First Trimester - So this is pain

What Is Pain?

***
"Seungho. Seungho!" I opened my eyes when I felt someone shake me.

"Yea?" I asked tiredly. I cannot remember the last time I actually felt refreshed.

"It's time to go." G.O said. He together with some others are my closer friends in the carnival.

"Okay." I said, helping myself up.

I was starting to feel more intense aches and true to Doojoon's words, my belly feels slightly swollen despite the fact I have not been able to eat anything since that day.

"You look really sick." He said as he helped me up.

"Just really tired." I said.

"Min Jeong wouldn't be happy seeing you like this. You got to take care." He said.

They all knew Min Jeong, and they love her. Then again, it is so hard not to love that angel. They were all saddened when they found out what happened.

"WHAT ARE YOU GUYS STILL WAITING FOR!?" The disgusting voice all of us hated so much yelled.

"The day you get caught." G.O muttered under his breath, but loud enough for me to hear.

I let out a small smile.

"What so funny!?" He grabbed the neck of my top.

"I'm just really happy to be working for you." I said.

"Well, you ought to be." He said, letting me go.

I made my way outside. The scorching sun made me feel even worse than I am already feeling.

When I am finally standing up there, I closed my eyes, hoping that everything would be over soon. It did not take long for the first person to come over.

"Look at this rude bastard. How dare he close his eyes to the ones paying his wage?!" He said.

"Should I wake him up?" He asked.

People cheered for him, but I did not open my eyes. I could hear him search for a 'tool'.

"If you open your eyes, I will go easy on you." I heard him say.

I still have that little pride in me to keep my eyes closed.

"Stubborn people get no where." He said. I could sense the mocking in his voice.

I had a sudden strange feeling about this. Like something inside me is telling me that I should not disobey him.

The moment I opened my eyes, I saw his evil smirk, followed by him swinging the bat against my stomach. I felt the blow, but this time it felt different. I really felt this blow. I opened my mouth to scream but no voice came out. I could not breathe. I clutched onto my stomach and collapsed onto ground. I was gasping. For the first time in my life, I felt pain. Intense pain.

"SEUNGHO!!!" I looked up. Junhyung was running towards me.

My eyes blurred and I felt wet all over my chin. He looked so shocked. I felt something drip all over my hand. I looked down and saw blood. I am puking blood.

"Seungho! Seungho!" He cradled me in his arms.

Everyone around looked shocked. The person who hit me, his cocky face paled.

Every breath I took hurt like crazy. It was to the point I had to stop myself from breathing.

I never felt like this before. I have no idea how to deal with this pain. What do I do?

A lot of people crowded over me. I saw policemen running around. I saw the carnival boss got arrested, as well as the people who came for this. Everyone was yelling. Some were yelling my name, some were cursing loudly, policemen were yelling out orders. It was so noisy. I looked away, in hope to avoid the mess.

"Seungho ah~ Seungho hyung!" Junhyung called out, forcing me to look at him.

"Mmm~" This was the only sound I could make out. I lean against his elbow, looking behind.

Looking at me from afar was a very familiar figure. She was smiling at me and mouthing something I could not make out.

"Min..." I choked.

"No..." My eyes started blurring from the tears.

"What is it?" Junhyung asked.

"No...." I muttered. She was starting to disappear. My Min Jeong is starting to disappear.

"Don't..." I cried. Min Jeong ah, if I cry hard enough would you come back to me?

***

Junhyung's POV

"DOOJOON!? YOON DOOJOON!" I screamed over the phone.

"What is it!? What is it!?" I could picture him jumping up, looking around. It would have been such a cute sight should I not be in such a hurry.

"Where are you!?" I yelled.

"Me? I.. I.." He seemed confused.

Of course he would be. I just woke him up from his sleep after being on a 36-hours shift.

"Wherever you are, please come now. I need you now." I said.

"Where are you?" He sounded alert and professional instantly.

"Your hospital." I said.

He didn't even say 'okay' or 'on my way'. I could hear him throw the phone aside and then dash out of wherever he was.

