Understand

What Is Pain?

Min Jeong's POV

"Hey!" He grabbed onto my forearm.

I turned to look at him.

"Don't.. don't go." He said.

"But.. you.." I muttered.

"No, no, no! You got it wrong! I didn't mean it the way I said it. I was just surprised to see you here." He said.

"Oh." I replied.

An awkward silence engulfed us.

"You ordered a mocha frappe with less whipped cream just now, didn't you? Take a seat while I go make it!" He said as he ran behind the counter.

I took a seat at the corner and set out my stuff for work.

"Here you go." He said.

I looked up and gasped at the size of the drink. I doubt there was a name for this size.

"This..." I stared at him in shock.

"Your mocha frappe!" He smiled.

"Are you smiling at me?" I asked, surprised.

"Do you see anyone else here?" He asked, looking around.

"No. Hahaha~" I took a sip of the drink.

"Woah~" I commented. It was the most awesome cup of mocha frappe I've ever drank. It was thick but at the same time not too sweet. It was the perfect cup of mocha frappe.

"Is it good?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Good. Enjoy your drink!" He said as he turned to walk back to the counter.

"Wait! How much is it?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"No! I have to pay for this!" I insisted, pulling out a 10,000 won note from my wallet.

"There's no price for this. I don't know how to charge you even if I wanted." He said.

"But..." I muttered.

"Take this as my apology for being so rude to you twice, okay?" He asked.

"But I was never angry!" I said.

"You're not?" He asked, looking surprised.

"Never was." I said.

"Oh... Ahh but whatever! Just enjoy the drink!" He said, heading back to behind the counter.

"Thanks." I said.

He nodded in acknowledgement.

I got down to work and was so engrossed in it I had no idea time passed so quickly. When I looked up from my laptop again, it was already 11.30PM.

"Damn~" I mumbled to myself as I stretched my aching body.

I turned to the counter and saw him with his back towards me, busying himself with something I could not see.

I took a sip of the melted mocha frappe while I surfed the net. I looked up when I saw him approaching me.

"Are you closing?" I asked him when I realized I was the only customer left.

He shook his head and placed a plate of pasta in front of me.

"I didn't order this..." I said, staring at the plate of food.

"I know, but you have to eat something." He said, handing the fork to me.

As much as I wanted to reject him, I was really hungry and the pasta looked really good.

"Eat up!" He urged.

"I'll pay." I said.

"No paying, only eating." He said.

“But…” I tried to argue.

“Eat!” He said.

I gave in because I was really hungry.

“What?” I asked, forgetting that my mouth is full.

I looked up to find him grinning at me.

“Nothing. You’re really hungry, aren’t you?” He asked, handing me a piece of tissue and then pointed to the corner of his mouth.

“.” I muttered as I hurriedly wiped my mouth.

“Sorry. I was hungry.” I said, feeling embarrassed.

“I know.” He smiled.

“Hee~” I looked around awkwardly.

“Do you want more?” He asked.

“Eh? No, no. I’m good. Thanks.” I said.

He nodded.

“Busy at work?” He asked, gesturing to my laptop.

“Ahh~ Yes. It’s a never-ending job.” I said.

“Is it still that show you were working on?” He asked.

“Erm… Yea~” I was starting to feel nervous about where this conversation might end up.

“I… I was sincere about being friends with you though.” I said.

“Why? So you could get something out of me?” He asked.

“No. Of course not.” I said.

“You know, everyone who says that does the opposite in the end.” He said.

“I am sincere!” I insisted.

“We’ll see~” He said, getting up and going back to behind the counter.

“But, did you quit your job in the carnival?” I asked.

He looked at me with the ‘I told you so~’ look.

“I don’t mean anything! I am just curious!” I said.

“I didn’t quit.” He said as he cleaned the cups.

“But you’re here…” I said.

“I work there in the day, and here at night. Since the carnival is closed for now, I work here full time.” He said.

“You have two jobs?” I asked, shocked. Doesn’t this guy need to rest?

He nodded.

“Aren’t you tired?” I asked.

“I am.” He said.

“Then why are you taking two jobs? Don’t you need to rest? Or spend time with your daughter?” I asked, but after asking, I realized I asked too much.

He sighed as he put the cup down. He looked at me in the eyes, not saying anything.

“Did… did I ask too much? Sor.. sorry~” I muttered.

“It’s not the jobs that are tiring me out.” He said.

“Not the job?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“It’s life.” He smiled.

My jaw dropped slightly as I stood frozen in front of him. Was there a hidden message to his reply?

I was about to say something when the bells that indicates someone coming in rang.

“HYUNG!” I turned to find a young, muscular guy skipping into the café. I almost laughed out at how mismatched his body and actions were.

“Kiki! What are you doing here!?” Seungho shouted.

Does he ask everyone that? But the difference is while saying that to me, he seemed angry, and while saying that to him, he seemed worried. And, is that grown man’s name Kiki? That does not sound very suitable for someone with a body like his.

“I woke up and couldn’t sleep again, so I thought I should come and at least take over the last few hours~ But seems like I came in the wrong time? Am I disrupting something?” He asked, looking at Seungho, and then at me.

“No. Go home and rest!” Seungho said, smacking his head lightly.

“Owww~” The Kiki guy pouted.

“Go!” Seungho said, pushing him slightly.

“Are you chasing your manager away!?” He asked, his eyes widened.

He is the manager? But how? He looks so young.

“I am chasing my sick manager away.” Seungho said.

“Awww, hyung~ Let me stay!” He shook Seungho’s arm, trying to look cute.

Seungho tried to contain his laughter but failed in the end.

“Go sit at a corner and rest.” He gave in finally.

“Okay!” The Kiki guy said, skipping to the couch, plopping himself down.

I turned back to Seungho who smiled awkwardly at me.

“Tell me when you’re closing.” I said before heading back to my seat.

“Hyung, have you eaten?” Kiki asked Seungho.

“Erm… Yea.” Seungho said, looking as if he was avoiding the question.

“Hyung, you’re lying.” Kiki said, getting out of his seat.

“I ate, I ate! I really ate! See!” Seungho pointed to the basin.

I was about to mind my own business when I remembered Seungho putting the plate he used to serve me the pasta just now into the basin.

“Pasta?” Kiki asked.

“Yea! Pasta.” Seungho said.

“You…” I gasped.

Seungho turned to me, glaring hard.

I stared back at him, not knowing how to feel. Did I just eat his dinner? I cannot seem to understand the entire situation now.