back of my shirt.

“It’ll go away.” I assured her.

“On your arm too.” She said.

“Don’t worry.” I kissed her on her cheek.

“What the hell were the two of you doing?” She frowned.

“We…” I stuttered, looking at Kikwang for help.

Kikwang let out a cheeky grin. He was trying to strike some sort of deal with me. I was reluctant, but I agreed anyway. Min Jeong was angry, and I would do anything to appease her anger.

“Hyung was trying to take the phone away from me.” Kikwang said.

My eyes widened. He was supposed to help me!

“I could tell that much.” Min Jeong said. Her eyes darted between Kikwang and I, waiting for an answer impatiently.

I bit down on my jaw as I watch Kikwang grab Min Jeong’s arm as he lean in closer to her. He smirked at me before turning to Min Jeong, his lips inches away from her cheek. I could feel myself trembling as I suppressed the strongest urge to shove Kikwang against the wall and punch the life out of him for doing this, but I had Aeri in my arms. My eyes widened as he turned his head slowly, his stupid, thick lips looking as if they would brush across Min Jeong’s cheek.

Lee Kikwang, what are you doing with my girlfriend? Are you tired of living!?

***

Seungho:  My eyes widened as he turned his head slowly, his stupid, thick lips looking as if they would brush across Min Jeong’s cheek.