"You'll be fine." I muttered to the already unconscious Seungho.

I sat outside the ER, waiting patiently for Doojoon.

"YONGIE!!!" He shouted across the hall. He ran towards me, his hair in the biggest mess ever, his clothes all over the place.

I saw his eyes widened and then he grabbed me.

"WHAT HAPPENED!? WHO DID THIS TO YOU!?" He shouted, tears welling up in his eyes.

I could feel the entire ER staring at us but my only concern was this man infront of me and the man inside.

"I am fine. Look. I'm perfectly fine. It's not me." I calmed him down.

He had to check my body for injuries to be sure. I let him do it anyway.

"It's Seungho. Please go in quick." I said.

"Seungho?" He asked.

I had no time to explain. He had to see for himself. I pointed to the curtains. He pulled them open, revealing a rookie doctor and three nurses struggling to save Seungho.

"Let me do it." Doojoon said.

He blocked out all emotions and gave out instructions expertly. I stood at a corner watching him work, and I could not help but fall in love with him all over again.

He came out after 20 minutes or so, perspiring and looking serious. I had to fight to urge to wipe off the perspiration on his forehead.

"He broke two ribs. One pierced slightly into his lung, causing a pneumothorax, which means collapsed lung. We will put him on a ventilator to aid his breathing. It should heal soon. If not, we have to insert a chest tube. He has some internal bleeding around his abdominal area because of the blow, therefore his movements should be restricted so as to allow himself to completely heal. Most importantly he needs to remain calm. He is also quite malnourished. We will put him on a drip for now, but do help to coax him to eat." He explained professionally.

It felt as though the person standing in front of me is another doctor, not my Doojoon.

"Thank you, Doctor Yoon." I .

"Aye~" Now, this is my Doojoon.

"Sorry for waking you up." I said, brushing my hand across his arm slightly.

"I would be mad if you didn't woke me up for this." He said.

"Go back and get some rest. You look so tired. Your dark circles are about to touch the floor." I said.

He laughed out loudly.

"Nah~ I am awake already. I shall just go check on him." He said.

I followed him, not insisting my way, because I know given his energy level now, the moment he sits down, he will fall asleep.

When we entered Seungho's ward, it was so quiet that the beeping sound of the machine was all that could be heard.

"He looks fine." I said.

Doojoon nodded as he checked Seungho's vital signs.

"Sit with me." I said, gesturing him to come over, in which he obediently did.

"Thankfully you got there in time. Another blow to his ribs, he might have died on the spot." He said.

"If I was a step early, he wouldn't even have to suffer this." I said.

"Think on the bright side, baby." He said, leaning against my shoulder.

"Why is it that two people in love with each other have to go through so much hardship?" I asked, moving slightly so he could lie better.

"It's all these hardship gone through together that make the relationship stronger." His speech slurred.

"But look at the both of them now..." I said.

"They'll make it..." His eyes closed.

"They have to." I said.

"I have to tell you something about him..." He mumbled.

"What?" I asked.

No response.

"Doo?" I called out.

No response.

"Already?" I asked when I saw him asleep.

He responded with a sudden loud snore. I laughed out loudly, but of course that would not wake him.

"Aigoo~" I shifted myself so he could be more comfortable.

He snuggled his face into my shoulder and slept with his mouth wide open.

***

Seungho's POV

I opened my eyes slowly, adjusting to the light.

When I could finally see, I was shocked by Junhyung's glare.

"Wh... what?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

"I'm so disappointed in you." He said, walking off.

He came back awhile later with Doojoon behind him. Doojoon looked at me with guilt in his eyes. What exactly is going on?

"I'm sorry." He whispered to me as he did the checks on me.

But what was he sorry about?

"He's fine. He just needs ample rest and..." Junhyung cut him off before he could finish.

"Get out." Junhyung said in a low, cold voice.

"Yes." Doojoon scrambled out without even looking back.

"What's... wrong?" I asked dumbly.

He glared harder at me.

"I'll tell you my theory and you tell me if I am right, okay?" He said.

I nodded.

"Our friendship is just one-sided. I call you hyung, but you never saw me as your brother. I'm just a lawyer who happened to linger around for too long." He said.

"What? No." I said, confused.

"Then why did you hide it from me? From us? Until when did you intend to keep to yourself?" He asked in a calm but scary voice.

"I..." I had no idea what to say.

Now I understood Doojoon's guilt and apology.

"I'm so disappointed in you. I thought we were friends. I thought we were brothers. Why? Is it because I am gay, that's why you are afraid of being close to me?" He asked. He said the last sentence so softly, choking back on his own tears.

"No. Nothing of that sort. Don't be silly." I said, holding his hand.

"Then why?" He asked.

"I just didn't want to burden any of you. All of you helped me out so much. All of you are so tired. You guys are doing so much more than I deserve." I said.

"Why do you and Min Jeong keep saying the same thing?! What do you mean by burden? How is it burdensome? Isn't this what friends are for!? We share problems, we solve it together!" He got slightly agitated.

"Shhh~" I rubbed his arm.

"The both of you are getting on my nerves. I hate the both of you so much. Both of you should just drown in your own speech!" He yelled.

I cannot help but smile at his little tantrum.

The door opened slightly, revealing Doojoon peaking in from outside.

"Just who said you could enter?" Junhyung glared.

"Please don't cry! I'm so sorry!" Doojoon said, running to hug Junhyung quickly.

I looked at them and cannot help but smile.

"Go away!" Junhyung yelled, but he was the one hugging onto Doojoon tightly.

"Really? How?" Doojoon teased.

"Aish!" Junhyung pushed him away.

"Aigoo~ Don't be mad." Doojoon said, wiping Junhyung's tears.

"Sorry." I said.

"You ought to be." Junhyung said.

"It's his fault, baby. He threatened me." Doojoon accused.

"You are a grown man, and you allowed yourself to be threatened? How useless." Junhyung scoffed.

"What!?" Doojoon's eyes widened, and then he threw himself onto the couch, pouting.

Just as I was about to say something, the door opened revealing Kikwang and Aeri.

"Appa!!!!" Aeri ran towards me, resting her chin on my arm, pouting.

"Why is my princess upset?" I asked.

"You are sick." She said, still pouting, poking my hand.

"Kiss me better then." I said.

She tiptoed and kissed me on my lips.

"All better now!" I smiled.

"Let's play!" She pulled my hand.

"Arghh~" I groaned in pain.

"Aeri! Aeri!" Doojoon jumped from the couch, carrying Aeri to Junhyung.

"We can't play?" Aeri asked with a pout.

"Of course we can." I said, feeling so bad for hurting.

"You could play of course, but gently." Junhyung said.

"Hyung...." Kikwang looked at me, jaw dropped.  I suddenly remember that no one has fed him on information yet. But from the looks of his face, I'm starting to wonder if it's a good time to tell him everything now.

***

His eyes were so wide I was afraid it would fall out.

"So you... you can feel pain now? And... you're pregnant on Min Jeong's behalf?" He asked.

"I'm gradually starting to feel the pain. I'm not pregnant, come on. I'm just... feeling what she's feeling. Okay, fine, maybe you can call me pregnant. Whatever." I said.

He stared at me as if I was some strange animal.

"In any case, I'm still a freak. Quit staring at me like that!" I lost my cool.

"I don't mean it that way!" He covered his eyes.

I laughed, but my ribs hurt, so I sounded like a dying whale.

"Take it easy, take it easy." Doojoon said.

"This is just... too much to absorb." Kikwang said, pulling his hair.

"It takes awhile. We are all absorbing it. Especially him, the fact he is feeling everything that is very foreign to his body." Doojoon said.

"Guys, I am still able and well. Don't worry. I can take care of myself." I said.

"I am sure." Junhyung said sarcastically.

"I am sorry." I apologized. I owed him an apology. In fact, I owe many people apologies. Especially Min Jeong.